Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: In The Dark

Does the title of this episode refer to the writers?

If you toss something into a pit, you're not going to hear anything if the bottom is soft (maybe sand and vegetation).

Why was it so difficult to grasp the idea that a pair of tunnels could curve back and meet each other again down the line? Rhetorical question. Everyone on this show is profoundly stupid.

• Love 1

Oh, and for some reason my favorite line this episode was "I need to borrow your Prius". I don't know why, but it made me laugh.

I totally laughed at that line too.  Who says that?

UTD is my favorite Summer Comedy.

• Love 2

And built it in a dust storm! Good thing the high schoolers had already built the Eiffel Tower replica to hang the windmill from.   I like how school has all the bomb making supplies they could need, the survivalist's basement has enough food to feed all the townspeople for the foreseeable future, but they have to use random signs to make the windmill. 

If they come up with a logical, believable resolution to the Mystery of the Dome that does not involve hallucinogenics or dreams...well, then, I will be dreaming or under the influence myself while watching.

Does the title of this episode refer to the writers?

If you toss something into a pit, you're not going to hear anything if the bottom is soft (maybe sand and vegetation).

Why was it so difficult to grasp the idea that a pair of tunnels could curve back and meet each other again down the line? Rhetorical question. Everyone on this show is profoundly stupid.

The pit must represent the ever growing plot holes in this series and Sam jumping was obviously him ending his misery to leave the show.

Wow, I thought Revolution and the 100 were poorly written shows.  They seem Emmy worthy compared to this.  Oh where to start..

The science lady: "You don't trust me"?    Let's see..you conspired with Big Jim to poison a quarter of the town just so you could eat a little longer.  That would be a no, we don't trust you.  What an idiot.

And Joe and Norrie continue to be the most annoying two on this show.  They have met, got to like each other, fallen in love, cheated, had a fight and got back together and they have known each other about 4 minutes.  They are written like a bad teenage couple on a daytime soap.

Norrie: Mel was an original with the egg.  Maybe she can join with us and bring the egg back.

Joe: So now Angie is replaceable?!?

No, Joe, just her hand, but yes, she's replaceable in this instant.  Quit being such a drama queen about everything.

And now to Barbie, who was the one I kinda of liked and rooted for, but now that has ended.  That weak, pathetic speech to Sam about how he just tries to get by and Julia makes him a better person.  Oh gag, what happened to the tough guy.  Now he sounds like he needs therapy. 

The one funny thing about the episode happened in the diner.

Lady in diner: All raise their hands who want Jim to shut up and we ride out the storm.  (Many raise their hands.)

Is it possible the townsfolk are waking up and not just redshirts for Jim's next plan?  For about 10 minutes and they were right back to being lemmings.  Oh my.

Junior:  We were tracking Sam and Barbie and I tripped and there was an explosion and it caved in.

Julia:  But, where is Barbie?

He just told you.  I'm losing the will to live.

And how many times is Junior going to kill someone with scant evidence they committed a crime?  Hasn't he tried to hunt half the cast?  He's the worst police officer on TV.

And finally, what was the nonsense about the sandstorm?  The air is just about gone?!??!?  The sand is not going to stop all the oxygen from coming through the dome and even if it did, it would be a long time for the citizens to use it all.  They acted like the sand was glue.  And how the heck was one windmill supposed to do anything for the whole dome against a big storm?  This is insanity.

Every week, this show creates some dire circumstance that isn't that has a outlandish solution that isn't. 

Next week:  Sharknado Under the Dome....Jim looks for redshirt citizens to satisfy the hunger of the sharks.   Junior hunts down a hammerhead for a crime it may have committed.  The science lady tries to make a shark repellant out of supplies in the science lab.  And the wonder twins(triplets) reign down pink stars and unicorns on the sharks to make them docile.  And Barbie and Julia are off doing nothing to help the citizens because they don't care about anyone but themselves. 

All raise their hands who are rooting for the Sharks!!!!!

Edited by Jordan27
  • Love 7
Next week:  Sharknado Under the Dome....Jim looks for redshirt citizens to satisfy the hunger of the sharks.   Junior hunts down a hammerhead for a crime it may have committed.  The science lady tries to make a shark repellant out of supplies in the science lab.  And the wonder twins(triplets) reign down pink stars and unicorns on the sharks to make them docile.  And Barbie and Julia are off doing nothing to help the citizens because they don't care about anyone but themselves. 

All raise their hands who are rooting for the Sharks!!!!!

I would watch this.

• Love 1

These footprints are the only evidence we’ve seen of Lyle (Dwight Yoakam) in two-and-a-half episodes, despite the fact that this episode revolves around him, thereby proving that the only power capable of getting someone out of the Dome is Dwight Yoakam’s day rate.

Junior escapes the blast, but Barbie and Sam are trapped together, thus setting up “In the Dark” as a “bottle episode,” a device in TV dramas so named because of all the bottles of liquor viewers must consume to hold on to their sanity.

Thanks for the link, Cyanetta! I enjoyed the above comments as well as the others posted.

Sure wish they would stop starting out the show with the Previously on Under the Dome...Two weeks ago.  More and more stuff has happened in the two week period....relationships have started and stopped, people have been jailed and released, not to mention how many people have met their demise.  Can we at least make it Three weeks or even a month?

Sure wish they would stop starting out the show with the Previously on Under the Dome...Two weeks ago.  More and more stuff has happened in the two week period....relationships have started and stopped, people have been jailed and released, not to mention how many people have met their demise.  Can we at least make it Three weeks or even a month?

It only makes the character and plot changes on a whim even worse since they're reminding us about it.

Yes, if one went down a bit and one went up a bit and they crossed over each other and twisted around a bit it would be perfectly plausible. Plus, it would be very easy to get disoriented underground. Sigh. 

If I were the science teacher or Julia and were trying to think of a way to free Sam and Barbie, I don't think that setting off another explosive would be the first thing that came to mind.  I mean, it was an explosive that caused the cave in, so wouldn't setting off another explosion run the risk of just making more rocks fall?  My first thought, after realizing that I couldn't move the rocks out of the way, would be to get help - a lot of help.  Heck, these townspeople built gallows in an afternoon and constructed a windmill in a few minutes, it wouldn't take them more than an hour or so to clear out the rocks and shore up the tunnel so it doesn't cave in again. 

• Love 2

If I were the science teacher or Julia and were trying to think of a way to free Sam and Barbie, I don't think that setting off another explosive would be the first thing that came to mind.  I mean, it was an explosive that caused the cave in, so wouldn't setting off another explosion run the risk of just making more rocks fall? 

Surely in no time at all they could have forged a giant drill bit in a furnace (which they would quickly build) and have easily attached it to the windmill to drill down to the exact location where Barbie and Sam were trapped, right?

I am now convinced that this show is supposed to be TV's version of Sharknado. Silly Show. You should have had giant squid rain down on the town instead of butterflies.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

If I were the science teacher or Julia and were trying to think of a way to free Sam and Barbie, I don't think that setting off another explosive would be the first thing that came to mind.  I mean, it was an explosive that caused the cave in, so wouldn't setting off another explosion run the risk of just making more rocks fall?  My first thought, after realizing that I couldn't move the rocks out of the way, would be to get help - a lot of help.  Heck, these townspeople built gallows in an afternoon and constructed a windmill in a few minutes, it wouldn't take them more than an hour or so to clear out the rocks and shore up the tunnel so it doesn't cave in again. 

Because 'science', that's all the character does to justify ridiculous bs.

Yep, this was ridiculous as was their dialogue...

Science teacher:  Won't they get caught in the blast?

Julia:  They'll know to stay clear.

How would they know that?

• Love 1
I can sort of buy that many of the townspeople are prepared to believe him, given his long period of influence in the town, but Mrs. Grinnell? She stood up to him at his little meeting, but then believed what he said about Julia. I think Big Jim borrowed some glamoring powers from True Blood.

I think two or maybe three episodes ago, she was gushing about how she can ALWAYS trust Jim.  Then last episode, she told Julia she's the best thing ever.  This morning, she stood up to Jim.   By afternoon, she's backing Jim again because tsk tsk Julia abandoned everyone to save Barbie.  I would call her a fair-weathered friend, but there's never fair weather under the Dome.

Where did the sandstorm come from, let alone where did the sand in the sandstorm come from ?  There are no deserts nearby, and it just rained the other day (albeit red acidic rain, but rain nonetheless).  You would think they were in the Sahara.

I'll let the words of the Agricultural Scientist / Bioterrorist / Windmill Engineer / City Floorplan Keeper / Explosives expert / Farm Animal Inspector explain: "The acidity in the red rain fried the top soil".  

So soil + acid = sand from the Sahara.  Write that formula down, kids, and afterwards, you will have time to build more giant windmills.  Class dismissed.  And remember teachers work in high schools because they screwed up their lives.

The dialogue writers are really doing their darnest to make Julia sound like an idiot.  "You went through this... ... ... locker?"  Y - e - s, Julia.  

Barbie is amazing.  He can drive with sand and sludge covering the entire window.  Actually the Windmill Mobilization Committee is pretty amazing too, since no one has problems with sand being blown into their eyes.

One minute Barbie was ultra suspicious of Sam and hated his guts.  The next minute, he's revealing his deepest, most personal feelings.  If he hadn't seen the scar, what would be next?  A makeout session and an engagement?

How the hell did they get that windmill up that high?  I'm still laughing at Rebecca telling them to grab a giant windmill and "I had the kids working on some", like there are multiple giant windmills lying around in case the next calamity comes along which can be solved by one.

This is the third episode Junior has fallen for a dumb trick.  What a doofus.

So remember when Julia decided not to save Barbie's life on the gallows, and instead throw the egg into the lake?  Now the egg is back up again, and Barbie would have died for nothing.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

The dialogue writers are really doing their darnest to make Julia sound like an idiot.  "You went through this... ... ... locker?"  Y - e - s, Julia.

It's not that hard to do, especially considering everyone else is also completely brain dead.

So remember when Julia decided not to save Barbie's life on the gallows, and instead throw the egg into the lake?  Now the egg is back up again, and Barbie would have died for nothing.

Biggest waste of time and it was the 'cliffhanger': Barbie's life in danger, 'killing' Jim, and Julia and the egg nonsense.  All a completely waste of time.

I'll let the words of the Agricultural Scientist / Bioterrorist / Windmill Engineer / City Floorplan Keeper / Explosives expert / Farm Animal Inspector explain: "The acidity in the red rain fried the top soil".  

So soil + acid = sand from the Sahara.  Write that formula down, kids, and afterwards, you will have time to build more giant windmills.  Class dismissed.  And remember teachers work in high schools because they screwed up their lives.

Love the description of Rebecca - Unfortunately, I don't think that calling her ASBWECFKEEFAI will catch on.

The sand storm becomes a teensy bit more believable if you call it a dust storm.  Just a teensy bit more. 

So remember when Julia decided not to save Barbie's life on the gallows, and instead throw the egg into the lake?  Now the egg is back up again, and Barbie would have died for nothing.

Yeah, I don't think Julia really knows what the dome is saying.  And I don't think that ASBWECFKEEFAI really understands science well.  And I don't think that Norie and Joe are really in love.  But I do think the dog is having a grand time at a dog park in Zenith (no facts to support that one, but it will make me worry less when they  eventually have to deal with the Smoke Monster).. 

So soil + acid = sand from the Sahara.  Write that formula down, kids, and afterwards, you will have time to build more giant windmills.  Class dismissed.  And remember teachers work in high schools because they screwed up their lives.

If the rain was that acidic, wouldn't the acid have killed all the crops ?  Or the crops would have died because of all the topsoil turning to dust ?  Or the crops would have all been blown down by the wind ?   

Long story short, there should no longer be any viable crops left.  But no one seems to give a shit about that since they found the buffet at Andrea and her survivalist husband's house.

That giant windmill with the hose to wash down a TINY section of the dome wall still qualifies as the stupidest plot point I've seen on TV.

• Love 2

Rebecca The Science Guy: "I was teaching the students how to make giant windmills out of things they had in their backpack, but I got sidetracked." By "sidetracked" she meant "was crafting a plot to kill half of the town."

I've got to admit that the giant windmill made out of road signs was incredibly efficient. After only two minutes, and with only enough water as you can get from a half inch garden hose, the atmosphere of the entire town was as clear as the first day of spring.

I've got to admit that the giant windmill made out of road signs was incredibly efficient. After only two minutes, and with only enough water as you can get from a half inch garden hose, the atmosphere of the entire town was as clear as the first day of spring.

Too bad we don't have a Rebecca.  She could probably solve the problems of air pollution and global warming in an afternoon.  Right after she figures out how to prevent earthquakes and cure Ebola in the high school classroom lab.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Too bad we don't have a Rebecca.  She could probably solve the problems of air pollution and global warming in an afternoon.  Right after she figures out how to prevent earthquakes and cure Ebola in the high school classroom lab.

I just liked this post, but now I'm wondering if she wouldn't decide that the best way to take care of global warming, pollution, and Ebola would be to dump Ebola virus into the water supplies around the world. Fewer humans=fewer problems.

Hopefully, she's past that now, since she came to the huge epiphany that killing people is wrong.  Sometimes, you just can't grasp that idea until you try to mass murder a bunch of people.  She did it because she thought Big Jim was the real deal.  But now she knows Julia is the real deal.  And now, like Sam the murderer and Barbie the killer before her, Rebecca has Julia's seal of approval, so we must forgive her.

Now I'm imagining Rebecca telling world leaders that her students made a giant iceberg that can be placed into the oceans and powered with the giant windmill and the Earth will enter a cooling phase.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

I'm still laughing at Rebecca telling them to grab a giant windmill and "I had the kids working on some", like there are multiple giant windmills lying around in case the next calamity comes along which can be solved by one.

I think they mentioned using windmills for power in a prior episode. I recall some folks here noting that there wouldn't be any wind under a dome (IRL anyway).

Yeah, she mentioned that in the first episode of the season, I think.  When she came up with the brilliant idea of a giant electromagnet.  Everything is giant with her... no wonder she gravitated towards Big Jim.

• Love 1