Type keyword(s) to search

2021-2022 Squad

CrazyInAlabama
  • Start Topic

20 hours ago, Pau84 said:

“As much as I like Marissa (the human Golden Retriever), she really should take it easy in relationships.” 

The problem with this sentence is right here: Golden Retrievers don’t take it easy!

F1235EED-94EC-480C-B6FA-6984DF5B3052.thumb.jpeg.b0453c64e37e91de3feeb85691e3cb60.jpeg

Yep, she is showcasing her new relationship on Tiktok.

Oh lort 😂she needs to just enjoy being single

• Love 7
12 hours ago, mizzhyer said:

Oh lort 😂she needs to just enjoy being single

Kelli Q is the same… you don’t have to date and definitely not marry every guy you see.  

• Love 11
On 3/21/2022 at 9:06 AM, ShutterbugCAM said:

I actually don't have an issue with the length of Training Camp. I think it's necessary for the "weeding out" process, if you will. What I do have an issue with, is how many get taken into training camp solely with the intention of cutting them. That part is obviously all for the show, and with some girls it's kind of obvious that's the only reason they were taken into camp, which is totally unfair to those girls.

Forming a team right after finals does pose a few problems though. We have seen enough girls that were amazing with just a few dances, and particularly their own style. Training camp will show whether they are capable of literally going that extra mile as Shutterbugcam pointed out. 

Not sure if it should last that many weeks though. I'm sure they can achieve a lot in 3 to 4 weeks. And I fully agree with what was said on taking girls in as "cannon camera fodder" Just for the purpose of cutting them and make a "great" show. They really shouldn't do that. The audience for this show is more into the dance aspect than the tear jerking drama. Well, at least I am.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, LilyD said:

Forming a team right after finals does pose a few problems though. We have seen enough girls that were amazing with just a few dances, and particularly their own style. Training camp will show whether they are capable of literally going that extra mile as Shutterbugcam pointed out. 

Not sure if it should last that many weeks though. I'm sure they can achieve a lot in 3 to 4 weeks. And I fully agree with what was said on taking girls in as "cannon camera fodder" Just for the purpose of cutting them and make a "great" show. They really shouldn't do that. The audience for this show is more into the dance aspect than the tear jerking drama. Well, at least I am.

I would watch a documentary style show about making up the team, personally, and I think based on the success of "Cheer" on Netflix a lot of folks would.  The dance component is fantastic, and I think it's interesting watching how they put it all together for both the cheer/dance aspect as well as the appearances.  After all this time on the air, though, this show falls right along the same line as "The Bachelor" for me where sure, winning is nice, but look at all of the opportunities that can come along!  Some of the gals that didn't make the squad at all like Kat Dunn have been able to make strong connections and friendships that have been tremendously beneficial.  

Difference being that these women, even the ones who don't make the squad, have a skill other than being camera ready, of course.  KDunn isn't the best dancer out there, but she's still fun to watch and has a spark that popped on camera.  

I think that's a big part of why so many candidates are camera ready - it's not just being a cheerleader, you're featured on the show and can potentially also build your brand, as long as you're humble about it and don't tell Kelli.  

• Love 7
On 3/23/2022 at 1:54 AM, RhiRhi said:

Kelli Q is the same… you don’t have to date and definitely not marry every guy you see.  

she's such a sweet little pixie.....I never got the vibe she felt like she had to be in a relationship, just that she's a romantic, and a really lovely person.  I feel like most people have an innate instinct to measure others in accordance with their own standards, and that can sometimes mean you can be pretty vulnerable to giving the wrong people credit they don't deserve.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
On 3/20/2022 at 5:06 PM, sleepyjean said:

Calling on @ShellyB if she still gets the bat signal from this place. I believe she said that the idea of an extended training camp was introduced during her tenure on the team in the 90s.  I'd be curious to know how they explained this new way of doing things. Was it because it was truly so difficult to narrow down the talent, or were there other reasons?

I'd also be curious to know if it was always 5 nights a week, all summer long, or if it started out shorter or fewer nights a week and grew from there.

image.jpeg.71c283a4e62c39030c005345dfef4f31.jpeg

Received…technically, my Rookie season, Training Camp lasted until the first game. We were told that cuts would be made during TC, however, they could be happen at anytime throughout the season, and often there were seasonal casualties. We took our squad photo in late June, along with our headshots, so for the most part, our squad was pretty much decided by July. During my second year, the new girls were referred to as Training Camp Candidates, and were also told cuts would last through the summer. We took our squad photo that year in mid July, along with headshots. Pretty sure during most of my 5 yr tenure, photos were in July. Rehearsals have always been 4-5 nights a week, sometimes on the weekends if you were on Show Group….we would have 8 hour rehearsals, for 1-2 weekends to learn all show choreography…kind of like a mini camp. With all of this being said, auditions were in April, usually the first or second weekend for Prelims and Semis, then the last weekend for Finals. The two weeks in between Semis and Finals were for our individual interviews. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, ShellyB said:

image.jpeg.71c283a4e62c39030c005345dfef4f31.jpeg

Received…technically, my Rookie season, Training Camp lasted until the first game. We were told that cuts would be made during TC, however, they could be happen at anytime throughout the season, and often there were seasonal casualties. We took our squad photo in late June, along with our headshots, so for the most part, our squad was pretty much decided by July. During my second year, the new girls were referred to as Training Camp Candidates, and were also told cuts would last through the summer. We took our squad photo that year in mid July, along with headshots. Pretty sure during most of my 5 yr tenure, photos were in July. Rehearsals have always been 4-5 nights a week, sometimes on the weekends if you were on Show Group….we would have 8 hour rehearsals, for 1-2 weekends to learn all show choreography…kind of like a mini camp. With all of this being said, auditions were in April, usually the first or second weekend for Prelims and Semis, then the last weekend for Finals. The two weeks in between Semis and Finals were for our individual interviews. 

All that work the tcc had to go through even pre MTT years is a surprise.

Makes me think that K and J take weak girls into training camp NOT "just for drama" but also because they can? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kamal said:

Makes me think that K and J take weak girls into training camp NOT "just for drama" but also because they can? 

I always thought it was a really neat way to both prepare the ladies for the upcoming season by giving them lots of time to become cohesive as a group through practice, but also to ensure they weren't making snap judgments about who would be best suited for the team.  Some incredibly beautiful soloists might not be able to catch on to the nuances of dancing on a team, but that's not the kind of thing you can evaluate easily over a short period, even with references.  A longer training camp could also potentially prepare girls for future auditions, even if they didn't make it the first go-round.  Someone like Erin, who is an amazing DCC, might have struggled a bit had she made it the first season rather than the second.  Training camp the first year gave her the opportunity to prepare herself for the rock star she became the second.  I also always liked it because it seemed like it would give the girls an opportunity to bond and make friends, and having free access to intensive dance instruction through training camp could be such an amazing opportunity.

I feel like distaste for the idea of sacrificial lambs for the sake of TV is incredibly valid, but I honestly don't think there is any need for that, and why I don't think that's something they deliberately do.  There is (or can be edited to be) drama and tension without losing a finite and limited opportunity for the organization to help create potential future rock stars.  I definitely think Kelli likes to take some unconventional chances for TCCs, but that's another point in favor of having a more extended camp rather than short-term auditions.  She seems to have a "mentor-style" personality where she likes to give people a chance.  Chelsea Chaney might be an example of this - even though she was noted as having a "clumsy, clunky" dance style, she had so much power and sparkle that all she really needed to do over time was to concentrate on polishing it.  Karissa and Katherine Dunn are another couple I think of that had such charisma and beauty that they'd have been a catch with refinement in their technique and the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to keep up with the team.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Kamal said:

All that work the tcc had to go through even pre MTT years is a surprise.

Of course they CAN, they're the ones in charge, so they obviously CAN do whatever they want. However, if you think girls like Carla from Season 7 were brought in for any reason other than MTT as a show, you're fooling yourself. Her interview was shown to be bad when she didn't know that Barack Obama was the 2012 Democratic Presidential nominee, and then the whole picture incident (which they had to have known about prior to bringing her into camp, unless Carla's ex had the most impeccable timing of sending those pics into Kelli. She also didn't seem like such a good dancer that she should have taken the spot of any of the 5 vets that were cut at those finals. Colby from Season 10, and the whole "fan vote" experiement is another example.

It was also said somewhere on this forum before that there were never that many girls (typically 45 girls these days) taken into training camp before the show started, so that's obviously a production decision.

17 hours ago, raindancer said:

I always thought it was a really neat way to both prepare the ladies for the upcoming season by giving them lots of time to become cohesive as a group through practice, but also to ensure they weren't making snap judgments about who would be best suited for the team.  Some incredibly beautiful soloists might not be able to catch on to the nuances of dancing on a team, but that's not the kind of thing you can evaluate easily over a short period, even with references.  A longer training camp could also potentially prepare girls for future auditions, even if they didn't make it the first go-round.  Someone like Erin, who is an amazing DCC, might have struggled a bit had she made it the first season rather than the second.  Training camp the first year gave her the opportunity to prepare herself for the rock star she became the second.  I also always liked it because it seemed like it would give the girls an opportunity to bond and make friends, and having free access to intensive dance instruction through training camp could be such an amazing opportunity.

I feel like distaste for the idea of sacrificial lambs for the sake of TV is incredibly valid, but I honestly don't think there is any need for that, and why I don't think that's something they deliberately do.  There is (or can be edited to be) drama and tension without losing a finite and limited opportunity for the organization to help create potential future rock stars.  I definitely think Kelli likes to take some unconventional chances for TCCs, but that's another point in favor of having a more extended camp rather than short-term auditions.  She seems to have a "mentor-style" personality where she likes to give people a chance.  Chelsea Chaney might be an example of this - even though she was noted as having a "clumsy, clunky" dance style, she had so much power and sparkle that all she really needed to do over time was to concentrate on polishing it.  Karissa and Katherine Dunn are another couple I think of that had such charisma and beauty that they'd have been a catch with refinement in their technique and the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to keep up with the team.

We're on the same page here. Longer training camps are beneficial to not only each girl, but also K & J, as they get more of a chance to better assess each girl before the team is finalized.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ShutterbugCAM said:

It was also said somewhere on this forum before that there were never that many girls (typically 45 girls these days) taken into training camp before the show started, so that's obviously a production decision.

I seem to remember that, in the past, management pretty much knew who "made the team" by the time finals were over so would take those 36 girls into camp plus a few extra just in case (maybe 2-4? or something like that) someone didn't work out.  The 45-50 girls in Training Camp only came about with the show.  There's absolutely no reason for that many girls in Training Camp except for drama.  We don't see a lot of vets get cut DURING Training Camp and any who leave (or get cut) during the year usually leave AFTER the season ends so . . . 

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 2
Just now, DCC-UK said:

I see the women are on their way to the calendar shoot. We'll be able to see which ones aren't there and are obviously retiring! 

Plus the ones that were seen at fittings few weeks back 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DCC-UK said:

I see the women are on their way to the calendar shoot. We'll be able to see which ones aren't there and are obviously retiring! 

In the past, retiring vets went on the shoots - is that different this year?  

• Love 1
On 3/26/2022 at 5:39 AM, raindancer said:

The issue I have with training camp being so long is that in order to do it, some people have to move to Dallas and give up jobs (I think most workplaces won’t let you take two months’ leave), only to be possibly cut after such a long time. You’re basically either committing to live in Dallas for the year no matter what or ready to find a new job if you’re cut. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, DocBrown said:

https://instagram.com/stories/_taylorjanej/2803482517148964011?utm_medium=copy_link 

This was on Taylor’s (via Kristin’s I think) IG story… if this is accurate time wise then I guess confirms Gina/Kristin/Madeline aren’t on the calendar shoot and are therefore retiring? 

Ashlee, Caroline, Jalyn, Chandi, Kelsey, Kat are all in the DCC Mexico stories, so I’m assuming they are the senior vets who are returning and possibly potential group leaders? 

Edited by Stee
  • Love 7

I know there has been speculation about this before, but now the girls are on the calendar shoot and those who are retiring have basically been confirmed, I want to put my predictions forward for group leaders 

GLs- Ashlee, Caroline, Jalyn and Kelcey

2GLs- Chandi, Claire, Armani, McKenzie or Marissa 

I don’t think Kat will get a leadership role- I don’t think K&J trust her enough. Claire and Chandi were next to their GLs and opposite their 2GLs in the group triangles so would have got good experience from this season. Armani has been towards the front of formations in half time performances and they seem to trust her to fill in other peoples spots when they were unable to perform at the end of last season. It could go either way for me with Marissa and McKenzie- both good performers and I could seem them in leadership roles more than the other current 2nd years. 

I think they may revert back to one point this season and I hope it is Ashlee

• Love 10

As for those who think that TPTB already have chosen their team by the end of finals.  If so, Brianna, Kelli’s favorite, would be on the team.  Same with VK the first year.  Look at who they cut.  Just because you look great at finals & can do part of a routine after practicing a week doesn’t mean you have the ability & stamina to grasp the routines, memorize them, & do high kicks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, cherryblossom said:

As for those who think that TPTB already have chosen their team by the end of finals.  If so, Brianna, Kelli’s favorite, would be on the team.  Same with VK the first year.  Look at who they cut.  Just because you look great at finals & can do part of a routine after practicing a week doesn’t mean you have the ability & stamina to grasp the routines, memorize them, & do high kicks.

I agree. There are elements to being a DCC that need longer to assess. If you come from a background where high kicks and jump splits are the norm then OK but if you are a great dancer without those assets then you may need to prove yourself during TC. Same goes for field entrance and ability to communicate. Stamina is certainly important, if not to prove you have it then eight weeks of TC will certainly help with it.

• Love 3

I think they probably have a really good idea of who will make the final squad, and they end up with 2-3 surprises.  Be it a Barbie winner for solos who can't pick up the power pom fast enough, or a delightful personality that wins them over in the end that they keep instead of a pretty but boring dancer.

Other than the short interview and whatever gossip they've got from the dance industry, the audition process doesn't give enough personality.  Just a quick glance.  And that's so, so important with the appearances, particularly if they want everyone to have those opportunities.  Other NFL squads (tho not all) have those appearance only gals so I imagine the audition process focuses more on personality vs. the DCC on dance.

Edited by kalibean
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, kalibean said:

I think they probably have a really good idea of who will make the final squad, and they end up with 2-3 surprises.  Be it a Barbie winner for solos who can't pick up the power pom fast enough, or a delightful personality that wins them over in the end that they keep instead of a pretty but boring dancer.

Other than the short interview and whatever gossip they've got from the dance industry, the audition process doesn't give enough personality.  Just a quick glance.  And that's so, so important with the appearances, particularly if they want everyone to have those opportunities.  Other NFL squads (tho not all) have those appearance only gals so I imagine the audition process focuses more on personality vs. the DCC on dance.

Yea I heard about this. I think about 10 or so years ago there was that Sandy something who was the choreographer and director of Falcons on Youtube (and someone on this forum touched on her leaving the falcons and whether she was sacked or not, tho I can't remember what was the reply to that rumor) and the Falcons had a appearance team who werethe ones that appeared in the squad photos, went on calendar shoots etc.

I always wondered if that was the same for the other teams who has one team for performances and one for appearances. Can you imagine working that hard to be on the field and actually not make the squad photos. I understood its because thats not what they wanted/trained for. 

• Love 2

Not sure if this was discussed..I noticed Jalyn wasn't pictured.  I wonder if she got the ok from TPTB to not attend this rehearsal?  I hope that doesn't hurt her at auditions this year.  I know the NFL season is over technically, but I would think that it would still be mandatory to attend all rehearsals regardless.  Additionally,  I noticed that all the retirees are on the bottom row.

image0.jpeg

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, TUOwl84 said:

Not sure if this was discussed..I noticed Jalyn wasn't pictured.  I wonder if she got the ok from TPTB to not attend this rehearsal?  I hope that doesn't hurt her at auditions this year.  I know the NFL season is over technically, but I would think that it would still be mandatory to attend all rehearsals regardless.  Additionally,  I noticed that all the retirees are on the bottom row.

image0.jpeg

It was a technique class and your allowed to miss one 

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, TB12 said:

Sigh I guess I thought Kristin was smarter than this… 

3F2CB9DC-2FC6-4D57-A3CD-F3AEB81F5CB4.jpeg

She should have just focus on the sign language movie that got awarded. 

I hate how this news in everywhere and overshadowing the great movies that should get all the attention. (Sorry this is getting off topic)

• Love 9

I got bored and decided to work out who was roommates for the calendar shoot. Hoping to fill it in as we see more pictures!

Ashlee - Amber L

Caroline - Megan

Jalyn - Jada

Chandi - Ashlinn

Kat - Lea

Kelcey - Tori

Armani - Rebecca

Claire - Christina

Dani - Madeline S

Darian - Kaydianna

Elli - Kelee

Jessica - Jensen

Marissa - Tyra

McKenzie - Kleine

Edited by DCC-UK
Updated info
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 3/29/2022 at 7:53 AM, DCC-UK said:

I got bored and decided to work out who was roommates for the calendar shoot. Hoping to fill it in as we see more pictures!

Ashlee - ?

Caroline - ?

Jalyn - ?

Chandi - Ashlinn

Kat - ?

Kelcey - Tori

Armani - Rebecca

Claire - Christina

Dani - ?

Darian - Kaydianna

Elli - Kelee

Jada - ?

Jessica - Jensen

Marissa - Tyra

McKenzie - ?

Rookies still to place: 

Amber L., Kleine, Lea, Madeline S., Megan

Dani and Madeline S are roomies

E57C0F61-DB84-4C11-A4B4-57DF93278554.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Wow, 28 returning vets. And I like them all! I am really intrigued and excited to see who gets leadership roles and points next year. With so many strong vets, I don't see them going back to one point. And why not share the spotlight? 

Of this whole group, Marissa is the only one I didn't favor in their rookie year, and she grew on me some last year. Maybe it was because she had fewer talking heads her second season, but she appeared less pageant-y and to interact genuinely with her team mates. She is a favorite of TPTB and will keep getting prime formation spots, but I would think/hope they might pick a more mature vet over Marissa next year for GL2. She still seems so, so young. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, M1977G said:

Wow, 28 returning vets. And I like them all! I am really intrigued and excited to see who gets leadership roles and points next year. With so many strong vets, I don't see them going back to one point. And why not share the spotlight? 

Of this whole group, Marissa is the only one I didn't favor in their rookie year, and she grew on me some last year. Maybe it was because she had fewer talking heads her second season, but she appeared less pageant-y and to interact genuinely with her team mates. She is a favorite of TPTB and will keep getting prime formation spots, but I would think/hope they might pick a more mature vet over Marissa next year for GL2. She still seems so, so young. 

I imagine all 4th/5th years will get a leadership role, which leaves 2 2GL spots available. I could see Elli, Darian or McKenzie getting 2GL. In fairness, any of the soon to be 3rd years could be though!

It doesn't happen often but Tori would be a good shout for a 2nd year to jump the usual queue. She seems mature, well-liked, is a comeback girl and it looks like she does quite a lot of appearances. Just throwing it out there!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, M1977G said:

but I would think/hope they might pick a more mature vet over Marissa next year for GL2. She still seems so, so young. 

I agree. She is the youngest of them all. No need to rush to give her any position.

If she doesn't come up with a new dream (like Disney) I think she'll stay for as long as K and J will let her.

For Marissa's interest she shouldn't be given a position if she wishes to have a long tenure. If she get's a leadership position early on and get's more attention, us fans will get too much of her and come to hate her. (I wouldn't want that) 

Look at Maddie. She got on the team at 19 (?) and became leader at her 3rd and point at her 4th and left after her 5th year. I feel like she was forced to leave after having two years as point to make room for the next girls. Unlike others who had a career to focus on, or a family to make, or a lack of energy to continue dance, that led them to retire Maddie had to retire simply because she had achieved it all. Which is glorious in a way but also sad because she seems to not be doing anything cooler right at the moment. (but who am I to judge)

Looking at this years retiring vets everyone seems to obviously fit one of the "retiring because she either has a career to focus on, a family to make, lacks energy to continue" categories except for Gina. I wonder if she was told by K and J to retire, or if she's in the 4th category of retirement reasons of "found a better dance job". (like Tess)

• Love 3
On 3/28/2022 at 7:26 PM, TUOwl84 said:

Kleine looks stunning!

image0.jpeg

She always does. She's IMO one of, if not the very prettiest girl on the team. I think she's underrated by most, but will blossom more and could be a fan favorite the longer she stays on.

• Love 10
On 3/29/2022 at 1:53 AM, DCC-UK said:

Ashlee - ?

Caroline - ?

Jalyn - ?

Chandi - Ashlinn

Kat - ?

Kelcey - Tori

Armani - Rebecca

Claire - Christina

Dani - Madeline S

Darian - Kaydianna

Elli - Kelee

Jada - ?