Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Scientist

• Start Topic

They finally made it to New York. Well, everyone but Astra, Spoons, and Gideon.

Nate and Zari are examining Hoovernator.

Sara gets shot by a pizza stand guy and Ava makes it all about her. She could at least pretend to be concerned that one day Sara's healing power won't work before going on about how hard it is to see her wife get shot.

Hi NotCon, welcome. You're gonna need to pay more attention cause Sara stole those papers with ease.

"Isn't luck just an interpretation of random occurrences?" I love Gideon.

NotCon already built his machine and Sara's ready to use it. I'm sure absolutely nothing will go wrong.

"Did you and Gary hook up? I won't be mad. I will be confused." I love every single Zari.

Spoons geeking out about...Cannonball? was cute. 

I see Gary's back to normal and screwing things up in front of Thomas Edison no less.

Ok, I'm guessing Edison will try to pass off the time machine as his own.

Heh, Astra appeals to the cop's inner famewhore to avoid arrest.

Zari and Nate had their heart to heart right in front of Hoovernator? You're in a mansion guys pick any room.

Yay turning on the time machine erased Ava and Gary! I don't expect it to last so I'll enjoy the break.

NotCon is quite stubborn. Go with Sara and you'll never be bored.

Ok I was wrong about Edison but now he's dead. Is Nate going to be present every time one of these historical figures croaks? 

I wonder how long until robot Edison shows up.

Hee at NotCon and Sara pretending he's holding her hostage. 

Hey it's Hoovernator and Edisonbot! It's nice that the robots are friends.

They did a good job with the running joke about who NotCon looks like. Obviously the answer is Beebo.

Dammit Ava and Gary are back. The break was so nice.

It's sweet that Astra faked the spell to make Spoons feel better.

I shouldn't be amused at Gideon braining that guy with the fake luck rock but I am.

The team is reunited! Yay for Astra's lightning!

And they're...somewhere in the Vancouver countryside.

• Love 8

Edison being an asshole who would stand in the way of other scientists?  Legends did their homework.

Love that the Legends are reunited, and they accepted Gideon right away.

They're definitely gonna reveal that Dr Davies is gay.  His reaction when Sara told him about her wife lets you know that his person is a male.

• Love 4

I gotta say, even though there's still plenty more season to go, this season thus far has been so much better than the last few seasons. I actually would, as of right now, put this season in third place, right behind seasons 3 and 2 respectively. 

Gwyn Davies had a fairly good introduction. I love how different he is from John Constantine. Matt Ryan really made Gwyn his own thing without a lick of Constantine in him. Not even just through physical appearance, but little things like movement and body language in general. I also love that Sara got to integrate him into the team a little bit. When they separate Sara from Ava, it really helps remind me of early seasons Sara, when she got to prove herself to be the Captain for the Waverider. And I don't even hate Ava; she's gotten to be a much better character over the last season or two, BUT her presence changes Sara's role on the show drastically. Here, yes, Sara's motivation was still about Ava, BUT without Ava around, Sara also got to interact with others AND she had to connect with Gwyn in a way I haven't seen her connect with other characters in a long, long time. 

Hopefully, the show has recognized this and that they need a balance with Sara. She can still care about her wife while also connecting with other characters. I really enjoyed Sara apologizing to Gwyn for treating him as an object and not a person. And yeah, Gwyn is totally in love with a man, and I am going to enjoy seeing who they cast for that part. Imagine if it's a character played by a previous Legends actor. 

Astra, Spooner and Gideon are such a fantastic trio. Their scenes this season have been so much fun to watch.

Behrad got some stuff to do! Hooray! Give us more of this guy, Legends. This guy is useful and doesn't just get high all the time. 

So, Nate/Zari will be living in the totem instead of breaking up, it seems. I mean, this means Nick Zano is either leaving the show or Nate/Zari deciding to move to the totem is not going to work out. It's one or the other, clearly, but I could see it being more the former. Give the chance for Zari 2.0 to shine and perhaps Nick Zano is dropping to recurring/guest star status.

So, they're definitely going there with Behrad/Astra, which could be interesting. Again, gives Behrad a little more to do. And...did I detect something between Gideon/Gary? Ok, show, I know you're all about the wacky and zany couples and choices, and I do trust you in that it could be an interesting pairing...but I don't know if I like that idea. Gideon/Gary is just TOO weird, y'know? But they shared a Look and a Line at the end and I immediately had warning bells in my head.

Another very strong episode, truly.

• Love 8

For the first time in a long time, Sara actually got to go on a mission without Ava attached at her hips, and got to interact with other characters! It was so refreshing to see, and it's so nice to actually see a captain who held it together under stress and still managed to complete the mission.

I really liked seeing Sara and Gwyn interact here. Sara missed the induction of the last few characters into the Legends team (Ava got to do that), so it was nice to see Sara bring Gwyn into the team this time. Loved Sara playing up the damsel in distress while being "held hostage" by Gwyn. I wonder if the show's COVID protocol people freaked out when the writers had Gwyn and Sara spit into their hands before shaking them, lol. I hope this is not the last time we see Sara and Gwyn interact (this is a real concern because Sara rarely gets to interact with other non-Ava characters anymore). And wasn't Sara and Constantine's first real interaction on Legends in an asylum too?

Spooner and Astra are great as friends, but I hope we see them interact with other Legends in future. I liked when they had the Legends mix it up (a big reason why I dislike how Sara can only interact meaningfully with Ava).

Is Behrad suddenly an engineer who understands blueprints and can build a time machine because he's taken the place of Zari 1.0, so her skills transferred to him?

Gideon remains the MVP of the season. I kinda wanted to see the Legends' reactions when they first saw her in human form.

• Love 4

Another really strong outing, I am still really enjoying the season, hopefully we can keep this positive streak up even as we leave the 1920's. I was a bit apprehensive about Matt Ryan playing a new character, but this was a really good introduction to Gwyn Davies and Matt did a great job at really making him feel totally different from Constantine. Its really impressive, it didn't just feel like John in a different costume, his accent, his tone of voice, his body language, there wasn't even a sliver of Constantine in him. He seems like he will be fun to have around, and I definitely agree with other that the person he loves that he wants to save is a man, given his reaction when Sara said that she was married to a woman. 

It was so great to see Sara getting to do her own thing without being attached to Ava the entire episode, getting to have her own adventure, getting to interact with a new character and be the one to bring him onboard, reminded me of the good one days when Sara was more able to be in plots with people who weren't her wife. I swear, I really do not hate Ava or Ava/Sara, but I hate that Sara is always attached to her, like Ava is now the only character she is allowed to interact with in any significant way, so I loved getting to see a whole plot with her connecting with someone else. I especially liked when she realized that she was treating Gwyn like an object/mission instead of a person and apologized, and that they were able to work together after that. Sara's real strength has always been her empathy and way with people, its why she's such a great captain, I am really glad to see it here. Those are the things that Ava often struggles with, she is not exactly the most empathetic person. I really want the show to find a way to balance Sara being with her wife while also having relationships with everyone else. Ideally we could dial back on the "co-captains" nonsense too, but that's just a pipedream. 

Astra, Spooner, and Gideon were a lot of fun together, especially Spooner fangirling over the racecar driver they met. As much as I have enjoyed their triple act, I am happy that they have found the rest of the team though, especially now human Gideon. 

Glad that Behrad got more to do this episode, I always like when the show remembers that he is actually a really smart and insightful guy, not just a wacky stoner. I am still definitely getting a vibe between him and Astra, which i could get behind. 

I cant imagine Nate living in the totem being a a great solution to Nate/Zari's relationship problems, I keep hoping that they finally just decide to call it quits, especially now that we know Zari is happy in the totem. Nate has had a really good season so far, but as much as I like both Nate and Zari, they just do not work as a couple. 

"Did you sleep with Gary? I wont be mad, just confused." 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

Matt Ryan finally returns: this time in the form of Dr. Gwyn Davies!  Loved all of the meta references were everyone kept saying he looked "familiar", but compared him to other characters instead like Mick (really, Gary?!), Stein (I can see that), and Ray (worth it just to hear Nate respond with "My Ray?")  To their credit though, Ryan really did play him completely different from Constantine and with his different look (the glasses, beard, etc.), I can actually buy that John wouldn't be who comes to mind.  Looking forward to more of his character and interacting with the rest of the gang.  I already loving the dynamic between him and Sara, because no matter what characters they are playing, apparently Matt Ryan and Caity Lotz just have a natural rapport with one another.

Ha, so now Tom Edison falls at the inadvertent hands of Nate (and Zari.)  I swear, Nate is racking up an impressive bodycount when it comes to the historical figures!  But it looks like he's already replaced by a robot (along with a new Hoover), so this is probably only the beginning.

Hate to say it since I don't dislike her, but it really was refreshing not having Ava attached to Sara's hip for most of this and seeing Sara off on her own or leading the mission by herself.  Kind of missed that, honestly.

So, Nate is now considering going inside the totem to be with Zari?  Unless Nick Zano is leaving as well, I don't see it being a long term thing, so I wonder how all of that will play out.

The Astra/Spooner/Gideon trio continues to be a surprising delight.  Glad they're back with the rest of the gang and everyone has already accepted Human Gideon.

Hey, they're hinting at Behrad/Astra again!  I can dig it!

Looks like the team has made it out of 1925 at least, but they clearly aren't in Tahiti, heh.  I hope they stick around wherever they are for a bit, because I do think the whole "staying in one time period" idea has actually really been good for this season.  It just makes it feel fresher compared to last season, which I didn't dislike, but I did feel like it was stuck in a rut somewhat.  But I feel like this season has been much stronger so far.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Matt Ryan finally returns: this time in the form of Dr. Gwyn Davies!  Loved all of the meta references were everyone kept saying he looked "familiar", but compared him to other characters instead like Mick (really, Gary?!), Stein (I can see that), and Ray (worth it just to hear Nate respond with "My Ray?")  To their credit though, Ryan really did play him completely different from Constantine and with his different look (the glasses, beard, etc.), I can actually buy that John wouldn't be who comes to mind.  Looking forward to more of his character and interacting with the rest of the gang.  I already loving the dynamic between him and Sara, because no matter what characters they are playing, apparently Matt Ryan and Caity Lotz just have a natural rapport with one another.

Matt is clearly having fun with his new character. I did recognize Matt under the makeup and also recognized his voice, but that's as far as it went. Dr. Davies already has me asking, "John who?"  I'll be fascinated to get more into his backstory as the season progresses.

• Love 3

Enjoyable episode, although it has me wondering who replaced Hoover and Edison with bots.  I truly hope that it's not Bishop.

Curious to see where the team ended up and if they are actually back in 2021.  I'm assuming they have landed in some kind of "alternate future" that was twisted by their actions in 1925, like the Biff version of 2015 in Back to the Future Part II.  Then we will have to hear Ava cry again about "small footprints".  They'll have to go back to 1925 presumably.

The team kept calling him "Davies" but I think Davies himself pronounced his name as "Davis".  Is that how this name is supposed to be pronounced in Welsh, or this supposed to be some kind of inside joke I didn't understand?

On 11/10/2021 at 9:00 PM, scarynikki12 said:

I shouldn't be amused at Gideon braining that guy with the fake luck rock but I am.

I kept thinking, "She's lucky she had that rock". 🎶 When you wish upon a rock 🎶 ... (sorry)

I've just realized that Astra is Gideon's fairy godmother because she gave Gideon the "real girl operation".

12 hours ago, blackwing said:

Enjoyable episode, although it has me wondering who replaced Hoover and Edison with bots.  I truly hope that it's not Bishop.

The Legends should at least understand that they now have a clue as to the time period they should be visiting in order to find out who's making these robots. That chip from the Hoover bot that they used to fix the time machine so that it wouldn't blow up? According to Gideon, it's not due to be invented until at least 2225. So they should now realize that they're dealing with early 23rd Century technology, and that's where and when they should go to find out where these bots keep coming from and who keeps making them and sending them to 1925.

12 hours ago, blackwing said:

The team kept calling him "Davies" but I think Davies himself pronounced his name as "Davis".  Is that how this name is supposed to be pronounced in Welsh, or this supposed to be some kind of inside joke I didn't understand?

I believe that is how it's supposed to be pronounced in Welsh.

Edited by legaleagle53

This season has been so much fun!
I strongly disliked Constantine but Matt Ryan as Davies is great.

So who makes the bots? if their parts are from 300 years in the future are we talking about some kind of future Time Police/Legends?
Not than anyone could blame them going after our Legends, I mean they frak up the timeline constantly.

• Love 1

Watched the episode. Fun stuff. The bit with the pizza guy shooting Sara . . . first, was pizza a thing in 1920s New York? Second, I was tickled that the shooter was probably tipped off by a newspaper with the Bullet Blondes on the cover. Headline: "NOT SISTERS." I enjoy seeing little bits like that.

I'm thinking Gwyn's reason for time travel might be sinister . . . too sinister for Sara to promise to help him with. Or maybe it runs counter to the Legends' mission. I'm also thinking he's a distant relation to once and future Doctor Who showrunner Russell T. Davies. Eh, probably not . . . but I think that's where they got the name.

Nate inadvertently killing historical figures should be like the one season of MST3K where Mike accidentally blew up three planets. That should be part of Nate's deal . . . he's a goof, he kills famous people without trying, and he's the designated white guy in case the team goes back to less tolerant times. Also, it's funny how there's an EdisonBot that comes in immediately. "DIRECTIVES: 1. KILL LEGENDS. 2. OCCASIONALLY STEAL OTHER PEOPLE'S IDEAS."

(Just did a search  . . Edison died in 1930. So this wasn't peak Edison. Just someone cranky enough to hate a guy for wanting to travel to the past)

Heh . . . magic rock was Dumbo's magic feather. Does the CW Seed still operate? Maybe there could be a series of shorts with Astra and Spooner getting into weird situations.

On 11/11/2021 at 4:33 AM, Lady Calypso said:

And yeah, Gwyn is totally in love with a man, and I am going to enjoy seeing who they cast for that part. Imagine if it's a character played by a previous Legends actor. 

Paging Nic Bishop! 😃

On 11/12/2021 at 10:35 AM, blackwing said:

Yep. I have a friend who married a Welsh man named Davies and she got sick of correcting people on the pronunciation really quickly. It's driving me crazy that everyone on the show is getting it wrong even though Davies corrected Sarah and must be trying with the others also.