Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E15: Top 20 Live Playoffs

• Start Topic

Is it just me watching? 🤣 

I don't understand why so many of the singers are SO off-key during the lives. Is it the earpieces? 

I have to add that Paris Winninham's voice makes me swoon! He's now performed two of my favorite songs. I could listen to him for days. 

Edited by WhatAmIWatching
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I don't understand why so many of the singers are SO off-key during the lives. Is it the earpieces?

There was definitely some kind of technical issue with the sound.  Along with several of them being off, the back-up singers were louder than the vocalists at times.  I'm sure it sounds different in the audience, but it always seems weird to me when someone is obviously off and then the coaches talk about how incredible the performance was.

Speaking of which, I understand that by the lives there isn't a lot of coaching left to be done, but if every performance is going to get superfluous praise across the board, it really weakens the credibility of the comments.  Not everyone can be "the best ever" for every performance.  Also, note to Ariana:  That's awesome that so many of the performances left you " without words" but it's kind of your job to have words for them so work on being able to articulate your thoughts.  

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but I thought the song choices were pretty bad for most of the contestants.  There was a lot of shouting and "making the song their own" by making it unrecognizable.  It's great that the artists want to be original, but it takes away from the performance when you have to do mental gymnastics to figure out what song it's supposed to be.  Despite the fact that the coaches frequently talk about how important the storytelling aspect of a song is, they seemed to disregard that advice when assigning/ arranging Creep, Say Something and Torn.  Those songs should be moving and broken and quiet, not loud and bombastic.   The harmonies on Creep were well executed, but out of place on a song that should be all about loneliness and isolation.  The female in Girl Named Tom was smiling through the lyrics.

• Love 9

Enjoyed the episode even if I thought at least half of the song selections were either poor or, as mentioned above, played around with too much.  Those who impressed me most were Paris Winningham, Raquel Trinidad, and all of Team Legend (wow).  I like Lana Scott a lot but think she chose a poor song choice.  And ditto that for my early faves, Girl Named Tom. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, leocadia said:

There was definitely some kind of technical issue with the sound.  Along with several of them being off, the back-up singers were louder than the vocalists at times.  I'm sure it sounds different in the audience, but it always seems weird to me when someone is obviously off and then the coaches talk about how incredible the performance was.

Speaking of which, I understand that by the lives there isn't a lot of coaching left to be done, but if every performance is going to get superfluous praise across the board, it really weakens the credibility of the comments.  Not everyone can be "the best ever" for every performance.  Also, note to Ariana:  That's awesome that so many of the performances left you " without words" but it's kind of your job to have words for them so work on being able to articulate your thoughts.  

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but I thought the song choices were pretty bad for most of the contestants.  There was a lot of shouting and "making the song their own" by making it unrecognizable.  It's great that the artists want to be original, but it takes away from the performance when you have to do mental gymnastics to figure out what song it's supposed to be.  Despite the fact that the coaches frequently talk about how important the storytelling aspect of a song is, they seemed to disregard that advice when assigning/ arranging Creep, Say Something and Torn.  Those songs should be moving and broken and quiet, not loud and bombastic.   The harmonies on Creep were well executed, but out of place on a song that should be all about loneliness and isolation.  The female in Girl Named Tom was smiling through the lyrics.

Same page, we're on it!

I noticed last season's lives had the same off key thing, but YES, the backup vocals tonight overpowered some of the leads! Good point, I didn't think that something might get lost in the translation in hearing it from their audience to us hearing it at home

Exactly! When Ariana was throwing out phenomenal, when I was thinking that the singer was way off in some parts. It makes the praise meaningless. The judges can be positive without blowing smoke. (I mean, good for the singers getting up there alone to sing in front of millions, that's major. I'm sure nerves must come into play. I know I couldn't do it)

I was surprised by some of the song choices--so many didn't fit the voices, and it felt like no one had enough rehearsal time or something. For some of them, it was almost a letdown from their earlier performances, that's why I was curious if the earpieces in both ears made it harder for them somehow.

I also agree that the unique arrangements took away from the songs instead of adding flair to them. They are covers, and we should be able to recognize them so we can focus on their voices.

I just love Paris. He makes it all seem so effortless, like a great singer should, so one can get lost in the lyrics and melody. His voice is like silk over gravel. I did enjoy Raquel, too. She had a little pitch trouble and her breaths were so distracting, but I love her tone and rasp. Team Legend is so so good. There were a couple others that really made me lean in and enjoy, but I don't know all of their names, lol.

• Love 2

I watched a little of the auditions, but mostly this was my first night all the way through. I thought I would try to watch this season to see how Ariana does as a coach. The Lives are really the only part of the show where I can enjoy the contestants.

Overall, this looks like it's going to end up being another Kelly v. Blake season to me. Gymani, Hailey Mia, and Wendy Moten were the ones I enjoyed the most. Paris was good (and dressed like Chris Stapleton?), too, and Peedy, while I didn’t like it personally, I could definitely see him winning with the way these shows go. Hopefully not though.

When Gymani started, I immediately expected to hate it because Christina is in my top 3-5 favorite artists and I love Christina’s vocals in particular on “Say Something.” And it was sort of a mess in the first half, but when she reached the peak of the song, she pulled it off while avoiding being a copycat version. She reminded me of Fantasia Barrino during that one line where she took it over the top with an adlib (“anywhere I would’ve followed you”), but I was impressed with how she ended the song without because I expected too many runs. Sort of the same thing with Wendy Moten; I didn’t expect much because of the song choice. But I was impressed that she mostly performed it straight without overdosing the runs. I think what I liked most about her was her manner while singing, she seemed very down-to-earth and unadorned. Hailey Mia definitely isn’t a threat for the crown, but I really enjoyed her performance; sounded like she probably performed the best she could ever be expected to.

I wasn’t too crazy about anyone else. I guess I do have a soft spot for David Vogel and Libianca was interesting if nothing else.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2

I was extremely frustrated with both Raquel and Hailey in their complete lack of enunciation. Both of them sounded like they might as well have been Charlie Brown’s teacher. Nice voices, but damn. When even *I* complain about not understanding lyrics, it’s pretty bad. I mean, I was 30 before I actually paid attention to the lyrics of “Lola” closely enough to realize what the song was about. 

Sometimes it’s okay to change up a song, but last night’s rendition of “Say Something” only reminded me of the first time I ever heard it: on The Voice, sung absolutely beautifully by Christina Aguilera and A Great Big World. 

Just once, I would like to see someone do the brave thing and tackle Dolly Parton’s *original* version of “I Will Always Love You.” I’m so tired of getting blasted out by that song. 

• Love 5

I was underwhelmed by most of the performances.  I think one reason is that the judges during the auditions and various rounds emphasize the "big moments" and runs so that it seems like that is all we get.  I am so over runs and the blasting of the big moments to the point that a lot of the singers really sound the same or similar.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Just once, I would like to see someone do the brave thing and tackle Dolly Parton’s *original* version of “I Will Always Love You.” I’m so tired of getting blasted out by that song. 

This ☝      
Singing the original (DP) is actually harder. More textured and nuanced. With all due respect to Whitney’s considerable talent, her version was the one that made me cringe while my ears bled. However, it made Dolly a lot of $$$$ so there’s that.

I’m sticking with Girl Named Tom for now but I hate “Creep” & generally leave the room when I hear it coming. Their harmonies were amazing though.

Hailey Rae, I couldn’t understand a word of your song. Enunciate.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I was extremely frustrated with both Raquel and Hailey in their complete lack of enunciation. Both of them sounded like they might as well have been Charlie Brown’s teacher. Nice voices, but damn. When even *I* complain about not understanding lyrics, it’s pretty bad. I mean, I was 30 before I actually paid attention to the lyrics of “Lola” closely enough to realize what the song was about. 

Sometimes it’s okay to change up a song, but last night’s rendition of “Say Something” only reminded me of the first time I ever heard it: on The Voice, sung absolutely beautifully by Christina Aguilera and A Great Big World. 

9 hours ago, limecoke said:

This ☝      
Singing the original (DP) is actually harder. More textured and nuanced. With all due respect to Whitney’s considerable talent, her version was the one that made me cringe while my ears bled. However, it made Dolly a lot of $$$$ so there’s that.

I’m sticking with Girl Named Tom for now but I hate “Creep” & generally leave the room when I hear it coming. Their harmonies were amazing though.

Hailey Rae, I couldn’t understand a word of your song. Enunciate.

Whitney Houston had a voice only supernatural beings possess but I hate, hate, hate her version of "I Will Always Love You."  The song is about wistful sadness.  You do not SCREAM your wistful sadness.  You can scream your anger, pain, exuberance, joy or triumph but you DON'T scream your wistful sadness.  Now, of course, on every competition show ever, people feel like the only way to express emotion is to scream out the song.  I blame Whitney.

I actually really like "Creep" but I don't like it when the singers try to make it "pretty."  It should be raw and broken, (and sung by a single person) not sung with beautiful harmonies.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Whitney Houston had a voice only supernatural beings possess but I hate, hate, hate her version of "I Will Always Love You."  The song is about wistful sadness.  You do not SCREAM your wistful sadness.  You can scream your anger, pain, exuberance, joy or triumph but you DON'T scream your wistful sadness.  Now, of course, on every competition show ever, people feel like the only way to express emotion is to scream out the song.  I blame Whitney.

I actually really like "Creep" but I don't like it when the singers try to make it "pretty."  It should be raw and broken, (and sung by a single person) not sung with beautiful harmonies.

I agree with both of your points and will add to it people who treat Hallelujah like a gospel song.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

That is why Lukas Rossi version is my favourite. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, xfuse said:

That is why Lukas Rossi version is my favourite. 

I’m a Marty Casey girl myself! 🙂

6 hours ago, Sile said:

I agree with both of your points and will add to it people who treat Hallelujah like a gospel song.

Oh, yeah. I don’t understand the impulse to over-produce songs like this, other than to disguise the singer’s inability to let the song carry itself. I don’t necessarily hate Whitney’s version but I do hate when literally every singer who does that song does Whitney’s version using the “loud is the new good” singing style. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Sile said:

5 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I’m a Marty Casey girl myself! 🙂

Oh, yeah. I don’t understand the impulse to over-produce songs like this, other than to disguise the singer’s inability to let the song carry itself. I don’t necessarily hate Whitney’s version but I do hate when literally every singer who does that song does Whitney’s version using the “loud is the new good” singing style. 

LOVE your "loud is the new good" description.  Perfect. 

Yes, very few people can actually sing Hallelujah with any feeling or connection to the song.   I really think it's a case of people don't pay attention to what they're singing.  They learn the words but don't actually listen to them - leading to people singing songs wildly unsuited to them.  One of the most egregious examples was Kelly letting those two sweet LITTLE girls sing "Chandelier" a few seasons back.  I know the guy who won for Adam several seasons back (I'm much too uninterested in him to actually remember his name) basically won by using that song, but is that really the right tone for someone who wants to be a Christian singer?  

Edited by DaphneCat
Spelling
  • Love 3

I tuned in last night on HULU because it's the lives and I wanted to see the teams. I wasn't impressed with anyone except for the guy on Blakes team that sang "I wish it would rain" Maybe because I like the song but it seems like everyone else just wants to scream. I got a kick out of the young Elvis look a like, I wish he would've sang a more current song because even though I liked his song I don't think young kids would and if he wants to be a pop star he needs to sing more current. It made me giggle when after he sang all Blake could do was laugh. I remember a few years back there was a young kid that sang retro songs but he changed them a little and made them more his style which I normally don't like but I thought he was really good and if I remember correctly he got close to making it to the top 4.

I also wish they would eliminate 1 at a time, which would make it a longer season so maybe 1 Voice seasons a year instead of 2?

• Love 5