Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Part I

• Start Topic

So glad The Sinner is back.

I didn't finish Season 3, so I'm assuming the girlfriend is a leftover from there. I'm hoping that the story she read on the ferry isn't a sign of things to come, but it does appear to a mythos heavy episode.

Big Pullman fan an liking it so far.

• Love 4

She was in Season 3 from the beginning.  

This show is so frustrating . It always starts so good but it usually fizzles in the end.  

I did not need to see the kinky sex scene explicitly.  This is not really the point of the show.  

Bill Pullman is looking good, though.

I really liked the atmosphere of the show of the seaside fishing town.  

That vacation house is amazing.  It's probably a lot of money so I like that it's just conveniently open for them. 

• Love 8

A promising start to the season - this show always starts off strong with a puzzling mystery, hopefully it doesn’t fizzle like it did last season.

I’m not sure what to think about Percy’s disappearance and if she’s alive or dead, I think she’s probably alive somewhere but I’m looking forward to seeing more layers of the mystery peeled back.

The intrigue really ramped up in the last few minutes - with the video showing Percy falling to the ground when the figure appeared, and then that was the grandma at the end wasn’t it that Ambrose saw near the water doing what looked like some sort of religious ritual? Very strange, I think the whole family probably knows more than they are letting on, and it seems like Percy may be involved in some kind of cult, and the other family members may know as well.

I’m not sure what role the Lam family will play in the show.

The scenery is really good, loved the feel of the island town.

I’m looking forward to seeing where this season goes, I hope it lives up to its potential.

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, DiabLOL said:

Where is this taking place? Maybe it said early on and I missed it. I think the previous season was in upstate ny?

It takes place in Northern Maine. So it was probably filmed in Canada. 😄 Whenever a show is set in Maine, they use Nova Scotia as the stand-in. It looked like Lunenburg and Chester to me, on the South Shore of Nova Scotia, same filming location as the series “Haven” which was also set in Maine. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Rickster said:

“Northern Maine” always means to me somewhere inland up near the Quebec border, like Presque Isle or Caribou. This takes place somewhere on the coast.

The writeup says Hanover Island in northern Maine. I also found this, so it is filmed in Nova Scotia as suspected:

The primary filming location of 'The Sinner' season 4 is Lunenburg County, located in the South Shore region of Nova Scotia. The cast and crew filmed some sequences in Lunenburg, a port town in the county. Scenes were shot at Bluenose Drive and in parts of the Downtown Core of Lunenburg. The town's core is a National Historic Site of Canada.

Edited by ferjy
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ferjy said:

The writeup says Hanover Island in northern Maine. I also found this, so it is filmed in Nova Scotia as suspected:

The primary filming location of 'The Sinner' season 4 is Lunenburg County, located in the South Shore region of Nova Scotia. The cast and crew filmed some sequences in Lunenburg, a port town in the county. Scenes were shot at Bluenose Drive and in parts of the Downtown Core of Lunenburg. The town's core is a National Historic Site of Canada.

Whoever wrote the writeup doesn’t understand geography.

Interestingly, the restaurant used in a couple of scenes looks very similar in interior and external setting to one I went to in Digby, Nova Scotia years ago. I’ve coincidentally also been to a few of the suburban NY locations used in prior seasons.

I agree the season has gotten off to the usual good start. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn’t go downhill like the last one. I do wish they would dial down the tortured soul aspect of Ambrose a few notches.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Rickster said:

I agree the season has gotten off to the usual good start. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn’t go downhill like the last one. I do wish they would dial down the tortured soul aspect of Ambrose a few notches.

I keep thinking how Ambrose seems to think he’s in a different show from everyone around him. The constant over the top eye action. Is he hearing voices? Is he disassociating? Is he possessed? I’m finding it distractingly bizarre. I like Bill Pullman just fine, usually. 
Definitely hanging in though, I want to see where this goes and what actually happened to Percy but I’m fully ready to be disappointed like I have been the last three times.

• Love 10

I’m probably more forgiving than most but I’ve liked every season of the Sinner so far and this one looks to be no different. Bill Pullman is divine. Full stop.  His discomfort with himself is palpable and I feel like helping him out at times with his words and social cues but knowing what happened to him in the past I see the demons that he can never get away from, including his need for punishment. 

The atmosphere is very evocative and foreboding and you can just feel the charge in that community that things are going to implode. I was sufficiently freaked out by the vocalization by the water too. Wadda wadda wadda wha? Very unsettling. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 10/13/2021 at 10:25 PM, Xeliou66 said:

...with the video showing Percy falling to the ground when the figure appeared, and then that was the grandma at the end wasn’t it that Ambrose saw near the water doing what looked like some sort of religious ritual? 

Seemed a bit pagan "witchy" to me. 

• Love 6

I enjoyed the premiere. Hated the back half of the third season a lot, but reviews are saying this season has more procedural elements, like an actual mystery rather than some sort of philosophical proposition, so that feels promising.

• Love 7

I’m happy the show is back and think it’s a great beginning. I’m also glad the police chief is seeking Ambrose’s help rather the usual trope of everyone hating the outsider. I know this show tends to fizzle out by the end but I adore Bill Pullman and watching him act.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 5

I like the show and I really like Bill Pullman, BUT, his walking around looking so sad and morose needs to stop!  He is so unhappy.  They never write in a scene where he can smile or feel good about anything.  It depresses me.

I think they should just make him a retired detective who's always getting in somebody's business and eventually solving the crime.  Just make the guy "normal" for crying out loud!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Seemed a bit pagan "witchy" to me. 

Agreed. So victim is involved with that somehow, AND the family clearly has some illegal aspect to their business as well just from the vibe they put out

On 10/14/2021 at 12:01 AM, WaltersHair said:

So glad The Sinner is back.

I didn't finish Season 3, so I'm assuming the girlfriend is a leftover from there

Same. I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 but 3 totally lost me halfway through. I hope this is a good season. 

Fun to see it was filmed in my general part of the world. I'm keeping my eye out for accidental Canadianisms. 

On 10/15/2021 at 4:35 AM, DiabLOL said:

Is he disassociating? Is he possessed? I’m finding it distractingly bizarre. I like Bill Pullman just fine, usually. 

Same. At one point, his girlfriend says, "You're looking so healthy and alive!" (or words to that effect,) and I thought, Really? To me he looks like a twitchy, antsy mess. How are people trusting him? 

I also thought the grandmother was one of the witchy bathers. I'm really liking the actress in this role, so I hope she doesn't turn out to be a total fruit loop. I'm also really liking the actress who plays Percy, so ditto. 

But this is The Sinner. Fruit loops and general weirdos will probably abound, when they're not out fishing for lobster. 

Edited by Melina22
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5