Type keyword(s) to search

My Life Is Murder - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1407436492_MyLifeisMurder_Keyart.thumb.jpg.bada0c493721e4619ff46ade7ffbf48a.jpg

Anyone here watches this "feel good" crime mystery series with Lucy Lawless?
It is a charming little show,  it doesn't reinvent the genre, but it is very pleasant and offers nice scenery and a different location than the usual crime shows who dominate our TV sets (1st season was shoot in Australia, 2nd in New Zealand - due to Covid I guess).
Mysteries also getting improved after a few episodes.
And Lucy is great, she is the whole show actually.
Oh, and in 2nd season there will be a reunion with "Gabrielle"!

• Like 1
  • Love 5

We watched the first season on DVD I borrowed from my library and really enjoyed it. A big plus is the cat for us cat lovers! lol! It really is a cute show.... nothing fancy or over dark, just entertaining. I also thought as it went on it got better. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

We watched the first season on DVD I borrowed from my library and really enjoyed it. A big plus is the cat for us cat lovers! lol! It really is a cute show.... nothing fancy or over dark, just entertaining. I also thought as it went on it got better. 

Mild spoiler, there is also a cat in season 2, although not the same, since the show has moved to NZ.
Lucy Lawless wanted to use her own cat but at the end they brought another feline actor for the role.

Edited by Zaffy
13 hours ago, Zaffy said:

Mild spoiler, there is also a cat in season 2, although not the same, since the show has moved to NZ.
Lucy Lawless wanted to use her own cat but at the end they brought another feline actor for the role.

My husband was not happy to hear that! 

On 10/11/2021 at 2:27 PM, geekgirl921 said:

I really like the show. It's fun and entertaining. My only problem with it is the fact that the character is named Alexa! My Alexa gets very confused.

The other problem is she’s the only person on TV using the same phone ringtone as me. Gives me a start several times each episode. 

i’ve seen a few first season episodes via downloads from my public library. A bit disappointed I can’t see the NZ ones yet.

• Love 3

Didn't realize that there is a separate thread for this show. I really enjoy it - although I found that they improved as time went on. I really like the Madison and Alexa mentorship - which keeps growing. I also like that it is not gory or very heavy. I watch enough of those kinds of mysteries. 

• Love 5

Just watched the latest episode, another good one, the show keeps improving and I liked they gave us backstory on Madison.

I just need a crossover with "Only Murders in the Building".  I have this feeling Alexa would fit in perfectly.

• Love 1

Spoiler Free season finale episode.

So the 2nd season is over with a reunion of Lucy and Renee.
It was a  nice episode, although I was a bit distracted on how old Renee was looking, she is 3-4 years younger than Lucy but she was looking much older. It was interesting to see Alexa's reaction the moment Renee's character first appeared. Probably a little "meta" thing for the Xena and Gabrielle fans. Lucy is such a good actress.
Overall I think the 2nd season was better than the good 1st season.
I like how they building Alexa and Madison friendship and how Alexa is gradually caring more for the latter.
I hope it gets renewed for another season, I am curious about how her husband died, wonder if they will let us know in any possible future episode.

• Love 3

Yes, it was a bit distracting - and made me wonder if perhaps Lucy has had some work done and Renee hasn't (but maybe it's just genes/lifestyle.)  But it was interesting seeing her and the actor who played Iolaus, and Renees' son too.  That said I only watched this show for the meta reunion, and I can't say I was impressed overall or would ever watch another episode. 

Edited by Glade
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Zaffy said:

I hope it gets renewed for another season, I am curious about how her husband died, wonder if they will let us know in any possible future episode.

I hope it gets renewed for another season, too. Also, I thought in Season 1 in one of the early episodes that Alexa said her husband (who was a police office while she was, too) was killed in the line of duty. 

• Love 1

Any longtime Lucy Lawless fans here remember an interview with Lucy at her house. I think the house they used for the home of Renee's character was Lucy's. I recognize the outside brick and the leather chairs.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Glade said:

Yes, it was a bit distracting - and made me wonder if perhaps Lucy has had some work done and Renee hasn't (but maybe it's just genes/lifestyle.)  But it was interesting seeing her and the actor who played Iolaus, and Renees' son too.  That said I only watched this show for the meta reunion, and I can't say I was impressed overall or would ever watch another episode. 

Iolaus!! wow I didn' t recognize him!

• Love 1

I really like the evolving relationship between Alexa and Madison. 

Horrible to say but Renee looked very different from her time as Gabrielle - - the red hair really threw me and she definitely looked older than Lucy. 

• Love 1
On 10/17/2021 at 8:05 AM, BlackberryJam said:

This show makes me want to visit NZ. It's gorgeous.

NZ seems like a nice place, but too cool for me. I'm sure many people would love the constant Spring weather, but I want my high temps in summer to exceed the 60s. 

On 10/25/2021 at 5:11 PM, rcc said:

I noticed how much older Renee looked too. Lucy looks younger than 53, more like 43. Sorry to see this season end. Now on to season 3 next year. (I hope).

We just finished watching the season and I, not being a Xena watcher, thought Renee had to be older. Lucy looks great. If she has had work, its damn good work. Or maybe it is genes. 

I enjoyed this season more than last. I feel like the show has settled into its groove. I liked the development between her and Madison. 

52 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

We just finished watching the season and I, not being a Xena watcher, thought Renee had to be older. Lucy looks great. If she has had work, its damn good work. Or maybe it is genes. 

I enjoyed this season more than last. I feel like the show has settled into its groove. I liked the development between her and Madison. 

With Lucy it is genes and she eats healthy. 

• Love 1

I have Acorn again, thanks to the 99c deal on prime, and this last episode popped up. I'm one of those goobs who sometimes posts pictures of my food. I haven't watched the rest of the episode yet, but I might watch both seasons again. I need something light. It seems like almost everything in my lists, is heavy.

Lucy recently gave an interview promoting the new season. She said Alexa might be her last acting role for a few more years. I hope not. She is producing a documentary right now.

• Love 2
On 9/26/2022 at 3:26 PM, Zaffy said:

Does anyone knows why Madison is away?

I read that she had COVID and was temporarily replaced by the new assistant.  According to trailers I've seen, Madison will be back.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Just watched season 3 episode 1. Is neon really big in NZ lately? So many neon blouses and jackets! I felt like I was back in 1989 (in a good way).

I noticed that too. Everything was so brightly colored. I enjoyed it, especially in contrast to shows like Shetland, which I love, but feels so...gray and white and navy and black.

• Like 2

Episodes 3 and 4 are up on Acorn now. Yay!  I read that the actress who plays Madison couldn’t get back to New Zealand due to COVID lockdown, which accounts for Madison being away for the first few episodes. Still a delightful show and I’m really glad it’s back. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Seelouis said:

Episodes 3 and 4 are up on Acorn now. Yay!  I read that the actress who plays Madison couldn’t get back to New Zealand due to COVID lockdown, which accounts for Madison being away for the first few episodes. Still a delightful show and I’m really glad it’s back. 

I read that as well. Apparently the actress who plays Madison then got Covid so the New Zealand-based actress who plays Beth was called upon for additional work. I liked the scenes with the 3 of them. I wonder if Beth will be around in any future episodes. 

I also read that the use of very vibrant colors (clothing, props, etc...) was a deliberate choice designed to emphasize a light-hearted approach to the mysteries. Now I notice all of the eye-popping colors in each scene! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Saw the first two episodes. I like the new Alexa partner but not to replace Madison. Lucy has chemistry with everybody. Always has, always will.

Edited by rcc
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/18/2022 at 10:07 AM, rcc said:

Saw the first two episodes. I like the new Alexa partner but not to replace Madison. Lucy has chemistry with everybody. Always has, always will.

That's funny you should mention this, rcc, because I really dislike the new assistant.  Her character is supposed to be in the Navy - between assignments?  How is someone "between assignments"?  It just seems unnecessary to have a second assistant, now that Madison is back, although I believe I read they had planned to have both even before COVID caused them to use both.  Madison is already the computer nerd, spirited assistant.  Maybe if the new assistant behave more like someone in the military and less similar to Madison, I'd see the new to have two aides.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, buckboard said:

That's funny you should mention this, rcc, because I really dislike the new assistant.  Her character is supposed to be in the Navy - between assignments?  How is someone "between assignments"?  It just seems unnecessary to have a second assistant, now that Madison is back, although I believe I read they had planned to have both even before COVID caused them to use both.  Madison is already the computer nerd, spirited assistant.  Maybe if the new assistant behave more like someone in the military and less similar to Madison, I'd see the new to have two aides.

Saw the third episode. Still like her. She is feisty. 

To the Lucy fans here - In the latest Acorn episode I think the gardens and bees were her property in Auckland. She has spoken about her bees and honey making in interviews.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1