Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Nothing But Money Shots

CountryGirl
  • Start Topic

With the release of the first show trailer, the contestants air their grievances over what was caught on tape; Wayne has a run-in with someone from his past who wants to use him to gain access to the show; Nick is distracted by his visiting daughter.

Original air date: October 11, 2021

I actually think it upticked in viewers this week in the ratings.  So possibly a good sign!

This show is still very fun with the sly zingers often bringing the funnies.  This was a plot light but character heavy episode.  A series of character duets, really.

Julia & Raven: I really liked these scenes and this is a relationship evolution that feels earned.

Mike & Paula: I can't help myself, I really like Mike.  And Paula worked a lot for me this episode.  Their story of the murder hornets was great.  Was surprised they went there so early with them sleeping together, but their potential conflict dynamic is straight out of a romance novel and promises good drama.

Wayne & Monica: I adored seeing the backstory of Wayne!  His commentary on his toxic ex's dancing was scathing and I loved it.  But it also served to let us know that Monica and Wayne are closer friends that we were aware.

Nick and his daughter Henri:  Nice dynamic here as well.  She came off as smart without feeling precocious.  I loved her calling him out on bad talking her mom.  Also his frankness about needing her to like him better was on point for this character.  I would lowkey love it if Kerry Washington cameo'd as his ex.  LOL.

Simon and Justin: This is the stealth romance I did not know I needed or wanted.  But I do.  I want it.  I need it.

Gabby and Reggie: Surprisingly this is the one that held the least interest for me.  It was still charming but they are so one step forward two steps back.  It feels .... superficial in places or at the least a very Television romance.  I really like the both of them together so I hope the show starts to do some definitive work on this one.

And finally -- my favorite Corps de Ballet crew got some face time and a few lines and they looked superbly fierce!  I hope we continue to get little dancy-fierce snippets with them. 

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 10

I’m really enjoying this show. Not sure how the storyline can sustain itself beyond 1 season, but I do hope Fox allows this season to run its course despite what the ratings are. 

Love Paula and Mike together. I haven’t a clue what her secret is unless I missed the hints. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 1

Love Paula and Mike together. I haven’t a clue what her secret is unless I missed the hints.

She was the car manufacturing executive who laid off a swath of autoworkers including Mike and his friends. She realized this when she was going through his wallet (probably saw his union card). Nick knew the secret in the first show and this is why both got cast despite not being the best dancers. Mike is depressed about losing his job which caused him to lose his wife. Nick wants to film all the drama!

Did we see hints that the "Swan Lake" they will perform will not be the traditional one? We saw the other dancers with Simon and Justin putting a modern riff on the ballet moves while Wayne and Monica talked about breaking up with ballet.

• Love 1

I like how this show zigs when you think it will zag, and it is making me become invested in characters I didn’t care about at all in the pilot.  I think the only one-note character left is Britney, and now I find myself wanting her backstory, too.  Though I still love her “I was bullied by my whole dance class as a group.  I mean after I bullied each of them individually, who knew they would join together?”

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I love this show and hope it at least can last for the whole season! For me, it fills the void left by Ted Lasso finishing its second season. Okay, it won't get any Emmy nominations or anything, but I'm liking what Scott Foley is bringing to the role. And I'm invested in the character arcs. 

• Love 5

How come that Mike kept his employee ID from the factory long after he was terminated? It is the one thing that terminated employees must surrender before they leave the premise for the last time.

I maybe in the minority, but I do not really like Justin mashing up ballet with b-boying.

Edited by TV Anonymous
  • Love 1

I am still really enjoying the show. Its really fun, especially as I am finding myself more and more invested in the characters. Even Nick got some nice moments with his daughter and Monica was further humanized with her heartbreak over possibly not being able to dance and through her friendship with Wayne. My favorite scenes were with Raven and Julia though, I hope her useless husband loses his shit when he finds out that his wife is pals with his favorite cam girl. 

Mike and Paula are really cute, so its going to really suck when he finds out the truth. 

• Love 4

I loved Nick's interactions with Henri, who is cute and smart, and not annoyingly precocious like so many other child/teen characters. I hope we see more of her.

Julia teaching Raven how to fouette was a nice moment. 

I liked seeing more about the friendship between Wayne and Monica. 

Mike's "morning after" dance of bliss after leaving Paula's place, set to one of my very favorite tunes, The Cure's "Just Like Heaven" was perfection and the feeling it gave me was what the show gives me as a whole. 

I really do like the show and hope it at least gets a full season. 

• Love 3