Type keyword(s) to search

The Problem With Jon Stewart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The-Problem-with-Jon-Stewart.jpg

The Problem with Jon Stewart is a current affairs talk show hosted by Jon Stewart for Apple TV+ which will premiere on September 30, with new episodes airing every other week. Each episode will be a 60 minute deep dive focusing on a single issue. Jon Stewart promises to throw in a few jokes along the way. Jon Stewart will discuss these issues with people who impact and are impacted by the problem. 

TPWJS_101_0590F.jpg?w=1000

Jon Stewart wants to shine a spotlight on the problems and regulations in the Governmental system that prevent their employees from actually preforming the tasks they were created to accomplish. Awareness of the problems might in some way lead to an solution. Each episode will have a more in depth companion podcasts available the same day after each episode airs, surprisingly the podcasts will be weekly, featuring the staff members from the show, will bring us interviews with activists in these areas, plenty of facts on the issue, and some humor.

S01.E01 is a episode about Veterans and contains a interview with U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs Denis McDonough. Millions of veterans are being denied health care despite the devastating effects they’re facing from toxic exposure to burn pits. 

Another episode is about the Economy and contains a interview with U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Janet Yellen.

Another episode is about essential services workers and how they don't have access to essential services that might help them cope with the stressfulness of their jobs.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 2

The premiere was really good. One of the biggest scams this country has running is its supposed love and care for its veterans. Veterans are denied healthcare by design and not just for exposure to carcinogens. We can spend trillions yearly on "defense" but not invest in taking care of the people who went into service "defending" our country. Indeed, "thank you for your service" means literally nothing.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5

If you care about your troops so much, why don't you just give them free health care for life? At least if they've been in a war. No more of this stupid need to establish causality. Problem solved.

Is that really too much to ask?

• Love 5

I've been hesitant to check this out after Jon's whackadoodle, conspiracy driven meltdown when he appeared on Stephen Colbert's show after they returned to the studio.

I've loved Jon FOREVER. So can someone tell me the Jon on this show is more like the Jon I know and love?

• Love 1

He is like the Jon that advocated for the First Responders. The show was only a little bit funny and sort of boring, maybe because the writers are not comedians and the subject matter doesn't really lend itself well to comedy.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

He is like the Jon that advocated for the First Responders. The show was only a little bit funny and sort of boring, maybe because the writers are not comedians and the subject matter doesn't really lend itself well to comedy.

I read a review the other day and the reviewer had gotten the first two episodes; he said:

The second episode is more caustically funny but also more scattershot. The topic is “freedom,” which means a tirade, à la vintage “Daily Show,” on anti-vaccinators who are prolonging the pandemic in the name of liberty, followed by a lengthy panel on the rise of authoritarianism in the United States and abroad. It’s more wide net than deep dive.

(Review: How Do You Solve ‘The Problem With Jon Stewart’?, by James Poniewozik in the NY Times, Sept. 30; I'd link it but I'm reading it through my library's ProQuest access and it doesn't give the url.)

I'm willing to give it a few episodes, at least; or until I decide if I'm renewing my AppleTV+ in December (still on the free trial that came with my phone last year and I haven't watched much). May as well check out the podcast, too. One of my weekly podcasts just ended so...

• Love 1
On 10/4/2021 at 6:57 PM, ams1001 said:

I read a review the other day and the reviewer had gotten the first two episodes; he said:

(Review: How Do You Solve ‘The Problem With Jon Stewart’?, by James Poniewozik in the NY Times, Sept. 30; I'd link it but I'm reading it through my library's ProQuest access and it doesn't give the url.)

I'm willing to give it a few episodes, at least; or until I decide if I'm renewing my AppleTV+ in December (still on the free trial that came with my phone last year and I haven't watched much). May as well check out the podcast, too. One of my weekly podcasts just ended so...

I'm on a free trial, too, with my ipad, and haven't watched much either. 

• Love 1

Second episode was way better than the first, or at least more balanced in tone between informative and entertaining. More the Jon Stewart that people knew and loved.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I've been a fan of Jon Stewart and his work for ages.  And the issues he's tackling are important and his guests are giving me good insights.  But somehow it sort of feels like homework.  Maybe it's the odd mix of humor/live audience/very serious stuff.  I hope he finds his footing but for me, it's not there yet.

The Problem With Jon Stewart S01.E05: Stock Market

The rise of e-brokers was meant to democratize the stock market—yet inequality in the market has actually worsened. How can it be fixed?

Premiere Date: March 3, 2022

Very excited for this one. He worked with the folks at Wall Street Bets so he will have a great perspective on what happened with the Game Stop trading. He's also doing a Q&A with them on Monday.

• Love 1

The Problem With Jon Stewart        S01.E06: Climate Change

We’re being told the planet is headed towards catastrophe if we don’t fix climate change. What will it take for everyone to change their behavior? 

Premiere Date: March 10, 2022

• Love 1

The Problem With Jon Stewart         S01.E07: Media 

Cable news positions itself as a safeguard of freedom and democracy - but is that undermined by rating-driven plays to keep people watching?

Premiere Date: March 17, 2022

On 10/3/2021 at 2:12 AM, bilgistic said:

The premiere was really good. One of the biggest scams this country has running is its supposed love and care for its veterans. Veterans are denied healthcare by design and not just for exposure to carcinogens. We can spend trillions yearly on "defense" but not invest in taking care of the people who went into service "defending" our country. Indeed, "thank you for your service" means literally nothing.

My dad is a veteran and all of his healthcare is covered by the VA, even down to his eyeglasses. And when it's not at the VA facility, they pay for it. My dad have to have a brain tumor removed and rehab.

Edited by Atlanta

My dad is a Vietnam veteran. He's dealt with the V.A. in NC to get middling health care his whole life, basically, since he enlisted at 17, and is a type-1 diabetic (insulin dependent). He does get his supplies and meds free, which is fantastic, because it would've broken him otherwise. He was a machinist for 30+ years.

Linked below is a recent article about how the armed forces discharge traumatized service members with "personality disorders" and "other than honorable discharge" so that they can be denied health care and benefits. This has long been a problem and veterans are fighting back.

N.J. veterans want better mental health services for ‘other-than-honorable’ discharges

The Problem With Jon Stewart     S01.E08: Racism 

No matter how sincerely some white people want to educate themselves and take action against racism, white comfort seems to block progress.

Premiere Date: March 24, 2022

The Problem With Jon Stewart Reportedly Struggling With Ratings

Jon Stewart's Apple TV+ talk show The Problem with Jon Stewart has a multi-year deal with Apple.

When the show premiered, it was the number 1 unscripted program on Apple TV+ with 180,000 homes tuning in, by its fifth episode it had dropped by 78% to only 40,000.  Stewart's series is now the 8th most in-demand talk show in the country.

(There is nothing wrong with the show, the problem is that nobody knows when it is on. Season 1 was only 4 episodes and the every other week schedule makes it hard for people to remember to watch, since streaming services are not like a DVR where they your remind you when a new episode drops. The incredibly short season and huge time between episodes 4 and 5 caused people to think something bad happen to the show and maybe it was cancelled and they had no idea if or when it was returning.)

• Useful 2

I thought this was going to be about the "problem with Jon Stewart" was going to be about his defense of Dave Chapelle and how that tarnished his reputation. I like his brand of no nonsense, common sense approach to the world and comedy, but I am ready for someone who is more open to understanding the nuances in our culture that have occurred over the last 20 years. I am roughly (10 years younger but close enough) his age and it is interesting to see how these formerly phenomenally progressive people, like he and Dave Chapelle can stagnate intellectually and emotionally in the face of societal changes. That being said, I am not really interested in his take anymore. I want the next Jon Stewart. Someone who is still open to personal change. 

• Applause 1

S01.E08: Racism

No matter how sincerely some white people want to educate themselves and take action against racism, white comfort seems to block progress.

Premiere Date: March 24

S02.E01: The War Over Gender

It's a boy! It's a girl! It's a spectrum! It's 19 possible chromosomal combinations! Look, it's complicated. Just watch.

Premiere Date: October 7

Last season they used to get the panel discussions in full up on YouTube. Now we're just getting two minute clips. So a lot harder for me to be able to discuss the episodes now since I'm only seeing a small sliver of it. Really wish the show was not on Apple TV+

Edited by marina to
  • Like 1

I don’t know if they have the interview he did with the Arkansas Attorney General online but Holy. Hell.

sad my free trial is running out in a week.  This has been a good companion piece to Last Week Tonight and Jon definitely seems to be more on form this season.

I know the term Moment of Zen is owned by Comedy Central but Moment of Cruz is NOT THE SAME!  

• Love 1

That clip (with the Arizona AG)  is from his interview airing tonight.

The interview he did with the Arkansas AG is absolutely scathing. It was concerning transgender rights. Here's one link to it, although there are probably better ones out there.

Jon has really stepped up his game this season IMO. If there's anybody reading this who kind of gave up on him last season (let's say there was room for improvement in my view), this season so far has been much better. He eliminated the "sitting around the table talking to his writers" bit and the shows have consisted of a monologue from Jon that introduces the topic this week, interviews from people who have experience with said topic, and then the so-far excellent interviews with the opposition. He is super sharp and focused, and anybody who thinks they can outsmart him will shortly find out otherwise.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, Barbarblacksheep said:

That clip (with the Arizona AG)  is from his interview airing tonight.

The interview he did with the Arkansas AG is absolutely scathing. It was concerning transgender rights. Here's one link to it, although there are probably better ones out there.

My bad! I saw AG and a state that started with A and the vid was trending so I just assumed it was the correct one. Lesson - read carefully!

• Like 1
On 10/26/2022 at 9:40 AM, Barbarblacksheep said:

If there's anybody reading this who kind of gave up on him last season (let's say there was room for improvement in my view), this season so far has been much better. He eliminated the "sitting around the table talking to his writers" bit and the shows have consisted of a monologue from Jon that introduces the topic this week, interviews from people who have experience with said topic, and then the so-far excellent interviews with the opposition. He is super sharp and focused, and anybody who thinks they can outsmart him will shortly find out otherwise.

I think the Election night special might be the best episode yet.  I like that he broke format, those two writers played off him really well.  Although part of me thinks I like this episode because it had more of an old school Daily Show vibe.  I don't mind the interviews I just think they go a little long and there's too much defense and deflection from the interviewees that I feel like no new ground is exactly gained from them.  I do respect the fact that Jon doesn't hold back and doesn't kiss ass with certain sides like other hosts *cough*Maher*cough*.

Also glad he called out the media's tiring doom and gloom coverage.  Unfortunately It looks like it's on hiatus until next year.

• Love 3

Wow. Did that guy even understand what the word “infringement” actually means? Regulating is not infringing. Heck, the word “regulated” is also in the second amendment, why doesn’t anyone ever get hung up on that word? And what logic is there saying “oh, let’s not worry about people dying by guns because people are also dying from drug overdoses?” Both are problems, one has a much easier fix.

• Like 3

Jon is such an expert at skewering these people in his one-on-one interviews. He never quite gets them to see the light though. Is it because they know they're full of shit, or is it because they are actually that dense? This interview with the state senator was very similar to the one he did with the governor who was pushing anti-trans legislation. 

• Like 3

I'm finally catching up with this  (got another free trial of Apple) and am glad I'm sticking with it. THIS is the Jon Stewart I love and who I have missed seeing on my television screen.

I especially loved him telling Andrew Sullivan to basically fuck off.

Just starting season two now.

• Like 2

S02.E12: Trump Indicted
(Season Finale) 

A former president getting indicted makes us wonder. Do we have a two-tiered system of justice in the United States?

Premiere Date: April 6, 2023     Apple TV+

• Like 1