Type keyword(s) to search

Bel-Air - General Discussion

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

On 2/23/2022 at 5:18 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I just saw Jabari Banks on The Kelly Clarkson Show!  He was adooooooooooorable.

Unfortunately this is not the full interview, just whatever I could find on YT.

I wish they would let Jabari Banks be more loose and funny like this, he's effortlessly charismatic and he has comedy chops. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I LOVE this show.  Personally I am here for the dramatized version - I loved the sitcom but if I want that, I'll watch the sitcom.  This is something different and I love it.  I know folks have compared it to The OC and it IS like The OC - but that's really because The OC ripped off TFPOBA anyway and made it into a drama.  I'm happy to see this show snatch that crown back.

I also LOVE that in one episode this show has outdone the new Gossip Girl reboot in terms of drama, wealth and peeking into the lives of the uber rich and famous.  Finally - I have a show I can vicariously live the rich and famous life through!

The kid playing Will is really really good - his mannerisms and voice cadence - SO Will Smith.  The casting couldn't have been better.  I love the whole family - even though Carlton is a complete ASSHOLE - the actor is KILLING it though.  And besides - that's realistic as hell.  Right now, Carlton is a little bit like Luke - but eventually I'm hoping he becomes more like a Seth?

I love Will seeing right through Carlton's whole "trading on his blackness" to be "the cool and popular kid" because those kids didn't know what a real cool black kid actually looked like.  I felt that deep in my bones because I've seen that exact behavior from some before and always hated it, even if I understood the survival instinct (and internalized racism) that causes it.

Hilary is soooooo good I love her!  I mean - first of all - a dark-skinned Hilary?!?!?!  OMG YES!  And I'm loving her and Jazz's first meeting... so good!  Jazz is a happy surprise here too.

Also - I didn't get that Uncle Phil doesn't like Will - it's more that Will is disrupting what he has going and I get that too.  He also clearly did something over the line to get Will out of jail and the charges disappeared so he's worried about that coming back around to bite him.

Carlton and Will is giving me Luke vs Ryan (OC) or Lucas vs Nathan (OTH) or even Blair vs Serena (GG) but it WORKS for me.  I really like this and I still think Carlton is savable because his inauthentic spiel is literally killing him.  He's got anxiety issues because he's living a lie.  He's not who he projects himself to be and everything he does is fake and to get ahead and it's messing him up internally because he knows it's wrong deep down.  When he finally comes face to face with that moment I can't wait.

Will still has his moments of absolutely charming folks and turning situations around - because he's real and authentic.  Does he mess up stuff too still?  YES - but so did OG Will (stop acting like he was perfect and turned everything he touched to gold - he didn't always).  He's already charming teachers and students and eventually like he told Carlton - the school will bow to HIM.

Carlton knows it deep down because Carlton is insecure.  He knows his "kingdom" is conditional and based on fakeness so he knows a real prince can come in and snatch it all - it's why he's so threatened by Will.  What's sad is he thinks his parents will like Will better when they've given him everything and clearly love him to death.  But I think his dad is more HBCU and Carlton is more Ivy League and thinks his dad and he don't quite "vibe".  His dad made him a basketball court but Carlton chose Lacrosse, while Will loves basketball.  So now he even feels insecure about his dad, which is sad.

He's still a jerk though, lol.

I love Geoffrey reimagined as more of an Alfred.  That's dope.

All in all I love this show - it's even better than I hoped it would be and I encourage everyone to give it a real chance.  It's sooooo good.  Is it a comedy?  No - but it does have some moments of hilarity.  If you want straight comedy, this isn't that show though.

One day I really wanna do a study on the psychology of fandoms and reboots, lol.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

Latest episode was something. I think Trey was being unfair. Will deciding he wants to stay in Bel Air and explore his opportunities doesn’t make him a sell-out or mean he’s turning his back on his friends and family.

I get why Carlton was so upset at how Phil pulled strings to get Will out of trouble. You spend your whole life being lectured by your parents on doing the right thing only to later find out they don’t always practice what they preach. 

I finally saw the second episode.  I know exactly how Carlton feels.  My dad is in finance but I never had interest in his line of work.  I mean, I've, lately, developed an interest in venture capitalism, but my area of focus isn't really the same as what he does or wanted me to do.  I want to focus on developing women owned businesses/businesses with women as the target demographic (especially with women not getting as much money as men (probably because there aren't enough women investors and guys not "getting" us/businesses targeting us).  I wasn't interested in tech, which was what my mom did, either.  I seemed to be fine with me majoring in drama and history, and I had thought I'd found the perfect internship after taking a PR program after grad school doing event planning at a bank.  It's what I liked (PR) and in a conservative finance-related environment.  Nope.  Pressured to leave after just three months (out of 12).  Later, I dabbled in blogging, and now I'm in the non-profit world, which I really like.  Of course, I'm hoping to go into developing women-founded/owned/focused businesses, but I'm also interested in developing the arts as well as access to early childhood education in lower income neighbourhoods.  It's still not the area my family thinks is the best for me to work in - they think it's too stressful and maybe even "unsafe" for me.  And yeah, I'd feel the same way as Carlton in the final scene if I saw my dad having more interest in helping a cousin because they're interested in the same area than with me.  I'd feel that he wasn't pleased with my interests (I kind of still do.  But I'm a lot older than Carlton is, so it's easier for me to convince my family!).

• Love 2

I'm loving this show a lot! First Saved by the Bell and now this, Peacock is cornering the reboot market.

37 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I finally saw the second episode.  I know exactly how Carlton feels.  

For me, that moment came when Carlton realized his family ditched his lacrosse game to watch Will's basketball game. I know what it's like for family to just put your interests on the back burner when it's not something "traditionally" black for something that is. 

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, Diapason Untuned said:

I'm loving this show a lot! First Saved by the Bell and now this, Peacock is cornering the reboot market.

For me, that moment came when Carlton realized his family ditched his lacrosse game to watch Will's basketball game. I know what it's like for family to just put your interests on the back burner when it's not something "traditionally" black for something that is. 

Or traditionally whatever your background is or what your family does.   There’s a reason why practically every Asian standup jokes about tiger parents! 

(edited)

I almost lost my mind when Michael Ealy showed up in episode 5.  LOL.  They made the scene with Aunt Vivian sooooooooooooooooooooooo horny-seeming.  😁  It doesn't help that he stars in a new erotic thriller like every 6 months.  He was definitely acting like he was in one of those.  

I'm loving Jabari Banks on this show.  His scene with Aunt Vivian at the end, his face was sooooo expressive.  His acting was so impressive at the end with Trey.

I guess there's no Hilary-Trey romance in the cards!  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 2/18/2022 at 10:49 AM, Keywestclubkid said:

House manager would imply that there are other help in the house so far he is shown to be the only one … so he’s security and a maid and a butler and .. this is just confusing ....

I saw a housekeeper in the background of one scene.  With an estate that size I expect they have a fairly large staff.

• Love 1

I just watched episode 3 and I’m liking it more.

I am finding Uncle Phil very attractive. Geoffrey is easy on the eyes as well.

Hilary kind of annoys me. 

Lacrosse is one of the most boring sports to me so I don’t blame the fam for skipping Carlton’s stupid game, kidding kind of I did feel a bit bad for Carlton but he is always overreacting and is an asshole.

Carlton can’t even cut a line properly lol.

Kind of tired of the drug dealer from Philly wanting to go after Will. Did this happen in the OG version? Wish the show could move on from that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Uncle Phil and Aunt Viv definitely had something to do with Will's dad leaving.  That was the reason for Viv and Vy splitting.  They had to have told Will's dad to beat it and not come back till he gets his shit together.

This is gonna be the birth of Will and Carlton becoming brothers.  Will saw Carlton break down emotionally, and went right to comforting him.  And he didn't rat out Carlton, he covered for him.  That's the birth of them becoming close.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Marley said:

I just watched episode 3 and I’m liking it more.

I am finding Uncle Phil very attractive. Geoffrey is easy on the eyes as well.

Hilary kind of annoys me. 

Lacrosse is one of the most boring sports to me so I don’t blame the fam for skipping Carlton’s stupid game, kidding kind of I did feel a bit bad for Carlton but he is always overreacting and is an asshole.

Carlton can’t even cut a line properly lol.

Kind of tired of the drug dealer from Philly wanting to go after Will. Did this happen in the OG version? Wish the show could move on from that.

I know what you mean, but it's just so weird to think that way.  

4 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Uncle Phil and Aunt Viv definitely had something to do with Will's dad leaving.  That was the reason for Viv and Vy splitting.  They had to have told Will's dad to beat it and not come back till he gets his shit together.

Based on what we know about Geoffrey so far, they may have done something much worse. It will be interesting to see how gritty this gets.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

Based on what we know about Geoffrey so far, they may have done something much worse. It will be interesting to see how gritty this gets.

I don't think they killed him, if that's what you're suggesting.  They could have threatened to kill him because he did some shady shit.

(edited)
19 hours ago, Jediknight said:

This is gonna be the birth of Will and Carlton becoming brothers.  Will saw Carlton break down emotionally, and went right to comforting him.  And he didn't rat out Carlton, he covered for him.  That's the birth of them becoming close.

Have you read spoilers?

Has anyone watched Episode 6?  Somebody throwing an enormous party for someone that's passed away every single year (?) realllllllly threw me off.  I was trying to figure out if Gail was some kind of major public figure or politician or something but she simply was Vivian's BFF?  Is that right?  The whole thing seemed so odd to me.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Has anyone watched Episode 6?  Somebody throwing an enormous party for someone that's passed away every single year (?) realllllllly threw me off.  I was trying to figure out if Gail was some kind of major public figure or politician or something but she simply was Vivian's BFF?  Is that right?  The whole thing seemed so odd to me.

I thought that was weird too. I get that it’s an annual fundraiser for lupus research, but they all acted like they throw a yearly funeral for Gail.
Lisa’s stepmother is the worst. I loved Aunt Viv telling her off.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I thought that was weird too. I get that it’s an annual fundraiser for lupus research, but they all acted like they throw a yearly funeral for Gail.
Lisa’s stepmother is the worst. I loved Aunt Viv telling her off.

Ohhhhhhhhh.  Thank you.  That actually fills in a lot of blanks for me.  I missed that.  But yes, a little weird.   But a little less weird now that I know about the fundraiser.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ohhhhhhhhh.  Thank you.  That actually fills in a lot of blanks for me.  I missed that.  But yes, a little weird.   But a little less weird now that I know about the fundraiser.

They really were not clear about it! There was one brief line about lupus, but overall it really did just seem like Vivian throws an annual memorial service for Lisa’s mom. The silent auction must have been very successful considering how much Phil spent on Vivian’s painting!

• Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

They really were not clear about it! There was one brief line about lupus, but overall it really did just seem like Vivian throws an annual memorial service for Lisa’s mom. The silent auction must have been very successful considering how much Phil spent on Vivian’s painting!

LOL, sorry, but since you are much better at observing than I am, what did he spend?  I hate when they show tiny scribbles on a TV screen!  Give me a break, shows!

On 2/27/2022 at 4:46 PM, Diapason Untuned said:

I don't think they put his interests on the backburner because it wasn't traditionally black - it was because the basketball game got close and wildly entertaining and they just got distracted by it.  I'm sure Carlton took it that way and his feeling hurt by that was valid.

But - hell - I cheered all through middle, high school and college and my parents never saw one game.  I didn't even realize this until I was much older and well out of my parent's house.  BUT Carlton clearly needs that kind of rapt "all about him" attention from his parents and he was hurt when he didn't get it.  Okay.

My issue with Carlton is that if he's not the center of attention, he blows up.  That's not about black vs white - that's Carlton being massively entitled and never learning how to share the spotlight.  He's incredibly selfish - even in the latest episode that hasn't changed - all he cared about was using Lisa's mother's event to cozy up to her - constantly NiceGuyTMing her to try to get back with her.  Her reaction to that was so human and RIGHT because he's been doing that to her the entire show.  Will was 100% correct to point out to him that him trying to help Lisa feel better purely as a friend (even with Carlton's blackmail hanging over him) should have been cheered by Carlton if he really cared about Lisa vs just wanting to "win" her.

But after his breakdown - I really hope he takes stock of his life and his own choices.  Part of what upsets him really is that he has bought into respectability politics whole heartedly in order to assimilate and fit in (maybe because when he let himself be himself and imperfect he was ostracized), but Will has not but Will is becoming a star at his school and with others around him.  That's hard - but that's on Carlton to fix.

I see a lot of Blair Waldorf in Carlton.  She too blamed Serena for existing and shining effortlessly and was mad she couldn't do the same (even before Serena's mistakes and the mess with Nate, Blair was jealous of her innate star power). She had to earn her stripes a different way.  Carlton needs to do the same thing - find who he really is inside and live that life authentically, letting the chips fall where they may.  He'll be a much happier and better person for it.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:50 PM, Jediknight said:

Actually I think Aunt Viv might actually be Will's mom.  It's just a feeling - but I hope that doesn't happen actually.

I really did love seeing Will comforting and covering for Carlton, but he does need help and I hope Will pushes him to get it.

12 hours ago, Jeddah said:

They've been talking about this fundraiser for the last 2 episodes but maybe it was too subtle?  But rich folks creating a fund or nonprofit from a loved one's death is standard rich folks stuff (lol) so I didn't find it surprising or weird that this happened.  Lisa talked a lot about how important it was to her because of her mom - but maybe they didn't connect it enough to lupus in previous episodes.

But in this one they did state it was for a Lupus fundraiser, so.

I HAAAAATTTTEEEEEE Lisa's step mom - first she's a homewrecker who was with Lisa's dad before Lisa's mom died and worse she really WAS trying to make the event about HER.  Even that moment when she exclaimed over the baby kicking seemed fake - I don't believe the baby kicked at all - she was just mad the conversation turned to Howard and the sorority Lisa's mom, Viv and her artist friend were all in and the convo wasn't about her.  You can tell she's salty because she gives them all a weird look right before her fake little "Ah!".

I just hope that when the fit hits the shan and they find out that Phil pulled strings to get Will out and it threatens his race, news that Lisa's dad cheated on his sick wife with Angela leaks and black folks (who will already be salty about a black chief of police running) turn out in droves to vote for Uncle Phil and he wins.  Anything to stick it to Lisa's dad and Angela.  Jerks.

I was cheering when Aunt Viv went off on Angela - and did yall see Aunt Viv's artist friend in the background taking off her earrings to get ready to fight?  lmao.

Aunt Viv please run from Michael Ealy - he's up to no good.  Run.  Ruuuuuuuunnnn!!

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

It was way too subtle for me! 

Too subtle for me too.  I'm usually cooking and walking around my place while I watch the show.  I don't know.  I definitely miss nuances.

1 hour ago, phoenics said:

Aunt Viv please run from Michael Ealy - he's up to no good.  Run.  Ruuuuuuuunnnn!!

But what's going on with Philip?  He wants to control Vivian and not let her do her art or let people buy it other than him.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, phoenics said:

Actually I think Aunt Viv might actually be Will's mom.  It's just a feeling - but I hope that doesn't happen actually.

I don't think Aunt Viv is Will's mom, Hilary's the oldest so she would remember Viv being pregnant.

13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

But what's going on with Philip?  He wants to control Vivian and not let her do her art or let people buy it other than him.

I think it's because that snake was gonna win, he knows the dude is bad news.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Jediknight said:

I don't think Aunt Viv is Will's mom, Hilary's the oldest so she would remember Viv being pregnant.

I think it's because that snake was gonna win, he knows the dude is bad news.

Plus Will and Carlton are the same age.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I loved Aunt Viv calling out Lisa’s stepmonster. That bitch had some nerve trying to make the day all about herself. And the fact that she and Lisa’s dad hooked up while Lisa’s mom was still alive? Real nice.

Her dad was a jerk too, but just for the cheating, but stabbing Uncle Phil in the back. Poor Lisa.

Carlton was a little less shitty in the new episode but that’ll probably go out the door when he finds out Will and Lisa are together now.

Please do not let let Aunt Viv have an affair with Reid. He’d better watch his back now that Jeffrey I’d looking in on him.

• Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, phoenics said:

I don't think they put his interests on the backburner because it wasn't traditionally black - it was because the basketball game got close and wildly entertaining and they just got distracted by it.  I'm sure Carlton took it that way and his feeling hurt by that was valid.

I don't blame them for wanting to stick around and watch a turnaround game.

I would ask why one parent didn't go to the lacrosse game and the other go to the basketball game, or why they decided they would go to the basketball game first.

It came across to me as none of them really wanting to go watch lacrosse in the first place. They would go and cheer Carlton on, but they would think of it, subconsciously or not, as doing a chore not as something they would enjoy on it's own. 

But - hell - I cheered all through middle, high school and college and my parents never saw one game.  I didn't even realize this until I was much older and well out of my parent's house.  BUT Carlton clearly needs that kind of rapt "all about him" attention from his parents and he was hurt when he didn't get it.  Okay.

I don't think he needed everyone there, just a single person would have been fine.

22 hours ago, phoenics said:

I HAAAAATTTTEEEEEE Lisa's step mom - first she's a homewrecker who was with Lisa's dad before Lisa's mom died and worse she really WAS trying to make the event about HER.  Even that moment when she exclaimed over the baby kicking seemed fake - I don't believe the baby kicked at all - she was just mad the conversation turned to Howard and the sorority Lisa's mom, Viv and her artist friend were all in and the convo wasn't about her.  You can tell she's salty because she gives them all a weird look right before her fake little "Ah!".

That baby definitely didn't kick. She was just trying to show off.

Not to mention she outed herself as a homewrecker, knew she outed herself and still wanted to insert herself into the event? I start to wonder how much of this is Fred's doing.

Going into her private studio and manipulating her with her husband to get her to show her work when she wasn't ready for it was creepy. Plus the way he just blithely wrote down $15,000 when he was the one that came up with the conditions for the bet, when he knows she'll see that eventually? He's trying to get with her.

21 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Phillip is fine, that Reid dude is the one that has to be watched.

Edited by Diapason Untuned
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, PRgal said:

Plus Will and Carlton are the same age.

Good point - of course that's right.  The other fan theory is that Will is Phil's son - I really hope not.

11 hours ago, Diapason Untuned said:

I don't blame them for wanting to stick around and watch a turnaround game.

I would ask why one parent didn't go to the lacrosse game and the other go to the basketball game, or why they decided they would go to the basketball game first.

This would have made SO much more sense!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, phoenics said:

Good point - of course that's right.  The other fan theory is that Will is Phil's son - I really hope not.

This would have made SO much more sense!

One parent going to each is pretty much how people have done it for generations!!  And there are really only two ways that Viv can be Will’s birth/bio mom:  if Will and Carlton are fraternal twins or if Carlton is adopted.  And neither make sense to me. 

• Love 2
On 3/5/2022 at 12:26 PM, phoenics said:

My issue with Carlton is that if he's not the center of attention, he blows up.  That's not about black vs white - that's Carlton being massively entitled and never learning how to share the spotlight.  He's incredibly selfish - even in the latest episode that hasn't changed - all he cared about was using Lisa's mother's event to cozy up to her - constantly NiceGuyTMing her to try to get back with her.  Her reaction to that was so human and RIGHT because he's been doing that to her the entire show.  Will was 100% correct to point out to him that him trying to help Lisa feel better purely as a friend (even with Carlton's blackmail hanging over him) should have been cheered by Carlton if he really cared about Lisa vs just wanting to "win" her.

But after his breakdown - I really hope he takes stock of his life and his own choices.  Part of what upsets him really is that he has bought into respectability politics whole heartedly in order to assimilate and fit in (maybe because when he let himself be himself and imperfect he was ostracized), but Will has not but Will is becoming a star at his school and with others around him.  That's hard - but that's on Carlton to fix.

I see a lot of Blair Waldorf in Carlton.  She too blamed Serena for existing and shining effortlessly and was mad she couldn't do the same (even before Serena's mistakes and the mess with Nate, Blair was jealous of her innate star power). She had to earn her stripes a different way.  Carlton needs to do the same thing - find who he really is inside and live that life authentically, letting the chips fall where they may.  He'll be a much happier and better person for it.

I really did love seeing Will comforting and covering for Carlton, but he does need help and I hope Will pushes him to get it.

Actually I got the vibe that Phillip may be Will's dad.  Remember how he changed the subject when Hillary was talking to Ashley in the kitchen about why Viv and Vi don't talk anymore

• Love 1

I'm so glad they're ramping up Jazz now!!!!!  And Jilary/Hilariazz!  LOL!  

The Victoria's Secret reference this latest episode felt wayyyyyy out of date.  It would be Fenty that Hilary would be interested in working with, not VS.  Fenty has basically destroyed VS.

By 2016, Victoria's Secret's market share began to decline, increasingly giving way to a growing consumer preference for athleisure.[13] The company canceled the circulation of their famous catalog in 2016. The brand struggled to maintain its market position following ongoing criticism and controversy over the unsavory behavior and business practices of corporate leadership under Wexner and Ed Razek.[14][15][16] As of May 2020, with over 1,070 stores, Victoria's Secret remained the largest lingerie retailer in the United States.[13][9][17] Parent company L Brands announced the planned closure of 250 Victoria's Secret and Pink stores in 2020, a nearly 25 percent reduction of all retail locations, following the COVID-19 pandemic.[17]

Wow @ the ending of that episode.  That's fucked up.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I was so happy to see Carlton and Will becoming friends, and then nope.

Phil was a jerk in this episode. Did he really think surprising Vivian like that was a good idea?

Lisa’s dad saves the day! I wish we had seen his reaction to Lisa calling him from the Banks’s house to ask him to get the cops to leave. How did the cops get in the gate anyway?

14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm so glad they're ramping up Jazz now!!!!!  And Jilary/Hilariazz!  LOL!  

I like Hillarazz.

ETA: Now that I think about the gate was probably open so everyone could get to the party.

Edited by Jeddah
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I was so happy to see Carlton and Will becoming friends, and then nope.

It’s a shame too, because Carlton actually got to be awesome this week. He finally called Connor out on his racist crap, and his other friends stood up for him. That was great. But then Connor had to go full dick and call the cops on him, giving him his first experience in profiling. It’s a good thing Lisa’s dad is a cop because that could have gone so much worse.

I hate that Carlton found out about Lisa and Will that way. It was going to hurt no matter what, but still. 

Glad Viv and Phil had that talk. Still don’t trust Reed.

It’s obvious that Phil pulling strings for Will is going to be exposed, and that Fred is going to use it against him. I just really hope it won’t be Carlton that blabs because that will be a low so deep it’ll be unforgivable.

• Love 1

Just watching episode 5.

Still do not give a fuck about Hilary’s influencer crap. 

Tray really was overreacting. Just calm down. Yea it’s sucks your friend isn’t coming back but Jesus. I thought they were gonna start kissing when fighting on the bed. Tray acts like he’s in love with Will. 

Carlton still sucks so bad. I hate his stupid douche face.

Will’s mom kind of annoys me.

• Love 1

Okay, what’s the big secret about Will’s Dad? All that buildup, and then no payoff in the episode. I don’t want this to be some endless mystery for the show.

Carlton has definitely grown on me! It was good to see him be so open about his feelings. That was unexpected.

They definitely don’t act like they hadn’t seen each other in decade. It sounded like the reunion at their grandmother’s was a long time ago. When Will moved in he wasn’t a total stranger to everyone, even if he’d never been to their house before. The timeline seems messed up.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Jeddah said:

Okay, what’s the big secret about Will’s Dad? All that buildup, and then no payoff in the episode. I don’t want this to be some endless mystery for the show.

Get rich quick schemes, owing a lot of people money, and them not wanting Will to know?  He was a con artist, and they and G all had something to do with him leaving.  They did it to protect Will.

Good to see that Carlton and Will are on good ground.  When Phil said he'd do anything to protect his kids, that hit for Carlton, that started to take away his hatred for Will and Lisa being together.  Then Vy mentions to Carlton about Will bragging about Carlton being top of the school.  At that point Carlton was coming around, then you add in Vy saying Will always wanted a brother, and seeing the fight between Vy and Viv, and Carlton just let all that hatred go.  And Will got to hear why Carlton was the way he was, and he sympathized with it.  It wasn't what Will did, that was just as Will said "The straw that broke the camel's back."  Carlton always had to be perfect for everybody, he wasn't able to make a mistake.  That's a lot of pressure to put on somebody.

• Love 6

So is Will Smith gonna cameo has Will's dad? That's the only thing i kept thinking when they kept talking about how he had his mannerism and was starting to look like him... I mean with all this talk he has to show up now right?

And the big secret ... maybe they never told Lu that Will even existed? 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 1

I knew they wouldn’t make Carlton full-on evil, but I’m still really glad he’s starting to mellow out. Having your ex hook up with your cousin would be a lot under any circumstances, and like Carlton said, he was already resenting Will for coming in and easily winning over his parents and the school while he still struggles with both.

Good for Hillary telling Kylo to shove it. There’s a fine line between expressing your sexuality and being exploited, and that douche canoe was exploiting her.

Well, I guess Geoffrey didn’t have Lou killed. Hope we find out the whole story soon because I really want to know.

11 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

So is Will Smith gonna cameo has Will's dad? That's the only thing i kept thinking when they kept talking about how he had his mannerism and was starting to look like him... I mean with all this talk he has to show up now right?

And the big secret ... maybe they never told Lu that Will even existed? 

No, he definitely knew about Will, since he was the one that took the picture and Will said he remembers some stuff with him.

Honestly, I think casting Will Smith as Lou would be too much. It would hit too close to fans of the original show, since the stuff about Lou doing all his get-rich quick schemes could easily be applied to Fresh Prince Will.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I knew they wouldn’t make Carlton full-on evil, but I’m still really glad he’s starting to mellow out. Having your ex hook up with your cousin would be a lot under any circumstances, and like Carlton said, he was already resenting Will for coming in and easily winning over his parents and the school while he still struggles with both.

Good for Hillary telling Kylo to shove it. There’s a fine line between expressing your sexuality and being exploited, and that douche canoe was exploiting her.

Well, I guess Geoffrey didn’t have Lou killed. Hope we find out the whole story soon because I really want to know.

No, he definitely knew about Will, since he was the one that took the picture and Will said he remembers some stuff with him.

Honestly, I think casting Will Smith as Lou would be too much. It would hit too close to fans of the original show, since the stuff about Lou doing all his get-rich quick schemes could easily be applied to Fresh Prince Will.

And that scene from the original show where Will starts crying when Lou left without him…I just can’t….that scene is permanently burned in my brain. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I can't really see it being a good move to cast Will Smith as Lou.   I mean I absolutely believe Will Smith can pull off whatever the role requires I just think that is too weird and meta and will take people who are watching the reboot out of what should be an emotional story.  

There was too much build up about Lou this episode for it not to have any kind of payoff so I hope this doesn't fester for too long.  

Was Geoffrey about to tender his resignation before Will walked back into the room.  He had a letter he was leaving on Phil's desk and then he didn't.  

I don't care about HIlary's story at all especially if Jazz isn't in the scene but she comes off as so wishy washy.  I was all fine with her turning down that magazine because they asked her to compromise her food.  And then she leaves for the influencer house, and she's all rah rah these people are great and then they take advantage of her and she's angry and then she sees $$$$ and she's happy and then she's not and  now she's gone and that guy is toxic regardless of if she wants to stick to the sexy chef brand but OMG the wishy washy.  Decide who you want to be Ms. Banks. 

• Useful 2
23 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I don't care about HIlary's story at all especially if Jazz isn't in the scene but she comes off as so wishy washy. 

😍😍😍😍

I'm so glad they're trying to make me care about Jazz in this show.  I'm so glad they're finally putting forth an effort.  I looooooooved him in the original show.

• Love 2

I've only seen the first three episodes but I'm loving this new take. They've done a tremendous job with reimagining the characters. The guy playing Will is fantastic - that's the one portrayal this series would have swum or sunk on, and the young man is really nailing how the character felt in the original series without going overboard into copying Will Smith the actor.

I get the "Carlton is an asshole" comments - and he is - but I can see where his feelings and poor choices are coming from too, which I appreciate. He's terrified he's the Salieri to Will's Mozart, although he'd probably swear up to his eyeballs that this wasn't the case.

I feel like I've seen the actress playing Hilary before, but I can't place her. I'll look her up to see if I recognize anything.

Edited by Miss Dee
Basic editing
  • Love 3
On 3/17/2022 at 10:48 PM, Jediknight said:

Get rich quick schemes, owing a lot of people money, and them not wanting Will to know?  He was a con artist, and they and G all had something to do with him leaving.  They did it to protect Will.

On 3/18/2022 at 7:25 PM, Keywestclubkid said:

Or maybe Will wasn’t really his? 

I'm convinced that Phillip and Viv paid Lou to go away and have no contact with Will and Vy.

On 3/17/2022 at 5:21 PM, Jeddah said:

Carlton has definitely grown on me! It was good to see him be so open about his feelings. That was unexpected.

Yeah, this was a great episode for Carlton, it's great to see him open up about how he was feeling. Having to prove you're worthy to exist in the same space when those other rich white boys can be as average and mediocre as they please with no expectations would definitely get to your head. 

They definitely don’t act like they hadn’t seen each other in decade.

They talk on the phone now and then.

When Will moved in he wasn’t a total stranger to everyone, even if he’d never been to their house before. The timeline seems messed up.

For them, Will is basically the cousin you met once on a family trip your parents dragged you to years ago. You know they exist, but that's it

• Love 2

Geoffrey....    Sigh.

Darn it Will... open the envelope.   

That's it.  Those are the sum total of my feelings about this episode.

Oh, and I like seeing Will and Carlton getting along and Will giving Phil credit but it feels sort of early.  Are they planning for this to be a one season kind of thing?   Because they are blowing through plot.

• Love 4