Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0: Season Seven Talk

• Start Topic

I liked her "'You ought to be embarrassed, son,' is Mormon for 'suck my fucking dick you pussy ass bitch.'"  Plus, because she's a woman she could make the joke about being attracted to Romney in this moment, adding that because he's a Mormon he'd be open to taking another wife and because he's a Republican he'd be open to an affair.  "Problem solved." 

I have to add, though, that I'm child-free and no one has ever made a disparaging comment to me about it, never mind broken down weeping over it.  I guess I just put out a vibe, and I don't know much about Chelsea Handler, but I would think she, of anyone, could put off a vibe.  Maybe she was just speaking for child-free women who have had this happen, and not as one, but it brings me back to, who the hell would break down weeping upon being told a person has chosen not to have children? 

[I should note, however, that I was once talking to a friend who is also child-free and when I said nobody has ever made a comment to me about it, she replied, "Maybe they think you shouldn't have children."  Snort.]

• LOL 6

I really liked Chelsea's segment on how deciding not to have children doesn't mean she hates children. She may not want the responsibility 24-7 or completely change her life to have children, but she loves being cool aunt Chelsea and spending some time with her neices and nephews. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I have to add, though, that I'm child-free and no one has ever made a disparaging comment to me about it, never mind broken down weeping over it.

I think it could be location. A couple of my friends received disparaging comments. They didn't weep, but they didn't stay quiet either. 

How much of the opening headlines monologue the the host usually write? 

I loved Chelsea showing how miserable she was by showing her Instagram. That's really why people get mad about childless adults. Also good sleeping habits. I get the same sometimes. 

• Like 4

I think she's the only one so far who might actually want the job. She had a show that got canceled recently, didn't she? 

I really hope they don't give it to her, though. I really don't like her schtick about not caring about politics, thinking it's boring, mocking the child genius, and generally I find her obnoxious at least 1/2 of the time. 

• Like 1

As a child-free woman, I loved that piece on how people feel free to make all kinds of comments on that choice, sometimes right to a woman's face.  I could have done without the doctor segment with Julianna Margulies, as she bugs me, but otherwise I loved it.  Especially Chelsea's list of how we're actually helping society.  Fewer crying babies on planes and in restaurants!  😄

• Like 6

Chelsea had a Netflix talk show that got axed a few years ago, but consistently has had comedy specials on various platforms. I would think she probably works clubs on the regular. 

5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Especially Chelsea's list of how we're actually helping society. 

She mentioned reducing her carbon footprint. Too bad all the tax breaks are for 'working families' and no one gets credit for choosing not to. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I really liked Chelsea's segment on how deciding not to have children doesn't mean she hates children.

I didn't.  It shouldn't matter at all whether a woman who decides not to have kids loves children or hates children.  Defending your choice acknowledges that you have something to be defensive about.

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Fewer crying babies on planes and in restaurants! 

More importantly, fewer Elon Musks.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I could have done without the doctor segment with Julianna Margulies, as she bugs me, but otherwise I loved it. 

I don't like those segments in general. It feels like Daily Show is trying to be SNL, especially the digital shorts, and it doesn't work for me.

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

It shouldn't matter at all whether a woman who decides not to have kids loves children or hates children. 

I meant that sometimes people seem to conflate the two, when they shouldn't. It's two seperate issues, and I liked that Chelsea was clarifying that deciding not to have kids isn't the same as hating kids. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I meant that sometimes people seem to conflate the two, when they shouldn't. It's two seperate issues, and I liked that Chelsea was clarifying that deciding not to have kids isn't the same as hating kids. 

I can't stand kids, but I didn't have a problem with her saying she doesn't dislike them.  I appreciate that she brought it up last, as a by the way; her starting point was "I don't have kids because I decided I'm happier without them". 

• Like 5

The segment on being child-free couldn't have resonated so much or maybe even happened if there weren't a woman in the chair, so that has been a good thing about having this transitional phase of rotating hosts.

That being said, I could do without the mentions of drugs. It's really not interesting and just seems like trying too hard.

• Like 3

Can they bring Wanda Sykes back?  Sarah Silverman is another comedian I have a complicated response to -- although she had me pretty hard in the yay column after that compilation of right-wing diatribes; a god-hating whore they'd like to hit with a pie is generally right up my alley!

"I love how we're not ruling anything out, but we're shooting everything down" was funny, but so far I think she's just okay.  We'll see.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

tbh, the pie in the face is always funny. 

On a technical note of interest, I do wonder how much hosts have input into writing for the show. I'm sure other people follow Chelsea and Sarah; their jokes and style are clearly evident to me in the opening segment. 

tbh, I would have liked two segments with Winstead. I didn't know she was involved with abortion rights. I knew Sarah was, which is likely why she was on, but I could have gone for a lot more. 

• Like 1

Sarah is a slight edge over Chelsea for me, but both have been my favorites so far. I think Chelsea limited herself with the two panels of just her friends riffing. It was funny, but I would have liked more segments with the group.

Shallow - Sarah looked great in green.

12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I enjoyed the on the street interviews.

She looked like she was having a blast. 

20 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Shallow - Sarah looked great in green.

Agree, but what was that outfit on Wednesday night?  Aside from looking like a babydoll dress, it was too busy for the camera.  But I've noticed in the past that she's worn things that I don't like, or that just seem odd.  I think jumpers (American jumpers, not sweaters) are adorable, but I'll just go there and say at a certain age they lose their appeal.

And the bridal hair on two of the episodes.  Weird, and distracting.

(I'm an equal-opportunity hair wonderer abouter--I followed Trevor's hair as closely as anything else during the pandemic.)

And what's the deal with the sudden extreme close-ups?  I think I remember one for Chelsea Handler, and I've noticed two for Sarah, and I even don't watch the complete episodes.  It looks like they're refilming something and inserting it, but why does it have to be so close, especially all of a sudden?

Finally, I never thought Trevor was a particularly skilled interviewer and went to a default of not watching the interviews.  Actually, I didn't think Jon Stewart was all that great, either.  Maybe it's because they have such a short time and it seemed like the host (whether Jon or Trevor) did too much of the talking. When they started having the "see the full interview online," it was like they didn't even try to make the ones on the air excellent, and then interviews by Zoom with all the interrupting were the nail in the coffin.

Anyway, how many words did Kareem, her if-you-could-have-anybody-on guest, actually utter?  And of those, how many were about himself and not LeBron James?

Finally (man, this episode got me wound up), I don't really care for Silverman's habit of, during interviews, leaning forward on the desk and tilting her head.  I know that's kind of her schtick, and it's a schtick that I actually don't mind, usually, but in this context it grates.

All of these guest hosts have made me realize how badly I want Trevor back, stuck in the corner of his apartment.

• Like 1

I think Trevor is a great interviewer, and I think he let the guests talk a lot. But he obviously was familiar with their work, books, movies, whatever, and asked really informed, open questions. I watched people I never would have if not for Trevor doing the interview. 

I don't think any of the guests so far is anywhere close to Trevor.

• Like 7

To be fair, these guests are comedians stepping in for only 4 days of shows. I'm enjoying everyone so far, but I don't quite get the feeling anyone is really auditioning for permanent host. Everyone has seemed to be having fun and were funny. I'm not expecting too much in the interviews. I thought Sarah was fine with Kareem. She was kind of fangirling, but she said so right off the bat. 

I'm surprised Sarah got the 'to wit' joke by the censors. I loved her take on 'woke'. 

If some crunchy white girl is busting out a guitar during a delay, they're going to have to delay me from strangling her. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm surprised Sarah got the 'to wit' joke by the censors.

I’m sure I’ll be sorry I asked, but what was there that the censors should have caught?  (Bonus points if you can explain it to me like I’m your mother.)

On 2/16/2023 at 1:45 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm surprised Sarah got the 'to wit' joke by the censors.

I'm not. It's 11 PM on cable in 2023. Not 8 PM on a network in 1965. 

On 2/16/2023 at 1:45 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I loved her take on 'woke'. 

Me too. It's one of the best descriptions that comes close to what "woke" actually is and not what right wing conservatives think it is. 

• Like 5

I liked Sarah's response to the whole kitty litter issue. That's how you stick the landing on the punch line. 

I take the point about social media being a cesspool; the interview was really good. But it's not an either/or. I use twitter for work, like many of the people in my field. With the occasional glib remark about work. That's it. It's worked as a good networking tool for me because people will come up to me at conferences because they 'know me from twitter'. 

You don't have to engage with the other nonsense. I take the point of wanting to push back to make the platform actually useful, but the algorithm can't do anything if there's no input either. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
On 2/2/2023 at 11:00 PM, ShadowKnight2 said:

With The Late Show going dark next week, I had planned on watching all of next week's episodes of TDS.

Then, I found out that next week's guest host is Chelsea Handler.

😠😒

Hard. Pass.

Not a huge Chelsea fan (and never saw her previous show), but I liked her well enough. Could have done without the comedian round table thing, though I love Matteo Lane so I was glad to see him there. Something about her delivery rubs me ever-so-slightly the wrong way, though, so I wouldn't want her to host long-term.

I have a similar issue with Sarah but I liked her as host a lot more than I expected to.

On 2/14/2023 at 1:41 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm just waiting for Hasan to appear as guest host.

Looking forward to him, and Al Franken.

Am I not remembering or has Ronny not been on the last few weeks?

6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Am I not remembering or has Ronny not been on the last few weeks?

He has not.  I've noticed because he is one of my favorites, and I have been waiting for him to appear.  

• Thanks 1

Hasan.was.AWESOME!

I've missed seeing him so much, even though, yeah, I've caught his show on Netflix, but since I cancelled that, I can't watch it. I loved and laughed at the bit between him and Ronny. Howled at his first line about how he used to be a correspondent on the show for five years and is now a "substitute" for a week!😂

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Out of the whole covid segment, I liked how Hasan placed it in context to show the wide variability in all the investigations not really having any confidence in their findings, or basically the findings just have too much uncertainty. I'm going to guess that finer point is largely going to be missed. 

Hasan and Ronnie trash talking was brilliant work though. Ronnie looked like he was going to break at the beginning. 

I'm wondering how much say Hasan has in the choice of segments/topics, or the host in general. The bits with the kids were great. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I loved and laughed at the bit between him and Ronny.

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Hasan and Ronnie trash talking was brilliant work though. Ronnie looked like he was going to break at the beginning. 

Agree! Reminded me of some classic Stewart/Colbert/Carell pieces.

I’m not even that big of a Hasan fan but based on that first show I’d be happy if they gave him the permanent gig (if he wants it). Most of the guest hosts have been fun, but it looked like he felt right at home.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I like Hasan's proposal for a wealth/shut the fuck up tax, and saying he guarantees J.K. Rowling didn't give a shit about transpeople when she was on welfare.  I also appreciate showing the clip from Scott Adams' podcast, because the article I saw posted in this site's Celebrity Misdeeds thread just quoted the first part, not the part recommending white folks "escape" and that's what he did, moved to a place with a low Black population (indeed; I looked it up, and it's less than one percent -- hope that's white enough for his racist ass to feel safe).  I'd have liked him going into how Adams misstated what the poll asked in the first place, but that's the lesser sin.

I also liked him saying this Energy Department story has resulted in every fucking idiot he went to high school with saying "Apologize to me right now, I told you".  As soon as I saw Ronny was the one he was going to discuss this with, I was giddy.  "We can't be fighting like this, there's white people here."

I don't like kids, so I often find segments with them awkward, but those kids gave me hope.  I loved Hasan saying, "Despite their scathing ageism, what surprised me is these kids are not steeped in the culture wars like the adults."  And the kids saying parents won't admit they're wrong and apologize.  And, OMG, I adored the girl just now finding out your eyes will not get stuck that way if you roll/cross them.  (She's already in glasses, her parents have scared that poor child!)  "You heard them, parents; stop watching this on your phone and spend time with your kids!"

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

I’ve watched some of every guest host so far — Sarah Silverman was my favorite (loved loved loved her fangirling over Kareem Abdul Jabar!) but Hasan Minhaj is really knocking it out of the park this week, IMO. Very likely because he was a correspondent for five years 🤣, but he seems the most comfortable and natural behind the desk. And shockingly to me, I haven’t hated any of the guest hosts! 

• Like 6

Kal Penn was on Colbert's show tonight, saying the TDS hosting job is his dream job and he really really wants it.

Was coming here to post the same thing. Kal didn't dance around about it, he was like, "I want that job!" It will be interesting to see how he does, given how motivated he apparently is. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

Was coming here to post the same thing. Kal didn't dance around about it, he was like, "I want that job!" It will be interesting to see how he does, given how motivated he apparently is. 

He'll have to outshine Hasan Minhaj, if he wants the job. And so far, Hasan has been lights out!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
20 hours ago, SHD said:

I’m not even that big of a Hasan fan but based on that first show I’d be happy if they gave him the permanent gig (if he wants it). Most of the guest hosts have been fun, but it looked like he felt right at home.

As a correspondant he didn't make that big of an impression on me, but after seeing him for two nights, I would be thrilled if he became the new host. I loved his take on the lab leak vs. wet market covid origin. 

14 hours ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

Hasan Minhaj looks like someone who wants the full time hosting gig. 

For me so far, he and Wanda Sykes are the ones to beat, so really just him because I think she has enough else going on that she doesn't want the full time host job. 

• Like 6
(edited)

I don't have any skin on the issue, but the loan forgiveness issue is more nuanced, and I can understand hearing reasonable arguments. What I don't get is the 'I had it hard so they should too'. There's many ways to learn life lessons.  

Please tell me no one is getting tired of FoxNews imploding. Just goes to show you, don't text your crimes. 

I liked the tech segment. What I liked was the problem that you have to create an account for everything. So, no. I've deleted many accounts over the last two years. But the guy was right, you don't have to use all the apps either. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 4
(edited)

Interesting show tonight with the guest cancelling at the very last minute; I wonder who it was supposed to be? I’m assuming that’s why he dragged out the Twitter rant into the Truman Show walkout, just filling time.

Hasan had his 5-year-old daughter come on as a fill-in guest, but I noticed they never really showed her face full on. Wonder why he’d have her on, and sort of show her but not really. He also didn’t say her name.

Okay, at the end you could see her face more clearly, so that makes me wonder why they only showed her from the back during her “interview”.

Edited by Shermie

I hated tonight's show.

He doesn't seem to make a distinction between lying, random blame/deflection politics, and accountability.

I also thought the twitter rant was stupid. THere is for sure a lot of crap on twitter, but if you want actual information you can find it. I've never had a twitter fight. But there are people who use the platform for sensible purposes. 

I give him a pass on the "emergency fill in guest" of his daughter. People cancel last minute, you do what you do. 

47 minutes ago, Shermie said:

Interesting show tonight with the guest cancelling at the very last minute; I wonder who it was supposed to be? I’m assuming that’s why he dragged out the Twitter rant into the Truman Show walkout, just filling time.

It was supposed to be Muslim American comedian, Mo Amer.

6 minutes ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

It was supposed to be Muslim American comedian, Mo Amer.

Oh, bummer -- I love his show Mo (on Netflix, with a second season ordered) and would have liked to see those two talk.

I'm a day behind, so just watched last night's.  I didn't think the Headlines were as well done as Monday's, but still good, and I LOL at the "This is what I'm saying!" frustration on the technology segment -- since I have zero interest in the tech stuff covered in that segment; Hasan's three ways of getting in touch with him back in college are the three ways of getting in touch with me now, and I only want you to use two (call or email; don't text). 

• Like 1

I admit I'm biased when it comes to Hasan--I saw his special, Homecoming, I think the name was, and it was so relatable to me, and hilarious.

I howled at the bit with Dulce; and even the one with Kosta, who I normally can't stand.

And I actually loved his rant about Twitter.

Loved his throwaway line about Jon Stewart, and how Jon didn't want him namedropping, but Hasan did it anyways! Hee.

And the bit with Fox news, and how the hosts' texts proved they didn't believe the bullshit and lies they were spewing.

• Like 4

I can totally understand Hasan wanting to protect his child, I know people who never post pictures of their kids online. But if you want to assure your kid's privacy, why put them on TV??? Exposing her like that, while also not really showing her face and not giving her name, was very confusing. Didn't make Hasan look very good, IMO. YMMV. 

32 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

I can totally understand Hasan wanting to protect his child, I know people who never post pictures of their kids online. But if you want to assure your kid's privacy, why put them on TV??? Exposing her like that, while also not really showing her face and not giving her name, was very confusing. Didn't make Hasan look very good, IMO. YMMV. 

True on that. But, at the same time, they were all caught off guard with the guest bailing out on them at the last moment and were probably scrambling to find someone quick.

• Like 2

I've only watched Monday, Tuesday, so I don't know if this was covered last night, but on TDS Facebook page, they had a behind the scenes. Apparently, Skip Bayliss clipped the Giannis trash talk for his show about Durant, but didn't include the full part. So it only looked like Giannis was talking trash. Hasan went on a good rant. 

• Like 2

If they needed a last minute replacement, I would have gone to someone in-house. Interview someone who works behind the scenes about what they do, like one of the segment producers or some of the writers. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2