Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: Judge's Showcase

Emma Snyder
Message added by Emma Snyder,

As always, this is a spoiler-free topic. If it didn't happen yet, please do not discuss.

• Start Topic

The team’s largest and most talented training camp class must impress DCC judges with solos and field dances to stay in the running.

Airs on CMT Friday, September 17 at 9PM EDT.

As usual, this is a spoiler-free topic. If it did not happen on the show, please do not discuss.

• Love 5

talk about luck - so i managed to sign up to an iptv recently and thought oh they've got cmt (i'm in the uk)

so i was browsing through and saw the season premier was on tonight!!

its destined!!

cannot wait!!!

• Love 3

I feel sorry for Kelli tripping on the dog toy.    Hope she's healing well.  I like Kelli's hairdo tonight.   

I was so glad to see Phil.

I'm glad they weeded out so many, and didn't have packed stands of potential candidates the way they used to.   I really think the video auditions, and other changes should stay.    

Gina looks adorable in that pink outfit. 

• Love 11
Just now, assylamaps said:

How on earth did Melissa not know Maddie was not trying out again???? This Is defiantly setting up a storyline of " Who will be the next Maddie?" all season. 

Right! Wasn't Maddie a 5th year last season?

2 minutes ago, assylamaps said:

How on earth did Melissa not know Maddie was not trying out again???? This Is defiantly setting up a storyline of " Who will be the next Maddie?" all season. 

gutted - didnt know she retired. i try to stay spoiler free. she was my fave. always made the show when she was on

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
Just now, Ms. SW said:

Right! Wasn't Maddie a 5th year last season?

Yeppp. And didn't the Veterans tape and send in videos as well? I remember the girls posting about it on their DCC instas. So if Melissa was judging, she would have known already she wasn't trying out.

I REALLY like the Retirement announcements from a couple of seasons ago (The year kashara and lacey were retiring) So I am crossing my fingers we get another one of those scenes this season

• Love 10

I felt so sad for Ashlinn sharing about her abusive relationship. I'm so glad she was able to move on and is trying to share her experience to help others 

Loving all the pro-Claire comments from the judges! I already love Kleine and can't wait to learn more about her this season!!

• Love 16
26 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I feel sorry for Kelli tripping on the dog toy.    Hope she's healing well.  I like Kelli's hairdo tonight.   

I was so glad to see Phil.

I'm glad they weeded out so many, and didn't have packed stands of potential candidates the way they used to.   I really think the video auditions, and other changes should stay.    

Gina looks adorable in that pink outfit. 

I agree. I hate to see some of the candidates humiliated. I did enjoy the older twins and the 60 something doing the splits!!!

• Love 17

Okay I HATE that they used Thunderstuck instead of a new combo for judging the veterans vs rookies. It was at least a level playing field when they all learned a brand new combo. + Thunderstruck is a 3-4 minute routine. The 8 counts of 8 combo is only about max 2 minutes. I know they're looking for stamina, but it would be nice as a viewer to see them all on the same playing field.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, assylamaps said:

Okay I HATE that they used Thunderstuck instead of a new combo for judging the veterans vs rookies. It was at least a level playing field when they all learned a brand new combo. + Thunderstruck is a 3-4 minute routine. The 8 counts of 8 combo is only about max 2 minutes. I know they're looking for stamina, but it would be nice as a viewer to see them all on the same playing field.

I wonder how much of Thunder they did.... You are correct though. They should have done a new routine.

• Love 8

It was a fairly good first episode.  Nice to see Judy actually talk more.  Everyone looked pretty good.  Kelli seemed friendlier but maybe it was because of the scooter.

Of course Melissa knew Maddie had retired.  That was just the show's a "tribute to Maddie" to me.

• Love 17

A couple of thoughts…

Did anyone else notice how the judges all grouped together for selfies…. Then sat 6 feet apart to discuss 😳🙄 

Daphne looked healthier this episode than I have ever remember seen her.  I also felt like she was very well spoken.  We don’t “hear” from her often so it was nice to hear her speak.  It also sounded as if she had lots of support from her veteran teammates. 

Did MRS have cosmetic work? Lips maybe… I could be wrong… hmm

Don’t I remember KF saying one time on an episode a while back….about a veteran during auditions that she did not like them wearing costumes that were longer….. it seemed like their were quite a few in long flowing costumes in the judges showcase… I’m gonna have to look for it but I think I remember her saying that about a veteran during auditions several seasons ago. 

okay so more than a couple of thoughts… 🤣😁😳

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, TN DCC fan said:

Don’t I remember KF saying one time on an episode a while back….about a veteran during auditions that she did not like them wearing costumes that were longer….. it seemed like their were quite a few in long flowing costumes in the judges showcase… I’m gonna have to look for it but I think I remember her saying that about a veteran during auditions several seasons ago. 

I just think you need to be tall to pull off the longer costume well.  Some I did not think it served well, others it looked nice.  Kelly likes a long leg line... I forget her quote about American thighs. 

Just watched the season 16 premiere episode. Here are my off the cuff comments of the things that made some impressions in my first viewing. I'm sure I'll have some more when I get to review the episode a few more times to see details I missed.

1) Those who have been commenting over the summer about Gina's physique. I politely disagree with your assessment. She looked absolutely great! She appears to have toned her body to perfection and she possesses the most athletic and fit body on the team bar none. I saw no indications of her abusing her body or of any eating disorder. She's SOLID!!!

2) Kat's wig hairline looked worse than it ever has before. 

3) Rachel W. still has it, in looks and in figure. Of all 51 candidates she was IMO top four in both looks and figure and her dancing, though not the best I saw tonight, is still strong. 

4) Claire...WOW!! What a dancer!

5) Chandi's solo seemed totally different than what I remember previously. The style seemed more outgoing and less demure. I liked it and it appears she's come out of her somewhat perceived shyness.

6) Ashlinn. Gorgeous!

7) Sad to see Daphne's dilemma. She didn't look good tonight at all in dance or physique compared to her previous seasons. I know it's all about the injury and I too applaud her devotion and commitment but she needs time to properly and fully heal. 

8) Madeline S. looks more mature, more beautiful and a much stronger dancer than from 2 years ago. Happy to see that.

9) I'll miss Maddie. She was a superstar, cute as a bug and an incredibly sweet and sincere person.

10) Victoria. Reason still a mystery...

11) Kleine from Kentucky...SPUNKY!!!

12) Tori. Looking and dancing better than last year.

13) Alora Rose. I've never seen such a tall dancer with such beautiful long lines and such great control of her long legs and arms. On top of that she's very pretty and honestly looks like a Rockette more so than a cheerleader.

14) Kelli appears to have her normal amount of facial botox but surprisingly it appears as though Judy is using more this year.

• Love 14

I was not a fan of the first episode. Biggest gripes:

1. Love and adore Maddie, but finding a way to fit her in in the first episode seemed forced and unnecessary. DCC retire every year. This should of been handled with a group retirement segment. Not some faux surprise she wasn’t there doing a solo with random clips interjecting her face more than once. Melissa set it up twice - Maddie not there doing a solo, and who is the next point with Maddie gone? Ugggh, overkill.

2. The whole build up to Kat bringing back her cane in previews then they don’t even show her solo? What. Why.

3. Also the preview of Tori’s solo and not showing it?

4. The two emotional backstories of Ashlinn and KayDianna right out the gate. It seemed forced and awkward. Don’t make them open up just to create content. It’s an overdone reality tv formula and it was not executed well.

5. The meeting in the stands where K&J meet with the candidates one on one. No, bring back the table in the office. Bring back Kelli with her list in her hands saying “This is who I need to see in my office.” The whole stand set up looked bad and weird.

6. Not MTT production, but Melissa’s Botox plus some. Yikes.

So far season 16 read to me like they were trying to make a MTT episode and just couldn’t quite get it together.  A rough draft, and a bad one.

• Love 13
51 minutes ago, StellaCL said:

1. Love and adore Maddie, but finding a way to fit her in in the first episode seemed forced and unnecessary. DCC retire every year. This should of been handled with a group retirement segment. Not some faux surprise she wasn’t there doing a solo with random clips interjecting her face more than once. Melissa set it up twice - Maddie not there doing a solo, and who is the next point with Maddie gone? Ugggh, overkill.

2. The whole build up to Kat bringing back her cane in previews then they don’t even show her solo? What. Why.

3. Also the preview of Tori’s solo and not showing it?

4. The two emotional backstories of Ashlinn and KayDianna right out the gate. It seemed forced and awkward. Don’t make them open up just to create content. It’s an overdone reality tv formula and it was not executed well.

5. The meeting in the stands where K&J meet with the candidates one on one. No, bring back the table in the office. Bring back Kelli with her list in her hands saying “This is who I need to see in my office.” The whole stand set up looked bad and weird.

6. Not MTT production, but Melissa’s Botox plus some. Yikes.

So far season 16 read to me like they were trying to make a MTT episode and just couldn’t quite get it together.  A rough draft, and a bad one.

I agree with points 1-6. Well said!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, StellaCL said:

I just think that I was confused not having semi finals and finals.  I was unclear that they were showing everyone going to training camp, so they had the "showcase" but everyone already made TCC.  I guess I would have done better if they spelled it out for me rather than show short snippets,  Were they ranked after showcase or did they just get judges remarks?  This would have been helpful to me.  She talked about Ava being in the bottom after the field kicks so I guess they were ranked there.  I've watched it twice and I still dont quite get when/how the process is working this year.

• Love 4

Agree it was weird they didn’t show Kat’s solo after the build up with the commercial and Judy’s ‘dream.’ (I knew she would toss it though! Fun move.)

Still hate how they don’t show full solos with the real music.  No, I do not want to cut to the judges for a monologue about how great it is. Do that afterwards. I know they don’t have time to show everyone but they could show a lot more with editing out some of Kelli and Judy’s time on the show.  I do like that some of the girls put their solos on IG. Would love if all of them did. 

Love Maddie.  But too much Maddie and no mention of other retirements? Weird and kind of disrespectful to the other girls. 

After show on IG cute idea, but maybe show clips of what we didn’t see? 

Really did want to see more of last year’s rookies, since they were short changed. 

Do not get the point of a ‘judge’s showcase.’  The way they talked about some of them sounded like cuts should have been made. 

Overall a weird first show. 

So happy to see Ashlynn and Madeline S. They both looked so gorgeous! 

• Love 10
13 hours ago, assylamaps said:

Anyone else catch the "coming up this season" preview Kelly saying to Alora Rose: " I heard you're trying out for the Rockettes". Primetime and you both Kelly😂

I wonder if they will cut her because of this? Be a shame if they did

I skipped watching last year, so it was nice to watch something after a long summer with not much information available (spoilers and gossip) as we have had in the past.

I didn't mind the "office visits" being in the stadium, after all that is where they are doing training camp this year.

I was cringing when Daphne was performing. I have had some major damage to my knees (and most of my other parts, lol) through dance, cheerleading, and equestrian activities. Rest is an absolute must at times. I'm 58 and there are days when walking is so very painful or impossible. It is not worth it to try and push through with injuries like that!

The first show seemed so rushed and left so much out. I miss seeing a more drawn out discussion amongst the judges following the solos and kickline in deciding who should/should not make TC. I miss seeing the excitement when Kelli calls the numbers of those who have made it into training camp.

Enough rambling from me, I'm enjoying reading what others thought of episode1!

• Love 9

I am sure KayDianna (or Katianna, as my captioning called her) did have it rough growing up biracial, and her family seems wonderful and supportive, but she still seems a little arrogant to me.  I think the self confidence has gone a little too far...

• Love 7

6 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

I just think that I was confused not having semi finals and finals.  I was unclear that they were showing everyone going to training camp, so they had the "showcase" but everyone already made TCC.  I guess I would have done better if they spelled it out for me rather than show short snippets,  Were they ranked after showcase or did they just get judges remarks?  This would have been helpful to me.  

2 hours ago, Lynnbo said:

Do not get the point of a ‘judge’s showcase.’  The way they talked about some of them sounded like cuts should have been made.

I actually really liked the judge's showcase. I thought it was a good way to introduce all the dancers and establish their baseline for the audience. I don't usually like the semi-finals and finals episodes where we get introduced to dancers who are cut like ten minutes later. That being said, I think the judge's showcase was designed for the show and I think they could have done a better job explaining its purpose.

1 hour ago, berwoman said:

I am sure KayDianna (or Katianna, as my captioning called her) did have it rough growing up biracial, and her family seems wonderful and supportive, but she still seems a little arrogant to me.  I think the self confidence has gone a little too far...

To me, KayDianna seems like a pageant competitor when she speaks, where she often comes across as disingenuous even if she's being completely honest. I want to be clear that I don't think she's making up or exaggerating anything. She just seems way too enthusiastic in a really shallow way.

It kind of reminds me of how I felt about Tori at the beginning of last season, where they both mean everything they say, but it still seems contrived.

However, I place the blame on the producers not the TCCs. Of course it's going to seem fake when TCC start discussing some of the most vulnerable moments in their lives with minimal connection to their storyline on the show. As @StellaCL said it just seems forced when they have to start sharing these moments in their intros.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, berwoman said:

I am sure KayDianna (or Katianna, as my captioning called her) did have it rough growing up biracial, and her family seems wonderful and supportive

A lady that works for me has 3 biracial kids and one caucasian.  She said it is indeed difficult for the biracial ones.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Ugh. This was training camp-us interruptus. 
I really wanted to like this episode, but I just was not feeling it. I REALLY miss prelims and semis, in particular. I have a feeling Ava is going to be the next VK, hopefully not. She came across as annoyingly desperate.

As an aside, I love Kristi Scales longer hair. She looked great! And, Melissa R. needs to stop messing with her face. It’s not necessary. 

• Love 12
16 hours ago, assylamaps said:

That was stupid and absurd.  Really?  MRS now lives in a pod and stays in lockdown off season?  I think not!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

It was time to switch up the format, so I liked the Judges’ Showcase. I just wish the premiere had been longer, so we could see more of the solos and kickline. 

While I totally agree with you, Mr. Opine and Opine Jr. (who pay no attention to blogs, FB or any other off season discussion) were very disappointed with the format change.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, HitItHarder..BAM said:

I actually really liked the judge's showcase. I thought it was a good way to introduce all the dancers and establish their baseline for the audience. I don't usually like the semi-finals and finals episodes where we get introduced to dancers who are cut like ten minutes later. That being said, I think the judge's showcase was designed for the show and I think they could have done a better job explaining its purpose.

To me, KayDianna seems like a pageant competitor when she speaks, where she often comes across as disingenuous even if she's being completely honest. I want to be clear that I don't think she's making up or exaggerating anything. She just seems way too enthusiastic in a really shallow way.

It kind of reminds me of how I felt about Tori at the beginning of last season, where they both mean everything they say, but it still seems contrived.

However, I place the blame on the producers not the TCCs. Of course it's going to seem fake when TCC start discussing some of the most vulnerable moments in their lives with minimal connection to their storyline on the show. As @StellaCL said it just seems forced when they have to start sharing these moments in their intros.

Totally agree with your takes here. I really enjoyed the change up in format, it gets to the meat of the season a lot quicker. Much more enjoyable to watch IMO.

Also- your user name is awesome! I read it in Kitty’s voice 😂

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Agent Gully said:

I was cringing when Daphne was performing. I have had some major damage to my knees (and most of my other parts, lol) through dance, cheerleading, and equestrian activities. Rest is an absolute must at times. I'm 58 and there are days when walking is so very painful or impossible. It is not worth it to try and push through with injuries like that!

I don't get why they had her perform if even the rookies just "made it" to training camp.  I'm pretty sure they had cassie only do part things, reduced duties and had a retired girl fill her spot due to her surgery.  Not certain why this is any different.  

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Agent Gully said:

The first show seemed so rushed and left so much out. I miss seeing a more drawn out discussion amongst the judges following the solos and kickline in deciding who should/should not make TC. I miss seeing the excitement when Kelli calls the numbers of those who have made it into training camp.

Exactly! I agree

• Love 8