Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: Judge's Showcase

Emma Snyder
Message added by Emma Snyder,

As always, this is a spoiler-free topic. If it didn't happen yet, please do not discuss.

• Start Topic

I thought Kat's costume was a hilarious spoof on the 80's aerobics costumes, which Judy and Kelly probably wore.  Seemed to be in line with her cheeky (ha, see what I did there) nod to her original solo.  She's definitely one to go for the personality side of things.

• Love 19
On 9/18/2021 at 8:20 PM, TheGenuineBeauty said:
17. Hey Judy, here's a suggestion for point....ASHLEE!!!! Why are they sleeping on her?

Yasss on Ashlee (POP! BOOM! FIYA!!)!!!! She would KILLLLLL point with Gina.  I’m so way over Rachel. YES she’s pretty… but not fierce for point IMO (neither was Amy btw). 

Injury or not, Daphne has gaaaaaaained, and Gina’s waist is so tiny now I literally thought it was airbrushed/filtered on IG.  I’m all for “fit” but I hope she doesn’t get any smaller (or Colby-esque). 

Was I the only one that thought Gina was going to have a Holly moment on that reach back at the end of her routine?  Yikes! 

For the love of god, CMT PLEASE STAAHHHHHP with the sob stories!!! I want to be entertained, not depressed!   I love hearing how hard they’ve worked to get here, but I don’t care to hear that they had to be inspired by someone dying in the process!  Just stop. 

• Love 16
6 minutes ago, vanillagum said:
2 hours ago, Rita J said:

Injury or not, Daphne has gaaaaaaained

true, but she looks so much healthier and less sickly? :/  she is sooooo pretty

She gained wait in a good way. She looks awsome.

• Love 17

This new format really pisses me off. Instead of a whole episode on prelims, one on semi-finals, and one on finals, we get 5 minutes of each on episode 1. Part of the enjoyment of the show for me was the process: who gets past prelims, who makes it into training camp. I loved watching the girls at semifinals learn the routine on the spot and then have to perform it an hour later for the judges. It feels contrived and I feel robbed of the experience.

What, they didn't have time to show prelims, semifinals, and finals, but they can do entire segments on Ashlinn's abusive high school boyfriend and "all the love" KayDianna has for herself? <eyeroll>

I'll give KayDianna a pass, though, because I really like her look. Her eyes sparkle, her smile lights up the room, and I like the way she communicates on camera. I don't care for Ashlinn's look at all.

Ok, Maddie has retired. Can we move on? SERIOUSLY. CMT could've done a quick flash clip of Maddie while Melissa asks Judy, "Now that Maddie has retired, who are you thinking of for point?" But no. More wasted time.

Loved the 57-year-old twins. And the 64-year-old who could do the splits?! Brava.

Even though the judge's showcase was a poor substitute for finals, I enjoyed seeing some of the girls' routines. The color of Ava's costume was gorgeous, and from what they showed, her solo looked breathtaking. Would've loved to see more of Dani's solo. She was my fave from S15. Claire is incredible. But we all know that.

Loved Caroline's toe point and her overall technique. I really hope she gets point this year.

Wished we could've seen more of Rebecca and Jordann's solos. And Lea's, so maybe we could see what all the fuss is about. Because I don't get her look.

Speaking of looks, what's with the half up-half down Duggar hairdo? Is that really in style right now?

I prefer Sweet Chandi over Sultry Chandi. I know the girl needed a little more pop to her. But if Sweet Chandi incorporated a bit of Sassy Chandi she'd be as big of a rock star as Jenna was.

So good to see Madeline S. back in training camp! She looks beautiful as ever.

Oh, and @HitItHarder..BAM--your handle made me laugh out loud. I love how we both have Kitty Carter usernames! Speaking of, I miss Kitty Carter. Where is she?

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Kamal said:

She gained wait in a good way. She looks awsome.

Prob should’ve caveat edit my comment to say I think Daphne looks great with the extra weight for sure!!!  But I can’t help but also think she might’ve been in danger of being put on a weight warning if she didn’t have to pull out of Training Camp.  She was one of my faves. I will never forget her bright smile. 

Glad to see the posts and that everyone seems to be watching the show again. I was worried there for a minute, as I been a little concerned. 3 pages of posts!!! Welcome back 👏👏👏👏

I didn't hold K&J&CMT personally responsible for how they had to make do last season. The did the best they could under the circumstances  - kinda glad they chose/had to  to do something closely not resembling the prior 14 seasons. 

Sorry I couldn't join in on the fun while the show was airing live this past friday. 

I like the new format - no more of seeing 600+ randoms tryout. Yes - go through that drama offline.

I do wish for a 2hr on finals - ie "Judges showcase version 2.0" - just to see more dancing. But I like the submission dances in their home studio location, so I am torn on how they aired what they did. And I like more dancing on the field - which eliminates some of the field shock some candidates go through.

The panel interviews were always the kiss-of-death for someone, so that was entraining , but still sad to watch. Seeing if a person can master a zoom interview could be nice switch-up.

Didn't care for Melissa's R over-crush on "no maddie". Come'on the woman had to leave sometime. What did Mellissa R want - a personal phone call when Maddie retired ? And what business of yours (Mellissa R) who is or is not the point of the triangle ? You are supposed to be there to help all TCCs.

Isn't ATT air-conditioned ? Didn't get why Marshall was flinging his church fan, as if he was having a hot flash. Judges don't need props either. I would have been ok with Kelli blinging out her scooter - I see she made sure she got a Cowboys blue one !

so this is the math, right : 51 minus 36 = 15 TCCs will be cut ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4

RE: sad / background stories.. 

What got to me was the dad, wiping his eyes, when he said ( paraphrasing) he didn't know at first about the issues/emotions that was going on with his daugter about being teased b/c she is biracial. 

Then I thought about the TCC mom ( I don't think they showed a pix of the dad)  - of the story when she said she was abused by a boyfriend when she was a teenager. That made me very sad - to even think your child is going though this type of relationship, pretty much under your very eyes/nose/watch. Since she said "teenager", I am making the assumption, she still lived at home while the abuse was going on. The TCC even said - "she even thought this is how love was.."..😥. Hope the boyfriend was brought up on charges..

It's a hard job being a parent. Just b/c this is a show about dancing, it doesn't hurt to take 30 seconds to tell what goes (went) on in a young persons life, even its not all about sunshine-unicorns-bunnies-hopping happy news.

I double-applaud the TCC for using their TH for sharing something so personal, yet letting us viewers know there are other more serious issues they are dealing/dealt with besides nailing a dance routine.

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

It's the hair for me with Lea. I actually like her features otherwise. I think what threw me off the most initially was it almost looked like she had one of those black plastic 90s middle school chokers in her initial head shot. I do wonder what they'll do with her hair. 

ETA:

Speaking of hair:Armani. I LOVE her but feel like her hair was better before. 

Also would have loved to see Kleine's full solo. 

And Ashlee F. ... DANG! SHE's got the power!

Edited by PicnicLife77
Adding
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, sATL said:

Glad to see the posts and that everyone seems to be watching the show again. I was worried there for a minute, as I been a little concerned. 3 pages of posts!!! Welcome back 👏👏👏👏

I didn't hold K&J&CMT personally responsible for how they had to make do last season. The did the best they could under the circumstances  - kinda glad they chose/had to  to do something closely not resembling the prior 14 seasons. 

Sorry I couldn't join in on the fun while the show was airing live this past friday. 

I like the new format - no more of seeing 600+ randoms tryout. Yes - go through that drama offline.

I do wish for a 2hr on finals - ie "Judges showcase version 2.0" - just to see more dancing. But I like the submission dances in their home studio location, so I am torn on how they aired what they did. And I like more dancing on the field - which eliminates some of the field shock some candidates go through.

The panel interviews were always the kiss-of-death for someone, so that was entraining , but still sad to watch. Seeing if a person can master a zoom interview could be nice switch-up.

Didn't care for Melissa's R over-crush on "no maddie". Come'on the woman had to leave sometime. What did Mellissa R want - a personal phone call when Maddie retired ? And what business of yours (Mellissa R) who is or is not the point of the triangle ? You are supposed to be there to help all TCCs.

Isn't ATT air-conditioned ? Didn't get why Marshall was flinging his church fan, as if he was having a hot flash. Judges don't need props either. I would have been ok with Kelli blinging out her scooter - I see she made sure she got a Cowboys blue one !

so this is the math, right : 51 minus 36 = 15 TCCs will be cut ?

I miss the prelims and semis.  It's just not the same to start it when they're already in training camp.  Also, Marshall's fan got on my nerves.  I was thinking the same thing that isn't he in AC in ATT Stadium?  I seriously doubt that they had the roof open and the AC not on.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, PicnicLife77 said:

It's the hair for me with Lea. I actually like her features otherwise. I think what threw me off the most initially was it almost looked like she had one of those black plastic 90s middle school chokers in her initial head shot. I do wonder what they'll do with her hair. 

ETA:

Speaking of hair:Armani. I LOVE her but feel like her hair was better before. 

And I hated the Post Malone song last year and even more now during the solos. It just doesnt fit. 

2 hours ago, TK4ever said:

Did anyone catch what was said about Kleine during the judges’ deliberations? The dog started to bark and I missed it.

I'm not sure if this is the right moment or if they said this at anotherpoint, but they said she comes across as heavy on her feet and stompy. 

Edited by PicnicLife77
Sp
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/21/2021 at 12:57 AM, Grandma Moses said:

What, they didn't have time to show prelims, semifinals, and finals, but they can do entire segments on Ashlinn's abusive high school boyfriend and "all the love" KayDianna has for herself? <eyeroll>

I'll give KayDianna a pass, though, because I really like her look. Her eyes sparkle, her smile lights up the room, and I like the way she communicates on camera. I don't care for Ashlinn's look at all.

Ok, Maddie has retired. Can we move on? SERIOUSLY. CMT could've done a quick flash clip of Maddie while Melissa asks Judy, "Now that Maddie has retired, who are you thinking of for point?" But no. More wasted time.

Wished we could've seen more of Rebecca and Jordann's solos. And Lea's, so maybe we could see what all the fuss is about. Because I don't get her look.

Speaking of looks, what's with the half up-half down Duggar hairdo? Is that really in style right now?

I prefer Sweet Chandi over Sultry Chandi. I know the girl needed a little more pop to her. But if Sweet Chandi incorporated a bit of Sassy Chandi she'd be as big of a rock star as Jenna was.

So good to see Madeline S. back in training camp! She looks beautiful as ever.

Oh, and @HitItHarder..BAM--your handle made me laugh out loud. I love how we both have Kitty Carter usernames! Speaking of, I miss Kitty Carter. Where is she?

I really enjoyed KayDianna's family! And since I think that women and girls should all be taught to love ourselves more, I give her a pass, too. It's a little strange to put it that way, but self love is healthy and that is positive role modeling I think. But really, she needs to calm the facials. She just seems like a really enthusiastic person, and her enthusiasm might make her a little extra. I'm a fan of her dancing so far, though!

Haha, Duggar hairdo! I die.

I think Chandi has both sultry and sweet down pat! I have been a big fan of hers from day 1, and think the sultry is mostly her growing up more and gaining confidence. In both her sultry and sweet modes, she just seems genuine to me. I'm not sure how to explain it. Genuine joy, maybe? I would love to see her as group leader down the line.

Hoping we see Kitty later in the season. Very excited for some of the guest choreographers and judges. I wish we heard from Jacie as a judge. We hear all the time from Melissa, but Jacie wasn't just a DCC, she was a rockstar DCC and group leader who went on to be a Rockette. I want to hear from her!!! 

• Love 11

I assumed the change in auditions -- from having a completely open process in-person to selecting candidates via video and then having the judges see them in person -- was a modification for COVID and not a permanent change or anything they did for TV purposes or time. The old way of doing auditions involved a couple hundred candidates, plus the judges, staff and crew. That's a lot of people to try and get test results for and control. Seems much easier to narrow it down to a slightly larger training camp than in years past, test everyone, put them in a bigger space and get an episode that looks and feels sort of like an audition.

Tulip, I was able to purchase it on Amazon yesterday -- it's Season 16. I'm in the US, so it might be different if you're not.

Edited by Nancybeth
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I assumed the change in auditions -- from having a completely open process in-person to selecting candidates via video and then having the judges see them in person -- was a modification for COVID and not a permanent change or anything they did for TV purposes or time. The old way of doing auditions involved a couple hundred candidates, plus the judges, staff and crew. That's a lot of people to try and get test results for and control. Seems much easier to narrow it down to a slightly larger training camp than in years past, test everyone, put them in a bigger space and get an episode that looks and feels sort of like an audition.

Tulip, I was able to purchase it on Amazon yesterday -- it's Season 16. I'm in the US, so it might be different if you're not.

Yeah, I'm in the Netherlands 🤷‍♀️

18 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I admit I’m confused over the outrage of not hosting prelims and semi finals with hundreds of people during a pandemic. I missed elements of this as well, of course, but jumping straight into finals basically was super exciting!

• Love 15
25 minutes ago, evasworld123 said:

I admit I’m confused over the outrage of not hosting prelims and semi finals with hundreds of people during a pandemic. I missed elements of this as well, of course, but jumping straight into finals basically was super exciting!

I agree.  But I did miss judge's panel.  That's a great tool for seeing how intelligent or quick thinking (or not!) the ladies are ie:  Lauren's reply of splitting a Bandaid down the middle when asked who she would give it to between two people.  Maybe part of judge's panel will be shown as a flash back or something.

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, evasworld123 said:

ITA. I found little excitement watching people in line, or sitting in a chair, when over 1/2-3/4 of them didn't need to be there.

The pandemic might have been the reason/cause - but after 15 years that we have seen, not to mention the years the open call for 600+ was happening prior to season 1, and to mention the change in available technology (ie the avg person doesn't need to hire a professional crew to film a 90 sec dance),  it's time for a change.

There is still time for interviews/social skills testing to happen later - like if someone messes up on one of their community outreach events

Edited by sATL
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I assumed the change in auditions -- from having a completely open process in-person to selecting candidates via video and then having the judges see them in person -- was a modification for COVID and not a permanent change or anything they did for TV purposes or time. The old way of doing auditions involved a couple hundred candidates, plus the judges, staff and crew. That's a lot of people to try and get test results for and control.

I get that, but then they didn't show much of the audition videos either. Whereas last year they seemed to show each girl's audition video, which was nice to see. This year, they skipped over much of that and it felt cheap and manufactured to me.

A few people have mentioned Gina's weight. She's very lean but I think she looks good and strong.

Armani looks to me like she has gained weight, and Jada too--although I think Jada was so lanky she can get away with it.

You know who I'd like to learn more about? Kelee. She seems like a no-nonsense person, very down to earth. And from the short snippet they showed of her solo, a strong dancer as well.

I'm not a huge Daphne fan, and in conversation she seems a little too polished and rehearsed, but I felt genuinely bad for her regarding her injury. I admit, it was really hard to watch! I kept thinking, any minute now, it'll be like Catherine O'Hara in Best in Show.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611e6a854762b6dbf777b

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I didn't watch last year as I didn't agree that training camp/the show needed to happen in the middle of a COVID surge (in Texas) and I didn't have the channel on cable. This year, I had to upgrade my cable package to keep another channel, so I get CMT again. I thought I had set up a season recording for this show, but apparently I missed the premiere last week. All that to say, that I have no strong connection to last year's rookies as I didn't see their season and once Brennan was cut, there were fewer and fewer vets that I cared about at all.

I was a little bored throughout this episode with so many people that I didn't know. I still don't understand why CMT insists on forcing sob stories on us about the new girls. I'm very sorry that KayDiana had identity issues (growing up in the 80s as a biracial person, I get it) and the other girl was in a DV relationship as a teenager, but those facts don't help me get to know their dancing or why I should root for them to make the team. It's so awkward to go from Kelly talking about someone's power solo to someone crying about DV.

It was also weird to me that Kelly had a boot cast and scooter for most of the first episode (the "walk out on the field," all of the the showcase, all of the deliberations, etc), but then when she and Judy walked out to announce who they need to "visit with" she was just wearing sneakers. As a person who broke their foot twice, I would think the end of the day, you would want the support of the boot cast MORE, not less. But hey, it's her foot.

Add me as another one who doesn't "get" Kat and I'm not sure why everyone thinks she's all that. But I'm a lot less invested in the team than I used to be, so as long as they don't shove her down my throat (a la VK), I'm meh about her.

I know this was filmed as the vaccine was becoming more available and cases were going down (before the latest Delta surge), but it was kinda hilarious that they had everyone all distanced and doing everything outside or on the concourse, but we never saw the women wearing masks once as they waited outside the stadium for the first meeting or as they clumped up to enter the stadium, etc. Same with the judges that are taking selfies together, but then spaced out for deliberations, etc. I get that Texas probably had no regulations at that time and I'm seeing things through my California lens, but it was ridiculous to me all the same. Either explain that everyone tested, etc or whatever the protocol was, so we don't need to wear masks or actually keep people apart and doing all the protocol things. But don't have Kelly's VO about not being in the bubble play over the women all scrunched together as they enter the stadium and pass Phil!

Anyway, as nice as it was to take a year off last year, it's nice to see how things have changed (mostly for the better). I want to see how the team comes together and the HARD decisions of cutting girls who are good, but not great. Or great, but not extra great. Not girls who can never kick or can't remember choreo from the first night, but Kelly thinks they're pretty. So far I haven't seen that.

• Love 7