Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: Judge's Showcase

Emma Snyder
Message added by Emma Snyder,

As always, this is a spoiler-free topic. If it didn't happen yet, please do not discuss.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Mardo2044 said:

I don't get why they had her perform if even the rookies just "made it" to training camp.  I'm pretty sure they had cassie only do part things, reduced duties and had a retired girl fill her spot due to her surgery.  Not certain why this is any different.  

I'm very amused by the fact that, in the recent post-episode clip someone posted in the other thread, Judy said something about having to judge the girl based on now and not be like, "Daphne's hurt, she's rehabbing."

Inch resting

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Lona said:

Oh wow. They STILL Kept that freaking song LOL.

I really dislike that song. It makes me physically cringe hard, and I always have my thumb ready to hit mute when the show begins. The lyrics could not more more inane if it was literally "This is the theme song for the DCC, la la la, they dance and have poms 'n stuff, la la la."

11 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

I was unclear that they were showing everyone going to training camp, so they had the "showcase" but everyone already made TCC.  I guess I would have done better if they spelled it out for me rather than show short snippets [snip]

Kelli wheeled up in front of the group, told the story about Sugar, and then said "welcome to training camp" and explained the women were part of a select group. I thought it was pretty clear.😉

6 hours ago, berwoman said:

I am sure KayDianna (or Katianna, as my captioning called her) did have it rough growing up biracial, and her family seems wonderful and supportive, but she still seems a little arrogant to me.  I think the self confidence has gone a little too far...

I did not care for her comment about how her solo was an expression of how much love she has for herself.  Show me your confidence. Don't bore me with your self-admiration. It makes me dislike you. It could've been poor word choice on her part, but now has me fighting to keep an open mind.

4 hours ago, HitItHarder..BAM said:

To me, KayDianna seems like a pageant competitor when she speaks, where she often comes across as disingenuous even if she's being completely honest. I want to be clear that I don't think she's making up or exaggerating anything. She just seems way too enthusiastic in a really shallow way.

I agreed with Kelli's assessment that KayDianna has clearly had some sort of media training on how to be a presenter. Someone somewhere along the way told her she should be more animated on camera, so when she's trying to be "on," she has has this affect that comes across as really forced and unnatural. I hope she can learn to relax that.  I see the same thing in some of the other DCCs when they have to do an intro or something and you can tell they're trying to act natural, rather than actually being natural.

3 hours ago, Christineelgene said:

That woman who was knitting and said she had no qualifications:  she did a cart wheel and the splits, which is more than I can do.

I loved her and the twins who auditioned. That was fun and more lighthearted than the "parade of failures" we used to get every year.

• Love 13

I’m not mad at the new format; change is good. But I do miss the build-up of the new candidates going through the first few rounds and then competing against veterans. Like last season, it’s hard to feel a connection to the new candidates because we didn’t have that build-up. 

I personally think they’re purposely doing things to make the DCC organization and specifically Kelli look better:

- No bad auditions where Kelli makes her snarky faces and comments or says something about weight like, “does she think she can even fit in our uniform?”

- Not one mention of anyone’s weight. The conversation with Ava (imo) was forced to give Kelli an opportunity to say something positive related to body/weight (…you have to eat to fuel your body as a dancer).

- The conversation with Daphne was much more positive and caring than discussions and comments they’ve had with other injured candidates (Alyssa, Christina, Joannah).

- After-interviews with Ava and Daphne showed each saying positive things about Kelli and Judy. 

- Veterans automatically making training camp means no harsh cuts during finals. Not saying there can’t be vet cuts, but it will give them more time to build a storyline that makes it seem rational.

I even think the Maddie mentions were to focus on someone that would never say anything negative about DCC. They can always point to her as someone that had a positive experience and became stronger and better because of DCC. 

It will be interesting if there are more moments like this or if the “real Kelli” comes back at some point. 😂

• Useful 8
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Mardo2044 said:

I'm interested to see Brittany Perry-Russell's contribution to the DCC but I really liked Charm.  What happened to Charm, was she not offered a contract this year?

I follow Charm on instagram. She's been busy working on a music career all summer and I think she still does choreography. It was likely just busy schedules, and different career goals. DCC tends to rotate the guest mentors - there was the Access Hollywood guy Anthony, then Nick Florez, then Charm. I think Charm was fairly popular though - I would have loved to see her back.

• Useful 6
  • Love 6

Re the biracial angle:  Remember this:  it’s not you. It’s them. The show took the wrong approach  

Judy’s forehead botox is unfortunate. Kelly’s is almost there. Time comes when time is what it is. 

If we’re going to talk appearance, I am stunned Lea made training camp. 

Based on hot mess Cassie?  Daphne was royally screwed. 

• Love 10
21 hours ago, mani said:

i do miss the audition style opening episodes

they were good. used to build up some fantastic tension for the viewer

Yes! I miss seeing the audition process. The few videos they showed us were not enough. And I miss the bad dancers (they showed us the older ladies, but the young, bad dancers were much funnier). 

21 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I feel sorry for Kelli tripping on the dog toy.    Hope she's healing well.  I like Kelli's hairdo tonight.   

I was so glad to see Phil.

I'm glad they weeded out so many, and didn't have packed stands of potential candidates the way they used to.   I really think the video auditions, and other changes should stay.    

Gina looks adorable in that pink outfit. 

Poor Kelly! Warning Kelly, don't walk too much in that huge stadium. I broke my foot a few years ago and it took months to heal and then kept breaking again when I walked too much. 

• Love 3

A few thoughts:

I am tempted to change my screen name to Marshall’s Fan.

Ashlinn’s too-dark eyebrows and heavy lashes bugged me last season. I’m glad she softened her look.

Madeline S. is stunningly beautiful. I’m so glad she came back.

Kleine seemed like she was trying too hard. I hope she’s not Kat 2.0.

Ava’s demeanor seemed odd to me. “Is ‘best solo’ a good thing?” Come on, girl. 🙄

• Love 16

Anyone else catch the inserted Kelly voiceover at the start of the episode? She talks about the talent being off the charts then you can clearly here the different tone when she says 'The skill of the new candidates may put some veterans at risk' - prepping us for the inevitable veteran cuts I guess. 

Even though I have seen the chart of who makes it I genuinely can't remember who does and doesnt except for a few so it's interesting to watch and really not having any idea of what happens.

I do like Ashlinn this year. She seems a lot more mature this year. 

Edited by onthebubble
Grammar error
  • Love 4

Here's my analysis of Episode 1. 

1. Judy finally got her Kelli Finglass moment and I am here for it. Although she looked awkward AF. 
2. I am happy to see both Tori and Ashlinn at Training Camp again. Those girls got robbed last year.
3. Kleine is so adorable with her glasses. Pulling off the academia aesthetic very well.
4. Ok that 64 year old should have gotten to training camp just for that split alone. Where were you back in the 70's? She would have made it no problem.
5. HOLY GUACAMOLE TYRA!!!! The portions that they showed of her audition video were AMAZING!!! I'm in love.
6. MADELINE S. Welcome back!!!! My second favorite legacy girl (first being Dayton of course) Hopefully she doesn't get cut this time around.
7. Is Kelli wearing Givenchy? That blouse is worth 1,420 dollars (although its on sale for 568 on Saks Fifth Avenue, but still...that's expensive) 
8. Okay Melissa, Maddie wasn't THAT great. Gina on the other hand...So glad she got the number 1 slot. Apparently that's a pretty coveted number to have. Being first and last are always saved for the best vets, so I am glad that Gina got it cause she's an amazing dancer.
9. Looks like Alora-Rose improved from the last time I saw her. Not bad.
10. YAAAAAAS CLAIRE YAAAAAASSS QUEEN!!!!!
11. Still don't like Kat. She's just not my cup of tea guys ok?
12. All of these rookies and vets are talented. The solos were very fun to watch. This is going to be a very competitive year.
13. Wait...Madeline S. was on Barney and Friends? IDK why I found that funny.
14. Idk what the judges mean when they said that Madisyn was boring, because I liked her a lot. But that's what happens when you don't show the whole solo.
16. I am tired of Melissa kissing Maddie's behind, like she's not even on the team anymore!!! Move on!!!
17. Hey Judy, here's a suggestion for point....ASHLEE!!!! Why are they sleeping on her?
18. Ava is Kelli's pet project for this season. That's not a good thing. 
19. I was never a fan of Daphne, I've always thought she was forgettable along with Madeline M. and Taylor, but I totally feel bad for her. Why are you letting her do a solo and kicks when you know she's injured? That's a recipe for disaster.

That's it for now. My thoughts are that this year's rookie class are really talented from what I've seen so far. So far so good but I am always cautious about this show, especially after what happened last year. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 19

Just finished re-watching the snippets of Kelceys solo from last nights episode 1. It was a much sexier routine than she has been known for in her previous solos. In fact it was a very familiar routine...it actually appeared to be the very same sexy routine Amanda did in her finals solo of her rookie year in season 14. I wonder if the girls sometimes swap choreography?

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Agent Gully said:

The first show seemed so rushed and left so much out. I miss seeing a more drawn out discussion amongst the judges following the solos and kickline in deciding who should/should not make TC. I miss seeing the excitement when Kelli calls the numbers of those who have made it into training camp.

yes! After sleeping on it and thinking about it - i was rather under-whelmed on the first episode. none of the stuff we love was featured in terms of showing a selection of the auditions and the selection process.

i just felt this episode was a bit too much kelly/judy esp for ep1 whereas previously we used to get alot of girls talking. even last year they showed many more of the videos and a lil background of girls that had auditioned. 

it just feels it got too serious too quick. 

there's a reason a show goes on for 15 seasons - because it has a set format and process the fans like. America's got talent wouldnt simply skip over to the finals without showing other tryouts. 

also i dont know why they didnt just let daphne sit out for a week or two end of the day if she cant get up to speed then you can have just cut later on. it wasnt a decision that needed to made urgently as she knows the routines etc. 

Edited by mani
  • Love 9

Last observation for my reviewing of last night's episode 1.

1) There were no panel interviews. I suspect (hoping) we will see them in episode 2?

2) I miss Jay in the group of judges. I know he has not been featured much over the last several seasons but it appears he's totally gone now. I wonder if the addition of "Cowboy Fit" at the STAR in Frisco basically ended the need for his services. That would be a shame as he was as much a fixture as Phil. 

• Love 8
On 9/17/2021 at 9:42 PM, assylamaps said:

Okay I HATE that they used Thunderstuck instead of a new combo for judging the veterans vs rookies. It was at least a level playing field when they all learned a brand new combo. + Thunderstruck is a 3-4 minute routine. The 8 counts of 8 combo is only about max 2 minutes. I know they're looking for stamina, but it would be nice as a viewer to see them all on the same playing field.

I thought the exact same thing. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Wahoodancer said:

I thought the exact same thing. 

I seem to be in the minority on this, but I loved them doing the signature dance right off the bat! I doubt they did the entire routine, and this is the most important routine for them to showcase.

I assumed judges were very aware vets would have a leg up during this portion. They’re just looking for potential. Plus something new and different. 

Edited by evasworld123
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Ugh, Kat! Like I said before, she’s beautiful…that’s all. They tried to make a moment out of her bringing back the cane and isn’t that cute and clever? But I bet the reason they didn’t show anything else from her solo is because it wasn’t that good. You can tell from the few steps they showed that she’s not at the same skill level as everyone else including the rookie candidates. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
On 9/17/2021 at 9:12 PM, mani said:

i do miss the audition style opening episodes

they were good. used to build up some fantastic tension for the viewer

18 hours ago, MrsPriss said:

Totally agree with your takes here. I really enjoyed the change up in format, it gets to the meat of the season a lot quicker. Much more enjoyable to watch IMO.

Also- your user name is awesome! I read it in Kitty’s voice 😂

I love auditions episodes, but I also like the idea that the episodes this season are focusing in on the most talented dancers from the start. I mean, I loved the terrible dancers scenes etc., but I found it fun to watch a good bit of solos from the beginning. 

I also read @HitItHarder..BAM's user name in Kitty's voice, and I love it and get a kick out of it every time! 

Other episode thoughts:

From her first time on the screen, Ashlinn looked more beautiful and confident and her dancing seems next level from last year's training camp. There is something more relaxed and confident about her dancing that just adds something to her already gorgeous performance skills. Good for her! While I agree that diving into her deepest and most personal pain immediately is jarring, I am impressed with her courage and admire her for speaking up about domestic violence, whatever the context. Still needs to work on nailing her end pose, though. Get it, Ashlinn! 

I loved some of the TCC solos: Tyra, Amber, Rachel, and wow, Madeline S is all grown up! It was kind of lovely to see Tyra and Amber a little emotional after they each nailed their solos. Maybe it's just been that kind of year, I dunno! Solo clips of Jada, Chandi, Kelcey, Ashlee, Amber and Caroline all looked fantastic to me. Armani's costume showed off her figure in a whole new way that added some new "wow" to her performance. Aside from that one DCC in Motion of her they posted a while back that seemed kind of flat, I totally see why K & J and the judges gush over her. She is so fun to watch, just like MR said. Alora-Rose's solo looked great, but I'm still not really a fan of hers. Can't wait to see that previewed convo with Kelli about auditioning for the Rockettes! Wish we'd seen more of Dani, Ellie, and Jaylyn in this episode. Kat's kicks looked surprisingly beautiful.

Don't yet love: Presley, Ava, or Erin F. Presley is a beautiful dancer, but somehow I don't care for her look. Maybe she just needs a glam makeover. I also don't love Lea's look, but that girl can dance in such a way that I want to watch more. It may not be fair, but the main thing I hold against Ava from this episode is her mom. Ava is beautiful and her dancing is gorgeous. Mom just seemed like such a stage mom, where it seems sweet how much she cheers on her baby, but underneath it, it seems to me that her sense of self and happiness are invested in her daughter's successes and that she puts a lot of pressure on Ava to perform and achieve. I got a weird vibe from the little we saw of her waiting for Ava after the judges' showcase and her meeting with K & J. 

I like Klein and think she is strong, but I would like to see her (and Kaydianna!) calm down those competitive cheer and pageant performance-style facials and just smile. I also think Kleine is adorable but could use some makeover polish. Her curls could use some polish and I bet some makeup adjustments would take her from cute girl next door as she showed up in training camp to more of a knockout. I feel like I've seen pictures of her with darker hair and I thought she was more striking, but I may be imagining things?

And lastly: Poor Daphne. 😪

Edited by M1977G
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, ExtremeFajitas said:

A few thoughts:

I am tempted to change my screen name to Marshall’s Fan.

Ashlinn’s too-dark eyebrows and heavy lashes bugged me last season. I’m glad she softened her look.

Madeline S. is stunningly beautiful. I’m so glad she came back.

Kleine seemed like she was trying too hard. I hope she’s not Kat 2.0.

Ava’s demeanor seemed odd to me. “Is ‘best solo’ a good thing?” Come on, girl. 🙄

Oh, that's a big thing I couldn't put my finger on about Ashlinn's look! She just seemed overall softer and more glowy to me, but I wasn't sure why. Her shock blonde of her hair might be toned down a little, too. Some of her dancing in this episode was just wow.

Marshall's hair blowing in the breeze of that fan was awesome, and they edited that as a reaction shot perfectly. I'm here for your contemplated name change.

And yes, re: Ava! I said above her mom bugged me more than she did, but you just reminded me how faux she seemed in this moment. False modesty or dumb blonde, not sure which she was playing but neither is a good look to me. And it was weird, because she was almost hilariously forthright when saying to the cameras, maybe they want to talk to me because I practically fell over on the field. A weird shift to what then seemed like a cluelessly sweet front with Kelli and Judy.

Speaking of Judy, I thought she was hilarious talking about her dream about Kat's dance. And I kind of thought we didn't see more of Kat's dance because they didn't want to show too much of her booty in that Brazilian or thong leotard she appeared to be wearing. But yeah, that was some buildup to see almost nothing of Kat's solo.

Edited by M1977G
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Peanutflutter33 said:

Ugh, Kat! Like I said before, she’s beautiful…that’s all. They tried to make a moment out of her bringing back the cane and isn’t that cute and clever? But I bet the reason they didn’t show anything else from her solo is because it wasn’t that good. You can tell from the few steps they showed that she’s not at the same skill level as everyone else including the rookie candidates. 

1 hour ago, M1977G said:

Speaking of Judy, I thought she was hilarious talking about her dream about Kat's dance. And I kind of thought we didn't see more of Kat's dance because they didn't want to show too much of her booty in that Brazilian or thong leotard she appeared to be wearing. But yeah, that was some buildup to see almost nothing of Kat's solo.

Interesting thoughts about why Kat's solo wasn't shown.  I've never been a fan of Kat, so I rolled my eyes when the cane came out and wasn't upset when they didn't show her solo.  She grates...bad.

I reluctantly paid the $20 to iTunes for the season pass. Ten minutes into this episode, I was already having buyer's remorse.  Something just seems off about this season.  It seems they're trying really hard to make everything fresh and current when there's really no way to do it successfully.  I'll continue to watch since I paid for it, but I'm already bored.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

I reluctantly paid the $20 to iTunes for the season pass. Ten minutes into this episode, I was already having buyer's remorse.  Something just seems off about this season.  It seems they're trying really hard to make everything fresh and current when there's really no way to do it successfully.  I'll continue to watch since I paid for it, but I'm already bored.

I think there's a way to "return" the season/get a refund.  Ahhh. . . . found it! Go here -  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204084 - and follow the instructions. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

I don't get why they had her perform if even the rookies just "made it" to training camp.  I'm pretty sure they had cassie only do part things, reduced duties and had a retired girl fill her spot due to her surgery.  Not certain why this is any different.  

Because Daphne isn't Judy's daughter obviously... Danielle wasn't granted the same grace as Cassie was either...

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

Sob stories...please stop.  

Dance...more please.

Kat is so thirsty and Kelli is quenching it. 

Ava not knowing what "best solo" means...please stop.

Daphne should not be trying out.  It makes me sad.  Stuff happens (looking at you Covid hell) and you need to understand and accept your fate.  Beyond not being able to kick and dance, she has put on weight and guarantee she won't be able to fit into her uniform.  

Don't mind the new format, but as always, I want more dance and process.  More solos (or links on CMT or DCC page to watch all 51).  

It is so 2021 to have a kick line and not link up and then show all the ladies hugging, standing together, chatting with each other but then have social distancing on the kick line😂.  Just like real life.

• LOL 4
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

Yeah I bought just the episode and I was pretty bored. I probably won't buy the rest, unless y'all start pointing out good things about it.

• Love 2

I love the new format for online auditions and think they should keep it.  The twin and knitting auditions were quite amazing!  I’d rather see these types of examples/comments as opposed to the usual sneers about why would an untalented person even tryout. 

I would have preferred to have seen more of the judges deliberations and or comments as they have such different points of interest from the CKJ triad.

Although I do enjoy the TCC camera interviews as well as interactions with Phil, and the TCC interactions with each other (like Ava introducing herself to Daphne on the way to the office) I’d rather not see the TCC waiting outside in a line and talk about how excited/nervous they are to audition or, walking to or from the parking lot and through the building and commenting about how pretty Kelli and Judy are as that’s just wasted material to me.  I’d rather see that wasted time dedicated to the TCC actual performances.   

I see based on the posts that a number of people put looks as a top priority of selection but for me looks aren’t important in regards to making the team as beauty is in the eye of beholder. They’re all pretty in different ways and I prefer a variety of ages and looks.   I look for charm and personality in addition to the performance. 

Stand out rookies for me were Kleine, I thought she was absolutely adorable and I liked Pressley as well.   Ava lost some points due to stamina issue. Tori, Ashlinn, 

I believe the Maddie retirement discussion between Judy and Melissa was scripted for a Judy moment to talk about possible points.

The Kat solo portion was awkward since they didn’t show it in its entirety. The other veteran solo clips shown were awesome. Unfortunately, for Daphne since the cheerleaders are contract workers, they have to beat out the rookies for their jobs each year and not automatically get a “pass” just because they were on the team before, but I sincerely hope she recovers fully from her injury.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the 2020 rookie class perform in a field setting. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Peanutflutter33 said:

i wouldnt be surprised if she's cut from the vets. though after the massacre of the vets last year they' may calm down with vet cuts this year

• Love 1

I actually liked the Maddie retirement segment.....I just wish they'd extend the same grace to the other vets who retired this year.   Amy was a 5-year vet as well.... it seems a little disrespectful to only focus on one. 

• Love 6
On 9/18/2021 at 12:19 AM, Trulyadorkable said:

7) Sad to see Daphne's dilemma. She didn't look good tonight at all in dance or physique compared to her previous seasons. I know it's all about the injury and I too applaud her devotion and commitment but she needs time to properly and fully heal. 

If Cassie made it injured Daphne should too.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, M1977G said:

Speaking of Judy, I thought she was hilarious talking about her dream about Kat's dance. And I kind of thought we didn't see more of Kat's dance because they didn't want to show too much of her booty in that Brazilian or thong leotard she appeared to be wearing. But yeah, that was some buildup to see almost nothing of Kat's solo.

Interesting. Poor gymnast Kat was criticized for the cutouts on her dress. I thought current Kat’s thong was way more inappropriate. 

• Love 19
8 hours ago, LynneH said:

I believe the Maddie retirement discussion between Judy and Melissa was scripted for a Judy moment to talk about possible points.

I agree! And as annoying as it was to hear the obviously scripted conversation and over-adoration of Maddie (she's a great dancer, but c'mon, there's so many great dancers on the current team too!), I was glad that we got to hear from Judy their contender's for point. I wasn't surprised they mentioned Rachel, Caroline, Amber, and Gina. I was a little surprised they didn't mention either Lexie or Ashlee. 

Edited by pancakes
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Peanutflutter33 said:

Interesting. Poor gymnast Kat was criticized for the cutouts on her dress. I thought current Kat’s thong was way more inappropriate. 

YES!!!  I'm no prude, but come on.  Kat's whole costume was beyond cringe-worthy.  I can go back and watch so many clips of candidates being called out for slutty outfits or routines, but Kat's bare ass gets a pass because she's K&J's own little Beyonce?  Just no.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Peanutflutter33 said:

Oh my gosh I had this same exact thought. I legitimately had to rewind a couple of times in absolute shock lol

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Teriyaki Terror said:

Danielle's wasn't even that bad. It was a deep wound that needed to heal, not a torn ligament or broken bone. 

Right but she was almost cut bc she couldn't perform the way she normally would have during auditions...