Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E17: Semi-Finals 2

• Start Topic

1AChord or however the hell they spell it...I guess I wasn't paying attention because I don't know what Heidi is so worked up about.

I liked Unicircle Flow and I hate to agree with Sofia but I agree the different costumes were cool because you could see better what they're doing without the long skirts.

Quick Change: Meh. At least I disagree with the judges so the world is back in balance.

Comedian: Still liked him better the first time. But I still disagree with buzzing people at this point. If it's up to America to vote then let America see the whole act and don't interrupt.

Nurse Choir: Thank you for your service but ugh no more choirs plz. Ugh and they had to do a song I love, too. Not loving it as a choir arrangement, sorry.

"I didn't like it..." audience: 😲 "...I loved it!" Wow, so original, Simon. 

Psychic: I am so over watching Sofia get all confused and whiny over shit. And again I lost all track of what he was doing because it went on for so long.

Heidi looks like she's in an 80s hair band tonight.

Opera child: Does every opera singer on a talent show have to do that song? And why do the judges insist on acting like they've never seen anything like it before? Jackie Evancho was only a year older when she was on this show and she was a better performer.

ChapKidz: Eh. Too many people and too much light bouncing all over the place. Does it look that bad in real life or is it just on TV?

Rialcris: All these kinds of acts get repetitive. At least they're nice to look at.

Did Howie say something about STDs? What?

Josh Blue: He's been better (but still better than the other guy tonight). His kids were cute. (I wonder how he feels about being called "inspirational"...)

Brooke: Um, I was half listening from the other room with the blender running. ...milkshake, anyone? 

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

(I wonder how he feels about being called "inspirational"...)

Although Sofia was trying to pay him a compliment, I cringed with each thing she verbally applauded him for:  "You are an inspiration.  Your condition hasn't stopped you from living your best life.  (WTF on that one!) And, "You play soccer; you have kids; a career."  I don't have a disability so I can't speak to that, but I'm willing to bet that those are all of the wrong things to say to someone who has a "condition."  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ChitChat said:

Although Sofia was trying to pay him a compliment, I cringed with each thing she verbally applauded him for:  "You are an inspiration.  Your condition hasn't stopped you from living your best life.  (WTF on that one!) And, "You play soccer; you have kids; a career."  I don't have a disability so I can't speak to that, but I'm willing to bet that those are all of the wrong things to say to someone who has a "condition."  

Seriously. I'm surprised she didn't say "good for you!" 

• Love 2

Singers: That’s a song about stalking your ex. 

Quick change: She had a misfire early on but recovered well. I like her. 

Unicycles: Fantastic performance.

Nurse choir: There’s a pandemic. Shouldn’t they be taking care of patients?

Indian comic: He was off, but Simon was stupid to say the buzzer was meant to help him.

Mentalist: Apparently the assistant in the balcony reading the card through a zoom lens and relaying the info to his earpiece couldn’t get a clear look at Sophia’s card. Total fail. Just took her photo and destroyed it. And oooh, he knows the first initial of the boyfriend of a huge celebrity! Does he read People Magazine?

Li’l opera singer: Seems nice but I don’t know opera. Very nice little girl. 

Track suit dancers: Eh, another dance group.

Strong guys: I could do all that. I just don’t want to. It does get repetitive so I can understand Simon’s buzzer.

Josh Blue: Very funny as usual. As a professional should be. Sophia saying he is inspirational actually is the kind of pity he makes fun of.

Last singer: Good. Could see her being successful. 

Howie looked like some kind of evil lieutenant with those collar bars. 

• Love 5

What song was it?

"Every Breath you Take", by the Police.  Kind of topical, because it was referenced in this week's Only Murders in the Building.

They gave it a slower, emphasize-each-note, take, and although YMMV, I think tried to make it sound more like a conventional love song.

I was a little surprised they didn't call out the quick-change misfire (she had one last week as well; in both cases she covered very professionally, but they call other acts out on that.)  That said, I hope she goes through; I enjoy the mix of fashion, quick-change, and stage magic. 

Maybe the psychic would have had more luck if he adopted two kids, and then discussed it like he was trying to signal someone about what really happens at CrossFit. 

I liked Josh Blue again.  I especially liked the fake-out about "stop clapping..." and then later calling out the audience for not clapping.  It's a little mean, but a lot funny.

• Love 5

I don't care how nice the little girl is, she butchered Nessun Dorma. Thin and reedy and screechy.  It's a male singer's song, in the first place, and takes a powerful voice. Very poor song choice in my opinion. Honestly, with these little kid opera singers it's like a dog dancing on its hind legs -- only interesting because it rarely happens. As an opera fan, I am never impressed. 

This is how it should be sung: Jussi Bjorling sings Nessun Dorma

• Love 6

This is how I rated the performances last night.

11.  Indian comedian - He was slow in his deliveries.  Almost seemed like he kind of forgot what was coming next. The most important part of a comedian is humor.  He wasn't funny.

10.  Nurse choir - This choir has overstayed their welcome on AGT. They are a choir and no one is going to pay to see what looks like a high school performance on parent/teacher night.

9.  Mentalist - Maybe the mistake was tied into the length of this act, but it just took too long.  I like these type of acts but not tonight.  What makes it worse is that confused look Sophia had.

8.  Victory - Someone commented last night on Facebook that you don't have to know anything about opera to appreciate Victory's performance.  Yes the heck you do!  How do I know she isn't singing out of tune?  Anyhow, I didn't like it at all.  Kid opera singers I judge them according to the Jackie Evancho Rule, and she failed!

7.  1AChord - There are certain songs that you never, never, ever, ever....ever, ever, ever, change the arrangement.  I couldn't tell what song it was if I had just walked in the room.

6.  Quick change - I didn't see the mistake but everything was a bit slow.  I actually thought Simon was going to say something about it.  Her audition was fast and moved along nicely.

5.  Chapkidz - I really don't like dance teams because I've seen everything I could possibly have seen on tv.  They were good but nothing about them was awesome.

4.  Rialcris - I placed this act at 4 because I can't even think of doing what they do.  I agree with Simon this act was boring.

3.  Josh Blue - probably should go a little lower but there were some funny jokes from him, especially about the audience clapping.  

2.  Brooke Simpson - She is a good singer and probably did enough to put her through the finals.

1.  Unicycles - I skipped several lines down because that is how much I thought Unicycles was better that the rest.  This act is made for  Las Vegas!    

*****   I'm starting a "Can Sopia be replaced" movement.  I think she has jumped the shark already!

Edited by rr2911
  • Love 5

I hope Brooke Simpson makes it to the finale at least. I'd like her to win, but I don't want to get my hopes up even though singers so often win this show. I love her voice! Great song choices, outfits, stage presence, etc. Plus she’s from my state (NC)! It’s not always I like the people from NC that end up on these shows, but she’s a good one.

• Love 2

I'm not even interested enough to make a full list. For whatever reason, I liked last week better. 

Mentalist, who I like, went on too long and screwed something up. Quick change made a mistake but was pretty good. I didn't pay attention to bendy guys, so I was jarred when they were buzzed. Indian comic was embarrassing, and other comic was glaringly better. I fast forwarded the first singers, I hate that emotional style and their fake humility. 

It's Brooke Simpson's contest to lose. The rest of the top 5 could be any of them except for the first comedian. 

• Love 1

I don't care how nice the little girl is, she butchered Nessun Dorma

Lately, whenever I hear this song, I think of the Carol Burnett Show spoof of Sunset Bvld.  I can almost hear Harvey Korman slapping someone for not appreciating greatness when it's right in front of them.

I'd forgotten her name (that's me, not her) but Brooke Simpson could win the whole thing if we're not burned out on singers.  I could see Josh Blue hosting an ensemble show even if he doesn't win (and it's tough for a comedian to win, but good luck, sir.)

• Love 2
6 hours ago, LucidDreamer said:

I don't care how nice the little girl is, she butchered Nessun Dorma. Thin and reedy and screechy.  It's a male singer's song, in the first place, and takes a powerful voice. Very poor song choice in my opinion. Honestly, with these little kid opera singers it's like a dog dancing on its hind legs -- only interesting because it rarely happens. As an opera fan, I am never impressed. 

This is how it should be sung: Jussi Bjorling sings Nessun Dorma

I'm not a big opera fan, but I went and listened to this, and you're right. There's a richness in tone that Victory doesn't have. 

As an aside, I listened to Pavarotti singing the same thing and I like Bjorling's more. 

• Love 1

The three guy singers were on first so I used that time to take the garbage to the curb and let dogs out.

Unicircle -- LOVE them.

Counting this week: Howie saying Only Five Are Going Through. Interesting Simon told him to shut up about it already.

Dress Girl -- I love her. It's such a fun act.

Kabir the Comic -- FU Simon.

Nurse Choir -- Can they only sing about helping and hope? Why don't they "Step It Up" and sing some hard rock or something.

Peter Peter Mind Reader -- I totally did not get his act but I like him and felt sorry for him.

Opera Girl -- Why is it the balancing act has to "Step It Up" but Opera Girl just sings opera every week. Why not have HER change her song or switch to hip hop or blues or jazz. I mean really. What's good for the goose should also be good for Opera Girl.

Red Dance Group -- All I could think was this looked like my last Jazzercise class with a couple flips tossed in at the end. Yet Simon says this was their "best performance ever." WTH Simon.

Balance Brothers -- Stop with all the shooting fire flames behind them, I can't see anything, I'm being blinded by the light. But still, I love these guys and can watch them all day. Someone: Please disable Simon's red X, he's becoming even more intolerable with his jackassery.

Simon says about the Balance Brothers, "We've seen the same act, no improvement, so no way you can win" yet Opera Girl sings opera every week and she's gong to win this whole thing? WTH. I hate you Simon.

Josh Blue -- He made the greatest entrance, then he made me LOL hard several times, not an easy task. I think it's called belly laughs. He gave them to me. I really like this guy as much as I did when I voted for him to win Last Comic.

Brooke singer -- I think she's a good singer but I was stunned to see she was singing my favorite song, Bad Habits. I only knew because the song's name lit up in big lights behind her so I tried to listen to the words. And, sure enough, she was totally singing Ed Sheeran's words in some way so I couldn't recognize the song at all. That led me to the quandary, do I like her because she's a good singer or do I hate her because she murdered my favorite song. I'll just say, let her sing opera next time.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

I am certain that Unicycle Flow's act just does not translate as well on TV.  It must be stunning to see in person.  I thought this the last time and it was reinforced for me tonight: On certain maneuvers, they resemble witches on broomsticks flying off.  It's fantastic.  Just as I was thinking they are hurt by a lack of gymnastics and massive jumps, I saw the stunt where three riders held up a castmate who was posing very much like we see all the time in cheerleading.  Super well done and a nice add to the act.  Lord knows we must keep it fresh.  Right, Simon?

Mentalist is toast.  I felt for Sofia as she knew she would be blamed by many viewers.  She also knew Simon and/or Howie would rag on her.  Sure enough, Howie was a jerk.  I've rarely seen Simon be as real about a miscue as he was in his aside right at the end of the segment.  It wasn't meant to be mean or controversial.  He just didn't get how that part was blown so badly while the rest of it worked so well.  

Victory will not know such.  Not this season.

Cirque du Muscles does nothing for me.  Nothing against their obvious ability.

Can we please be inoculated against future outbreaks of woke choirs hoping to go viral?

Both comedians were awful.  The only laugh I got was the "disabled list" and even in that moment, I was shocked at how poorly he paid it off.  To quote Spanish-language soccer announcers:  "Pee-NALL  Pee-NALL  PeeNAAAAAALLLLLLL!"  Hey, did I just make a funny? 

The not-Dunkin Save is gonna be brutal tonight.  The various voting blocs are gonna create a couple of mystery placements, just as in the first Semi.  I'm done with this season if the unicyclists are among them, or worse. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Superclam said:

I know I was up last night wondering. 🤪

I like her more than Gabrielle or blonde dancer lady, but if we're going to have scatterbrain, I prefer Mel B. 

Oh I agree with you about Gabrielle.  I like Sophia more.  Mel B I just....ugh....uhhhh a big NO!  😂

4 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm not even interested enough to make a full list. For whatever reason, I liked last week better. 

Mentalist, who I like, went on too long and screwed something up. Quick change made a mistake but was pretty good.

When did she make her mistake?

20 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

When did she make her mistake?

One of her dresses was supposed to fly away and got half stuck on. Near the beginning IIRC. I don't think it'll hurt her. The mentalist's goof-up will be more damaging. 

30 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

Oh I agree with you about Gabrielle.  I like Sophia more.  Mel B I just....ugh....uhhhh a big NO!  😂

Lol, I know I'm in a small group of Mel B fans! 

7 minutes ago, yankeefan said:

What was up with Terry's suit. I watched the show on my phone and the most of the suit looked orange, but parts looked grayish green.  Was it just me?

Yeah, it was orange; I don't know if it's just the way the light hits it that makes it look like it changes color? It looks like a shiny material.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, yankeefan said:

What was up with Terry's suit. I watched the show on my phone and the most of the suit looked orange, but parts looked grayish green.  Was it just me?

It was certainly a 'crazy" suit: it was bright orange but then turned "ombre" where it bled into a grayish look, I guess it was 'trendy", but some of his suits are wild! :)

• Love 1