Type keyword(s) to search

The Winchesters Anticipation

• Start Topic

I'm not sure why they are presenting it as being solely related to The Winchesters. At the 2016 Toronto con, I purchased a keychain of a die cast anti-possession symbol in the merch room that was early access for Gold tickets. I went back to buy another one on Saturday and the vendor told me they had to remove them from the sale due to copyright issues (informed by Creation), because they were unlicensed. This has always been the case, whether or not they chose to enforce it. Too bad they are framing it this way - it just gives the haters and butthurt JP stans one more unreasonable way to hate on a show they haven't seen.

• Sad 2
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I'm not sure why they are presenting it as being solely related to The Winchesters. At the 2016 Toronto con, I purchased a keychain of a die cast anti-possession symbol in the merch room that was early access for Gold tickets. I went back to buy another one on Saturday and the vendor told me they had to remove them from the sale due to copyright issues (informed by Creation), because they were unlicensed. This has always been the case, whether or not they chose to enforce it. Too bad they are framing it this way - it just gives the haters and butthurt JP stans one more unreasonable way to hate on a show they haven't seen.

Why would Jared fans be any more upset than anyone else? I feel bad for the vendors that were already packed for next weekend convention in Denver. I don't get why the WB would care if there was a little "free" promotion for The Winchesters by selling merchandise (does this include money received for funding charities?) with Supernatural related logo's or items related to the show. They also mentioned that images of the Impala was off limits (and for some reason the amulet). Including photo ops with the "car" and the J's on the hotel grounds. It's not like these people are scamming millions off of these conventions. I just thought it was an odd thing to do with the prequel airing just a few weeks away.

1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

Why would Jared fans be any more upset than anyone else? 

Because it seems like they are eager to find any reason to hate the prequel and to keep saying horrible things about Jensen.

• Sad 2

Bridget Regan is a good get for this show.

Is the WB camping down on other unofficial merchandise for other properties? I feel like SPN has often had more leeway than some others, a friend bought a hoodie with Sam and Dean fanart on it once but very clearly J2. Then again it surprises me what for profit fan artists can get away with in general. But it is "free" promotion for the show, unless they're planning a lot of official stuff down the pipe. 

On 9/3/2022 at 10:29 AM, Nick24 said:

Because it seems like they are eager to find any reason to hate the prequel and to keep saying horrible things about Jensen.

Okay but so what? Jared fans hate the prequel, Jensen/Destiel fans hate Walker, everyone hates GK. It's all fandom wars BS. I was mostly commenting on the fact that conventions won't be allowed to sell a majority of SPN related collectables (I'm assuming that includes any original SPN art or posters with banned words or images). For almost the entire run of SPN the series was carried by word of mouth fandom. Why discourage any portion of fans who would gladly support any project that the main stars are part of by banning anything that might suggest a connection to the prequel?  I don't get it.

Like I said no one is getting rich off of these sales. And it isn't like the vendors are selling anti prequel merchandise.  Unless Chaos is going to offer their own line of prequel apparel and collectibles it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Okay but so what? Jared fans hate the prequel, Jensen/Destiel fans hate Walker, everyone hates GK. It's all fandom wars BS. I was mostly commenting on the fact that conventions won't be allowed to sell a majority of SPN related collectables (I'm assuming that includes any original SPN art or posters with banned words or images). For almost the entire run of SPN the series was carried by word of mouth fandom. Why discourage any portion of fans who would gladly support any project that the main stars are part of by banning anything that might suggest a connection to the prequel?  I don't get it.

Like I said no one is getting rich off of these sales. And it isn't like the vendors are selling anti prequel merchandise.  Unless Chaos is going to offer their own line of prequel apparel and collectibles it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I don’t think Jensen-fans hate Walker. Not watching and never posting about it really isn’t hate. There are tons of shows I never watch or post about. 

What is GK?

As for the merchandise, this is obviously something the studio decided. I wish they didn't frame it like this to potentially harm the show but studios have done crazy copyright stuff before. For all we know that is going to be a new hardliner course done under Zaslav and will effect lots of projects. The guy has been stomping things left and right since he took over as CEO, including pretty much half of the CW.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Okay but so what? Jared fans hate the prequel, Jensen/Destiel fans hate Walker, everyone hates GK.

I'm a Jensen fan and I don't hate Walker, because I don't watch it. IMO if you (general you) have never watched the show, you can't hate it. 

If you (general you) are not interested in the upcoming projects, there is no need to trash them. But this is exactly what some of JP fans have been doing for a long time. I just don't get that. 

Nor do I hate GK (Gotham Knights?) for that matter.

2 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

I don’t think Jensen-fans hate Walker. Not watching and never posting about it really isn’t hate. There are tons of shows I never watch or post about. 

Exactly!

Edited by Nick24
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2022 at 2:12 PM, Casseiopeia said:

The "so what" is that nearly all the "hate" and blaming it on Jensen and the new show is coming from JP stans.  Most of the other fans and Vendors realize this is a pretty regular thing with Creation and in fact the initial tweet which brought it to light presented it as an issue in dealing with CREATION, not the WB, not CM, etc.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

The "so what" is that nearly all the "hate" and blaming it on Jensen and the new show is coming from JP stans.  Most of the other fans and Vendors realize this is a pretty regular thing with Creation and in fact the initial tweet which brought it to light presented it as an issue in dealing with CREATION, not the WB, not CM, etc.  

So far  I'm mostly seeing concern in the comment section from many fans about the seeming retcon of John and Mary. Which is one of my many concerns about this series. Not really any bashing or why isn't Sam there comments.  And really it is generating a lot of discussion on FB, Twitter and the CW website. Which isn't a bad thing. This is going to be a huge show with probably the best ratings the CW has had for a premiere in years. I'm not worried about it's success. Love or hate the premise everyone is going to watch it.

And I'm not talking about anyone here bashing Walker or review bombing the show. But it does happen and it's not affective. It won't be with The Winchesters either.

But that aside the WB banned all merchandise that would specifically  pertain to the prequel. To me...speaking only for myself that seemed like an odd move. Why ban all mention of an upcoming show that is  aimed at an audience gathered at a convention for the original show you are making a spinoff of? I get that Jensen can still promote the show in the panels but why not let the vendors do the same?  The announcement I saw was that the WB will be sending reps to monitor vendors merchandise. Doesn't seem like Creation is doing this. It seems like it is the studio.

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Sad 1
54 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

So far  I'm mostly seeing concern in the comment section from many fans about the seeming retcon of John and Mary. Which is one of my many concerns about this series. Not really any bashing or why isn't Sam there comments.  And really it is generating a lot of discussion on FB, Twitter and the CW website. Which isn't a bad thing. This is going to be a huge show with probably the best ratings the CW has had for a premiere in years. I'm not worried about it's success. Love or hate the premise everyone is going to watch it.

And I'm not talking about anyone here bashing Walker or review bombing the show. But it does happen and it's not affective. It won't be with The Winchesters either.

I’m sorry but The Winchesters is a dead show walking. There has been such a monumental shift to the landscape the last two months that I don’t see how this show survives. Everything Jensen and Robbie did to get this picked up and would have kept it on the air for years under the old CW is now working against it. 

Nexstar says it’s demo is 58 year olds and that is their target audience. They are aiming for lots of non scripted content and are going to reevaluate all the scripted shows at the end of the season. Pedowitz is probably in a transition role and will get replaced during the reevaluation period. Then there’s Zaslav...if he can’t make money off the show, it’s gone. He has been ruthless where money is concerned. Odds are he won’t ship it to hbomax with the current restructuring. Then there’s the best bet...Netflix, but they have their own problems. Netflix would probably rather use the money to keep the mothership.

Not to say the show won’t be good but it has everything working against it now. The ironic thing about all of this is how mad Jared was over Jensen doing an SPN show when now it looks like the Walker shows may be the last ones standing.

The announcement I saw was that the WB will be sending reps to monitor vendors merchandise. Doesn't seem like Creation is doing this. It seems like it is the studio.

My only thought, it could be copyright protection.  It's why Disney would go after anyone that did something that looked like their cartoons, such as taking an art teacher to court for having her students drawing Dalmatians.  There is something in writing that if you don't protect the copyright you can lose it...So that may be a reason.  In time they may lighten up.

17 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

Nexstar says it’s demo is 58 year olds and that is their target audience. They are aiming for lots of non scripted content and are going to reevaluate all the scripted shows at the end of the season. Pedowitz is probably in a transition role and will get replaced during the reevaluation period. Then there’s Zaslav...if he can’t make money off the show, it’s gone.

The non scripted is because it is cheap to make.  How many will watch don't know.

People are changing how they watch TV, period.  So if the show makes money, it stays.  By making the show in a way that it can gain new audience members and not just the old fans, it's a smart move.  Supernatural survived when it should have been cancelled so many times.  So I know that Jensen is well aware of what can happen. 

The takeover means that nothing is safe unless it becomes something that attracts viewers.

There is very little that I watched on CW.  I no longer have cable and as inflation increases, many will have to become picky with how they spend their hard-earned dollars.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

Not to say the show won’t be good but it has everything working against it now. The ironic thing about all of this is how mad Jared was over Jensen doing an SPN show when now it looks like the Walker shows may be the last ones standing.

I don't doubt that there will be mass cancellations coming up.  I was just curious (nothing against the show) why you think Walker might be left standing?  Its demographics don't really match the new plan, and its ratings are sub-basement (and seem to be getting lower.)  Or were you just being ironic?  

But that aside the WB specifically banned all merchandise that would specifically  pertain to the prequel. To me...speaking only for myself that seemed like an odd move. Why ban all mention of an upcoming show that is specifically aimed at an audience gathered at a convention for the original show you are making a spinoff of? I get that Jensen can still promote the show in the panels but why not let the vendors do the same?  The announcement I saw was that the WB will be sending reps to monitor vendors merchandise. Doesn't seem like Creation is doing this. It seems like it is the studio.

Sounds like they're getting picky about licensing.  Maybe they want to have only their own goods sold, or maybe they feel they've been cheated out of royalties by fan art and non-licensed items sold by outside vendors.  TPTB could have stopped fanfic at any time by citing copyright infringement, but it's never been a moneymaking proposition.  Vendor sales are.  (Pictures of an Impala--not specifically Baby--shouldn't be covered by copyright, because they exist outside of the SPN world, but Winchesters don't.)  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lastcall said:

I’m sorry but The Winchesters is a dead show walking. There has been such a monumental shift to the landscape the last two months that I don’t see how this show survives. Everything Jensen and Robbie did to get this picked up and would have kept it on the air for years under the old CW is now working against it. 

Nexstar says it’s demo is 58 year olds and that is their target audience. They are aiming for lots of non scripted content and are going to reevaluate all the scripted shows at the end of the season. Pedowitz is probably in a transition role and will get replaced during the reevaluation period. Then there’s Zaslav...if he can’t make money off the show, it’s gone. He has been ruthless where money is concerned. Odds are he won’t ship it to hbomax with the current restructuring. Then there’s the best bet...Netflix, but they have their own problems. Netflix would probably rather use the money to keep the mothership.

While it's true that the CW is in a major upheaval and Warner is still also so it's doubtful any scripted shows will survive and Walker does apparently have the oldest demo of any CW show and looks more in line with Nexstsr brand, no outlet wants an old demo. None. All would be happy to trade in for younger viewers if only they could. 

The CW also has a much older demo in general thsn the teens everyone is thinking about. Because while I'm more out of touch on what is in with teens today, even I know the CW shows storytelling is perma-stuck in the last decade.

How will the Winchesters fare? I don’t know. I've been surprised her  and there in the past with what shows connect and what don’t. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Lastcall said:

The Winchesters will probably end up on HBOMax. Walker is already airing reruns there. I think most of the current CW programming will end up there as well.

Nextstar named Supernatural as an example of the age demo they are aiming for. While TW seems to be aiming for a much younger audience I think eventually the appeal will be the same 39-54 demo as SPN. 

Edited by Casseiopeia
10 hours ago, ahrtee said:

I don't doubt that there will be mass cancellations coming up.  I was just curious (nothing against the show) why you think Walker might be left standing?  Its demographics don't really match the new plan, and its ratings are sub-basement (and seem to be getting lower.)  Or were you just being ironic?  

Walker has the most viewers (close to a million), is a western cop show and the old show had a reputation for catering to an older audience. The prequel is a full western so both shows seem more geared to the audience Nexstar wants (with maybe All American for the sports angle). 

Jensen and Robbie were very smart and did everything right to get this show on air. Carlos is all ready a twitter favorite with less than a minute of trailer time. It would have done great on the old CW but now it will be extremely difficult to survive the new regime. All the shows under the old model (charmed, legacies, the arrowverse, Roswell) are gone. The show has to be profitable in today’s environment when streamers are cutting costs and getting rid of low performing content. On top of that you have Jared/Sam Stan’s and John/Mary haters nipping at the shows heels. Having Pedowitzs favor doesn’t matter anymore since he couldn’t save anything from last seasons purge.

Saddest of all of this is if Dabb hadn’t chased twitter and run off the old fans SPN would have fit right in with Nexstars current plans. Supernatural could have made it 20 seasons easy.

If only this series could be on a streaming platform and not the CW.   It’s odd that shows filled with pretty shining people are aimed at a much older demo.  

I’ll watch to support Jensen and I wish him success.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

Walker has the most viewers (close to a million), is a western cop show and the old show had a reputation for catering to an older audience. The prequel is a full western so both shows seem more geared to the audience Nexstar wants (with maybe All American for the sports angle). 

Jensen and Robbie were very smart and did everything right to get this show on air. Carlos is all ready a twitter favorite with less than a minute of trailer time. It would have done great on the old CW but now it will be extremely difficult to survive the new regime. All the shows under the old model (charmed, legacies, the arrowverse, Roswell) are gone. The show has to be profitable in today’s environment when streamers are cutting costs and getting rid of low performing content. On top of that you have Jared/Sam Stan’s and John/Mary haters nipping at the shows heels. Having Pedowitzs favor doesn’t matter anymore since he couldn’t save anything from last seasons purge.

Saddest of all of this is if Dabb hadn’t chased twitter and run off the old fans SPN would have fit right in with Nexstars current plans. Supernatural could have made it 20 seasons easy.

I don`t think new Walker appeals to old Walker fans because it doesn`t have the martial arts aspect at all. I mean, noone watched to see Chuck Norris act. Current Walker seems to work on the soapish family drama aspect. Which is probably in line with Nexstar.

Don`t know yet if the Winchesters can have a SPN-like appeal. The trailer looks more young-ish focused and of course the characters are young but the same was more or less true of SPN when it started. It could still have a "mid-Western" appeal in the same way. It being set in the 60s? already gives it a bit of nostalgic flair.     

• Useful 1
51 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Don`t know yet if the Winchesters can have a SPN-like appeal. The trailer looks more young-ish focused and of course the characters are young but the same was more or less true of SPN when it started. It could still have a "mid-Western" appeal in the same way. It being set in the 60s? already gives it a bit of nostalgic flair.   

This is probably what could appeal to the older viewers. Young marine coming back from Vietnam, disillusioned, working class, uncertain future, all set in the 70s (their nostalgic time). They might be able to relate or understand, even if the the actors are actually Gen Z (for the younger crowd).

Edited by MAK
Word change
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

But that aside the WB banned all merchandise that would specifically  pertain to the prequel. To me...speaking only for myself that seemed like an odd move. Why ban all mention of an upcoming show that is  aimed at an audience gathered at a convention for the original show you are making a spinoff of? I get that Jensen can still promote the show in the panels but why not let the vendors do the same?  The announcement I saw was that the WB will be sending reps to monitor vendors merchandise. Doesn't seem like Creation is doing this. It seems like it is the studio.

It's always "the studio", people haven't been able to sell "Supernatural" merchandise at Creation Cons since 2017 without a license. The "Studio" does a walk through every year, that's why this notice went out when it did, because it's time for their walk through.  it was going to be at San Francisco but that was cancelled.

This is literally the SAME thing.  What is Creation's doing is how they go about it, as the original person who tweeted it mentioned.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

It's always "the studio", people haven't been able to sell "Supernatural" merchandise at Creation Cons since 2017 without a license. The "Studio" does a walk through every year, that's why this notice went out when it did, because it's time for their walk through.  it was going to be at San Francisco but that was cancelled.

This is literally the SAME thing.  What is Creation's doing is how they go about it, as the original person who tweeted it mentioned.

So Creation blames the studio every year? Why would Creation then only ban merchandise with Winchesters, The Winchesters and Winchester Bros along with the Impala and the amulet? Those were the only items mentioned. Everything else SPN related is okay apparently.

So Creation blames the studio every year? Why would Creation then only ban merchandise with Winchesters, The Winchesters and Winchester Bros along with the Impala and the amulet? Those were the only items mentioned. Everything else SPN related is okay apparently.

Perhaps you didn't read all of my post above. They stopped the sale of a key chain replica of the anti-possession symbol in 2016.

Any copyright has to be defended. I'm not sure why someone decided to lay this at the feet of The Winchesters (though I have a pretty good guess), but the fact is, any merchandise that infringes on their copyrights/trademarks is fair game. Anyone producing these things takes that risk. This 'outrage' that maybe they are being called on it now is ridiculous.

It's akin to montage/edit makers using copyrighted footage of the show, or music tracks, and then crying if/when they are shut down (on Youtube). It happened to me (because of the music) and I hated it, but knew it was a possibility. What I didn't do was go and bitch at the musician who enforced their rights.

On a happier note, that key-art is awesome. So much better than the poorly done recycled photoshop jobs we got the last few years of SPN.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

It isn't only banning merchandise with the Winchesters, it's ALREADY banned merchandise previously, since at least 2017(2016 apparently for the key chains with the anti-possession tattoo replica) with things OTHER than the Winchesters, including "Supernatural" merchandise.  Creation probably decided to do this now to cover their own asses for when the studio does it's yearly or bi-yearly walk through at the next con.

And yeah the so-called fans making a big deal about are people who are looking to blame the new show and Jensen in particular for anything they can, even when it's just standard operating procedure.

This is not unusual for Creation, which was entirely the point of the vendor who originally tweeted out the message.  They in no way blamed the studio, they specifically talked about dealing with Creation and how Creation handles things.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

It isn't only banning merchandise with the Winchesters, it's ALREADY banned merchandise previously, since at least 2017(2016 apparently for the key chains with the anti-possession tattoo replica) with things OTHER than the Winchesters, including "Supernatural" merchandise. 

And as an aside, the vendor who had been selling these keychains gave me their card and website so that I could purchase them outside of Creation's hallowed merch room. It was Creation drawing the line, no doubt covering their asses with the studio, as you pointed out.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

I'm sure the poster was already done before Jensen did this a week and a half ago.

It definitely was but it's still a cute coincidence (or semi deliberate foreshadowing). 

I just like that art so much better than the previous ones. It's striking and different than the general CW stuff has been the last few years but also reminiscent in a good way of American Horror Story. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

I'm sure the poster was already done before Jensen did this a week and a half ago.

Just because Jensen did this at a con a week or so ago doesn't mean it was unknown before that.  He's the EP.  I'm pretty sure he has some say in posters, so might have decided it was a nice nod to Zep (or the artist thought it fit the space better.)  And maybe he decided to show it at the con to "explain" (or foreshadow, as @Featherhat said above.)  Just sayin'.  😊

• Love 3

Talking about the JP stans and their negative posts here. I had no idea how much was going on since I'm not on social media platforms. But I've just come over from TVLine where they have put up the new poster and I'm not exaggerating when I say that the large majority of comments below the article were nasty comments about Jensen and how horrible he is along with predictions of a lousy show that won't make it past a season - and they are thrilled at that prediction. I've never seen such - really, hatred - for anything before reading this. It makes me sick to my stomach. And I would feel the same way if Jared was the target with his new show. It's just sick IMO. 👿

• Sad 2
27 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Talking about the JP stans and their negative posts here. I had no idea how much was going on since I'm not on social media platforms. But I've just come over from TVLine where they have put up the new poster and I'm not exaggerating when I say that the large majority of comments below the article were nasty comments about Jensen and how horrible he is along with predictions of a lousy show that won't make it past a season - and they are thrilled at that prediction. I've never seen such - really, hatred - for anything before reading this. It makes me sick to my stomach. And I would feel the same way if Jared was the target with his new show. It's just sick IMO. 👿

ITA. I'd had no idea that people could demonstrate that level of nastiness before I got to see it with my own eyes. It's just beyond my understanding. 

Jensen doesn't owe Jared anything. Why don't they understand that? 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

And it's continually stoked by two of the nastiest pieces of work I've encountered in 20 years of message boards and fandoms. Jared doesn't help it with his passive aggressive nonsense either.

• Sad 1

The more I hear all those horrible things about Jensen those people are writing, the more and more I desire the prequel to really succeed in order to make all of them shove their speeches up to their asses, set on fire and fly up to the moon. 

That's just disgusting.

Edited by Nick24
  • Like 1
37 minutes ago, Nick24 said:

ITA. I'd had no idea that people could demonstrate that level of nastiness before I got to see it with my own eyes. It's just beyond my understanding. 

Jensen doesn't owe Jared anything. Why don't they understand that? 

Because they are immature douchebags and so is their leader.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

Because they are immature douchebags and so is their leader.

I read the tvline comments and they are a dumpster fire. Also saw that the Walker prequel beat The Winchesters for most anticipated show, so it looks like this is turning into a Jared vs Jensen fan war which helps no one. I still think the Walker franchise has the best chance to survive Nexstar but it's just as likely they will get rid of all the current scripted shows and start fresh. So, a fan war is pretty pointless.

I feel bad for the show and Jensen in particular because the Nexstar buy out is a nightmare. It will be very hard for them to course correct to what the new owners want with all the scripts and pre-production they have already put into this. Jensen didn't sound as hopeful and confident in the show at Jibcon as he has in the past. I'm sure Jensen and Robbie have been told what Nexstar wants and what they need to do for a season 2 and that might be why they did some reshoots on the Pilot. There is only so much they can do with the shot eps and ones they are about to shoot so this will all be really tricky especially with a new production company and new showrunner. Jensen also seemed a little worried about the back half getting picked up. He wants to direct an episode next year, but they have to wait and see how the show does in October. I don't know how much power Pedowitz has right now, but he will do anything he can to get as many episodes as possible for Jensen. My hope now is that Pedowitz can get them at least 20 eps this year and if he can't, Jensen has enough warning to give the story a proper ending.

• Sad 2
18 hours ago, ahrtee said:

Just because Jensen did this at a con a week or so ago doesn't mean it was unknown before that.  He's the EP.  I'm pretty sure he has some say in posters, so might have decided it was a nice nod to Zep (or the artist thought it fit the space better.)  And maybe he decided to show it at the con to "explain" (or foreshadow, as @Featherhat said above.)  Just sayin'.  😊

I thought he might have talked about it a long while ago at another con or something. 

Not absolutely certain of that, though. 

Still, it for sure wouldn't be the first time he's retold a story to a con audience and that poster sure does look like it and it's Amazing, IMO; so kudos to whomever came up with it. :-)

• Like 1
On 9/7/2022 at 10:10 AM, tessathereaper said:

I'm sure it was too but Jensen said this is how Zep does heart with his hands. He's probably been doing that for awhile now.

3 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

What I meant was I don't think the poster has anything to do with how Zep does his hearts or anything to do with why Jensen told the story.

Maybe it doesn't.  I just thought it was interesting that their were similarities and Jensen does like to drop hints. 

On 9/7/2022 at 3:08 PM, Casseiopeia said:

No, the sale of copy writed merchandise was never allowed.  There is a bit of a grey area with what they call transformative works.  

Building on what @gonzosgirrl said, I was in the merch room, and I was looking at pins and asked if they had Dean ones, and was told to come back the next day because apparently after creation did its walk through they would mix a few of the Dean pins in with rest. 

They aren't banning the sale of Winchester merch, they are banning unlicensed sellers from selling licensed stuff.  If you have a license, like Conquest journals there, they are free to sell however much they like. 

With the take over, its possible Discovery is a lot stricter on that stuff.e. 

SPN stuff isn't okay if they don't have permission.  IIRC, the rules say the stuff vendors can't sell trademarked.  They specifically mentioned the new things because its part of a new show. It suddenly doesn't change for other licensed trademarked stuff.

On 9/6/2022 at 11:16 PM, Casseiopeia said:

So far  I'm mostly seeing concern in the comment section from many fans about the seeming retcon of John and Mary.

I honestly don't get why this is such a major sticking point for some many people.  Its not like the mothership didn't twist Mary's history into a pretzel already.  At first she hated hunting and wanted out, than not so much as he left her husband and young son to go hunt, and acted like her sons were some kind of burden.

John was supposed to be in love with Mary so much his whole world imploded when she died, than not so much, they hated each other and cupids arrow brought them together.  Suddenly the whole reason for the show existing in the first place no longer existed. 

It was just really about making sure Sam and Dean were being born, except wait no it wasn't it was just God being bored and writing some lousy fan fiction and the story never existed,  If people adhere strictly to show canon, then the mother ship never started until the end 15.19.  Sam and Dean really only had free will for one episode.  So that means the series if basically one episode long and Dean dies on their first hunt, and Sam leaves for parts unknown and lives a lonely life. 

Not exactly a great legacy for our "heroes"   in canon.  I mean they didn't save anyone.  God just wrote it that way.  First time they did it on their own was a disaster.

Canon sucked toward the end of the show.  If Jensen can fix that.  I say more power to him.

What about the mother ship would actually change if John knew all along? "I went to Missouri and learned the truth' could really apply to more than one thing.  It could be learning about the demon deal Mary made, then  John would still start hunting after Mary died.  He's still become obsessed with the thing that killed her.  He'd still keep Sam and Dean in the dark.  The only WTF moment it would create is in The Song Remain the Same where John found out and had his memory erased. 

Which makes it canon that that John knew before hand.  So its really not as against canon as some comments make it out to be as it already happened.   Its a show about the Supernatural, time travel, angels, memory wipes and AU's  It's really doesn't matter when or how John knew because there are multiple options to bring it full circle, and even if this don't, nothing would really change. 

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ILoveReading said:

Building on what @gonzosgirrl

I understand that Dabb introduced all kinds of nonsense into the narrative. Far more than Kripke did. My hope is that since Jensen didn't ask Dabb to be his show runner, he has faith that Robbie will stick more closely to S1-5 story since those years will pertain more to the story of John and Mary. Having said that the problem I have is the story of John and Mary. As has been described many times on this site John was an ass who abused his son's especially Dean. Mary sold her son to a demon for a white picket fence. When she came back she was even worse. Which begs the question if John really did know about the supernatural was he always a jerk? Not really the spinoff I was looking for. The trailer isn't doing anything for my enthusiasm either. The Scooby gang vibe (complete with the goofy van) isn't helping.

I'll certainly give it a try but the hole they dug with these characters is going to be hard to ignore.

Sorry about tagging Gonzogirl my phone won't let me edit.

Edited by Shadow42
3 hours ago, Shadow42 said:

Having said that the problem I have is the story of John and Mary. As has been described many times on this site John was an ass who abused his son's especially Dean. Mary sold her son to a demon for a white picket fence. When she came back she was even worse. Which begs the question if John really did know about the supernatural was he always a jerk? 

He wasn't a jerk before Mary died. In the trailer he doesn't seem to be a jerk.

Knowing or not knowing about supernatural/hunting has nothing to do with John's attitude toward his sons. It's Mary's death what turned John into an obsessed jerk. As long as Azazel kills Mary in that nursery, nothing changes regardless of whether John had known about monsters or not. 

Edited by Nick24
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Nick24 said:

He wasn't a jerk before Mary died. In the trailer he doesn't seem to be a jerk.

Knowing or not knowing about supernatural/hunting has nothing to do with John's attitude toward his sons. It's Mary's death what turned John into an obsessed jerk. As long as Azazel kills Mary in that nursery, nothing changes regardless of whether John had known about monsters or not. 

I get that. I'm not talking about canon or lore there are lots of avenue's to explain the story. I still don't have any sympathy for either of these characters.  But like I said I will give it a shot. I am hoping if this series is successful Robbie and Jensen will tell more backstory's on other characters.

3 hours ago, Nick24 said:

One of my hopes is that maybe Jensen and Robbie will make me like at least Mary again. 

I really want to like Mary...I love the Kripke Mary but nothing they can do will stop her from becoming Dabb Mary. Same reason I don't watch House of Dragon...I know how badly it ends. I do think that this season being under the gun as much as it is, will result in it being a much better show. Everyone thought the show would be cancelled every season under Kripke so they were motivated to tell every story they wanted to tell before that happened. So, any Dean itch Jensen has will probably get scratched and Robbie won't hold back anything for future seasons. Everything they want to say about John, Mary, Dean and maybe Bobby will probably be in the first season.

They also have a pretty easy out if the Season is one and done. Dean goes back in time to 73 so that's a perfect series ender. The show ends with Dean waking up on the park bench. 

A no spoilers review of the first episode. Sounds promising.

https://www.nerdsandbeyond.com/2022/09/12/the-winchesters-pilot-review-spoiler-free/

This one has tons of spoilers so don't read if you don't want to be spoiled. It's also a tiny bit (as in not very) more skeptical.

https://www.thecosmiccircus.com/review-supernatural-series-the-winchesters-premiere/

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1