Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Okay, not dinner, but brunch.  Am totally IN LOVE with this place's truffled grilled cheese.  PRguy's hazelnut crusted French toast (bottom pic) was delicious as well!  Will definitely be going back to the restaurant soon.  :)

• Love 5
(edited)

I went out to dinner tonight, part of a work-related event.  The food wasn't too bad, but the view from the top floor of the building of the local waterfront is always nice as the sun goes down and the lights come on (15th floor, which isn't too high, but it's the highest building around my neck of the woods) .  For dinner, I had Caesar salad, chicken Alfredo and cheesecake with praline sauce (and coffee).  And very good dinner rolls--yeasty and warm.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 5

What in the world is bibimbap?  I love the word but I keep seeing that word, in magazine & newspaper food articles, & for some reason, I can't figure out what it actually is.  I've seen its ingredients but I can't, for some stupid reason, figure out what it actually is.  Bibimbap :>)

11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

What in the world is bibimbap?  I love the word but I keep seeing that word, in magazine & newspaper food articles, & for some reason, I can't figure out what it actually is.  I've seen its ingredients but I can't, for some stupid reason, figure out what it actually is.  Bibimbap :>)

The contestants had to make it on Masterchef this week.  It's a Korean dish served in a bowl with crispy rice on the bottom , and various other ingredients served on top, with an egg on top that you can cut into the other ingredients as the yolk runs outs.

bibimbap-bowl.jpg

• Love 5

I should wait until after I've eaten it but I'm making chicken salad for supper and I'm going to put some Masala Simmering Sauce in it.  They were serving this at Trader Joe's yesterday and it was delicious.  I asked the staffer how it was made and the way she described it, it sounded like the typical mayo based chicken salad plus a little masala simmering sauce added.  They put a tiny piece of naan in the little sample paper cup so I'm going to heat up some frozen naan.  

• Love 1

I'm going Trader Joe as well, chicken breasts with chile lime seasoning.    I have to fly to get to a Trader Joes, so I can't bring home fresh or frozen foods, only dried goods. And junk food. I'm eating dark chocolate peanut butter cups as I type.

• Love 1

Oh man...lobsters and oysters.  I'm chartreuse with envy!  Well my chicken salad with the mayo/sour cream and a bit of masala simmering sauce mixed in was delicious.  And yesterday, I grilled (on my indoor grill pan) thawed chicken burgers from Trader Joe's and they were wonderful.  I'm getting to be a Trader Joe's gal it seems.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Polenta with broccoli and pancetta with an arugula salad.

Polenta. The rarest of the rare for me: a carb I don't particularly like. And the Italian side of me is from Northern Italy. My grandmother made it every weekend, but they made noodles for me.

The chicken that went with the polenta is awesome. I make it during the fall and winter and serve it with rice. If I remember, I'll bring in that recipe and post it here.

• Love 2

I'll bring in that recipe and post it here.

Does this mean you are not posting from home???  Are you at work???? Not saying that I'm not, or anything...... No judgment....

• Love 4
11 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Polenta. The rarest of the rare for me: a carb I don't particularly like. And the Italian side of me is from Northern Italy. My grandmother made it every weekend, but they made noodles for me.

The chicken that went with the polenta is awesome. I make it during the fall and winter and serve it with rice. If I remember, I'll bring in that recipe and post it here.

I absolutely love polenta, especially in the fall and winter. Unfortunately, it's total carbs, as you point out, and so something I should avoid or partake of on rare occasions.  If it's not too much trouble, I'd love it if you posted your chicken recipe.

Tonight was hot dogs and beans - easy comfort food, and it hit the spot.

Edited by harrie

I had leftovers from yesterday which was leg of lamb, collard greens, fried corn and extra long grain rice steamed with a fig leaf.

It was amazing and so simple. I have a fig tree that is older than I am, lol. It produces so many figs I have to practically let the animals and birds eat a lot of them. Anyway, I was looking for instructions on using fig leaves for their tannins to keep dill pickles crisp while fermenting. I came across a recipe for coconut rice steamed witha fig leaf on top. I did it and it was wonderful and the fluffiest rice you've ever seen!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, harrie said:

If it's not too much trouble, I'd love it if you posted your chicken recipe.

Nona's Chicken as written down by my dad:

1 Broiler Chicken cut into parts (I actually use only boneless chicken thighs, which is slightly more expensive but totally worth it.)

1/8 stick of butter

2 T olive oil

1 medium onion diced

1 garlic clove chopped

8 oz can of tomato sauce

4 mushrooms sliced (I throw in a lot more than that)

1 bay leaf

1 t basil or 2-3 fresh leaves

1 t thyme

1 t oregano

Splash of Worcestershire sauce (I probably have a heavy hand with this one)

1/2 - 1 cup of chicken broth

2-4 oz white wine

Salt and pepper to taste

If you are using the whole chicken parts, remove the skin from everything but the wings. In a heavy bottomed 11-12 saute pan heat up the butter and olive oil and then brown the chicken. Temporarily remove parts as required to make room in the pan and then return everything when you are done.  In a mixing bowl add all of the remaining ingredients, and add them to the pan with the chicken. On high heat with the cover on, bring to a boil and then turn it down to med/low with cover on for 15 minutes.  Remove the cover, turn the chicken and let it cook on low for 60 minutes, turning the chicken every 20 minutes or so. Serve with polenta and Asiago cheese. Like I said, I serve with rice and the Asiago is an outstanding compliment to this meal as is a nice glass of California zinfandel.

My dad does note that you don't want to boil off the sauce, and should add more broth or water as needed during the process. Because I add a lot more mushrooms than he calls for, my sauce rarely requires more liquid.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, harrie said:

I absolutely love polenta, especially in the fall and winter. Unfortunately, it's total carbs, as you point out, and so something I should avoid or partake of on rare occasions.  If it's not too much trouble, I'd love it if you posted your chicken recipe.

Tonight was hot dogs and beans - easy comfort food, and it hit the spot.

SF in August is basically fall everywhere else! Tonight I am going to take the leftover polenta and pan fry it and serve with sausage and pepper and onions.

The chicken recipe reminds me of my grandmother's though she would always serve it over egg noodles because my grandfather preferred it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

The chicken recipe reminds me of my grandmother's though she would always serve it over egg noodles because my grandfather preferred it. 

Yep. When I was a kid, they made egg noodles for me. If you don't like polenta, I recommend rice instead of the noodles. Polenta is probably the best match for this dish.

I have to admit that even though I don't care for polenta, or really any corn meal food like grits, that if you stuff enough fat into it, I change my mind.  So if you put enough cheese into whatever you're doing with the polenta, I'm suddenly okay with it. I had some shrimp and grits when I was in Pensacola Beach last fall and that sauce was so rich with some sort of sausage fat and possibly butter and possibly oil that I was like, "Hey, these grits are good!"

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1

Thank you, JTMac99 - looks excellent, and we will be making that.  I usually make polenta with half water, half heavy cream if it's available, and a ton of grated cheese, so my rarely making it is probably a good thing.

In our house we always wonder what completely unnecessary fat he will add. In this episode he added olive oil to his guacamole!!! He has a problem.

Because I was watching FNS Kids and realized it had been for ever since I had shaksuka I made that with a cucumber salad and pita.

• Love 2

Made a pasta dish for my daughter to take to a school function - pasta alfredo with chicken, asparagus & some tomatoes. 

For myself?  I went to Culver's and had a Double Strawberry Milkshake (the flavor of the day) and french fries.

• Love 3

After doing errands after work, I'm starting a four day weekend (woo hoo!), so I'm celebrating with a deli pizza and some Blue Bell Banana Pudding ice cream.  I plan to make a pot of sausage and chicken jambalaya later in the weekend.

• Love 4

Someone gave us a huge ass rib eye as a thank you so it was butter basted steak, a baked potato with all the fixings and spicy garlic green beans. I would say I am going to eat light for awhile but it's Labor Day weekend and several birthdays including my own so I don't anticipate healthy eating until the first week of October. 

• Love 6
On 8/31/2016 at 10:29 PM, biakbiak said:

In our house we always wonder what completely unnecessary fat he will add. In this episode he added olive oil to his guacamole!!! He has a problem.

Yuck! I love to make guac, but the idea of adding oil to it sounds nasty.

I have now mastered steak au poivre, and we had it last night, with fries and broccoli. It was so good that I'm making it again tonight. I could almost drink that sauce straight; I love it so much.

• Love 1