Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I just had a porchetta sandwich for lunch and it was amazing. Porchetta is roast pork with rosemary and sometimes other seasonings. This was crispy (pretty sure there was some skin), salty, tender and delicious. It was on a ciabatta roll with little bit of a sweet and savory sauce. I saved half for tomorrow so I have something to look forward to.

• Love 2

Prime Rib Roast is on sale this week at my local market, so that's for dinner tonight.  I'm using a very simple Martha Stewart recipe.  We'll have fingerling potatoes with it.  My freezer purge is some mixed veg to go with it.  Mr A will use the leftovers to take to work for roast beef sandwiches this week.

• Love 3

I found the most delicious find... Smoked shredded beets. I had never seen these.  The brand is Love Beets. 

I made black bean beet burgers topped with avocado and a side of cold salted radishes,  Mmmm. 

It feels like I haven't cooked in so long, very satisfying. 

Chili cheese dogs because we had leftover chili and on iZombie last night they were featured and looked delicious, I did not add human brains to ours but they were still delicious. Also, rose works surprisingly well with chili cheese dogs!

Also, because it wasnt Thanksgiving in my house until we found out what sort of pie Dorothy Letterman made I made a sugar cream pie in honor of her passing for dessert.

• Love 3

@biakbiak - is sugar cream pie typically served with anything?  Whipped cream?  Fresh fruit?

The Purge continues - I made some rice noodles with shrimp that had been in my freezer on Monday.  I've happily been eating that ever since.  I'll have to come up with something new for myself tomorrow.

Kids lucked out with a steak on Tuesday.  Leftovers went into ramen last night for my daughter.  Chicken is the candidate for tonight's dinner.

4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

is sugar cream pie typically served with anything?  Whipped cream?  Fresh fruit?

This is the first time I have tried to make it so I don't know what's traditional. It's sweet and rich so I don't think it needs anything.

Tonight will be lemon baked cod and isreali couscous salad.

Since my family is scattered (we get together in the summer for a couple of birthday celebrations and at Christmas), we don't 'do' Easter anymore.  I did buy a spiral-sliced ham to put the freezer, though (I get one or two now while they are on sale and have one when I'm craving ham in June, August, etc.  

Tonight's dinner is spaghetti with meat sauce (sauce is leftover from last night) and Blue Bell Neapolitan ice cream for dessert.  

I was thinking of making this Asian Slaw with ginger peanut dressing for family get-togethers but have been doing test runs with it first.

I leave out the sriracha, red peppers and cilantro because I have a strong dislike for them, but subbed in some Szechuan sauce  for the sriracha, used almond butter and almond slivers instead of peanuts (didn't have either) and added some thinly sliced celery.  I liked it a lot, especially since it seems to be a recipe that you can tinker with to your own tastes.

I ended up adding more ginger and cutting way back on the honey in the dressing after the first try which was more pleasing to me.  For lunch I added some leftover turkey from Easter dinner and it was very good.  I'm pretty sure that is what I will have for dinner.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I was thinking of making this Asian Slaw with ginger peanut dressing for family get-togethers but have been doing test runs with it first.

That looks good (and I do mean looks good; it's very colorful).  I suspect I would want to cut way back on the honey as well, so I'll make that adjustment to the dressing when I try it.  Other than that - and replacing the soy sauce with tamari, which I always do because I find soy sauce too salty - it sounds like it would be quite tasty, so I've bookmarked the recipe.  Thanks.

In fact, I should have all those ingredients on hand at any given time (not a bag of cole slaw mix, but I almost always have red and green [and maybe some Napa] cabbage in the crisper), so maybe I'll make that tomorrow (I won't be home tonight).

• Love 2

We're leaving for NOLA to visit grandkids early Wednesday. I'm getting rid of fresh stuff in the fridge. I had some asparagus, so I steamed it, added it to Trader Joe's asparagus risotto with some cooked cocktail shrimp I picked up from WF. Perfect.

I'll pick up some Mexican from a local chain on my way home from a meeting tomorrow afternoon. They're offering free chips and queso with an entrée purchase to celebrate tax day. Hee.

• Love 2

@ariel - I tend to do the same so have been trying to diversify.  I've started to make a few of my own dressings so I know everything in it and can control anything I'm trying to watch.  The ginger peanut dressing for this recipe was so-so, but when I had it after it sat for a day and I added more ginger, I liked it so much more.

• Love 1

I'll have the last of the shawarma made with chicken from the freezer purge and corn on the cob tonight.  I still have some bacon and sausage and vegetables  in there but I am calling my clean-out a success.  I made room for three bags of flour plus three containers of ice cream and there are no more frost covered mystery mounds.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 6

Last Monday, my husband and I celebrated Seder at his cousin's house - they had chicken, salmon, meatballs, coleslaw and much more.  :) 

Because my parents are going away, we had Easter dinner on Saturday.  I served lamb, asparagus and cauliflower "fried rice" (i.e. cauliflower in place of rice) with peas and a fruit tart for dessert.  I also made chocolate almond butter bread (chocolate almond butter, eggs and baking soda.  Seriously, that's all you need.  I found the recipe in a grainless cookbook). 

Consistently, the best thing I've ever had for dinner or lunch (or breakfast?) is a 2 egg omelet filled with roasted red bell pepper (done ahead of time & stored in the freezer) & goat cheese -- serve with toast or English muffins if you want to.  Unbelievably good --  make a few & store them in the refrigerator until you're ready to microwave one for a meal.  I love them with just a little salt, but sliced green onions on top would be good, & mixing some dried herbes de provence into the eggs would probably be nice too.  !

• Love 1

This will probably be sacrilege to some but I made mushroom risotto in the Instantpot and it worked out perfectly, quick, creamy, al dente and decilious. Plus no stirring! Definitely will go into the rotation.

• Love 4
On 19/04/2017 at 11:12 AM, biakbiak said:

This will probably be sacrilege to some but I made mushroom risotto in the Instantpot and it worked out perfectly, quick, creamy, al dente and decilious. Plus no stirring! Definitely will go into the rotation.

I'm the devil when it comes to Italian food. I butcher it completely! 

I've been known to par cook my risotto rice in the morning and finish off the risotto later to order for the toddler and then hubby. The boys don't know any better and love it!

Tonight's dinner is spring rolls with crab and corn soup.

We're on holidays so it's easy food to prepare in the holiday house. 

I saw a suggestion for stir fried vegetable rice today that has inspired me.  I'll make my version of it  and dish out a serving for the vegetarian before dicing up some leftover sausage and adding that for my son and me.

I had salmon and a warm kale and shiitake mushroom salad tonight.

At lunch I had the Asian slaw with ginger peanut dressing discussed above.  I used a good bit less honey and a good bit more ginger than called for, and tamari instead of soy sauce, and made it the night before so the flavors had plenty of time to hang out together, and it was good.  Maybe even very good.  Simple and tasty, at any rate, and I just loved how colorful (and flavorful) the slaw was. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

At lunch I had the Asian slaw with ginger peanut dressing discussed above. 

I'm on my second batch of this stuff this week - I am seriously enjoying it.  I've eaten more cabbage in the past week than I have in my entire life.  I just looked up the benefits of cabbage and they are quite numerous. 

• Love 1

Thanks to everyone who has been cleaning out their freezer - you've inspired me to clean out my freezers and pantry. I've got a list of everything to use up and tomorrow I'm going to plan meals around what I have.  First meal is white beans with kielbasa, spinach and diced tomatoes (beans, canned tomatoes and kielbasa on hand). 

I stopped at the new butcher shop before lunch today to get some cold cuts and shop around for something to grill for dinner. Ended up buying her (the butcher is a young woman from somewhere in Eastern Europe) chicken burgers. They were these large patties with red and green bell peppers and red onion mixed in. Got my grill up to 550 and cooked them between the burners instead of right over the fire. 

So. Good. My son gave it the stink eye. Ate all of his vegetables, all of his potato salad and then took the tiniest bite of the burger. A minute later he says, "dad, your burger is gone."  He agrees. So good. 

• Love 1

Thanks to everyone who has been cleaning out their freezer - you've inspired me to clean out my freezers and pantry.

Me, too, Marge.  I've had some weird combinations.  

21 hours ago, forumfish said:

@annzeepark914 -- you just reminded me that I have some sprouting red potatoes AND sweet potatoes. I will have to work those into this week's menu as well. Thanks!

Peel the sweet potatoes & chop into bite-sized pieces.  Melt a little coconut oil in a dark roasting pan & toss the sweet potato chunks in it -- roast (uncovered) at 450 degrees 15 minutes -- toss & stir, roast another 15 minutes -- they should be tender when pierced with a fork, but roast awhile longer if not.  Remove from oven, sprinkle with a little coarse salt & a little Trader Joe's reduced balsamic glaze. Serve warm.  

I like them with a spinach salad that involves red onions, hard boiled eggs, & garlic vinaigrette.  

• Love 1

Tonight I decided to just grab something from the neighborhood market's hot food case, which I haven't done since they came under new ownership. I got the chicken strips. The damn things turned out to be about 4" x 5". Those aren't "strips", those are breasts!

Leftover night! Got a chicken burger I can reheat on the grill for my son, probably mac and cheese for the vegetarian before she heads off to dance. For me there is a leftover smoked pork chop or leftover grilled chicken to also reheat. Sides will be microwaved bags of vegetables and a salad. I've managed to turn Tuesday night into something better than just nuggets and fries in the toaster oven because of the running around back and forth to dance and stuff.

• Love 1

I made bacon, potato, and cheese frittata. The Adult Child in my home ate 2 bites and tossed his because its potato ratio was too high. This was deliberate on my part b/c I don't really like eggs. So I get to have leftovers for lunch and he filled up on corn flakes.

• Love 1

I read this thread regularly but have only posted once.  I don't call meals breakfast, lunch and dinner anymore. I call them feedings.   I live alone and my meals are quirky.   

Last night I had 9 tater tots (I keep calories in control) a soft boiled egg and homemade cole slaw. 

I eat very healthy food so junk is not a routine by any means so consider tater tots an extravagance.  We were talking about them in another thread, thus my craving.  :^)  

• Love 3