Type keyword(s) to search

The Strain: Books Vs Show

I'm really curious about the books.  I've read in so many places that they are really terrible which makes me reconsider my desire to read them.  I actually like the show despite some of the issues that are most commonly cited as reasons this is a bad show.  It's a show that I look forward to and I'm captivated the entire time.  I don't think it's great tv, but it's sufficient for my summer viewing pleasure and is an awesome replacement for True Blood.  I love that someone is finally portraying really bad and horrifying vamps again.  

So, considering how I feel about the show, should I read the books?  I'm not hugely fond of reading poor writing, but I do have a fairly high threshold for how poor they need to be before I finally turn away.  What makes these books bad and what makes them good?  

That's up to you. I personally loved them. They aren't without their faults but I absolutely enjoyed reading them. Like you said, it's great having a story where vampires get to be monsters and there's zero focus on any emo bullshit (from them the humans deal with plenty of emotions which is natural in the wake of this epidemic). These vampires have ties to their human lives but they have no humanity. It starts leaving them the second they get stung. That's what really appealed to me as I read them. There's no last minute cure discovered by Our Intrepid Heroes, it's just a race to avoid getting stung and becoming one. The smartest move Hogan and del Toro made was making them ugly. Keep them physically attractive and we'd end up with readers and viewers rooting for the Master on the grounds that he's so dreamy (like they do with the male vampires on True Blood, Vampire Diaries and, of course, Twilight). It's a lot harder to ignore the monster when it's right there on his face.

I will say that you should maybe avoid reading them if you're big on things not being changed from one medium to another. To give an example, when they were adapted to comic form, a small subplot surrounding an astronaut was cut. That was fine as the only connection to the story was a feeling of foreboding when looking down at New York when the eclipse occurs, but it was a nice little piece I enjoyed and would have liked to see in the comics. The show may still include that subplot in an episode since the eclipse hasn't occurred yet, but I doubt it. The omission doesn't bother me beyond my own preference but it would to someone who is a major stickler for stuff like that so consider if you decide to read the books.

• Love 1

I think the books were a good fast moving read.   So far the tv show is moving super slow for me compared to how things felt in the books.

I liked them enough to read all 3 books--but probably mid-way through the second one I was ready for the ending and the third book seemed a little over-complicated for how things ended.

Thinking long term I'm wondering if the show will make adjustments to the mythology surrounding the Master and other Ancients? Like, maybe they'll present the angel stuff as an unproven theory on the creation of the vampires while the way to permanently destroy them proves accurate? I know del Toro and Hogan intentionally married science with vampire folklore/tropes, which is fine, but the Angel stuff was still a bit too heavy handed for my taste and I basically love the books in spite of it. I think it will work much better if it's just presented as one of the many stories Abe heard from his relatives growing up rather than the Reason They Exist.

Though now I'm wondering how deep into the Master's backstory we'll get. Will the show go into the giant he inhabits and the turnaround from gentle and generous man to vicious monster or will that just be glossed over? The perfect time to show us this backstory will be when he takes over Bolivar's body for his own so it can wait but I am curious if they're going to show it at all.

I also can't wait to see Gus and his crew kicking vampire ass and I think the set up for that is one of the better slow burning stories they've got (though I acknowledge that it may be because I know it's coming). I also can't wait for Fet to meet Abe and Nora. His relationships with both were some of my favorite parts of the series.

Did Abe make the box in the books?  I don't remember that part, but it was a while ago that I read them.

I think they are doing a good job with the adaptation so far, the vamps are appropriately disgusting and they are hitting the key points. I liked in the books how fast the takeover happened, how quick it all went bad.   Unfortunately the slim characterization for Nora is still there, which bugged me and it was the overall weak characterizations that caused me to give up on the series. 

With the introduction of vamp on vamp killing this week, will they get into the whole Master as rogue with his plan to take over? I don't think that was in the first book.

Abe did make the box and I've been waiting for that reveal. 

Quinlan is here!!  He's right there with Fet, Gus and Abe as one of my favorite characters in the books.  I need to reread book 1 because I can't remember if he's in it or not, though I'm more confident that the Master's, er, master plan isn't brought up until book 2 but these changes don't bother me.  I don't know that we'll see much detail on the Master's plan this season or if it will just be hinted at.  I can see the show introducing us to the Ancients like in the books, but that would most likely be a season finale type of scene and then the explanations of why the vampires haven't taken over the world before now, followed by their sudden deaths, would open season 2.  If they wanted to go into all that detail this season, then fine, no objection from me, but they do need to devote serious time to the reveal when it happens.  I think it's far more likely we'll end the season with the full horrifying image of the Master, ala the end of the first graphic novel adaptation, and then season 2 will get into the whys and hows of his plan.

Thanks scarynikki12. 

I agree with all your points about the Ancients.  Wasn't it Gus that they take to a cave and he sees they are basically farming people?  That should be a killer scene but definitely needs to be done right, maybe without a hint of lead in.  One thing I really do like about the series is how non-human the vampires are, doing their own thing and not wanting the Master to expose them.  He's like that crazy uncle you want to hide away, only powerful.  I think the horror portion of the series (well, the first two, though I know how it ends I didn't read the third) was done pretty well. 

I think it was Gus, you're right.  And it was the result of working with Quinlan and being led there if memory serves.  I love that Hogan and Del Toro gave a hint as to what the Master would be doing once he takes over the world (farming the remaining humans) while also explaining why none had tried to take over prior.

You're also right about the horror angle being well done.  Once Kelly turns and starts coming for Zack and Eph it gets really scary.  The mindless monster looking for her Dear Ones to make them like her is such a classic horror trope and well done here.  I also love it when the team has to explore the subway tunnels and fight the vampires lurking there.  There are so many things about vampires that are truly terrifying and Del Toro brings them to life so well.

Gonna hide out in here because I just wanted to say I really liked this last episode, even if it lacked some tension because I know who's surviving and who isn't.  I guess the show could change some things but I don't see why they would.

LOVE the casting of Fet.  He was probably my favorite, with Setrakian and Gus, and Kevin Durant brings a great physicality to the role along with being no-nonsense.  Heck I may even give the books a try again.  Maybe I was cranky when I read the second one :)  The thing that worries me most about the third is not the angels plot, though that does seem a stretch (I liked vampires as SCIENCE better) but I don't think I want to read the details of what Eph's son does to the zoo animals.  Yes I am one of those people :)  I believe he starves them but I don't want tragic descriptions.  

Do we find out what happens to Neeva and the kids?  I remember she got away with them after the confrontation at the house, but I don't think we heard more about them afterward.  Anyone reading this doesn't have to give details, I was just curious because I remember liking that I didn't know what happened, which seemed more true to life. 

• Love 1

I decided to re-read the first book to see if they do explain what happened to Neeva and the kids.  I'm not there yet, so I'll let everyone know if this changes, but my memory is that the family and employees didn't make it.  I don't know if it's explicitly stated or if I just assumed since the vampires go after their Dear Ones like Terminators hunting the Connor family.  I will say that Quinlan has shown up much earlier than in the books, so we may very well see Neeva and the kids survive this vampire apocalypse.  If they didn't outright reveal what happened then they've left themselves lots of room to answer those questions.

I just finished the last book and while I certainly enjoyed reading about Quinlan's backstory and the Ancients, the portions with Zach hanging out with the Master was simply tedious to get through.  I get that Zach is a young teenager with some absent dad issues, but to me he was annoying and entitled.  I was hoping that someone would just take him out so we wouldn't have to spend anymore time with his teenage angst.

Gus was simply bad ass in the book and I really hope the show gives him some much needed attention instead of making him the cliched "gangster with a heart of gold." 

The worst thing about reading the books before the show is that I'm constantly biting (figuratively so far) my tongue to keep from telling everyone in the episode threads that their theories are correct or incorrect.  It's so hard! 

With that in mind, I must admit to being a bit confused myself on certain points.  In the books, Palmer is behind the communication breakdown coming from New York, but we never meet the individuals who actually do the work.  It's implied that they are hired by his Stoneheart Group and used to demonstrate his influence and deep pockets in setting up the Master for the takeover.  I can only assume that Dutch exists to be vampire fodder as the series goes on, as most of the gang survives to see the final battle, and losing members of the team will lesson some of the lucky breaks they get.  I can't decide if she'll hook up with Fet, though.  I know he's going to fall for Nora but I can't decide if the show will follow the third book's example and start a couple years after the events of book 2 with them already in the early stages of their relationship or if we'll get to see them gradually fall for each other.  I'd prefer the latter in general, but with it may come more Eph angst and I don't really want to see that either. 

Also, despite agreeing the Eph is insufferable, I do like that the show is already laying the foundation for the group's book 3 opinions of him.  I just finished the trilogy a couple days ago (I'd meant to only do the first but when I start that series it becomes a damn drug and I have to see it through to the end) and one of the big focuses of that specific book is that Eph has become useless in the fight and everyone is pretty much done with him.  They see him as a drunk liability who cannot be trusted.  And he is.  If his current presentation on the show is deliberate (and I have to think it is based on the other characters' book 3 assessments) then I say well done for laying the foundation for the end of the story. 

One thing that does annoy is that the show is going over the top with Eph in this pursuit.  Book Eph drives a regular car and isn't remotely pretentious about it.  Book Eph is called to the dead plane but doesn't pull rank on anyone as the airport officials (who do a basic inspection of the plane before the CDC is even called) call his team in to help with the situation.  Jim doesn't have a sob story about his wife in the books, as he and Sylvia aren't even married and she's perfectly healthy.  He gets turned by the pilot and killed early on in the story and that's it.  There's no concern over the bodies and the "only one coroner can do the autopsies" BS doesn't happen.  Also, Abe and Gus were both in the jail cell when Felix starts to turn as they briefly connect and Gus is able to seek him out after slaying his friend.

I will say that the books never do confirm what happened to Neeva and the children.  Joan tracks them to the apartment but is separated from them by the door and that's it.  We're left with the implication that Joan eventually breaks down the door and turns them all, as wood is nothing for vampires, but that's where their story ends.  The show could check in on them from time to time.  They could easily show up again at the camps the Master sets up after the nukes go off, revealing they'd managed to stay human the whole time, or they could also be brought into the group's fold as vampire fodder for later episodes.  Hard to say at this point.

I read the first book this weekend. Loved the writing style! It's hands down better than the series. It looks like they're following the book fairly closely, so this season must end with book one. One question, I don't remember reading that Abraham made the box. Does that come up in later books?

Finished the third book. The second ebook is on hold in the library. I'll read it but picked up the plot well. I wish there was less divine intervention at the end. And Ozryel beams up to heaven??!! I guess there's hope for all of us. Other than that, a good series. I'm not sure I'll continue the show. As usual, the books seem better. 

It's so hard for me to not spoil the non-book readers but I really want to reassure them that the Master won't look like this the entire series.  He dumps Sardu's body and inhabits Bolivar in book 2 so he'll look far less silly, probably as early as next season.

• Love 1

Actually, the description of the Master in the book is no where near as silly as the realized version on the show.  Just because he becomes Boliver doesn't mean the producers won't rely on cheap prosthetics like they already have.  There is no guarantee he will look less silly than he does.  Especially with that...er..wig...

Actually, the description of the Master in the book is no where near as silly as the realized version on the show. Just because he becomes Boliver doesn't mean the producers won't rely on cheap prosthetics like they already have. There is no guarantee he will look less silly than he does. Especially with that...er..wig...

I wonder if the actor that plays Bolivar is going to be around to play the Master. In the books, he seemed readily recognizable.

I do like the new character which is the hacker. She didn't feature in the books as far as I remember. Until now vampire hunting seemed to be more of a guy thing because the guys are killing the vampires whilst the women still try to take care of (school) children and their elderly mothers. The hacker is for once a proactive female character. I hope we'll see more of her and she remains a regular. 

I find Eph as dislikable as in the books. He acts at times like a selfish, petulant kid. (Maybe it's because of Zack and Kelly, but they didn't explain it properly in the books.

Fet got some nice lines, he seems to be kind of sharper.

My hope is that they're going to avoid the whole Kelly-Eph-Master-love/hate triangle. The master turning in to some kind of Macchiavelli type of monster was a bad move by the authors of the books. 

But they're probably gonna show it and make it a major part of the second or third season. That will be the moment my patience will be tested.

EDIT: And what was the point of the astronaut? I never got that? Was she controlled by the master or did was she just hearing voices? Anyway I hope the astronaut storyline is too expensive for the production company of the show.

Edited by Trois

I think Talia was supposed to be a messenger from God or something.  Her space station/ship falling to the Earth was a sign to Eph that he was the one to translate the Lumen and help save the day, but I expect the show will just have a random comet for that purpose.

• Love 3

Does anyone remember Vasiliy's ancestry? The show says he's second generation Ukrainian but I was almost positive that in the books that was a cover, and his family is really from Russia... Did I misread the books or did the show just decide to make him Ukrainian? I wish I could remember lol

Their other senses are heightened to an extreme as vampires.  The result is that they able to hunt specific humans far more successfully than the average vamp whose sight is still in tact.  They lead the vampires in their hunt for prey and any sighting of a feeler is an indication that the human better run or prepare to fight.  They also feel a connection to Kelly, so we see them with her whenever she goes after Zack and Eph. 

In the books, the feelers are all children whose eyes were burned during the eclipse so I don't know why they bothered to clarify whether or not they'd been blind since birth.  It doesn't matter in the books but maybe it's being changed for the show?

Also, the reason we've only seen 3 of the other Ancients is because the others are across the Atlantic.  Three are in the Americas, three in Europe and the Master does his own thing.  We hear about the other three a few times but the three we've met and the Master are more relevant to the story.

I hope they keep the "Master can see through the eyes of his bloodline" thing because it keeps the Master in the position of true and, constant, threat.  It makes sense that they wouldn't know right away (though certainly Abe should), so it can be a big reveal as the season advances.

One thing I feel like is missing from the show (versus the books) is how NYC fell apart.    The show doesn't seem to have the same kind of urgency; I feel like by now in the books things had really gone down hill (or am I misremembering?)   I guess if they need to stretch the show out, though, they can't have it fall apart that bad as quickly to keep the narrative going.   (e.g., a slower build-up to "The Night Eternal" event)

The first couple of books take place over about a month.  The third is a couple years later after the Master has taken control.  At this point in book 2, NYC is deteriorating but there's still the normal day to day routines in certain areas.  It doesn't all go to hell until the Master takes over at the end.  The only reason, in book and show, that NYC hasn't devolved into a full on war zone is because both sides want to get their hands on the Lumen and need the auction house to do so.  If NYC has fallen then the auction won't happen and the book remains hidden. 

I do wish the show would make it clear that that Master is keeping the "plague" limited to certain areas of the city as I think it would lessen the current confusion.  Then show all hell breaking loose when Abe finally gets the book and the Master reveals his plan.

There were some serious deviations from the book thus far. Most notable was Quinlan premature death in the movie. Also the civic forces (or some of them) are actively fighting the strigoi. In the book there were - apart from some gangs - hardly any other groups who tried to stop the vampires. Also Eph didn't go on a trip to Washington in the book. My gut feeling is that the show will actually go in a different direction compared to the books. I guess it's the sensible thing to do because the books wouldn't have worked as a blueprint for the series. (Maybe that's what the producers realized after the first season which didn't deviate that much from the book.)

So if Quinlan just arrived, via a similar method as Dear Old Dad, then who the hell was interacting with Gus this whole time? Did they just split his character in two to give book readers a heart attack? They had to have known we'd think that guy was Q (though, to be fair, I don't actually remember if Other Vampire Guy was ever referred to as Quinlan by anyone besides readers).

• Love 1

So if Quinlan just arrived, via a similar method as Dear Old Dad, then who the hell was interacting with Gus this whole time? Did they just split his character in two to give book readers a heart attack? They had to have known we'd think that guy was Q (though, to be fair, I don't actually remember if Other Vampire Guy was ever referred to as Quinlan by anyone besides readers).

Stephan McHattie was the actor that portrayed the now dead lead Hoodie Vampire.  In imdb it "used to" list Stephan McHattie as playing a character named Quinlan.

Now - imdb miraculously lists McHattie as portraying a character named BOTH Vaun and Quinlan.

The Creepy Spider Children must have made the edit.  :-o

• Love 2

I'm relieved to know that my confusion about the new arrival was founded. Something about his entrance last week made it seem like we (the audience) were supposed to know who he was.

I'm amazed the producers are "re-doing" Quinlan, as if no one would notice.  Did Stephen McHattie get a new gig?

Edited by DEM
  • Love 1

Well, at least he is back ob board albeit under somewhat peculiar circumstances. Yet, I must admit that the new Qinlan has a kind of commanding presence which suits more to his role. So this new kid is actually an upgrade.

Right now I'm enjoying the non-reader reactions to NewZack.  Everyone comments on how horrible/mean/evil he is and it makes me laugh.  Knowing where his story goes, I can't wait to read the reactions when it gets realized.

I think Vaun was the show's first attempt at Quinlan.  I remember being both confused and delighted when he showed up last season, because I love Quinlan but he doesn't come into play until book 2.  I was fine with the deviation, because Q is awesome and has a great arc but, with the team getting killed this season, and the show never actually calling him Quinlan before naming him Vaun, I now think the producers decided to split Q's character and opening story in two (maybe due to actor availability, maybe not).  They gave Q's early story to Vaun, who piques our interest in the idea of other vampires working against The Master, brings Gus to meet The Ancients and into the larger mythology, and seems to be a sentient being.  Then they kill him, giving book readers a group heart attack, letting him go out as a badass, giving The Master's team a win over the Good Guys without killing book characters too early, and then bring in Official Quinlan to fulfill the rest of his story. 

To answer your questions, I think we're meant to infer that Vaun was like Eichorst: a vampire who had been granted permission to be sentient from whichever Ancient turned him.  His team were likely told by their sire(s) to follow his lead until further notice.  In the books, Q is the only Born, there is no Vaun, and none of the vampires are actually sentient.  The Master has a few, like Kelly, Bolivar, and a few Nazis, who he keeps close and can be called his "inner circle", but none are sentient.  There isn't even a hint in the books that this is a power The Master or Ancients can grant.  It's just for the show and makes sense to keep us engaged in the characters and their stories.  I think Abe reading from that book about the legend of the Born is the show's way of letting us know that they won't be creating any besides Q.  I'm curious as to whether or not they'll go into more detail on how Q became the Born, or if they're just going to trust viewers to put the pieces together.  It seems a lot of people already have, so they might just let it be and focus on Q being a great warrior and ally to the humans.  

I was hoping the race for the Lumen would happen this season but I think they're delaying it for next.  They seem to just be setting the foundation right now, with characters talking about it, Abe and Palmer both being aware, Eichorst's disappointment at not being The Master's new body foreshadowing the same happening with Palmer and the effect this has on Team Master getting the Lumen, and the city regaining some semblance of control against this plague to allow for the auction to even take place.  I expect that the season might end with the reveal that the Lumen is going to be auctioned off and then the rest of book 2 will be followed in season 3.  Of course, last year I thought book 1 would be split and the season would end with the reveal of The Master, so who knows?

After reading the books I don't feel compelled to watch the TV show. I liked the first book (and first season), the second book was so-so (haven't seen second season) but the third book was a waste. What started as a scientific approach to the vampires lore, coherence and interesting social commentary ended in a lot of nonsense, religious crap and omens. The producers said that the TV show will take detours, I guess the two years gap will be covered in the TV show (along with the coming of age of Zack) but I wonder if they will keep the 'mystical mumbo jumbo' (quoting Gus, from the book).

Edited by hjroman
  • Love 1

WHAT IS GOING ON?????  Does the actress playing Nora want off the show?  Are they going to reveal that her touching the third rail right after getting infected zaps the worms while keeping her alive?  I am so confused!

I was really looking forward to seeing Fet and Nora unfold onscreen and it seems to be no more. 

I also just had a horrible thought: Eph is going to survive the series now isn't he?

I also just had a horrible thought: Eph is going to survive the series now isn't he?

A worst thought: Zach is going to survive the series.

I was really looking forward to seeing Fet and Nora unfold onscreen and it seems to be no more.

Me too.  Both characters were gold in the season finale. 

• Love 2

Wait, what? Nora dies? I am spoiled on the episode but haven't seen it yet. I did not see that coming and it makes no sense. Is she just mostly dead instead of dead dead?

I also thought show Nora and Fet would be great to see.

ETA: Just read a recap, and I can't believe they killed her for real. I was hoping they left some sort of chance for her to return. Ugh.

Edited by CrazyDog