Type keyword(s) to search

The Strain: Books Vs Show

Quote: I think I read previously that Kelly getting Zach was canon, but was Nora dying trying to keep him also in the book?

Trying to answer without spoiling. Kelly does get Zack for awhile and, no, Nora doesn't die in the books.

• Love 1
Nora's death seemed pretty final to me. I, too, was looking forward to her relationship storyline with Fet. So next year, Zack will have an even bigger role. Sigh...

Ugh, Zach's character is pretty drab and I have no interest in seeing Zach in an even bigger role.  Whether its the fault of the author or the show, he's pretty bad.

• Love 1

Every time I think about last night's episode I pout.  So, in an effort to stop, I've also thought of a way they could keep Nora.  Just make the Kelly infecting Nora part of the scene a fantasy of Eph's.  Open season 3 by revealing that Zack, upon hearing Kelly call his name, ran away from Nora.  Eph dreaming last night's scene was just his way of accepting that his demon son would rather be with his vampire mother than him.  Oh, and that he holds Nora 100% responsible  and would rather she died. 

Then I could get my Nora and Fet.  I love them in the books so much and one of the reasons I've stuck with this show is the knowledge that I'd get to see their story unfold.  All us book readers (who like them) earned it!

I honestly thought she wasn't infected, that Kelly had just broken her wrist!  I was thinking "well, she ends up with Fet, they won't kill her...."  and their scenes together worked so well.   I had read somewhere that (I think) DelToro said they would deviate from the books, I didn't think it would be this.  Or maybe the electrocution just killed the worms/vamp part?  Or she's "very nearly dead" and the Master will give her the white (to torture Eph, of course) but she'll fight it and not be evil?  Something?

I also can't remember if Zach went calmly with Kelly or not in the books.  I think he was having an asthma attack and the Master gave him the white or he would have died.  This show must REALLY want us to hate that kid!

I was never Nora fan but I'm not a fan or her dying so soon. Nora should have had enough anger in her to release Kelly. This does give me hope that Eph may survive in this version of the story. Zach is as hard to like on screen as he was in print.

So the more the show goes on, it seems like its going to avoid or change the plot regarding the master's goal of "the night eternal"?   If it happens in the show it would be a major world change, so maybe they're holding it for a season finale as it would totally transition the plot into a different type of story (as it did in the books).  

They also seem to be avoiding the backstory of how the ancients came to be and how to defeat them, adding this lead/silver box idea instead of how it was done in the book.

Edited by jcin617
23 hours ago, BigBlueMastiff said:

Do tell, I only read the first book.

In the book, an angel killed and drank the blood of another angel (I don't recall why now).  In punishment it was dismembered into 7 parts and scattered about the world.   The blood that seeped from each part gave birth to an Ancient.  Thus, to truly kill an Ancient, you had to first find and then destroy the spot on Earth where it arose from.   The show doesn't seem to be following this plot point though since it's talking about entombment of this "red worm" instead.   

Edited by jcin617

Question for the book readers.  I read the outline on wikipedia awhile ago.  Is this a series that is worth reading or was it rushed to make a tv show (looking at you Wayward Pines).  I guess I'm asking is that I know how the series ends but is reading the books worth the ride?

The books were out a fair amount of time before the TV show,  I read them years ago.   I think they're worth reading;  I enjoy the show but I think the books are better.   Also the plot diverges in a few key areas from the show so a lot of it will be almost newish story.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, jcin617 said:

The books were out a fair amount of time before the TV show,  I read them years ago.   I think they're worth reading;  I enjoy the show but I think the books are better.   Also the plot diverges in a few key areas from the show so a lot of it will be almost newish story.

Thank you, I'll check them out and hopefully have them done before season 4.

As the show comes to a close, I can't help but think of the story that was left on the table.    It doesn't seem like we're ever get the origin story of the Ancients on the show, or why the Lumen was so important.