Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E15: Sabotage

• Start Topic

With the end in sight, crews struggle to keep it together. A saboteur seeks an early end for the Cape Caution. Cornelia Marie Captains Josh Harris and Casey McManus fight to control their crew. On the Time Bandit a long lost Hillstrand returns.

• Love 1

One of the best things about this episode was no Saga.  Until the end when Eliot says, "Josh hasn't earned captain status yet."   Pot?  I'd like to introduce you to my friend kettle.....

• Love 5

My extremely low regard for Josh H. went even lower.  We've already seen him undermine a CM temp captain.  He since apologized and said he would never do such a thing again.  Well?  He did it again - in front of the entire crew!  Countermanding direct orders?  Multiple times?  Literally turning a deaf ear to the captain - one who has done nothing but give super smart guidance with a kind heart?  There are a bunch of impolite words I want to use to describe the liar Harris.   What he did was not sabotage.  It was mutinous.

The bait portioning on the Caution was absolutely sabotage.  That guy should never be allowed to fish commercially again.  I hope he was heavily fined by Wild Bill.

I thought the buoy presentation was, for once, not just some Disco stunt.  Good on the dude who brought it and refused any recompense.  

• Love 3

I haven't watched my DVR'd episode yet but glad to hear there's very little Elliott (but boo! Josh Harris has screen time again).

I did watch "The Bait" and was dismayed that Elliott and his latest GF were featured.  It's so obvious none of the older captains have any respect for him.  Why do they give him the time to meth-head mumble about how awesome he is for "owning" a boat or how in luuuurve he is? I'm for sure not interested in his love life (I feel like I need a shot of penicillin just for typing "Elliott" & "love life" eewww).  We all can make an educated guess that the young lady is his Mrs. Right -Now, not "the ONE".  Run, dear, run. And please throw every last article of 686 clothing into the bait box on your way off deck.  I still don't get why other tee shirts or hats have to have their logos blurred but King Douche gets to promote whatever the fuck 686 is (I refuse to Google it).

My extremely low regard for Josh H. went even lower.  We've already seen him undermine a CM temp captain.  He since apologized and said he would never do such a thing again.  Well?  He did it again - in front of the entire crew!  Countermanding direct orders?  Multiple times?  Literally turning a deaf ear to the captain - one who has done nothing but give super smart guidance with a kind heart?  There are a bunch of impolite words I want to use to describe the liar Harris.   What he did was not sabotage.  It was mutinous.

The bait portioning on the Caution was absolutely sabotage.  That guy should never be allowed to fish commercially again.  I hope he was heavily fined by Wild Bill.

Josh Harris will sink back to his old and real terrible prickish self given half a chance.

I thought it was an interesting comparison of leadership styles between the captain of the Cornelia Marie and Wild Bill on the Cape Caution.   The CM captain saw that he was being undermined and dealt with it directly.  It was absolutely appropriate to bring Josh into the bridge and lay down the law, then make Josh stand with him as he explained how things work to the crew.  That established clearly defined authority.  By contrast, Wild Bill whines and rants and explodes.  I also thought it was a failure on the park of the deck boss (I forget his name, the drunk).  He could have gone up to the bait guy and said that he sees what's going on and to fix it or he'll escalate it to the captain.  Fix the issue, no drama.  Wait, that can't happen on the Cape Caution.  They're out there for the drama more so than the crabbing.

• Love 1
I also thought it was a failure on the park of the deck boss (I forget his name, the drunk).  He could have gone up to the bait guy and said that he sees what's going on and to fix it or he'll escalate it to the captain.  Fix the issue, no drama.  Wait, that can't happen on the Cape Caution.  They're out there for the drama more so than the crabbing.

I think that might have happened if the cameras weren't there.  The deck boss (I forgot his name too) had to tell Bill what was going on because he knew Bill would see it on the show.  Had they not been filmed, deck boss might have taken care of it himself without telling Bill.  On the other hand, that shit was serious and IMO the captain should know about it, just so he won't hire the saboteur again.

I think Josh Harris' problem are the cameras; but I also think that some people are just waiting for him to fuck up simply because they don't like him for some strange reason.

• Love 1

I think Josh Harris' problem are the cameras; but I also think that some people are just waiting for him to fuck up simply because they don't like him for some strange reason.

You know, I want to like him.  I'm been rooting for him to grow up and start operating the boat like a business.  There have been glimmers, but he backslides regularly.  I think the solid behavior is the performance for the cameras now.  The crappy sniping etc is his nature.

• Love 2

You know, I want to like him.  I'm been rooting for him to grow up and start operating the boat like a business.  There have been glimmers, but he backslides regularly.  I think the solid behavior is the performance for the cameras now.  The crappy sniping etc is his nature.

Yes, and that's why I think his main problem is that he's on TV.  Some people can't deal with any type of fame and I think he's one of them.  As long as he's famous and has women throwing themselves at him, he'll never grow up because whenever he hangs out somewhere, his ego keeps getting stroked.  

Elliot on the other hand would be a jerk even if there weren't cameras, however I think Elliot's "girlfriend" is only there for the fame; she's probably hoping for a modeling contract or hosting gig or something.

I enjoyed some of the tomfoolery on The Bait - that deckhand challenge between Fourtner and Mandy with ref Edgar was a good way to poke fun at the premise that Mandy "earned" her Northwestern jacket.    The captains reminiscing about the old school days was pretty darned entertaining - I loved the bit when Keith pulled out the rifle and Wild Bill was horrified that it had never been cleaned or oiled. The Elliot & girlfriend interview by Sig was so forced and uncomfortable - I don't know how Sig managed to keep a straight face when Elliot declared "when you know, you just know - she's The One".  heh

Josh needs to learn how to be a captain and quit trying to straddle the line between being best buds with his crew and a leader.  I'd like to see him try to be a REAL crabber and make it without Disco Dollars and cameras.  That would make his Daddy proud.

I was shocked that Wild Bill didn't go all Captain Bligh keelhauler on the greenhorn's ass for the sabotage - his response was well contained rage.

• Love 1

Yes, and that's why I think his main problem is that he's on TV.  Some people can't deal with any type of fame and I think he's one of them.  As long as he's famous and has women throwing themselves at him, he'll never grow up because whenever he hangs out somewhere, his ego keeps getting stroked.  

Elliot on the other hand would be a jerk even if there weren't cameras, however I think Elliot's "girlfriend" is only there for the fame; she's probably hoping for a modeling contract or hosting gig or something.

Neither Josh or Jake should ever have been on TV, to be frank.

Imagine how desperate you'd have to be to think that having sex with Elliot would lead to a modeling or hosting career.  That said, look what a sex tape did for the whole Kardashian family.

• Love 1

Neither Josh or Jake should ever have been on TV, to be frank.

Imagine how desperate you'd have to be to think that having sex with Elliot would lead to a modeling or hosting career.  That said, look what a sex tape did for the whole Kardashian family.

What makes Elliot attractive to someone wanting any type of fame is that he's on TV.

One problem with reality shows is that, IMO, a lot of people who really shouldn't be on TV, people who can't handle fame, are now getting on TV and fucking up their lives in the process.  What these folks don't get is that you're only there because the producers want to use you to tell a story.  With Josh, it's to continue to tell the story of Phil and the CM, with Elliot it's to show what a clueless idiot he is.  Discovery will continue to use them until they decide the show is no longer profitable and then they'll drop them both like hot potatoes.  

What makes Elliot attractive to someone wanting any type of fame is that he's on TV.

One problem with reality shows is that, IMO, a lot of people who really shouldn't be on TV, people who can't handle fame, are now getting on TV and fucking up their lives in the process.  What these folks don't get is that you're only there because the producers want to use you to tell a story.  With Josh, it's to continue to tell the story of Phil and the CM, with Elliot it's to show what a clueless idiot he is.  Discovery will continue to use them until they decide the show is no longer profitable and then they'll drop them both like hot potatoes.  

You're giving Josh too much credit.

Not to defend Josh H or anything, and I of course understand the crabbing culture of "If cap'n says jump, the only acceptable question is 'How high?'" but I think Casey would have gotten through to those knuckleheads a little faster if he had just provided the justification for his request.  Last the crew heard, they were dropping the pots for pickup by the guys they borrowed them from, and heck yeah, no need to waste good bait on that.  But as I understood it, circumstances had changed, and the Cornelia Marie was going to come back and pull those pots.  If Casey had just, you know, *communicated*, they probably would have come in line a little quicker.  Men!

• Love 3

No Seabrooke?  The crab count last night was still at 0.

Suddenly it didn't seem very clever of Keith to stray 500 miles from Dutch, beyond reach of the Coast Guard.   Say the prop had dropped off in the dark, stormy sea -- what then?

Really glad the Mandy arc is over.   Jake's expression during the jacket ceremony was priceless.

The show's whoring for drama has left me pretty jaded.   I saw the Phil Harris buoy and wondered how Discovery had managed to orchestrate that.

Has Freddy vanished this season?

• Love 3

but I think Casey would have gotten through to those knuckleheads a little faster if he had just provided the justification for his request.

This was my thinking.  If he'd just said, "Hey guys, we get to keep the pots for a little longer," there wouldn't have been a problem.  Yes, they're supposed to do what the captain says, but I think also they need to know the reason why as well.  I thought that was a real breakdown in communication.

And Josh arguing that he couldn't hear Casey over the loud hailer - why didn't he go and call him on the phone and ask what was going on?  He dropped the ball there as well.

I'm kinda glad the Cornelia Marie is finished with for this season.  I like Casey, but... I don't know.  It really wasn't the most interesting boat.

I can't believe we got almost an entire episode without Elliot - even though he still showed up at the end (and I groaned), I'm still claiming it as a win.

I wanted the issue of the quota addressed and the fight between Andy and Scott.  Nothing was said about it on The Bait and it wasn't mentioned in the show, save for a shot of Scott as Andy said he was leaving and Jon was replacing him.  They talked about all the problems the boat was having on The Bait but didn't mention the quota issue.

And I don't understand why the guys were so easy on Nick during The Bait and why he wasn't fired for being drunk on the boat.  He must have Wild Bill wrapped around his little finger.  I can't imagine that behaviour flying on the Northwestern or Wizard.  Maybe the Time Bandit.

The greenhorn on the Cape Caution seriously sabotaged the bait because he wanted to go home for a dance?  Is that was that was all about?  It must suck but it's not like they were going to be out for another six weeks.  It was five days.  Not that big of a deal.

I'm glad Mandy got the jacket.  I don't think Jake is too upset about it, despite what the editing is trying to say.  She's a pretty determined person.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see her back next season - I could do with less focus on her, but I wouldn't be adverse to seeing her give it another try.

The worst greenhorn clips made me laugh - about 90% of them were greenhorns from the Wizard.  Keith sure knows how to pick 'em!

The greenhorn on the Cape Caution seriously sabotaged the bait because he wanted to go home for a dance?  Is that was that was all about?  It must suck but it's not like they were going to be out for another six weeks.  It was five days.  Not that big of a deal.

I thought the greenhorn said he needed to get back because he had to start school.

• Love 1

He did say school. I'm not sure that was the wisest choice if he had to be back for the beginning of spring semester. It sounds like he was cutting it very close and it's not like the weather or the crabs are an exact science. Sure he probably made enough to pay for his schooling, but you have to be there at the start of the semester for it to happen. 

At first I thought Casey should just have spoken up, but then I figured he knew what was going on with the bait and decided to let them hang themselves with it.  Probably didn't last more than a couple of pots, but the lesson goes down harder if you're given opportunities to correct yourself and still insist on giving authority the finger)  

My understanding is that originally they were headed back to town.  Once in town, they would be loading more bait anyway.  At first he wanted them to bait the pots properly so when their rightful owner picked them back up, they'd have something in them.  Presumably that was the understanding they had when they made the deal in the first place (as well as good manners).  And the crew thought "ah, screw em! (probably still peeved at the crappy lines they borrowed) and decided to ignore the captain's expectation and then explicit request.

So I'm thinking he then got the call, realized they were still short baiting the pots, and then lowered the boom.  Because now they weren't just ignoring him and screwing the other captain who had done them a favor (they must have been pretty hard pressed if they had to a) borrow equipment; and b) borrow it so close to sailing that they didn't even have time to check it/fix it until they had it on the launcher) .  Now they were screwing themselves and the boat owners (the people Josh answers to).  

He pulled Josh up pretty quick.  Fortunately Josh sucked it up.  

I liked the way Bill handled the bait thing.  He was furious, but professional.  And he actually seemed to understand that it was just possible that the guy truly didn't appreciate how bad it was to do what he did.  Which is more insight than he's shown in most any other situation.  I give him credit for acknowledging that.

The Bait basically affirmed that Nick is the next in line for the wheelhouse, and not in a casual way.  He seems to have been outright promised the job and Bill is trying to help him not completely blow it.

By contrast, Wild Bill whines and rants and explodes.  I also thought it was a failure on the park of the deck boss (I forget his name, the drunk).  He could have gone up to the bait guy and said that he sees what's going on and to fix it or he'll escalate it to the captain.  Fix the issue, no drama.  

I agree with you. And nobody likes a rat. Neil is a drunk and a rat. I think rather than deal with the situation himself, and do his job as deck boss, he chose to be a rat in an attempt to brown nose Wild Bill to try to cover for his recent drunken escapade. And possibly bait Wild Bill. Which would make him a dick as well as a drunk and a rat. At least that's how Disco edited it to look. Who knows what really happens on these boats. The more I watch, the more I think it's all highly selective editing that's about as far away from reality as the Wizard was from Dutch Harbor.

it was just possible that the guy truly didn't appreciate how bad it was to do what he did.

That's what it seemed like to me. He is a greenhorn. I doubt that information is covered in the greenhorn's training manual.

It's been rumored that a lot of the bad blood between the Harris brothers and Captain Derrick after Phil died was because Derrick thought they were actually looking for crabs, but the boys thought they were just there to film a show. Sounds like Josh hasn't changed much.

• Love 2