Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Chapter 17 - In All the Old Familiar Places

Missing the Norman character because he was the essence of the show.

Just saw that Newlander is AArkin’s actual wife’s maiden name.

Jury is still out on HJO cast as Robbie.

7:30 to 7:45 Wednesdays and Sundays

• Love 2

That was the best TV I've seen in over a year!

I cried, I laughed, I cried some more and laughed some more. 

I can't readily find when it was filmed, but we have all suffered incalculable loss in the past year, and this first episode acknowledged that, let us weep over it, and then made us laugh again. 

Humor is highly subjective, but for me, the best line was Martin/Paul Reiser's:

• [Yvette (house-sitter/prostitute)] Sandy, we have a problem. Come quick! 
    [Sandy and Yvette exit]
  • [Martin in fake Russian accent] Boris, we must kill Squirrel.

Even funnier now that I see that Yvette is played by actress Natasha Hall.

And in case you don't get the Boris (& Natasha) or Squirrel references, see, for example:
 https://youtu.be/hTzuO24i-YA 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Super disappointed Alan Arkin isn't back this season as Norman - to me, he was the most entertaining part of the show. Hopefully he'll be drop in regularly for some afterlife chats with Michael Douglas.

• Love 5

What a bizarre bunch of speeches/eulogies at Norm's funeral! 

Loved Sandy going to the restaurant and toasting his friend.  Cute dog, Irving.  The acting class getting out of control was hilarious! 

I'm trying to spread out my viewing of the episodes, because I enjoy them.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I'm trying to spread out my viewing of the episodes, because I enjoy them.

That was my original intent too, but they are only half-hours episodes, so I thought: I'll do 2 at a time.
And then I wound up bingeing the last 4 (there are only 6 total). 
But half-hour bites are nice, and it means it will be in the comedy category, which pretty much ensures award wins, I would think.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I had no idea that Norm died.  I kept thinking it was going to be a dream sequence and sadly it wasn't.  This is why I like to be "spoiled".  :)

Conversely, this is why I like to be unspoiled, and am glad I wasn't spoiled. 
I was able to experience the knowledge of the death of Norm in a natural way, as someone who knew "of" him, but didn't exist in his world. 
It added to the suspension of disbelief necessary for me to enjoy a show.

On 5/29/2021 at 1:37 AM, Cheezwiz said:

Super disappointed Alan Arkin isn't back this season as Norman - to me, he was the most entertaining part of the show.

Same here. 

On 5/30/2021 at 9:44 AM, zoey1996 said:

What a bizarre bunch of speeches/eulogies at Norm's funeral! 

Agreed. His secretary jumping on his coffin? Seriously? And I HATE how they turned Jane Seymour from an elegant, strong woman in Season 2 into a raving loony. She's unrecognizable. 

Speaking of which, Mindy seems very different. Much less annoying to be honest, but very different. Meanwhile Norman's grandson is suddenly 100% better looking. Is it just the beard? 

The scene in the bar though. Heartwrenching. 

• Love 8

I am unspoiled and have only watched this episode. I will watch the entire season, but at the end of his episode I turned to my husband and said “well that was disappointing.”

Count me among those who miss Alan Arkin. This episode underscored for me how much he elevated this series. I’m kinda meh on Michael Douglas, and I felt a whole lot of meh about him in this episode. Look, he’s holding up well for 75 and I understand in real life that he has a blazing hot wife, but when he hooked up with Yvette (which was pretty predictable), I was wondering how on earth that happened. It made a little more sense when we discovered she’s a prostitute, but still...

I hated the funeral and didn’t appreciate retconning Jane Seymour into a bipolar, horny hot mess. I was also confused because I thought the grandson had escaped Scientology, so I was surprised to see him offering to audit people. I understand Norman was messy, sassy and super tough on those he loved and loved him, but the funeral missed the mark for me. I know it was supposed to be funny and is probably a statement about the narcissism inherent in Hollywood, but I thought most of it was cringe worthy. We’ve been led to believe that Norman was very respected and successful in his field so to see that no one could deliver a eulogy that was a little dull, predictable and spoke to his accomplishments was a bit disappointing.

The scene at the bar made the episode worthwhile-just a sweet moment that brought home Sandy’s loss.

And I know it’s a character driven choice, but that ponytail on Paul Reiser has got to go.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Same here. 

Agreed. His secretary jumping on his coffin? Seriously? And I HATE how they turned Jane Seymour from an elegant, strong woman in Season 2 into a raving loony. She's unrecognizable. 

Speaking of which, Mindy seems very different. Much less annoying to be honest, but very different. Meanwhile Norman's grandson is suddenly 100% better looking. Is it just the beard? 

The scene in the bar though. Heartwrenching. 

I agree re Jane Seymour in particular. 
it was funny but cliched and misogynistic.

and honestly what I loved about the show was the fact that it was a friendship between two seniors and we heard about senior things like hisnorostate from THEIR perspective. Not someone’s funny grandpa.

without the banter and friendship it’s sentimental and somewhat cliched.

• Love 1

I had no idea that Alan Arkin wasn't returning, and I was totally confused because it's been so long since I'd seen the first 2 seasons I couldn't remember whether or not he'd died. So I went back and watched the last episode of Season 2. (He did not.) And I realized the show was much, much better with Arkin, sadly. The way Arkin and Douglas play off each other really made the show.

That said, I did enjoy this episode. And I thought the parts with Jane Seymour were actually pretty funny. I agree it's sort of a rewrite for her, but what else could they do with her? Just have her be at the funeral and be sad? This is supposed to be a comedy. Her eulogy had me in uncomfortable stitches. 

I was also confused because I thought the grandson had escaped Scientology, so I was surprised to see him offering to audit people. 

He became disenchanted with the organization itself but still believed in the concepts by LRH. 

• Love 3