Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: The Echo of Lost Tears

• Start Topic

Ha, Nancy really was only with Gil because of the wraith!

I knew they'd get that Bess/Odette kiss in there at some point. Glad it was consensual from all sides.

Looks like the show is indeed going for that Nancy/Ace slow burn. I'm sure the shippers are excited.

Ryan living with Nancy and Carson should be fun. Where is Bess living now, by the way?

Temperance herself, huh? Guess we've got ourselves a new big bad...

• Love 10

Nancy dumping Gil's sorry ass was so satisfying: especially after he basically tried to claim that he was a better ally for her than the Drew Crew.  What the fuck ever, Gil!  You suck and I have no sympathy for your sorry ass.  I know he's family and everything, but if Amanda knew what was best for her, she would get far away from him as possible.

Enjoyed how almost every main character played a part in everything and the final resolution being Nancy basically going through her own mind kind of, and facing her darkness head on: complete with each member of the Drew Crew representing a part of her that helped guide her to what she needed to do.  And even though she did take out the wraith, she didn't allow those other personas to go with it, because as painful as they can be at times, they are a part of her and help shape her into becoming the woman she is now.  Pretty satisfying, I think.

Looks like George is still on borrowed time (for now), but Odette is pretty much going to lock herself away for good, so that George won't miss out on the time she has left.  And George also gave Bess permission to kiss Odette in her body.   Aww!  I thought they did a pretty seamless job with the scene and having it alternate between Bess kissing George/Leah Lewis and Odette/Anja Savcic at the same time.  But George's first action going forward?  Proposing to Nick!

Definitely looks like they're setting Nancy/Ace up for a potential romance, although there is naturally a current obstacle with him still wanting to "prioritize" his relationship with Amanda.

Ryan gives up his rights as Nancy's dad in order to protect Carson from being arrested, but he's still more or less family because he's crashing with the Drews!  Yep, Nancy really has two dads now!  And they're already off on the right foot by bonding over television and Carson teaching Ryan the proper way to wash dishes!  Not having servants will be an adventure, won't it, Ryan?!

Finally, we got ourselves a potential new baddie in the form of Temperance Hudson: a 7th generation ancestor of Nancy who, thanks to some crazy magic stuff, is out and about, and on her way to Horseshoe Bay.  Should be fun!

And thus ends a pretty great season of television.  I actually liked the first season well enough, but I honestly think this not only improved leaps and bounds from that, but it might be one of my favorite seasons of television out of the 2020-2021 line-up.  Certainly the best from The CW, I think (or, at the very least, tied with or behind Superman and Lois if that show can maintain its quality.)  Outside of a few minor quibbles or some typical CW tropes, I thought the writing was actually pretty strong for this kind of show: especially with the characterization.  And, of course, the entire ensemble really stepped it up and brought it all home.  If I had to pick a MVP this season, I might go with Tunji Kasim this go around, but the entire cast is really firing on all cylinders and there isn't a weak link here.  I'm glad that we're getting another season at least, and while I'm a little disappointed that it is moving to Fridays, at least The CW is known for not relying too much on the normal ratings, and focuses on stuff like streaming and international sales as well.  But I hope the show does grow and finds more of an audience, because I think it has potential to really be something special.

• Love 9

Was the first person Nancy met in the dreamscape (the woman in the black robe worn over the Tom Swift dress) played by her mom's actress? I'm trying to figure out if we were supposed to recognize her, or maybe it was a Past/Present/Future thing and she was supposed to represent Nancy in n years?

I did think the episode was great and am glad the show got picked up... even IF it is Yet Another Example of "you can do any crazy ghost/magic thing you want if you set it in Maine" :) .

• Love 2

Nancy dumping Gil was great. I'm glad Amanda went on the trip after all. I won't lie that I've shipped Ace and Nancy from pretty early on (whenever it was that they went to the library in the first season), but I don't dislike Amanda. She needs someone to help her see the light about her codependent relationship with her brother so she can live her own life. 

I loved that the gang was part of Nancy working through her trauma too. This really is one of the best group friendships written. They all work so well together and support each other, but also call each other on their BS. Every one of them has an individual friendship with the others, so it's not that they're all bound together by Nancy. I was so worried thus show would devolve into jealous love triangles, but it has really resisted that and is all the better for it. 

I got a little teary when Ryan revealed he had already signed the document so Carson couldn't be prosecuted. The family unit they're building together is really sweet. 

I figured Myrtle was going to end up evil somehow, but didn't see her actually being Temperance coming. She'll be a good villain for them. Wonder if we'll meet some modern day women in white. 

Bring on season 3! 

• Love 6

The Hudson legacy really is the gift that keeps on giving isn't it? Not only does Nancy get an evil grandpa, she now gets an evil seven times great grandma who's also an immortal witch here to wreck havoc. I was wondering if Myrtle might be shady but I definitely did not see her being Temperance herself, using blood to continue living for hundreds of years and wanting vengence. Looks like we have a new Big Bad for next season, I am really glad we already have season three confirmed, this was a great ending to a great season, I am really going to miss having it to look forward to every week. I liked season one, but season two was a huge leap in quality, it went from being a solid show to being one of my favorite shows of the season and one of the CW's best by far, definitely my winner for Most Improved Show of the year. The cast has really stepped it up, becoming one of the best ensembles around and anchored by a star making performance by Kennedy McMann, combining cases of the week with larger overarching plots was a great way to better explore the characters and give us tons of cool mysteries, both supernatural and mundane. Next season adding in a promising new main villain should shake things up even more. 

Watching Nancy dump Gil was so satisfying, more shows should really get rid of crappy love interests by saying that the main character was only into such a loser because of a curse. Even to the end he was a massive jerk, trying to drag Nancy away from the Drew Crew and acting like he knew better then them, which yeah right. I hope that Amanda can eventually realize that she should distance herself from her creepily codependent brother, even if taking time away from her only family is tough. 

Ryan signing the document to protect Carson was a really lovely gesture, but its really only a legality as Ryan is clearly part of their family now, and is even moving in for even more My Two Dads fun, which I am really excited about. I love that the season ended with Nancy hanging out with her two dads while Carson teaches Ryan how to do the dishes, it all feels so earned. They all started out hardly being able to be in a room together, Nancy being furious with Carson, not wanting anything to do with Ryan, who had been a pretty big prick for as long as Nancy had known him, Ryan was furious with Carson for hiding the truth about his daughter and Carson not trusting Ryan, but now it feels so right that they can all chill together on the couch watching a dad show as an unorthodox but very real family. 

Odette still cant leave George's body, but she has locked herself in George so that George can live what time she has left, which is all very bittersweet but I am guessing they can still find a way to fix this so that George can live her full life and Odette can move on, plus Odette and Bess share a kiss, thankfully with George's consent. A weird story with a nice ending, at least for now. 

They are really going to slow burn us on Ace and Nancy huh? This season went and made me a big shipper for them, so I hope that it is worth the wait when they finally get together. Hopefully it ends well for Amanda though, I like her and hope that just because her time is limited with Ace she wont go back to her asshole brother as the only man in her life. I really liked Nancy's journey through her own head and that the rest of the Drew Crew in her mind helped her work through her issues. She defeated the Wraith by facing her trauma and admitting that it is a part of her, making her the person that she is today. Its a really good way to end her arc for the season of figuring out who she is, dealing with her tragic past while also accepting both of her fathers. I am already ready for season three. 

• Love 9

Wow. Just wow. This season has absolutely surpassed my expectations. This season avoided the sophomore slump. This finale absolutely topped what was last season's finale, and tops what the real season 1 finale was.

Let's start off with the amazing: Nancy realizes that she was only with Gil because of the Wraith and she breaks up with him! Hooray! They actually went there! Of course, Pouty Gil had to threaten Nancy because she broke things off ("you'll regret this!"), only to show him playing video games for the rest of the episode. Yeah, real threatening, Gil. But it makes it seem like Gil will come after Nancy next season as revenge. He really is mostly harmless; the Drew Crew could take him down. Hell, Ryan could take him down. Gil acts like he's a threat when he's more of an annoyance. 

Regardless, I do feel bad for his sister, who DOES seem very sweet but misguided in her dedication toward her shitty brother. It's good that Ace isn't going to just drop Amanda because of her brother, but they are definitely setting these two up to break up anyway, since they're well on the road to Nancy/Ace. Having Nancy realize her feelings, and Ace starting to as well, is a good start to their romance. It's a slow burn, but I'm into it.

I loved the way that they handled the Wraith's defeat. Having the entire group help out in Nancy's subconscious was great. Each brought their own unique way of helping Nancy out, showing that Nancy knows them quite well. I especially liked that they DID acknowledge Nick/Nancy's failed relationship and how that did hurt Nancy for a bit. 

So, Odette is still in George's body but she's going to stay hidden for the rest of George's time left. That's very nice of her, and she even got to kiss Bess as a thank you! I'm not terribly into Bess/Odette due to the circumstances, but their scene was very sweet. Alas, I still hope they find a way to extend George's life. Maybe with the twist of this finale, that can tie in to Odette! But one final thing about George, her proposing to Nick makes sense. They haven't been together too long but she knows she's on borrowed time and she doesn't know whether she has a year left or ten years left. Just because Hannah said that she had no more than a decade, it doesn't mean she'll get all that time.

Ryan signs the papers! And now lives with Carson and Nancy! That'll be a fun dynamic to explore. I was already cracking up at Carson literally teaching Ryan, a 36/37 year old man, how to wash dishes for the first time. 

As for the twist of the end, I figured Temperance would show up eventually. I didn't think she'd be Myrtle, but it makes sense for Temperance to show up in the present day. I half expected her to be the Wraith, but this works out way better. I know she's going to cause some trouble in Horseshoe Bay and I can't wait for it.

• Love 11
(edited)

Hahaha, I loved Ace's drawing of a fish and then Nick's very detailed rendition (followed by Ace calling him a show off).

Awww, the looks that Carson kept giving Ryan. I love that they have become allies and that they care enough about each other that Carson is paying for Celia's funeral expenses and Ryan is offering to sign a backdated document making Carson Nancy's legal parent to prevent Carson from getting into trouble for adopting Nancy. I made a joke about My Two Dads right after Nancy found out that Ryan was her biological father but OMG they're doing it! Carson teaching Ryan how to wash dishes was hilarious.

BYE, GIL! HAHAHAHAHA! At first I was wondering if I had missed a conversation that Nancy had with Gil about all of the Wraith business because he barged in and started talking about how he knew better and her friends were making the marks worse. When he said, "Come with me - you don't need them," I thought he had been researching and found some kind of plan or solution, but no, as usual he was just being a dick who thinks he knows better than everyone else despite all evidence to the contrary.

Great casting for Myrtle. I could see her being related to Nancy. Great casting with Temperance too because she definitely looks related to Celia.

Oh, Nancy. If there's one thing I've learned from watching all these shows about magic/witchcraft/vampires, it's never let someone else have access to your blood!

One thing I could really relate to was Nancy wanting to talk to Ace after her intense dreamscape interaction with him. I've had similar situations where I had a dream and it was so vivid that I still had those feelings when I woke up. It's always awkward when the person in the dream is someone you know in real life because you suddenly have all of these very real feelings but you're the only one who experienced them.

I'm glad that Ace convinced Amanda to still go on their road trip. I know that Gil is the only real family she has left since their dad is in prison and their mom is in hiding, but she really needs to get some distance so she can see what an unhealthy relationship they have. The codependence is bad enough but Gil is the one calling all the shots. She gets nothing good out of his controlling and manipulative behavior. Hopefully being with Ace will make her see how healthy relationships work and then she can set some new boundaries with her shitty brother. Yes, it sucks to get dumped but why does your sister need to cancel her trip so she can watch you play video games? In conclusion, GIL SUCKS.

I wonder how Nick will react to George's proposal. Wouldn't it be ironic if he didn't really want to get married but said yes because George is supposed to die soon and then she doesn't die and they break up? Hmm, sounds like the plot of Life Sentence, which starred Riley Smith (Ryan Hudson) as the guy inappropriately hitting on the girl who was supposed to die.

Other things I loved: Bess making crisis nachos, Nancy giving Myrtle a crash course on the supernatural reason why she needed to borrow a Hudson heirloom, Ryan and Carson watching a documentary on knuckleballs, Ryan assuming that he needed to use half a bottle of dish soap to wash one cup.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 10

Wraith Baby looked like an escapee from a Tool video.

I'm here for the Nancy and Ace slow burn lurve. People with beautiful, shampoo commercial quality hair belong together. Sorry, Amanda but not really....Gil knows what he did. 

I've really loved the evolution of the Ryan and Nancy relationship and I'm looking forward to watching them get closer next season. Who knew that Nancy Drew was going to reboot My Two Dads. I can totally see Riley Smith giving off Greg Evigan vibes. I loved that show back in elementary school.

As a Nancy Drew nerd growing up, I wasn't initially sure how I felt about the series leaning so hard into the supernatural (a genre I love btw) but this second season really hit it out of the park. Good job, show. 

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Great casting for Myrtle. I could see her being related to Nancy. Great casting with Temperance too because she definitely looks related to Celia.

If that’s true, then the Hudson family tree doesn’t fork much. Celia should be a Hudson by marriage and not related to Temperance. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

The bad:

1. Everyone filming in Vancouver, I am begging you - literally begging you - to FIND ANOTHER BEACH, preferably one that is less distinctive and immediately recognizable. Unless you've decided that all shows filming in Vancouver have to film on that beach as a rite of passage, in which case, carry on, I guess.

The questionable:

1. So I get that Amanda and Ace had been planning some sort of road trip for a bit, but the actual departure felt pretty spontaneous. And, sure, at this point I figure that George and Nick have completely given up on the idea that any of the Drew Crew will, you know, show up to work on a regular basis, but Amanda seemed to have a pretty solid job at the hotel that was also helpful for ghostly investigations. Did she just call in sick? Quit? Or is the hotel so desperate for staffers because of the ghosts that they're ok with their employees taking off for road trips without much notice?

2. Where exactly is Bess living now? I know she was crashing with Nancy for a bit, and Aunt Diana doesn't seem to be an option any more - but as far as I can tell she hasn't been living with Nancy for a bit, and I don't think that Carson would have invited Ryan to live with them if Bess was still there? Or maybe I'm wrong.

The less questionable:

1. Heh. So it turns out that the Wraith really was why Nancy was with Gil. I take back some of the things I said questioning your judgement at the time, Nancy.

That said, on a less snarky note, I did appreciate the observation that it can be difficult for people with clinical depression to leave an abusive partner - or even notice the abuse.

Also, I very much fear that we haven't seen the last of Gil. Largely because we certainly haven't seen the last of Amanda. And on that note --

2. Still mostly like Amanda, but....Ace did tell Amanda about Grant, right? That is, through no fault of Ace's, he only just met his brother and immediately had to say goodbye to him? Because if so, that only child comment, ouch. 

Other than that, though, I did like that Amanda is finally getting to travel a bit - even if it isn't hitchhiking in Europe - and I liked that she and Ace were willing to talk things out and forgive each other. It feels oddly solid for a clearly doomed relationship, and getting Amanda away from Gil can only be a good thing. 

3. Also feeling oddly solid: Carson and Ryan.

4. And George proposed! That was unexpected. And - in my humble opinion - a bit early, but since she thinks she only has a decade or so left to live, I guess I can see it. 

5. "I hate zebras." There was a lot to laugh at in this episode but that might have been my favorite.

6. I knew something was up with Myrtle the second she said that the artifacts had to be used on her property, and, also when she was extremely chill about the whole, "Hi, I'm haunted, I'm your distant relative, and I need to do this ritual thing," which, let's face it, would have most people back to calling 911 again. But I still thought the reveal was pretty creepy.

7. There's something evil under the town, hmm? Well. I'm sure everything is perfectly safe and that will never come up at all.

General thoughts:

Agreeing with the consensus here: really good season, to the point where I'd actually argue that this episode - which I enjoyed, don't get me wrong, and not just because Nancy dumped Gil and Ryan finally learned how to wash a mug - was probably one of the weaker ones of the season. If I have a complaint - well, other than that beach - it's with the way the show seriously sidelined Bess in the second half of the season, failing to use her in places where she could have been used.

We'll see if future seasons can keep this up. And see if the Claw can stay in business given the ongoing closures and sudden decisions of the entire group to take road trips to get rid of Ghost Wraiths or just because, hey, road trips. I am dubious about both, frankly, but looking forward to the fall.

• Love 10

Anybody look at the baby Wraith and say "I am Groot!".

I wonder why George didn't get Nick's permission to Beth, it seems only fair.

I really hate that Tom Swift dress, but I have zero sense about fashion. It makes me think, this is what you would wear if you dressing as a skeleton for Halloween.

This episode was good in the beginning and the end but weak in the middle, when Nancy was going through the dreams-cape, facing each trauma. It got really cheesy for a minute there. CW shows sure love this concept, huh. I remember The Flash doing it too. I'm excited about Temperance Hudson. Hope she is as fabulous and evil as they have shown so far.

I'm no fan of Gil, but even I winced the way Nancy dumped him. Lol. She basically said "I was only with you/liked you because of an evil parasite on me". Harsh, Nance.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, kariyaki said:

If that’s true, then the Hudson family tree doesn’t fork much. Celia should be a Hudson by marriage and not related to Temperance. 

They said Nancy was the 7th generation, right? So it's entirely possible that Everett and Celia are/were both members of the 5th generation - which would make them 3rd or 4th cousins. Not very close relatives, but still both Hudsons.

8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

If it turns out to be the Hellmouth, I hope they call Buffy!

Buffy: So, let's talk your boyfriend options.

Nancy: I thought you were here to help me destroy Temperance Hudson!

Buffy: Yes, but in my experience, the boyfriend option tends to get really tangled up in the whole "defeating creatures who suck on blood" AND "destroy this evil Hellmouth thing which just happens to be under some rather nice real estate options." Also you have a fanbase to think of. I think in one case they're even describing themselves as some sort of Nation. A Nace Nation to be specific. But I'm here to remind you you have several seasons to go and some of your other fans think that detective is kinda hot and there's also options like Recurring Characters. Wait, a ghost approaches. Let me throw this stake. Where were we?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, quarks said:

They said Nancy was the 7th generation, right? So it's entirely possible that Everett and Celia are/were both members of the 5th generation - which would make them 3rd or 4th cousins. Not very close relatives, but still both Hudsons.

Or it could just be that Hudsons have a thing for blondes. Everett and Celia (blonde), Ryan and Lucy (blonde), Nancy and Ace (blonde)...

• Love 1
On 6/3/2021 at 8:55 PM, ZeeEnnui said:

I'm here for the Nancy and Ace slow burn lurve. People with beautiful, shampoo commercial quality hair belong together. 

Ace's hair is an obstacle to overcome in my rooting for their relationship.  It bugs me to Sam Winchester levels.

Otherwise I find I'm all in. 

• LOL 2
On 6/4/2021 at 10:08 AM, quarks said:

Buffy: So, let's talk your boyfriend options.

Nancy: I thought you were here to help me destroy Temperance Hudson!

Buffy: Yes, but in my experience, the boyfriend option tends to get really tangled up in the whole "defeating creatures who suck on blood" AND "destroy this evil Hellmouth thing which just happens to be under some rather nice real estate options." Also you have a fanbase to think of. I think in one case they're even describing themselves as some sort of Nation. A Nace Nation to be specific. But I'm here to remind you you have several seasons to go and some of your other fans think that detective is kinda hot and there's also options like Recurring Characters. Wait, a ghost approaches. Let me throw this stake. Where were we?

It bugs me on any show when the main characters male or female have to bed almost every male or female character that's not their parents or Siblings. Nancy does not need to bed every straight  male character in the show that's not her dads. Shes already been with Nick, Gil, the guy from last season(cant remember his name currently. Im in on Nace but the kinda revolving love interests is just whoosh. Like I already said its not just this show. Sorry lol

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

It bugs me on any show when the main characters male or female have to bed almost every male or female character that's not their parents or Siblings. Nancy does not need to bed every straight  male character in the show that's not her dads. Shes already been with Nick, Gil, the guy from last season(cant remember his name currently. Im in on Nace but the kinda revolving love interests is just whoosh. Like I already said its not just this show. Sorry lol

I don't disagree, but since Nancy is still just 19/20 and since we just ended season two, I'm fairly sure that the writers will be pairing her up with at least one or two more people before putting her with her final love interest - presumably Ace at this point.

• Love 1

I'm so glad she broke up with Gil. Although was it really ever truly more than a hookup? His "you'll regret this!" was so creepy. Points to the makeup department - Nancy looked rough. I liked Odette sticking up for George and saving her from an awkward situation. "I hate this house." "Yeah, that was a really inconveniently placed window." I love the lampshade hanging. I like that George was brave enough to propose to Nick, but that's still really soon, and he's basically gonna have to adopt three kids if they go forward with this. Ryan learning how to be a normal person who does dishes is beautiful. I look forward to the My Two Dads hijinks that will come from Ryan moving in. And what kind of supernatural series would it be if an evil entity wasn't unleased on the town?

Edited by bettername2come