Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: True

• Start Topic

On 5/17/2021 at 4:08 AM, Lily H said:

At what point did this show first mention the term Galanthi? Because all I remember is Amalia saying it once at some point in the last ep, and it making no sense at all, and then all through this episode, it's like we're all supposed to just know wtf the Galanthi is. I watched the 'future' part of this episode seriously debating whether or not to just change the channel and wait for Mare of Easttown to start, mainly because I couldn't make out what they were saying most of the time and there was so much random gibberish being spoken it was frustrating and annoying to watch. I still have no idea whether the Galanthi is good or bad and what it is.

I binged all available episodes of Mare of Easttown yesterday and it was fantastic.

I absolutely loved The Nevers up until this episode. I haven't been a fan of the 10' tall girl or the multilingual one, but otherwise have enjoyed the characters and the plot. Personally, I HATE it when shit's explained by "oh, it's aliens" or "oh, it's time travel." It's so lazy and often not done well. Obviously there was an other-wordly element to the enormous glowing orb underground as well as the giant flying fishy-looking spaceship thing, but I'm so bummed. I don't know why I'm so bothered by it, but I'm really pissed off and I just wish that the time travel/future and the whole Galanthi thing weren't part of the story (or that the Galanthi dumped the spores and that was that). Sorry, I'm venting but it's my pet peeve. 😞

• Love 3

Just something that I am mulling over in my head:  when True fell backwards after "talking?" to the Galanthi, and she was told that she wasn't going to remember something, and we saw a woman wearing a lot of makeup who appeared to look like Myrtle (or an older version of her).   Now Myrtle was the only person who was able to understand what Mary had been singing and that it had been a communication to Amalia True from the Galanthi.   Is there a connection to THAT and why it appeared to be Myrtle in that final vision?  

And I'm thinking that it is one of the bad guys who "hitched along" - probably the evil doctor.  I'm just hoping that by the end of this show (2022 - yikes!) the good side wins and the Galanthi makes it out alive.   In the brief glimpse we got of it, it looked to me like a Pterodactyl crossed with a squid or octopus.   Maybe octopi are going to be the new template for Aliens as opposed to the bug-eyed insect-looking things we used to see in years past.  

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Maybe octopi are going to be the new template for Aliens as opposed to the bug-eyed insect-looking things we used to see in years past.  

Its funny because in another show, Resident Alien, the alien species is related to octopuses.  

I wonder how the other person "hitched" a ride with the Galanthi.  It looked like it was the Galanthi that chose to take Stripe with him. or did his method of collecting Stripe's soul?  consciousness? end up taking someone else's as well?  

I think its in Dr. Hague because he also mentioned "hope" to Ms. Bidlow, which seems to be a big factor with the Galanthi.  if so, I guess he's anti-galanthi, since he does the lobotomies on the touched. I think he created the other creatures as well, having future knowledge, but not the correct tech.  I'm guessing that he doesn't want to outright kill the galanthi because he's hoping to make some big breakthrough to ....idk be famous?  stop the galanthi in the future?  some other reason? 

I'm guessing the reason that the spores acted differently in this time frame is because the people are less attuned to the possibility of alien life and just wouldn't comprehend galanthi tech/language?  

Will we ever see Molly's first love again?  Varnum?  and what happened to her MIL?

• Love 1

At the start of the final show, I thought my HBO max app, which is the biggest piece of crap in existence, doesn’t even want to come on half the time) Was acting up and was showing another series!! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I loved Amalia's origin story. I just really like her character, both actresses playing her are fantastic, and I found it satisfying to get an explanation for why she's different from the other Victorian women.

I also thought it was really brave and cool and interesting to set the first half an hour or so in a different genre in a different time and place with an entirely different cast! I actually checked to make sure I was watching the right show.

I love when a show doesn't spoon-feed you. I always think it's a really good sign. But even at that, I have to admit that the future-set chapter was pretty hard to follow. All the characters were throwing around jargon that I didn't understand!

Edited by Kirsty
  • Love 2

I LOL at people who thought they were o  the wrong channel because so did I except I was watching on demand.

someone want to tell me what “possum”ing is? Playing dead, but why? 
missed that someone betrayed everyone.

intoo thought the Indian lady somehow was Harriet which led me down the path of looking for more doubles.

the galanthi was cute.

But

im very j comfortable with the way they all speak about the galanthi as if they are gods. Sacred Hopy beings. It’s just weird. I mean that song that brings hope...

and the 4400 was AWFUL after its first season so I sure hope it doesn’t go there...

what Amalia/zephyr did to Sarah was way worse than I would have imagined and also even seemed uncalled for. Cruel.

10 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

I LOL at people who thought they were o  the wrong channel because so did I except I was watching on demand.

someone want to tell me what “possum”ing is? Playing dead, but why? 
missed that someone betrayed everyone.

intoo thought the Indian lady somehow was Harriet which led me down the path of looking for more doubles.

the galanthi was cute.

But

im very j comfortable with the way they all speak about the galanthi as if they are gods. Sacred Hopy beings. It’s just weird. I mean that song that brings hope...

and the 4400 was AWFUL after its first season so I sure hope it doesn’t go there...

what Amalia/zephyr did to Sarah was way worse than I would have imagined and also even seemed uncalled for. Cruel.

Maybe I'm too easy, but I didn't think the 4400 was that bad. It could/should have been better, and its broad mythology was a mess, but I enjoyed it OK during a relatively recent rewatch.

As to what Amalia did to Sarah, obviously it was a betrayal. But I am not sure how many options she had.

It's not a situation she could physically fight her way out of, which is the bulk of what she knows.

She could have stood up to Dr. Loboticus told him the truth and ended up where Maladie did.

She could have lied that she had no idea what he was talking about and pretended to not know that Sarah was talking about these things, but that would be a transparent lie, as the staff had  And they both would have gotten got.

She could have said something more neutral and then advised Sarah to lie about it as well. But trusting Sarah to be able to pull off the lie, and Dr. Loboticus to believe the both of them also seems like a long shot. 

• Love 2
On 5/31/2021 at 8:27 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

As to what Amalia did to Sarah, obviously it was a betrayal. But I am not sure how many options she had.

And Amalia was still very much in Stripe mode-- it came across to me that she did what she felt she had to do to survive. Period.

• Love 3
On 5/17/2021 at 6:48 AM, Philbert said:

1. Holy shit it's God damned Claudia Black. God how I have missed her in sci-fi tv.

She has been on Final Space for a while.

I can wholeheartedly recommend that show. It's awesome.

• Like 1

We only just discovered The Nevers here in 2022 and binged all 6 eps of Part 1. 
Not seeing many recent (past Summer 2021) posts here, so don't know if anyone will reply.
It's tremendously entertaining and well-done, but soooo convoluted and with more than a few serious holes in the plot.

For us, the most absurd hole is this:
Massen hates the Touched and wants them gone. Amalia gets him to confess (sort of) that he was behind hiring the gunman that killed Mary while she sang. But he has known all along where the 'orphanage' full of Touched are. If he really wanted them all gone, why pay a mad gunman to kill just one newly-aware Touched in a park in broad daylight, instead of paying some desperate-for-cash woman to fake being touched (to gain entry into the orphanage,) and have her carry in a lethal poison to slip into their food, thus killing off all or most of them in one fell swoop? He's got the money. He's got the connections and the spies to infiltrate. No problem distancing himself from the act so he appears uninvolved. It makes no sense - a huge gaffe, IMHO.

One friend said he engineered it especially to frame Maladie as the killer. But she's already proven guilty of tons of other killings in town, so why would he need one more? If he really beleives all that crap about the Touched being a pestilence on the Empire, with his money, power and influence, why not just shut them all down with one mass killing that he makes sure doesn't implicate him?

• Like 1
On 1/13/2022 at 12:28 PM, seth said:

We only just discovered The Nevers here in 2022 and binged all 6 eps of Part 1. 
Not seeing many recent (past Summer 2021) posts here, so don't know if anyone will reply.
It's tremendously entertaining and well-done, but soooo convoluted and with more than a few serious holes in the plot.

For us, the most absurd hole is this:
Massen hates the Touched and wants them gone. Amalia gets him to confess (sort of) that he was behind hiring the gunman that killed Mary while she sang. But he has known all along where the 'orphanage' full of Touched are. If he really wanted them all gone, why pay a mad gunman to kill just one newly-aware Touched in a park in broad daylight, instead of paying some desperate-for-cash woman to fake being touched (to gain entry into the orphanage,) and have her carry in a lethal poison to slip into their food, thus killing off all or most of them in one fell swoop? He's got the money. He's got the connections and the spies to infiltrate. No problem distancing himself from the act so he appears uninvolved. It makes no sense - a huge gaffe, IMHO.

One friend said he engineered it especially to frame Maladie as the killer. But she's already proven guilty of tons of other killings in town, so why would he need one more? If he really beleives all that crap about the Touched being a pestilence on the Empire, with his money, power and influence, why not just shut them all down with one mass killing that he makes sure doesn't implicate him?

Some quick thoughts beyond "because if they decided to assault the orphanage, there wouldn't be a show":

"Hate" is the wrong word for what Massen feels toward the Touched. He is concerned that they pose a threat to England and to the social order that in his mind should have white men on top, as the Touched are disproportionately women and people of color, and no men of good breeding. He is concerned about who or whatever is puppetmastering the creation of the Touched.

Against this backdrop, there is no particular reason he should want to kill the people at the Orphanage. As far as he knows, none of them have any particular insight into the puppetmaster's master plan and despite being together, they don't seem to be acting in a unified, anti-English, anti-white, anti-patriarchical fashion. It is more useful to know what they are doing and use them to try to figure out what the Touched are up to. Plus there is the element that they have their own patron that is protecting them (or is she?) and he might not want to run afoul of her or public opinion.

Mary is radically different. She was some sort of conduit for the Touched and seemed to be mobilizing them for a purpose that normal people could not discern. From Massen's perspective, she represented an immediate threat and needed to be taken out ASAP.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Finally got around to watching this tonight. I figured since the 2nd half is premiering in a month, I should figure out if I liked this enough to keep watching.  Just when I think I know where things might go, the writers throw a curve ball. This episode was a wipeout slider.

I figured based on the ending of the pilot that True wasn't exactly who we thought she was. I had sort of thought she was an alien from the ship everyone saw that crashed, and had put themselves in True's body at her point of death. As it turns out, I wasn't entirely wrong.  (I became suspicious early on when the Begger King threatened to cut her face up, and she just responded with "that's not my face.")

I had to read a few reviews to really get a grip on what was shown here-this was particularly helpful;

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-nevers-part-1-ending-explained/

I probably shouldn't, but I like the guy who plays Lord Gilbert Massen, and I'm at a loss to explain exactly why, but I find myself very interested when he's onscreen. In fact, I don't think there's a character that I dislike. I have to give the actress playing Maladie credit...it's difficult to play such a mentally instable character without going compltely over the top.

Overall, there's a lot to work with here, and I'm curious to see where the showrunners (now minus Whedon) will go with it.

Um, I don't think it's premiering in a month.

They shot in the second half of last year but apparently haven't announced plans of when to premiere yet.

Haven't seen it in any of the promos either so it may not be until at least a couple of months into next year.

On 11/15/2022 at 10:04 PM, StarBrand said:

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/werewolf-by-night-laura-donnelly-wants-to-stay-in-mcu/

"Donnelly’s other major genre outing – the HBO dark fantasy series The Nevers – will finally air the second half of its premiere season this December, according to the actress, but with the future of that show unclear beyond that, now might be the time for Donnelly to make her mark in the MCU."

Donnelly is also in Britannia- she is a busy lady. I figure that's why the character Jenny was recast on Outlander.