Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: 35% of Allied Harness and Sling LTD, $3,000,000

• Start Topic

After upsetting Marina, Tom tries to help out more around the house. While Sarah tries to find temporary employment, she and Denise worry their son will be corrupted after Kelvin decides he wants to learn all about Uncle Connor’s business.

Original airdate: 5/5/21

It's just weird that Topher Grace's character is a novelist and it seems he lacks any insight whatsoever in human (or his own) behavior.  He seems to always say the wrong thing in every situation.  He needs a kid to tell him that his wife is doing 100 things while he does nothing.  Clueless.

• Love 2

I think the problem with Tom (and with Sarah) is that they both are moral elitists and think only their thoughts and feelings are correct and that matter. So if Tom wasn't thinking/feeling something why would his wife be?  Essentially they're self centered jerks (IMHO).

I'm not a proponent of physical violence but if Sarah grabbed a phone out of my hand and hung up on person I was speaking to.... I would strongly be considering changing my stance on that.   I liked seeing Denise hanging out with Connor.  It looked like she was actually having fun being away from Sarah's morality cop purview.  Connor is the only one I'd hang out with. Not because of his money but because you can actually relax around him and not be judged if you say the wrong word or want to wear a wedding dress or whatever.  

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, jmonique said:

I usually don't mind Tom, but all his talk about "helping out" and "watching" his own kids annoyed the hell out of me.

He was acting like a little kid who's proud of himself for helping out with chores. Annoying but not unrealistic for some folks, unfortunately. 

I know some folks were annoyed that they borrowed money from Connor instead of the wife going back to work. But I can see why she hasn't. I don't see her husband being able to manage the household. Depending on the type of law she practices, the firms are mostly the same. But maybe they can find some middle ground like a part-time sitter while the husband writes, or contract work for the wife, etc. 

4 hours ago, I Want My MBTV said:

I'm not a proponent of physical violence but if Sarah grabbed a phone out of my hand and hung up on person I was speaking to.... I would strongly be considering changing my stance on that.   I liked seeing Denise hanging out with Connor.  It looked like she was actually having fun being away from Sarah's morality cop purview.  Connor is the only one I'd hang out with. Not because of his money but because you can actually relax around him and not be judged if you say the wrong word or want to wear a wedding dress or whatever.  

Connor is officially my favorite sibling! I like that he's not just the rich one. He and Denise were cute together and they were learning from each other, plus the kids were 100% into it before Sarah showed how rude she can be. She's worried about Connor teaching the kids bad ways but that wasn't acceptable behavior at al. And I love the way Connor taught the nephew the value of working smarter. 

• Love 4

Why is Denise even married to Sarah? She seems to hate her (and not without reason, as Sarah is brutal). 

It was nice seeing her do something other than tell Sarah how much she sucks (which she does). 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, jmonique said:

I usually don't mind Tom, but all his talk about "helping out" and "watching" his own kids annoyed the hell out of me.

I hated this episode so much that I've deleted the series from my DVR. They not only went out of their way to show him as a complete asshole in that regard, but then they showed him "killing it" on his first try AND his wife being annoyed about it. Sarah is also awful. I just don't like these people and it really is a good question to ask about why Sarah and Denise are together. I don't like shows where the couples are either both terrible people or one of them is terrible and the other either suffers in silence or snarks on them all the time. It's draining in real life and I don[t need more of that on TV.

• Love 6
On 5/6/2021 at 8:59 AM, sugarbaker design said:

It's just weird that Topher Grace's character is a novelist and it seems he lacks any insight whatsoever in human (or his own) behavior.  He seems to always say the wrong thing in every situation.  He needs a kid to tell him that his wife is doing 100 things while he does nothing.  Clueless.

Also weird that the character who is a therapist acts impulsively and is so judgmental.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 5/6/2021 at 11:21 PM, Brian Cronin said:

Why is Denise even married to Sarah? She seems to hate her

I think the same thing about Marina and Tom, as well.  I have yet to see anything that makes me think that the Marina & Denise even like their partner, let alone love them.  But I would agree with Denise, Sarah is a horrible person.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I think the same thing about Marina and Tom, as well.  I have yet to see anything that makes me think that the Marina & Denise even like their partner, let alone love them.  But I would agree with Denise, Sarah is a horrible person.

Yeah, there's definitely a similar vibe with Marina and Tom. I just think it's less ever-present as the Denise/Sarah deal, where literally EVERY episode is just Denise telling us how awful Sarah is (and being right, but still). 

• Love 1

Denise'  exasperation with her spouse takes the verbal form so it is more noticeable.  Marina's is non verbal since she always seems to be drunk or drinking to numb her pain.

I like both the spouses much better than the Tom or Sarah. And don't see how either one of them married or found their partner.  Both sets feel really mismatched.  I frankly don;t see how either Tom or Sarah pulled either Marina or Denise.

And yes Connor is the most interesting sib and I enjoyed the scenes at his house and all their wheeling and dealing.

I like this show it is easy to watch

I was glad they talked about why Marina didn't go back to work and that they are possibly setting things up for her to go back at some point.  It was good that they had at least a few throwaway lines about how brutal the hours can be for a lawyer in a prestigious firm.  If she wants to work though there are other ways she can be a lawyer and avoid that so kudos for them mentioning that as a potential for this character.  Up to now all she seems to do is drink.

I like the show in general, but I really wish they weren’t portraying Marina as defensive and feeling badly about being a stay at home mom.  That’s a legitimate job and I would love to see more stay at home moms portrayed in the media who actually enjoy being wives and mothers and don’t apologize for it.  I guess now I am the defensive one - after working at my career for 20 years I left it to become a stay at home mom and wife.  This is legit the hardest job I’ve ever had (and I worked pretty hard before and long hours) and there’s no fucking way I’m feeling badly about it.  It’s hard as shit, but I enjoy it.  Even though I do miss my carreer and adult time, I wouldn’t trade it or apologize for being “just” a mom.  I kind of wish it had been played that way a little more.

Other than that, it’s good!

• Love 2