Type keyword(s) to search

Physical - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

On 6/24/2022 at 1:14 PM, DakotaJustice said:

Bad idea for Sheila to  have Bunny sub for her while she's recovering.  

It doesn't make any sense to have Bunny promote a workout video she's not in. I don't understand why the guy distributing the videos (Kevin's father) would go for it.

I also don't understand how Tyler knows about Sheila and Breem. So far he's been played as a dim bulb who's stoned most of the time. Where does this sudden savvy come from?

On 6/24/2022 at 9:03 AM, QQQQ said:

I remember being amazed at the miracle that was (and still is!) the dry erase board. Is warms my heart to see it's still on dorm residence hall 😅 must-have lists four decades on.

Come to think of it… I had a smaller one on my dorm room door in the late ‘70s so why was it presented in the show like it was some new invention?

Bunny and Tyler are so dumb. They decide to blackmail Sheila instead of Breem because they don‘t want to hurt Breem’s wife and kids. Hey, idiots: that’s precisely the reason Breem is more likely to pay them off for the tape. Not to mention $25k is probably nothing to him. And they are either forgetting or just don’t care that Sheila also has a kid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

These half hour episodes are just not working. The story barely gets any movement and the screen goes to black. I like this show, I love Rose Byrne but Apple really made a mistake not making these hour long OR releasing all eps at once. So little happens in each ep that I’m having a hard time being invested in this story. Move it along Apple, move it along!! 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, sadie said:

These half hour episodes are just not working. The story barely gets any movement and the screen goes to black. I like this show, I love Rose Byrne but Apple really made a mistake not making these hour long OR releasing all eps at once. So little happens in each ep that I’m having a hard time being invested in this story. Move it along Apple, move it along!! 

Right? I was shocked when I saw that we are more than halfway through the season and literally nothing significant has happened yet. And I really don't think we will get a third season for them to be taking their sweet time like this. The show is not doing that well.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:27 PM, CarpeFelis said:

Bunny and Tyler are so dumb. They decide to blackmail Sheila instead of Breem because they don‘t want to hurt Breem’s wife and kids. Hey, idiots: that’s precisely the reason Breem is more likely to pay them off for the tape. Not to mention $25k is probably nothing to him. And they are either forgetting or just don’t care that Sheila also has a kid.

I don’t think it’s the money as much as sheer hatred for Sheila on Bunny’s part. 
Bunny blames Sheila for all her misfortune even though a lot of it is of her own making. Breem was already aware that Bunny and Tyler were squatting/living in the back of their space in the mall so he was probably ready to evict them. Bunny still could have taught her classes at Body by Bunny as Sheila isn’t teaching in person classes -at least not yet.  The video company was only interested in Sheila, not Bunny. 

• Love 1

Did I understand correctly that Sheila addressed the tape she got form Bunny and Tyler to her distributor so that he would drop her and she would be able to do all the things she wanted, like infomercials? Last episode he made a point of telling her how "family oriented" his company is.

Not a bad move, but also risky if the tape gets into the wrong hands. (Although we know from the flash-forwards that she makes it big, so obviously the tape didn't ruin her image.)

• Love 1

What a weird episode. Once more the show moves at a very slow pace. I did feel bad for Danny, he was really trying to be there for Sheila in this episode but it's too late.

I have to say this show is losing me. I think that Sheila's surgery and time out of aerobics was a big mistake storywise. Especially when coupled with her affair because both of those storylines are preventing the main plot from going forwards. I'm here for a show about a woman who loves aerobics and builds a career out of it, but she's not doing any aerobics. And even when she did in the first few episodes it was nothing but pain for her. I don't need to show to be all bright coloured 80s leotards and exercising. I liked the first season and all of her personal drama. Her years of trauma and her unhealthy coping methods. Her poor marriage, her dissatisfaction, her self-loathing and even her nasty thoughts about the often nice people around her.

But it's now just become overly grim with nothing to lighten the mood. No release and satisfaction from her workouts. No seeing her drive to succeed with a media career just her career stalling in the background while she buries her dad, deals with her mother, recovers from surgery and maintains a joyless seeming affair of rough sex with an emotionally stunted man. Watching it feels like a chore and the moments that could lighten it, with Bunny and Greta etc, just feel forced into the episodes to be funny rather than real parts of the story.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Of all the plots/story lines, the one that I'm least invested in is Sheila's lover and anything related to his family. It just falls flat for me.

• Love 2

I like the plot development of Sheila sabotaging herself to get out of a bad contract but it makes me wonder why they introduced this business deal in the first place since they haven’t done much with it narratively anyway. Everything she’s done with them still seems like stuff she could have done on her own. I’m also a little torn because it will push her more into the orbit of Murray Bartlett’s character, who I’m not enjoying. Probably all moot because I seriously doubt this will get a third season. 

• Applause 1
7 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

I’m also a little torn because it will push her more into the orbit of Murray Bartlett’s character, who I’m not enjoying.

I assume they based his character on Richard Simmons, but he doesn’t have Richard’s earnest charm.

I have to agree that this season isn’t delivering on the promise of last season. 
I rewatched the first season multiple times. Loved the subplot of the election even though Jerry was insufferable. At least his character had closure.  The one time this season we’ve seen Sheila teach (at the fair, I think was the only time so far if memory serves?) she was tentative and subdued. What a contrast to last season’s finale episode where she had so much energy. Granted she had a twisted ovary but what purpose did that subplot even have? I do like that Danny is getting a bit of a redemption arc, in his new role as stay at home Dad. 
I haven’t rewatched any of S2. Like others here I wish they’d get back to the main plot - Sheila’s career.  Now that Bunny and Ty have their $25k, maybe they can vanish into the sunset so we can focus on the meat and potatoes. 

• Love 1

OK, I still think Danny’s a schmuck, but I did enjoy the scene where he joined in with Sheila doing aerobics.

And the Breems’ prayer intervention was creepy as hell (no pun intended). I’m just disappointed we didn’t get to see Sheila run away screaming.

• Love 2

This episode was quite interesting.

Spoiler

They improve her relationship with Danny when from the promotional material we know they will have a serious fight that leads to divorce, and they ruin her relationship with Greta when we also know they will go in business together and they will be friends just as before.

Breem's wife got over that cheating admission real quick. But I guess you don't have many options when you just gave birth to a brand new child.

8 hours ago, Harvey said:

Breem's wife got over that cheating admission real quick. But I guess you don't have many options when you just gave birth to a brand new child.

She comes across as such a Stepford wife. The three wives in Big Love all had more personality.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode. I went to bed and woke up with “Destination Unknown” still in my head. They do a brilliant job picking the best of the 80s music. “It’s My Life” is one of my all time favorite songs.

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't understand having a college fund when whatshisface Danny hasn't had a job in however long, and Sheila's supposedly keeping them afloat selling video tapes at the fair? I'm probably projecting, but in theory, I'm about the same age Maya would be. My birth father left when I was five, but no way could my mother had survived raising us on intermittent income. And I sure as hell didn't have college savings.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I can't understand having a college fund when whatshisface hasn't had a job in however long, and Sheila's supposedly keeping them afloat selling video tapes at the fair? I'm probably projecting, but in theory, I'm about the same age Maya would be. My birth father left when I was five, but no way could my mother had survived raising us on intermittent income. And I sure as hell didn't have college savings.

Sheila made a lot of money already. Remember she was able to buy that expensive bag for Greta. She wouldn't have done that unless it was well within her budget. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Harvey said:

Sheila made a lot of money already. Remember she was able to buy that expensive bag for Greta. She wouldn't have done that unless it was well within her budget. 

Hm I actually assumed she stole the bag since it was the same episode where Danny read that bulimia could lead to kleptomania (??)

• Love 2
On 7/17/2022 at 2:10 AM, bilgistic said:

Yeah, I assumed the same thing. It looked like an Hermès Birkin bag. Wikipedia tells me the bag was "introduced" in 1984. It cost $2000 then.

That bag isn’t a Birkin. 

(edited)

How well known was bulimia/anorexia in the early 80s? Greta's reaction to Sheila's confession was just so awful and selfish that I was taken aback by it. But I'm guessing that as this is before Karen Carpenter's death, which I remember as the thing that brought about public awareness of anorexia, maybe Greta isn't really aware that what Sheila has told her she has, is a potentially very serious illness. Otherwise, just shouting at her for being a fraud was just so unbelievably horrible. It really goes to show that Greta isn't all that great a friend herself, she has an idea of Sheila in her head and gets angry with her for not being that person. Especially when Sheila has never even claimed that aerobics makes her so slim - she always talks about how it makes her feel.

Edited by AllyB

The best aspect of this show is Sheila's self-hate and inner monolouge, and this episode was a real treat from that standpoint. Her breakdown at the end was just glorius, I re-watched 3 times right on the spot. I also really liked how Mr.Green got the truth out of her with the rapid fire  questions, that scene was very well-shot.

Great episode.

46 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

Can’t  wait to see what happens next week now that Danny knows Sheila didn’t check into rehab.

And also that her affair was with Breem - that's why he went to see her in the first place.

• Love 1

I didn't understand the scene of Danny listening to the tape and then storming into the ocean. I suppose it was just a way to keep Tyler and Bunny on the show.

This show is kind-of all over the place but I still enjoy it.

If Murray Bartlett’s character is based on Richard Simmons, then is the controlling wife actually based on the housekeeper who allegedly controls Simmons? 

Strange episode in a fairly strange season. I think they meant the part where Vinnie angrily throws the merch at the supplier as a callback of sorts to the flash forward where Sheila throws her Walkman at an underling before the cameras roll.

23 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

If Murray Bartlett’s character is based on Richard Simmons, then is the controlling wife actually based on the housekeeper who allegedly controls Simmons?

I think the character was inspired by Richard Simmons, but that’s where most of the similarities end.

I just watched the season 2 trailer again to see what was teased that hasn't happened yet - the only thing I could spot was Sheila mentioning 'her' business and Danny countering with 'actually, it's half my business.' I don't think that happened? But I'm not sure what else can happen, other than reconciling with Greta, given where things are currently. I remember having a similar lack of clarity at this point last season, being unsure of what they've been building to.

3 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

I just watched the season 2 trailer again to see what was teased that hasn't happened yet - the only thing I could spot was Sheila mentioning 'her' business and Danny countering with 'actually, it's half my business.' I don't think that happened? But I'm not sure what else can happen, other than reconciling with Greta, given where things are currently. I remember having a similar lack of clarity at this point last season, being unsure of what they've been building to.

Danny will want a divorce, Sheila will make up with Greta and they go into business together and start creating prototypes for sports equipment.

Critics said that the final episode of the season is very amazing, and Sheila's self-deprecating monolouge is back in full force, so I think something very bad will happen in the season finale.

(edited)

Arriving late to this topic and only halfway through S1...it seems very clear to me from the beginning that Sheila's story is largely modeled on Jane Fonda's (except for being a successful, very famous, and widely admired, sometimes pilloried, actress). Fonda's 1981 releases (LP and videotape) were huge early successes in the genre and unlike their forebears, aimed at helping women develop *strength* as well as toning. I think that's the crucial point. Even more germane to the story, I had read before that Fonda had learned her routines from another, less famous person with a studio - Wikipedia gives her name as Leni Cazden - and they went on to work together developing the routines Fonda made famous. Also germane: Fonda suffered from bulemia. Just as Sheila doesn't have Fonda's acting success, her husband doesn't have Tom Hayden's much higher and better respected profile as an activist.

Here's more detail on those early days for Fonda and Cazden: https://www.vintag.es/2020/12/jane-fonda-workout.html

Fonda's book for women on aging mentions that she'd always done ballet, but it didn't make her sweat (which I believe Sheila also mentions), and, as the article says, exercise classes at the time were designed for men..

Edited by wendyg
adding a bit more detail
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Well...that was an okay ending. The show continues to move at a snail's pace. What was that about the mormons extorting Tyler and Bunnie? The show creators must be pretty confident about a renewal to leave things like this.

6 hours ago, Harvey said:

Well...that was an okay ending. The show continues to move at a snail's pace. What was that about the mormons extorting Tyler and Bunnie? The show creators must be pretty confident about a renewal to leave things like this.

I don’t get it either about the Mormons extorting Tyler and Bunnie. They didn’t get so much money that it would build a Mormon temple or anything.

Really hoping Sheila finds some way to keep Danny from getting half her business. He probably does technically have a legal right but she’s right, he hasn’t put any work into it so why should he get to profit from it, especially after the way he treated her as his bangmaid for years? Plus I just freaking hate him and his self-righteousness.

I’m guessing Breem will advise her to do something like create a shell corporation and sell the business to it before it starts making a big profit. Then Danny only gets half the proceeds from that sale. Other “creative” methods might involve threatening to get full custody of Maya unless he signs something agreeing to leave the business alone. Or Breem sending some goons after him. Wouldn’t be the first time we see something underhanded on this show!

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

He probably does technically have a legal right but she’s right, he hasn’t put any work into it so why should he get to profit from it, especially after the way he treated her as his bangmaid for years?

California is a community property state. Women do the same to men who are sometimes the only ones who ever worked a day in their lives. As a married couple, all earnings are split evenly, no matter who put in the labor.  Divorcing wives with husbands who are doctors, lawyers, professors - they all expect their share even though their husbands were the ones who spent years in school and did all of the work. Sheila would be doing the same if the roles were reversed.

ETA - seeing the steps made me wistful. Step aerobics is one of the great loves of my life. It’s the only exercise I really truly loved and excelled at. Now it’s almost impossible to find step classes. Zumba is a poor substitute! I’m surprised that steps were sold before the mid-80s though (soundtrack puts the last episode about 1984), because I didn’t take my first step class until 1990 or so.

Edited by Cinnabon
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

ETA - seeing the steps made me wistful. Step aerobics is one of the great loves of my life. It’s the only exercise I really truly loved and excelled at. Now it’s almost impossible to find step classes. Zumba is a poor substitute! I’m surprised that steps were sold before the mid-80s though (soundtrack puts the last episode about 1984), because I didn’t take my first step class until 1990 or so.

Same. I remember having a step and started out with Cher’s step video, which came out in 1991, before taking any live classes.

• Love 1