Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: The F Word

OOOKAYY.

I hope Josh's manager squeeze decides to come back - they have a great vibe.
Quinn, I feel like someone hired the Nashville writing crew again. I know the show was this weird side-vibe with over the top stories that started with Kelsey's fiance meeting a steel beam, but her mind games on top of everything else is a lot. I've leant into Team Charles for the better part of the show, but now I want Liza and Kelsey to leave that cursed publishing house of his.

No point in getting worked up over the timeline. Of course Quinn's book is ready to be published and Inkubator went from inception to full on success within 10 minutes.

I love Redmond. He and his quickfire comments are the perfect condiment for this show.

Are the actors doing their own make up?

• Love 7

Yikes, Liza's first look was awful in every way from the pulled back Heidi hair to the pussy bow and the dress made of fabric that looked like wallpaper in a boudoir bathroom.

Sorry, Josh, I don't buy that you've tried to tell your bang buddy that you have a kid "so many times." It's one sentence so just spit it out! I'm fine with KT deciding that an instafamily wasn't for her. They barely know each other and all they've done is have sex when she was in town. No big loss for either of them.

Ha, I had to laugh when Liza asked if they should advertise Inkubator on a Facebook group and Lauren freaked out.

So Inkubator is a much smaller version of The Moth or Mortified?

I like Maggie and I'm glad that she's getting something to do besides hang out with Liza, but I am not interested in this storyline with her boss's wife. It's just a matter of time before this blows up in her face

I was going to ask how Maggie didn't already know about air drop, but I guess now that Liza is no longer providing the weekly "old person doesn't know about young people stuff," they're putting that on Maggie.

I thought Charles was so passionate about publishing and finding new authors, but suddenly he's content to just let the board in Chicago dictate EVERY book that gets published? A publishing house is like a record label - you have to keep bringing in new talent. You can't just rely on the big hit makers to be your cash cows because they could die or leave when their contract is up or just run out of good ideas. But I guess that's what they need to convince Liza and Kelsey to eventually leave and start their own publishing house.

I wish they hadn't taken Quinn down this road. In previous seasons, she was shown to be smart, funny, capable, driven, and personable. Now she's such a soap opera villain that she's practically twirling her mustache.

I miss Diana and her giant necklaces.

• Love 10

I would have loved to have seen Diana tangle with Quinn. I bet she would have put the smackdown on her, too, in defense of Liza. Liza will probably eventually do it herself but she'll do it in such a dignified and high-road kind of way it won't be as fun.

• Love 5

I know this show is leaning into Quinn being awful but I am not biting.  It's completely possible she likes Charles and needs to be married for her political career.  Younger has always dealt with the complexities of women in the workforce.  This is one of them, being in politics women have to have a perfect image.  Men get to be Lindsey Graham, single forever.  

Yes to Liza and Chelsey leaving.

• Love 4

I can't deal with Charles this season. He's treating Liza like shit with this break-up. Like it's not like they broke up because she did something terrible to him. They just wanted different things. But he's acting like she crossed him. "Stay out of my personal life!" Dude, chill the hell out and act like a human being? I swear if she goes back to him without him being extremely apologetic, I will lose it. he's being the worst. And I was always Team Charles. 

• Love 7

I don't like the way they're writing Charles now.  It doesn't make sense or flow from what has happened that he should suddenly be so downright nasty to Liza.  How could he turn from Dr. Jekyl into Mr. Hyde in a few episodes?  It is hurtful to all of us that thought Charles was a little boring but at heart a solid guy that really loved Liza.  Now he just seems like a mean asshole that is easily taken in by a piranha like Quinn.  He didn't even wait 5 minutes and suddenly he's THIS involved with her?  I'm not buying that she's squeaky clean.  She acts too much like a narcissist that's doing everything for herself.  I think her Liza setup was a smoke screen to throw them off from her real motives and make Liza look bad.  Someone that can do something that devious is not up to any good.  I can only hope that she gets exposed somehow and that it will wake Charles up.  The problem is that even if he does wake up will Liza ever be able to trust him if he wants her back?  I wouldn't blame her if she didn't - and it pains me to say that.  Why the show had to do this is beyond me.

I felt that this episode made it look entirely possible that Liza might end up back with Josh.  At this point there's neither of them have anyone standing in the way.  There are other issues but at least he doesn't have his head up his ass.  The way this show flips around from week to week you never know.  I am still not team Josh, though.  I am realizing the show may be going for her ending up with neither of them, which actually would be a letdown considering the way it set up the audience to want her to end up with one or the other of these guys.

• Love 5

I'm waiting for the inevitable "I knew y'all had sex" from Janeane Garofalo about her wife to Maggie because that's a trope about queer people (they're unfaithful/promiscuous) and I've watched TV before. It's boring and Maggie deserves better.

• Love 2

So is it going to turn out that the professor and her wife are into some weird sexy role playing with Maggie and they are both totally in on this? If so I feel bad for Maggie, and if not I feel bad for the professor. She seems fun and quirky while her wife seems pretty terrible. 

Why are they writing Charles like such an asshole all of the sudden? Charles was often kind of boring, but he was mostly a good guy who had some faults but loved Liza and felt like a mature adult. I was always more on Team Charles and I was even kind of on his side with the break up. Now he's acting like a pissy twelve year old who's mad that Liza didn't pass him his "Do You Like Me" note back to him, it almost feels like its he's reacting to a different break up then the one we saw. It seemed like a pretty amicable split but now he's acting so scorned that he is even tossing her book proposals out just because he cant stand looking at her. That or because he and his board are idiots who wont take on any new books out of stubbornness and refusal to nurture new talent. Putting a lot of money into proven hit makers makes sense, but if you make that much money with them then you can invest in newer or more niche books that can either grow in popularity or expand the brand. Totally focusing on your cozy novels and James Pattersons seems short sighted. Also, a show where Betty White solves crimes in a quaint village on the east coast sounds awesome, way more entertaining then this show is a lot of the time.

Quinn has really gone full soap opera villain apparently. It actually would be interesting if Quinn had talked to Charles about her needing a family for her political career but also that she likes him a lot and he was cool with. 

They are definitely setting up Liza and Kelsey to go and start their own publishing house to end the show. 

• Love 5
On 4/29/2021 at 8:34 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I like Maggie and I'm glad that she's getting something to do besides hang out with Liza, but I am not interested in this storyline with her boss's wife. It's just a matter of time before this blows up in her face

It's such a disappointing storyline.  I was appalled at Lauren's comment along the lines of 'wasn't it the goal to get the boss's wife jealous', and that it was presented as fun.  It is destroying a marriage, jeopardizing her art career, and being cruel to her boss, but Lauren's comment paints it as a harmless lark.  If I were Maggie, after having received those pictures, and knowing that the boss's wife thinks so little of me as to put me in such a horrible position, I would be so disgusted that I would make an excuse to leave.  Her job is new enough, and she doesn't depend on it for her livelihood, that she can afford to lose it on her own terms, which is decidedly not what it will be once the boss finds out.

• Love 5

With so few episodes left, I have to wonder why the writers thought this was a good way to handle the final season.  They could have coasted into home with a feel-good season and not put us through more gut wrenching overdone drah-ma.  Liza and Kelsey could have gone out on their own on good terms with Charles, not because he has suddenly become a hump about everything.  Charles and Liza could have progressed in the direction they were already going in with maybe a few hiccups and Quinn-like threats that never really broke them up.  They didn't have to worry about the show getting cancelled or anything, so why do this?  We've all just had the worst year ever, we didn't need our little feel-good show to feel like it's turning into yet one more disappointment to add to a pretty huge pile. 

I just hate it when shows leave you on tenterhooks in the final season and then wrap everything up in the last episode so fast and awkwardly your head spins, but it looks like that's the way this is going.  I can see it now, Liza will be flip flopping all the way to the last episode when suddenly her future regarding her love life will become crystal clear.  Either she'll end up with one of the two men or with neither and find success in her career.  In the last 5 minutes of the final episode shell get a phone call from one of them and we'll be able to imagine what happens after that.  Blech.  This seems to be the way they wrap up a lot of shows these days.  Examples include "Crazy Ex Girlfriend" and "God Friended Me".  Very disappointing.

• Love 4

I should feel sorry for Liza but she set herself up for that one. It was mentioned that Quinn had hired a third-party fact checker. She could have followed up on that first and then decide if there's stuff she needs to double-check. Also: check your sources.

I find it hard to root for Kelsey and Liza after all that dissing of solid cozy mysteries. Those are normally the workhorses that bring in the bucks so that publishers have the money to invest in more risky projects. But of course mid-lit is beneath these two. But not a picture-book of sexual positions with funny names inspired by surfer lingo. And of course a unicorn writer just waltzes into Inkubator the first week/evening. 

The less is said about Maggie's plot the better.

Since the writing for Charles has become so horrible and Josh is single again I do wonder if the show's really going there. I would not mind because it's not the conventional ending. But I would also settle for Liza pulling a Kelly.

• Love 4
On 5/1/2021 at 7:35 PM, MissLucas said:

I find it hard to root for Kelsey and Liza after all that dissing of solid cozy mysteries. Those are normally the workhorses that bring in the bucks so that publishers have the money to invest in more risky projects. But of course mid-lit is beneath these two.

It was more that cozy mysteries was all Charles wanted to focus on because they were (supposedly) safe moneymakers.. He wasn't willing to take chances anymore. 

On 4/30/2021 at 12:48 PM, tennisgurl said:

It actually would be interesting if Quinn had talked to Charles about her needing a family for her political career but also that she likes him a lot and he was cool with. 

If it were just Charles I'd be okay with it, but his daughters deserve better than a sham family.

Josh's girlfriend sees baby diapers in the laundry basket-the Pampers kind, not cloth-and her mind immediately goes to kinky sex??  And did she use a few of the diapers to make her big one, or did she go to the Bodega and get some adult diapers?

The Maggie threesome subplot-hasn't this one been done before?  This show should drop all of the forays into sex.  The sex scenes are cringe-worthy whether gay or straight.  

This show has lazy writing at best, and that hasn't changed since the first season.  Bad acting abounds, too, especially in this last season.  I don't think Meryl Streep could do much better with these scripts.  Miss Piggy would be storming off the set, demanding re-writes.  I would be mortified to have spent 7 seasons associated with this show.  I kind of hate-watch the show, and am always hopeful that more of a modern-day Mary Tyler Moore will emerge from Sutton's performances, but I think there's too much Broadway in Sutton.  I hope Sutton will move on to a series worthy of her considerable talents.  Younger should have been much better for its 7 seasons.  Thank God it's cancelled.  And please God be merciful and don't let that awful daughter of Liza make an appearance in the last episodes. Save us from her, and Claire, too.  

On 4/30/2021 at 11:35 PM, Yeah No said:

With so few episodes left, I have to wonder why the writers thought this was a good way to handle the final season.  They could have coasted into home with a feel-good season and not put us through more gut wrenching overdone drah-ma. 

Not sure about the time-line, but I wonder if Darren Starr was preoccupied with the SATC re-boot.  It's been a long time since a show has fallen apart like this in its final season. But it was time to wrap this up anyways. As another poster stated elsewhere the entire cast, even Kelsey, look much more, uh, mature now. Looking closely at Liza with my unforgiving, HD, big screen TV, it's hard to imagine now that she could ever passed for 26.  "Younger" indeed. Guess the concept was never meant to last much longer than it has, although SF is still holding up really well.

Edited by Winston Wolfe

I watched this show early on and then forgot about it, and now have just started watching it again. Maybe it's lack of background, but I intensely dislike the Quinn character. Is she supposed to have redeeming qualities I'm missing? She reminds me of an old girlfriend of a friend - smart, pretty, successful, and devoid of any ability to care about anyone but herself. She once said that friends are people you can use.

• Love 1