Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Episode 1

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Makes it awkward though because Lucille in particular is so picture perfect, its hard to like her. 

It's hard to like her? really?  i love this character!

but i love sister monica joan too and want her to stay and i guess i am in the minority

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, cinsays said:

but i love sister monica joan too and want her to stay and i guess i am in the minority

Oh I love Sister  Monica Joan, too.  I can see why some people might find her irritating, but I like her slightly off beat view of things.  Her brain has become unreliable for ordinary chores and she can't stay focused long, but that's often where the wisdom pops up.  She's the one who recognized cystic fibrosis  from something she had read long ago, she saw the value in television as a means to keep them connected with the changing culture and she knew just how to help Nurse Miller after her attack.

I'm not sure, but isn't it part of dementia to return to childish behavior from time to time?  My father had some level of dementia for at least ten years before he had to go into assisted living.  We checked on him frequently and he managed to live alone.  His over 150 IQ was still there when he was painting one of his watercolors or talking about certain subjects,  but all of a sudden he wouldn't understand how his furnace worked or he would think the people on TV were talking to him.

I don't see her as an unfair burden at the house.  That's been her fulltime home and family since she joined.  We don't refuse to care for ill family members even if our day job involves caring for others. Teachers don't refuse to help their kids with homework.  In any case it's a burden shared by the whole group, so I don't think it's ruining life for any one person.

From my own entertainment stand point, I like having a few characters who were there from the  start, she brings a little continuity for me.  

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

From my own entertainment stand point, I like having a few characters who were there from the  start, she brings a little continuity for me.  

I do, too. I don't  have the same issues as others since she often comes through with an insight missed by others.  Her tender care of Nurse Miller is a great example.

34 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

We don't refuse to care for ill family members even if our day job involves caring for others.

Spot on.  And these are the only family she has left.  As nuns, I believe they are following the tenants of their religion to "do unto others".

I also have no issue with Lucille.  Not everyone needs to show outward passion, some people are just more reticent. I realize it doesn't make the best TV viewing but it is realistic especially considering her upbringing and the church she attends.

No matter what, I am so grateful for my hour reprieve from the world every Sunday night!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

It's hard to like her? really?  i love this character!

I wouldn't say I loved Lucille or Sister Monica Joan, but I like them very much, even when MJ annoys.  And I like Sister Julienne who is pretty drama free, some might even say dull.

Actually, I like all the characters. The only one that grates on me a tiny bit is Trixie, but she has plenty of redeeming features. She must remind me of someone.  My favorite is Phyllis.

I don't see anything wrong in Lucille's relationship with Cyril. I think they seem like a good couple, and while their celibacy isn't my cup of tea, I the depiction of their relationship is fine, given their backgrounds and religious beliefs. I don't think they're chemistry free. I mean, that sexy dance Lucille was dancing in the apartment before the church ladies arrived, and the look on Cyril's face seemed full of chemistry to me.

• Love 5

On 10/8/2021 at 10:24 PM, caitmcg said:

My mother went to public school in New York, graduating from high school in 1961, and had to wear skirts for the entirety of her pre-college education. This was also before full-length tights or hose existed, and she walked to school year-round. 

I wasn't even born in 1961 and had to wear a uniform (a skirt or dress, no trousers allowed) to my state school until I graduated from high school.

18 hours ago, AZChristian said:

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"????  

Most over-rated, poorly written book of the year.

15 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Spot on.  And these are the only family she has left.  As nuns, I believe they are following the tenants of their religion to "do unto others".

I didn't realize that convents allowed tenants, especially if they are doing things "unto others" ;-)

On 10/10/2021 at 9:00 AM, JudyObscure said:

Teachers don't refuse to help their kids with homework. 

Helping a kid with homework is not the same thing as keeping someone with dementia from burning down or blowing up the house, as Sr MJ could have, when she left the pudding on the stove to explode, risking someone else's life and health by screwing up a phone call, as she has, having to care for her after she fell down the stairs or the many times she has been sick, or having to scour the countryside for her after the many times she has run away. The nuns and nurses have 24/7 very stressful jobs. There are many many many people with far less to deal with in their lives these days who can't care for an Alzheimers' patient at home.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, susannah said:

There are many many many people with far less to deal with in their lives these days who can't care for an Alzheimers' patient at home.

There are also families with only one working person to care for a dementia patient who does these things as well.  I should know.  At least at Nonnatus they have more pairs of eyes. 

In the end it's all done with creative license for the show.

• Love 4
On 10/4/2021 at 7:45 AM, Cetacean said:

Correct.

They do the same thing in Jamaica (I spent two years working there), which despite having gained it's independence 59 years ago, still harkens to the British way of doing a lot of things.

• Love 2

The thing I like best about Lucille is her compassion. The way she calls patients "Precious," and instinctively knows how to comfort them. (Like when Val's grandmother died.)

I'm also not too bothered about Cyril getting a "church" apartment. One of the things we've seen over the last few seasons is that a LOT of old houses in Poplar are being pulled down, and there are people who can't get another place (either a Council flat, or in another building.)

As for Sister Monica Joan, perhaps another head of the house would send her up to the Mother House for the rest of her days, but clearly, keeping her at Nonnatus is very important to Sister Julienne. And we've learned she grew up in a posh family, but was not well-loved there. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

The thing I like best about Lucille is her compassion. The way she calls patients "Precious,"

I hate this. I know she means it sincerely, but if someone called me that in a medical situation, I'd feel patronized.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, kwnyc said:

The thing I like best about Lucille is her compassion. The way she calls patients "Precious," and instinctively knows how to comfort them. (Like when Val's grandmother died.)

I like it too.

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I hate this. I know she means it sincerely, but if someone called me that in a medical situation, I'd feel patronized.

I understand -in general, in real life, I don't like to hear them. I particularly hate being called dear by younger people, or when my doctor says "nn years young." Nope, I'm not young. Old. (I did stop her from saying that) I don't like "sweetie" which Trixie uses.

But for some reason Lucille's precious seems fine to me, because it seems to be from her heart maybe?

• Love 3