Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: A Decent Proposal

As Diana sets out on her honeymoon, Liza considers Charles's proposal. Kelsey turns Quinn down, but some speed bumps in her personal and professional life make Kelsey doubt herself. Lauren's 30th is out of this world.

Original air date: 4/15/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Good grief.
I expected some twists to get them from last season's cliffhanger and through the obstacle course that was shooting their swann song, but woah. So many scenes that felt ooc.
Of course Lauren immediately runs to show Josh the video, and Josh's little 'we're always us' speech - dude, grow up.

On a VERY superficial note: all hail the make-up artists. I think its fair to assume that they had to make do with a smaller team than usual because they all look noticably older now and less fresh. Exhausted, actually. Which suits the theme of the girls slowly aging out of the hip age bracket.

The scene with Lauren and the necklace in the drawer was priceless though. And Quinn was spot on with her assessment of Kelsey. And in my opinion they way the Liza/Charles breakup went was pretty much true to what their relationship was - they both thought is was what they wanted, but they never realised that they want different things. I just hope that they didn't put the 'you can propose to me' in to have Liza get down on one knee in the very last episode.
Bring on Charles and Quinn.

Edited by Aulty
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

So Zane broke up with Kelsey because his fragile ego couldn't handle being with someone who's more successful? Okay then.

I totally loved the conversation about Little Women. I'm with Kelsey - I still don't get why Jo didn't marry Laurie either. Lauren made me laugh when she said that Jo got her punishment when she ended up with Professor Bhaer. Jane may officially be my new favorite author on this show for sending him on a space walk and having him DIE.

Kelsey and Lauren's makeup was especially egregious in this episode. Lauren looked like a ghost who dipped her face in baby powder and Kelsey looked like she'd gone overboard with the bronzer. It was especially distracting in the closeup shots.

I had to laugh when Kelsey said she would be turning 30 next and lamented to Liza about how "we" were blah blah blah. Apparently she's conveniently forgotten that 30 is already in Liza's rearview mirror.

What was Lauren's official job with Diana last season? Whatever it was, it in no way qualified her to be the interim director of communications at a publishing house while Diana was on her honeymoon, so having her take over Diana's job was RIDICULOUS. They really couldn't think of any other way to keep her involved in the plot? Her birthday party wasn't enough?

I can see both points of view in the Liza/Charles situation. If you love each other, then a piece of paper doesn't change anything in your relationship, which is an argument both for and against marriage because if you love each other, you'll love each other with or without that piece of paper. But when one of you really wants that title/designation/legal relationship and the other one doesn't, how can you possibly compromise?

I had to laugh at Charles being so insistent that they had to get married because he's old fashioned. So old fashioned that you propose to another woman while you're still married to your first wife? As Liza pointed out, he isn't even divorced yet. I can never tell what the damn time line is on this show or how much time has passed, but he was fine being in a serious committed relationship with Liza without being married until now but suddenly that isn't enough.

My main takeaway from this episode is that when guys like Zane and Charles don't get their way, they think the only solution is to dump someone. Let's not bother with trying to talk to the other person about the issue. Just BUH BYE.

Despite their stank attitudes, I'm actually happy with this turn of events because Zane sucked (how could Kelsey ever trust him after some of the stuff he did to her?) and I didn't like Liza with Charles. I'd love to have them just kick ass at work and hang out with their friends for the final season instead of more relationship woes, but I know the show thinks we need love triangles and messy relationships.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 8

Oh the horror of realizing your getting older and are no longer the youngest kids at the party, the struggle is real. This show really needs to throw in the towel, its clear that the writers are just going through the motions, but I do think that watching the younger cast like Kelsey hit their thirties when so much of their identity is based around being in their twenties could be interesting. Being in their twenties is literally all they talk about, so what now? 

Little Women in space isn't any more ridiculous than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies I guess. 

I knew that Charles wouldn't go for Liza's "lets choose each other" speech, he was just deflating throughout the whole speech. I knew that Liza and Charles would split up at the start of the season, I cant even pretend to care. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

That felt like a lot of deck-clearing! Weird. And yeah, Kelsey's bronzer was rough. I'm going to miss Diana this season so much, but I'm a completist. 

I don't understand how it's airing. It's airing normally on TV Land, but not yet? But the first 4 are out now on both Hulu and Paramount+, and weekly after that?

• Love 1

I don't think Charles and Liza are over just yet.  This show has a few twists and turns up its sleeve before it's done with them (and us) for sure.  At this point it doesn't look like she's going to end up with anyone but I guess after the year we all just had I'm resigned to it.  If that's the way the show wants to end it it's just another disappointment to add to the pile.  I've gotten used to them by now, but I had been hoping for that romantic ending for several years now.  That seems so frivolous and folorn of me now after the year I just had.  How could I have changed so much in that time?  Don't ask that question, you'll get an earful, not the least of which was losing my father to Covid.  My cold dead heart needs something to live for, even if by now it feels like an unrealistic dream centering around the romantic lives of some fictional characters.  I'm probably even more invested in them now because they are a reminder of what life used to be like in the "before times".  Somehow that's comforting and I don't want to let go of it just yet.  I've already had to let go of too much.  I am happy I have this one last season of them and their quirky unrealistic lives before I have to face reality.

Charles claiming to be "old fashioned" and ending things abruptly - could that have been his hurt ego talking?  I see plenty of opportunity for these two to eventually meet in the middle somewhere after they start missing each other.  The season is young yet.  Maybe it was just me but I felt noticeably more chemistry between them since last season.  And it could have been me again but I felt a more somber tone to the show.  Even the clothes looked a little more toned down.

The cast looks noticeably older but I'm chalking that up to them actually being older since there was obviously a bit of a gap between filming this season and last due to the pandemic.  It wasn't lost on me how that actually tied in with the theme of the episode.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I see plenty of opportunity for these two to eventually meet in the middle somewhere after they start missing each other.  The season is young yet.  Maybe it was just me but I felt noticeably more chemistry between them since last season.  

As usual, I saw plenty of chemistry, except when Charles kisses Liza.  I had been hoping that there had been improvement in that area, but alas, there wasn't.  It's almost like he does those old-fashioned movie kisses where the man dramatically plants his face on the woman's face, but there isn't any real kissing action occurring.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I love Charles and Liza together (mostly because I have a huge crush on Charles) so I'm sad that they broke up and will just wait the rest of the season for them to hopefully get back together. I'm pathetic, I know, but shipping TV couples is the kind of frivolous thing I've been enjoying during covid! I wondered if they were going to do the whole "I Choose Me" thing with Liza at the end, but after so many seasons of so much focus on the romance, that would feel a little flat for me. 

One episode in and I already really miss Diana, she is by far my favorite character. Zane, on the other hand, doesn't feel like much of a loss as I could never quite figure out his character. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, SallyAlbright said:

I love Charles and Liza together (mostly because I have a huge crush on Charles) so I'm sad that they broke up and will just wait the rest of the season for them to hopefully get back together. I'm pathetic, I know, but shipping TV couples is the kind of frivolous thing I've been enjoying during covid! I wondered if they were going to do the whole "I Choose Me" thing with Liza at the end, but after so many seasons of so much focus on the romance, that would feel a little flat for me. 

One episode in and I already really miss Diana, she is by far my favorite character. Zane, on the other hand, doesn't feel like much of a loss as I could never quite figure out his character. 

Yeah, I admit I've had a crush on Charles myself and it's gotten worse with the pandemic, so I match you in the pathetic department.  I was pining away the entire year and only able to get a brief fix of him on Persil commercials, LOL.  Seeing him again like this is just too bittersweet.  So many disappointments and now this....Sigh.  And of course I agree with you about missing Diana too.

• Love 4

The actress who pitched Little Women in Space played Beth to Sutton’s Jo in the Broadway production of LW, which made the whole scene even better. The two of them are very good friends in real life. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 1
On 4/17/2021 at 2:07 AM, SallyAlbright said:

I've always hated Charles and Liza together, but since the last season of Younger I have seen Peter Hermann on Blue Bloods as Bridget Moynahan's lawyer ex-husband and I like his character. I think this is making Charles more tolerable to me, lol. Now, he and Bridget Moynahan have great chemistry!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I love Charles, too, especially before he got together with Liza. I even bought Persil because of that commercial. So, I'll see your pathetic lol. But I really don't like them together - kinda boring. I would love to see Liza just be Liza and be single but I don't think that's what the show has ever wanted. 

On 4/15/2021 at 7:26 PM, gesundheit said:

That felt like a lot of deck-clearing! Weird. And yeah, Kelsey's bronzer was rough. I'm going to miss Diana this season so much, but I'm a completist. 

I don't understand how it's airing. It's airing normally on TV Land, but not yet? But the first 4 are out now on both Hulu and Paramount+, and weekly after that?

Is Diana gone for the whole season? I thought it was just a couple of episodes for her honeymoon. I love her! I prefer Lauren in small doses. 

On 4/15/2021 at 3:30 AM, Aulty said:

Good grief.
I expected some twists to get them from last season's cliffhanger and through the obstacle course that was shooting their swann song, but woah. So many scenes that felt ooc.
Of course Lauren immediately runs to show Josh the video, and Josh's little 'we're always us' speech - dude, grow up.

On a VERY superficial note: all hail the make-up artists. I think its fair to assume that they had to make do with a smaller team than usual because they all look noticably older now and less fresh. Exhausted, actually. Which suits the theme of the girls slowly aging out of the hip age bracket.

The scene with Lauren and the necklace in the drawer was priceless though. And Quinn was spot on with her assessment of Kelsey. And in my opinion they way the Liza/Charles breakup went was pretty much true to what their relationship was - they both thought is was what they wanted, but they never realised that they want different things. I just hope that they didn't put the 'you can propose to me' in to have Liza get down on one knee in the very last episode.
Bring on Charles and Quinn.

I do like that they're showing the millennials age out of their original roles. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

Is Diana gone for the whole season? I thought it was just a couple of episodes for her honeymoon. I love her! I prefer Lauren in small doses.

As far as we know Diana will appear in a few episodes but only via Zoom calls. Due to Covid (travel?) restriction Miriam Shor couldn't be on set.

I love Charles and Liza together (mostly because I have a huge crush on Charles) so I'm sad that they broke up and will just wait the rest of the season for them to hopefully get back together. 

On 4/18/2021 at 1:03 AM, Yeah No said:

Yeah, I admit I've had a crush on Charles myself and it's gotten worse with the pandemic, so I match you in the pathetic department.  I was pining away the entire year and only able to get a brief fix of him on Persil commercials, LOL.  Seeing him again like this is just too bittersweet.  So many disappointments and now this....Sigh.  And of course I agree with you about missing Diana too.

Is there room at your table for one more? I've been a big Peter Hermann fan from way back, and he's aging pretty well too.

• Love 3

I'm not reading comments yet, but just wanted to let anyone who was waiting on this to air on TVLAND know that it will be on tonight at 10pm eastern/9 central. I’m frustrated that they did not give us more notice of the air date. I just saw the commercial a few minutes ago. 

"I think he just picked up your audio because you're so much taller than everyone else." Hee.

On 4/15/2021 at 9:30 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

But when one of you really wants that title/designation/legal relationship and the other one doesn't, how can you possibly compromise?

Domestic partnership! (GH viewers will get the joke.)

I desperately miss Miriam Shor, but they're doing a pretty good job filling Diana's void with Lauren.