Type keyword(s) to search

S05E05: Group B Finals - The Ulti 'Mutt' Wildcard

• Start Topic

I thought that was a cute way to introduce Nick back to the show. (Although I wouldn't mind Niecy sticking around.) 

That costume was particularly lame and I thought, wow, they did not put much thought into the wildcard costumes but it all made sense when we realized it was Nick.

Chameleon, Crab, Black Swan and Piglet were clearly making the top 8 so it made sense the wildcard would be out immediately.

• Love 6

Glad Nick is back and in good health.  Once Niecy said she was choosing the singer going home, I knew it was Nick.  Let's see if the show picks up any steam with him back.  It's been pretty much of a yawner for me so far.  Would like to see Niecy replace either of the 2 women judges.  

• Love 2

I had suspicions about the dog when I saw how tame his costume was, but when Niecy said she was sending someone home I knew that it was Nick. Fun way to bring him back to the show and glad to see him doing well. Great having Nick back, but I will miss Niecy, can we keep her as a judge? Can we vote Ken out and have her instead?

I'm surprised that Jenny never heard that Seven Years song, it seemed like it was inescapable a few years ago. Normally the judges know everything pop culture related, I never know anything they don't. This is the first time the Wildcard has had some kind of point, are they all here to disguise Nick coming back? I definitely know why they had Nick show up for this round, they are definitely the strongest group of singers and want to keep them around. The other group is really underwhelming for the most part. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I'm surprised that Jenny never heard that Seven Years song, it seemed like it was inescapable a few years ago. Normally the judges know everything pop culture related, I never know anything they don't. 

Yet somehow these judges seem to know every past and present player in the NFL and NBA and their life stories. Riiiight.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

I was so happy to see Nick. But he was fully doing Eddie Murphy "Party all the Time" voice. That lil fake belly was supposed to make us think he was an older thicker dude, both would work for Eddie. Nick's singing voice isn't high like Eddie's, and is basically instantly recognizable.

I love Nick and missed his smile. It's weird how bad I need this silly show to bring me a lil happiness during isolation. Of course Niecy did  wonderful, I've never seen her be bad at something.

• Love 4

I totally guessed Nick at the very last second just before the reveal.   That's the only reason why an actual 'vote' wouldn't happen.    The crab was definitely giving me Bobby Brown vibes tonight.    And I could see Bobby in real life freaking out being all sweaty in the mask.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I knew it was Nick 3 seconds into the clue package. Even distorted, it clearly sounded like him to me. His cadence is way too obvious. Then when Niecy said she got to choose, I knew I was right and it was a stunt to introduce him back before he even took the head off.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I had suspicions about the dog when I saw how tame his costume was, but when Niecy said she was sending someone home I knew that it was Nick. Fun way to bring him back to the show and glad to see him doing well. Great having Nick back, but I will miss Niecy, can we keep her as a judge? Can we vote Ken out and have her instead?

I'm surprised that Jenny never heard that Seven Years song, it seemed like it was inescapable a few years ago. Normally the judges know everything pop culture related, I never know anything they don't. This is the first time the Wildcard has had some kind of point, are they all here to disguise Nick coming back? I definitely know why they had Nick show up for this round, they are definitely the strongest group of singers and want to keep them around. The other group is really underwhelming for the most part. 

Agreed, I knew it was Nick as soon as Niecy said she was choosing.  I wish there was a way to keep Niecy.  They could either have her as a permanent fifth panelist or have her as some kind of backstage commentator.

I also agree that I was surprised when Jenny said she has never heard "Seven Years"... that song was everywhere a few years ago, it still comes onto the radio occasionally, and my teenager still knows all the words.

I am suspicious about any future Wildcard now, I wonder if the next one is going to be Joel McHale and they did indeed need these Wildcards to fill out some slots because they didn't have enough interested contestants.  Lack of interested contestants would also explain why they had to fill one slot with Kermit.  Why Nick Lachey stepped in to compete with only four days notice.  And why we got complete wastes of space like Katelyn Jenner and Logan Paul.

I guess there really is no Group C this season if they talked about making it to the "Super 8".  I thought the Crab and the Chameleon are both terrible.  Clearly Piglet and Black Swan are the best of this group.

Did the wardrobe and hair and makeup departments get more budget for this episode?  Nicole, Jenny and Niecy all looked amazing, all with noticeably different hair this time.  Have we seen that outfit on Nicole before?  I would describe it as a dominatrix Spiderwoman.  Breastesses were practically popping out.  My tween daughter was watching the show with me and must have said "What is she wearing?!?!?!" at least a dozen times.  Indeed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

So, no Group C after all.  This is really kind of a crap season.  I think they need to rest this show for a while.   If this is the best they can do for contestants then the show isn't sustainable.

Edited by Maverick
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, Maverick said:

So, no Group C after all.  This is really kind of a crap season.  I think they need to rest this show for a while.   If this is the best they can do for contestants then the show is sustainable.

I agree 

4 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I'm really bad at guessing on this show but as soon and he spoke I knew it was Nick Cannon and as soon as he sang I knew it was Nick Lachey.

That's how I play.  I don't watch a lot of other TV shows or know trivia.  So I rarely can guess based on clues.  There are just certain voices that are distinct.  I think that's how Nicole and Robin get most of their guesses too. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I'm really bad at guessing on this show but as soon and he spoke I knew it was Nick Cannon and as soon as he sang I knew it was Nick Lachey.

I call BS that none of the judges know it is Nick Lachey. I think they are told not to guess the obvious singers.

• Love 5

When they were getting ready to unveil the Bulldog I knew it was Nick. That said, even without the mask, it still doesn't make sense to my brain to match Nick Cannon's bubblegum pop, higher vocals with his speaking voice. It's weird.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

When they were getting ready to unveil the Bulldog I knew it was Nick. That said, even without the mask, it still doesn't make sense to my brain to match Nick Cannon's bubblegum pop, higher vocals with his speaking voice. It's weird.

His singing voice doesn't sound like that so much. He was CLEARLY trying to get everyone to guess Eddie Murphy. He was throwing his voice. Nick also has no connection to SNL. 

This is his singing voice (starts around 50 seconds in). It matches his speaking voice.

and this is the voice he decided to sing with:

Edited by BoogieBurns
added Eddie's high voice
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I think Robin and maybe Nicole said that he was disguising his singing voice.  Those two are the ones that can guess based on the singing voice.

Just rewatched and Robin said "amazing job throwing your voice, man!" So, yep!

• Love 1