Type keyword(s) to search

Welcome to the Media Thread

• Start Topic

‘Fantasy Island’: Kiara Barnes Joins Fox Reboot As She Nears ‘The Bold & The Beautiful’ Exit; John Gabriel Rodriquez Also Cast

The new Fantasy Island will be run by Elena Roarke, a direct descendant of Mr. Roarke.

Kiara-Barnes-John-Gabriel-Rodriguez.jpg?

The Bold and the Beautiful star Kiara Barnes has been cast as a series regular and John Gabriel Rodriquez (If Loving You Is Wrong) as heavily recurring in Fantasy Island, Fox’s contemporary version of the classic drama series that has a straight-to-series order to air this summer.

The reboot is keeping the semi-anthological format of the original Fantasy Island with three main characters, two played by Barnes and Rodriquez, who live/work on the island and new guests arriving in every episode. 

Barnes will play the warm and wise Ruby Okoro, a young woman with an old soul. She arrives on Fantasy Island with a terminal illness, but Roarke and the island give her a new lease on life.

Rodriquez will play the rugged, handsome and charismatic Javier, Fantasy Island’s head of transport — a pilot, mechanic and jack of all trades. While the island provides Javier refuge, as with everything else it offers, it may come at the price of a reckoning.

I sense a lot of "not getting it" going on so far. 

While I don't expect them to drop a little person named Tatoo Junior on us, I do sense a move to cast pretty soap opera people instead. 

See, even though it didn't get picked up for renewal, at least the 1998 version understood the regular cast was supposed to be unobtrusive but also a bit odd. Malcolm McDowell being definitely odd, for example. And one of his costars was Fyvush Finkel.  Odd. 

I suppose the pretty soap opera people are fine, as long as the show restrains itself and doesn't give them huge serialized (especially romantic) subplots. 

I have nothing against a female Roarke, but they'd better majorly bring it via someone who's sufficiently mysterious and odd. 

Premieres Tuesday, August 10 at 9pm ET http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2021/04/27/fantasy-island-welcomes-roselyn-sanchez-as-the-elusive-elena-roarke-166412/20210427fox02/

I smell burn off with such a late Summer premiere date. I had erred thinking this was on NBC and thought maybe it would try for some promo help during the Olympics, but Fox won’t have that so I really smell burn off. Otherwise, I can’t figure out why they would start so late in the Summer, unless there’s some major baseball event that I’m forgetting

• Love 1

You could look at it as premiering early.   I imagine they don't want it going up against the Olympics.  The CW is premiering Stargirl in August and it had a successful first season and is already renewed for season 3 before season 2 starts.

I'm glad they're keeping it a weekly anthology.  There's not really many/any of those these days.   I know they're going to want to make everything dark but I wish they would remember that while Rourke would show people the dark side of their fantastical requests, ultimately it was for their own good, usually to get them to be happier with their own lives without having some fantasy handed to them on a platter.   As I recall, the 90s version of Rourke was much more malevolent.  

• Useful 1

Before the Fantasy Island Premiere on Tuesday, Aug. 10, on FOX, there will be a half-hour behind-the-scenes look at this all-new version of the classic show. "Welcome To The New Fantasy Island" will air on Sunday, Aug. 8 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. The series is shot entirely on the lush island of Puerto Rico, meet the new characters and visitors. and viewers will have a front-row seat to the making of an exclusive scene from the pilot.

• Useful 1

Laura Leighton, Josie Bissett and Daphne Zuniga (all starring in the TV series "Melrose Place") will guest star in a Fantasy Island episode as friends whose island birthday bash exposes the cracks in their friendships.

• Useful 1
On 8/16/2021 at 11:12 AM, DanaK said:

The season finale will be on Sunday, September 19 at 8pm for some unknown reason and going up against the Primetime Emmys on CBS

per SpoilerTV https://www.spoilertv.com/2020/03/upcoming-finale-dates-2020-updated-26th.html

per FutonCritic http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/fantasy-island/listings/

Note also that the Futon Critic listing indicates the show will also have an episode on Sunday Sep 12 at 8:30pm

18 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Fantasy Island only gets eight episodes that stinks. The finale is airing at the same time as Sunday Night football which is usually the highest rated program of the week. I'll set my DVR.

The small number of episodes doesn't surprise me given it's airing so late in the Summer

• Useful 1

About Ruby's tattoo in the first episode:

https://tvline.com/2021/08/31/the-rookie-season-4-spoilers-sergeant-tim-bradford/

Why did Ruby’s tattoo change when the plane flew away at the end of the Fantasy Island pilot? –Kate

I assumed this was addressed in Episode 2, but apparently not…? So I turned to series co-creators Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain, who wrote back, “We talked a lot about Ruby’s tattoo — both its design and what it signifies about her role on the Island. The fact that Ruby chooses to get that particular tattoo tells Roarke that she’s connected to the Island and that the Island wants her to become Roarke’s right hand woman. The tattoo transforms at the end into its final state because Ruby’s decision to stay means she is now officially part of Fantasy Island.”

• Useful 1

Looks like the special Sunday telecast following football did the show's ratings some good (I don't think the episode was delayed by football, but if there was the final ratings will be adjusted down). It got a .05 in the 18-49 demo and 1.971 million viewers in its first half hour and 0.4/1.833 in its second half, whereby it got 0.24/1.45 in its previous Tuesday episode

• Useful 1

Keep an eye out for Dec 21. It appears Fox is showing some kind of Fantasy Island 2 hour presentation on that night according to The Futon Critic. Fox has not announced its holiday plans yet, so it isn't at all clear what it's about or whether it's for the current show or a nostalgia trip. Just a heads up for now

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Keep an eye out for Dec 21. It appears Fox is showing some kind of Fantasy Island 2 hour presentation on that night according to The Futon Critic. Fox has not announced its holiday plans yet, so it isn't at all clear what it's about or whether it's for the current show or a nostalgia trip. Just a heads up for now

Fantasy Island: Welcome to the Snowglobe (special two-part holiday episode of the FOX reboot of the classic 1970s anthology series; Roselyn Sanchez stars along with guest stars Lindsey Krafft, Eddie Cahill and Benjamin Stockham; A guest finds themselves immersed in a holiday movie) - TBA

• Useful 2
9 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Fantasy Island: Welcome to the Snowglobe (special two-part holiday episode of the FOX reboot of the classic 1970s anthology series; Roselyn Sanchez stars along with guest stars Lindsey Krafft, Eddie Cahill and Benjamin Stockham; A guest finds themselves immersed in a holiday movie) - TBA

Thanks. Where did you find this?

2 hours ago, Trini said:

A Christmas special?? Is that a positive sign this is getting a second season?

Not really, this is probably why the first season was so short, but FOX would really like to get some of their TV Stars on the show to get some cross promotion, if they do happen to give them another season.

• Useful 1

Tuesday, Dec. 21 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX, FANTASY ISLAND returns for a special two-hour holiday episode, "Welcome to the Snow Globe." A businesswoman's (guest star Lindsay Craft) fantasy of a perfect Christmas and meeting "Mr. Right" (guest star Eddie Cahill) tests Roarke in unexpected ways. Meanwhile, Mr. Jones (guest star Mackenzie Astin) faces his past, while a new Secret Santa tradition has Ruby and Javier looking to the future.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

I think this is a clip from the holiday special?

No, That is a scene from the end of Episode 3: Quantum Entanglement.

Here are some pictures of the holiday special.

island-holidays-fantasy-island.jpg

wistful-fantasy-island-s1e10.jpg

standing-together-fantasy-island-s1e10.j

unhappy-islanders-fantasy-island-s1e10.j

christmas-roarke-fantasy-island.jpg

meeting-up-fantasy-island-s1e10.jpg

gingerbread-joy-fantasy-island-s1e10.jpg

roarke-looks-troubled-fantasy-island-s1e

caught-by-surprise-fantasy-island-s1e10.

stepping-through-fantasy-island-s1e10.jp

Cast: Roselyn Sanchez as Elena Roarke; Kiara Barnes as Ruby Akuda
Guest Cast: John Gabriel Rodriquez as Javier; Lindsey Kraft as Allison Holmes; Eddie Cahill as Jake/James; Alain Uy as Richard; Geri-Nikole Love as Dr. Maya Schmidt; Mackenzie Astin as Daniel Jones.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 1

Short preview for two-hour FANTASY ISLAND holiday event.

Elena is reunited with her ex-fiancé (played by CSI: NY‘s Eddie Cahill). Lindsey Kraft (Grace & Frankie) is a businesswoman whose “fantasy", of a perfect Christmas and to meet ‘Mr. Right’, tests Roarke in unexpected ways. Meanwhile, Mr. Jones faces his past, while a new Secret Santa tradition has Ruby and Javier looking to the future.

Edited by AnimeMania

‘Fantasy Island’ Holiday Special Pushed To Make Room For Postponed NFL Games On Fox

The Seattle Seahawks-Los Angeles Rams and Washington Football Team-Philadelphia Eagles games postponed over positive Covid tests were originally slated for Sunday, Dec. 19, have been moved to Tuesday, Dec. 21. Starting at 7 PM on Fox, the games will run through the networks primetime (8-10 PM).

The games replace Fantasy Island’s two-hour holiday special titled “Welcome to the Snow Globe,” which will now air Thursday, Dec. 23.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:24 PM, Artsda said:

Yay on the renewal.

I think this barely deserved the renewal, but it maybe just squeaked by.

I didn't like that the show demystified Elena so much, and they can't really undo that. Mr. Roarke always toed a lie between just presenting Fantasies but giving a firm impression he knew more or had more control of what happened than he admitted.

I like the overall implication that in some ways she's a prisoner of the Island, indirectly I mean, and maybe they could play that up even more.  If she's not the mysterious Roarke figure than give her another purpose.

• Love 2
On 12/26/2021 at 2:17 PM, SnarkShark said:

I think this barely deserved the renewal, but it maybe just squeaked by.

I didn't like that the show demystified Elena so much, and they can't really undo that. Mr. Roarke always toed a lie between just presenting Fantasies but giving a firm impression he knew more or had more control of what happened than he admitted.

I like the overall implication that in some ways she's a prisoner of the Island, indirectly I mean, and maybe they could play that up even more.  If she's not the mysterious Roarke figure than give her another purpose.

I agree.  I was really surprised this got renewed.  The ratings were good at first but were dropping with each episode.  I suspect Fox didn't have anything to put in its place and this was relatively cheap to keep going rather than trying to get something else started, given the risks to production from varying covid infections, mandates, state rules, etc.

I also agree about demystifying Elena.  I don't understand the long game on that.

BTW I'm Uke from the DWTS thread if anyone else has migrated from there to here.  

Happy New Years everyone!

23 hours ago, Uke said:

I agree.  I was really surprised this got renewed.  The ratings were good at first but were dropping with each episode.  I suspect Fox didn't have anything to put in its place and this was relatively cheap to keep going rather than trying to get something else started, given the risks to production from varying covid infections, mandates, state rules, etc.

It's a summer show. The stakes are a little lower, as I understand.

2 hours ago, seasons said:

I have missed something though - who is Segundo? Maybe Mr Roarke's brother?

Segundo is the caretaker of Fantasy Island. He was introduced and featured prominently in Season 1 Episode 4: Once Upon A Time In Havana, then seen sparingly in other episodes.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Segundo is the caretaker of Fantasy Island. He was introduced and featured prominently in Season 1 Episode 4: Once Upon A Time In Havana, then seen sparingly in other episodes.

Thank you! 👍

On 12/31/2021 at 8:55 PM, Uke said:

I was really surprised this got renewed.  The ratings were good at first but were dropping with each episode.  I suspect Fox didn't have anything to put in its place and this was relatively cheap to keep going rather than trying to get something else started, given the risks to production from varying covid infections, mandates, state rules, etc.

Part of it may also be that they film in Puerto Rico.  PR had really low covid rates, up until just very recently.  So that had to help with production. 

• Useful 2

Fantasy Island returns on May 31 at 9 p.m ET/PT on FOX.

Some plot lines for Season 2 include:

Transformations continue when two former high school losers come to the Island hoping to make their onetime classmates envious of their new lives.

Three friends attempt to find out what happened to a fourth companion, who mysteriously vanished decades ago.

An empty-nester couple arrives to determine whether or not to divorce. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Some casting news and synopsis of the Season 2 premiere:

Spoiler

* Cheryl Hines, Rachael Harris, Jasika Nicole and Zack Pearlman are set to guest-star in the second season premiere of Fox’s Fantasy Island (May 31, 9/8c).

Per the premiere’s official logline, “longtime best friends Tara (Harris) and Jessica (Hines) want to rule their 30th high school reunion, but their plans go sideways when everyone is forced to tell the truth.”

https://tvline.com/2022/04/18/the-talk-renewed-season-13-cbs/

• Love 1

Actually, there's more info in the original press release:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2022/04/18/emmy-award-nominee-cheryl-hines-along-with-rachael-harris-jasika-nicole-and-zack-pearlman-to-guest-star-in-the-premiere-episode-of-fantasy-island-season-2-586115/20220418spt01/

Spoiler

· In the premiere episode, longtime best friends, Tara (Harris) and Jessica (Hines), want to rule their 30th High School Reunion, but their plans go sideways when everyone is forced to tell the truth. Andi wants to know if her cat BoBo loves her as much as she loves him. Roarke (Sanchez) juggles a secret romance, as Ruby (Barnes) and Gina spend more time together.

• Love 1