Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E11: A Couple Hundred Degrees

• Start Topic

A new recruit with ties to the CFD tests Serveride’s patience. Violet receives a mysterious note that sends her and Brett on a hunt for the person who wrote it.

Airdate: 04/07/2021

I can’t tell if Casey is bullshitting about feeling better or if he’s actually feeling better. In any event, good for him for finally telling someone about the first head injury and deciding to bite the bullet. I thought Jesse Spencer did good work there; Casey's scared.

After this episode, I don’t think Casey’s leaving the show; Brettsey is endgame. Casey is going to get the all-clear, realize how much he doesn’t want to lose Chicago/the CFD (which was Brett’s question to him - if he would leave Chicago with Gabby), and, in the relief of it all, hook up with Brett. Brett already decided on Casey, which is why she’s so weird about spending the night with Grainger (they’ve already slept together!) and so quick to bail on the ski trip. 

The investigation plots are beyond ridiculous. If this is all the writers can think to do, they need to cancel the show. (Yes, I know it’s renewed through season 11.) At least Ruzek tried to shut the stupidity down. I would have liked for Violet to be a normal EMT who freaked out at the very thought of investigating a call.

Does the firehouse not have even one security camera? …after all the times they’ve been shot at, taken over, and hosted unexpected community brawls?

Back in the early seasons, I thought for sure Severide said that he and Darden went through the Academy together (had known each other since kindergarten), and then Casey told the oldest Darden kid that Casey and Darden graduated together - so, all three went through at the same time. But now Casey made it sound like Severide wasn’t in their class. Huh. (Side note: the Mercer kid grabbing the scalding hot wrench was just about the happiest Casey has looked since at least season 5. 🤣)

In season 2, when Severide taught an academy class, Severide was 100% empowered to thin the herd at the first sign of trouble, and he tried to cut Jones who was also a chief’s kid because she said one thing. There was no hemming and hawing from Severide about “well, MAYBE…? Casey, what do you think? Girlfriend Without Leadership Experience, what do you think?” And Jones was capable. (Actually, it would’ve been awesome for Jones to have actually come up in this episode.)

Why does Squad exist on this show? Severide is shown doing Squad stuff a handful of times a season, and he’s otherwise off teaching or playing cop, while Cruz has NOTHING to do. It's so aimless.

I still don’t understand why Violet took a demotion from being at PIC House 20 to work at 51 under Brett. Was she forced out because she told everyone what to do and gave them orders about baking bread?

(Wow, that PD promo was straight up from a soap opera, with the music and smoky graphics and nothing but relationship troubles. #OneSoapOpera)

• Love 1
(edited)

It took only 2 episodes for Casey to just make a decision to see a doctor and get checked out?? Surprised the show didn't carry out this suspense until the last episode of the season. 

Severide had the "why did I bother ask Kidd her opinion" look. He didn't seemed thrilled to hear her "Girls on Fire " experience.

I got nervous when Chief Mercer arrived and he was reveled to Jacob's father. I thought it would the recycled storyline of the daughter of a chief who couldn't cut it and then killed herself some seasons back.

Chief Mercer is the biggest fool to not see his son is lacking the necessary skills. But I did wonder why Severide didn't have an assistant helping him train the 6 recruits and keep an eye on Jacob and other matters Severide could miss.

I'd rather see Boden take on Chief Mercer than Severide. But Severide handled himself well. Nice to see Boden angry and having Severide's back.

Earlier, Kidd was all for "encouragement and support" with recruits but later in the locker room she was surprised Severide was giving Jacob a chance.  

The only scenes missing were Severide and some of the other recruits kicking Jacob's ass and watching him get the boot out of the academy.

Surprised the show didn't drag out Ronnie/Mike/Patty plot and make a 2 part crossover on Fire/PD.

Ronnie is way too nice and naïve to not have suspected foul play from Mike and eat his muffins.

Mike must have heard the great tales of Severide and 51 and decided to leave the note on the Squad table instead of going to the police.

Was Mike waiting for Ronnie to die before he finally spoke up about the wife? He had to be 100% sure it is her. That's why he couldn't write a full letter?

Why does Mike need to expand when his business doesn't seem to be busy? Every time there's an emergency next door, he's the first nosy body there. If he was busy, he wouldn't have time to check on Ronnie's well being or give him free muffins. Speaking of muffins, he is insulting Ronnie to think just giving him free muffins would make him sell his store to him.

If the wife wanted Ronnie to die, why call 911 on his second poisoning? She could heave left him there to dying and call 911 at the very last moment just to look like she cared.

No smoke alarm going off in the fire house when the bread was burning?

Once Violet gave instructions Gallo, the bread had no chance and was doomed (hope it had a pleasant transition to the trash)!

No way Ruzek spelled "Tetrahydrozoline" correctly in his notes.

Makes sense for Cindy to not have any skills in match making..... she married Herrmann. 

Edited by mxc90

I'm wondering if COVID has a lot to do with this season's stories?  Meaning, they can't film everywhere they want to film, or they can't get the crew and extras to set up elaborate fires/rescues.  Maybe this is why there are more investigations and no Squad calls, because they are easier to film with (what I'm sure are many) restrictions?  Just a thought.

As for the actual episode... Meh.  

I don't think Casey was faking it that his symptoms went away, but I do think he's still an idiot for not doing anything about it right away.  Was Red-headed Halstead still playing along and giving Sylvie that info knowing that Casey could be in trouble and is too stubborn to do anything himself?  Or did he really think it was still Casey's "friend"?  I guess he got the book smarts and Cop Halstead got the common sense...

Cindy's book club is super popular, and has been going on for years now.  Anyone else remember when Herrmann wanted to set up Cop Halstead with someone in Cindy's book club?  That was like 5 years ago.  I don't think I've been in a book club that's been able to last a year, and especially not during COVID.

Speaking of COVID, they need to have 2 lines about how they are all vaccinated as first responders, and then leave it alone.  It's like they make a one-off reference to it every other episode, but never show it - no one wears a mask or takes any of the other precautions.  The hostess at the coffee shop with Ritter referred to social distancing the tables, but why no masks!??  Infuriating, actually.  Either include it or don't, but don't half-ass it. 

• Love 2

I get the plot requirement of the CO infiltration into the SCBA (pretty thin likelihood, but okay), but who positioned the SCBA charger next to the idling vehicle?  Whose job was that?  And I find it hard to imagine that some brand new recruits would be tasked with recharging the bottles in the first place.  I used to do that and it takes a modicum of skill and knowledge.

In addition to that, CFD is now on the hook for workers comp for kid Mercer.  Regardless of his ineptitude, the officers in charge of the exercise are responsible to keep the student from getting hurt. Now he's got a serious burn injury and firing him from the academy doesn't solve that.

Severide handled that situation with his dad pretty well.  He said, in so many words, 'you are responsible for your son, and don't cover for him anymore.'  That takes the burden off of the fire department.

Please, show, just one favor?  Can you stop having firefighters tap the back of the ambulance door after the patient is loaded?  That is one of those irritating tropes that signify absolutely nothing at all.  Nobody in the ambo is paying any attention to you, so just. don't. do it.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I got nervous when Chief Mercer arrived and he was reveled to Jacob's father. I thought it would the recycled storyline of the daughter of a chief who couldn't cut it and then killed herself some seasons back.

Jones killed herself after her chief father made Boden and Casey kick her out of 51 and transfer her to a desk job at HQ. Casey wanted to keep her on 81, because she was a solid, capable candidate who was doing well at 51. Casey and Boden even went to HQ to try to talk her dad out of his decision and to defend Jones’ skills and worth as a firefighter. Jones was the inverse of Mercer. 

6 hours ago, tinderbox said:

THIS was the final episode of the season?  Is that right?  I sure hope not.

No, there are either 15 or 16 episodes in the season. It was originally reported at 15, then Derek Haas said there would be 16. The finale is in May.

3 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I get the plot requirement of the CO infiltration into the SCBA (pretty thin likelihood, but okay), but who positioned the SCBA charger next to the idling vehicle?  Whose job was that?  And I find it hard to imagine that some brand new recruits would be tasked with recharging the bottles in the first place.  I used to do that and it takes a modicum of skill and knowledge.

In addition to that, CFD is now on the hook for workers comp for kid Mercer.  Regardless of his ineptitude, the officers in charge of the exercise are responsible to keep the student from getting hurt. Now he's got a serious burn injury and firing him from the academy doesn't solve that.

IMO, Severide was ultimately responsible for the SCBA tank mess-up, as the instructor. The buck falls to him for not supervising - and not supervising a kid he already knows is inept. I didn't necessarily disagree with Chief Mercer on that aspect. I really don't think this story needed so many silly mistakes and anvil-type ploys to demonstrate Candidate Mercer wasn't cut out to be a firefighter. 

7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I'm wondering if COVID has a lot to do with this season's stories?  Meaning, they can't film everywhere they want to film, or they can't get the crew and extras to set up elaborate fires/rescues.  Maybe this is why there are more investigations and no Squad calls, because they are easier to film with (what I'm sure are many) restrictions?  Just a thought.

I don't think Casey was faking it that his symptoms went away, but I do think he's still an idiot for not doing anything about it right away.  Was Red-headed Halstead still playing along and giving Sylvie that info knowing that Casey could be in trouble and is too stubborn to do anything himself?  Or did he really think it was still Casey's "friend"?  I guess he got the book smarts and Cop Halstead got the common sense...

Speaking of COVID, they need to have 2 lines about how they are all vaccinated as first responders, and then leave it alone.  It's like they make a one-off reference to it every other episode, but never show it - no one wears a mask or takes any of the other precautions.  The hostess at the coffee shop with Ritter referred to social distancing the tables, but why no masks!??  Infuriating, actually.  Either include it or don't, but don't half-ass it. 

I would think that about COVID, too, except the investigation storylines started in season 7 (something like half the episodes were Severide or EMTs investigating, then Casey had the whole trailer arson story with Naomi, and then Severide had the whole White Whale arson storyline) and carried through season 8. They've been limping along with investigations for a while now; if Derek Haas were to blame COVID, I wouldn't buy it for a millisecond. I think it's more to do with the cast being worn out and a lot of them got hurt over the years, so nonstop fires and action scenes aren't feasible, but there is a lot more to fire and rescue than what they show. I also think the cast is much too big for the caliber of these writers.

I think Casey's an idiot, too, but I now better understand why he didn't go to a doctor. It sounds like his symptoms were actually improving last episode and had resolved by this episode (two days later). If going to a doctor means having the 2014 injury and prognosis get dredged up and possibly communicated to Boden or HQ, while the current symptoms are significantly improving, I can see why, in TVland, he didn't go and risk his career. Dare I say it, that makes sense to me. 

With masking up - it doesn't bother me so much on this show, because they tend to completely ignore it, but it's the absolutely worst on Med. I've been hate-watching that show when I get home from work, and they take the mask off AS THEY ENTER THE HOSPITAL and they purposefully take their masks off each time they approach someone to talk. At least these characters usually keep their masks on (I think the EMTs do), and Casey usually pulls his gaiter mask up before approaching victims. I'll take it.

2 hours ago, dovegrey said:

With masking up - it doesn't bother me so much on this show, because they tend to completely ignore it, but it's the absolutely worst on Med. I've been hate-watching that show when I get home from work, and they take the mask off AS THEY ENTER THE HOSPITAL and they purposefully take their masks off each time they approach someone to talk. At least these characters usually keep their masks on (I think the EMTs do), and Casey usually pulls his gaiter mask up before approaching victims. I'll take it.

All of these Chicago shows are absolutely horrible.  I get why they don't want to wear them as actors and that they take away from a scene.  Also, it's hard to hear someone when talking...  But I was mostly referring to everyone but the main cast - why didn't the hostess in the coffee shop wear one, if she was going to refer to social distancing anyway??  Or Ritter and his date, or the group of 4 that came in afterward, or the couple who owned the deli, or the guy who made the muffins, or ANY of the bystanders on the street?????  This is what infuriates me.  They are all extras on the show, too - they aren't the main cast who are presumably tested regularly and around each other all the time.  They ALL need to be wearing masks, for SO many reasons including real life, but especially if COVID is still going to be acknowledged on the show already in different ways!  Just checked with a friend - Chicago/Illinois definitely still has a mask mandate, so...  yeah.

If a show is going to take the time to include COVID in it's plots or dialogue, even if just in one or two lines per episode, then it needs to be responsible enough to also accurately portray appropriate precautions.  Otherwise, it's contributing to the problem.  JMO.  

• Love 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Please, show, just one favor?  Can you stop having firefighters tap the back of the ambulance door after the patient is loaded?  That is one of those irritating tropes that signify absolutely nothing at all.  Nobody in the ambo is paying any attention to you, so just. don't. do it.

Next season, they'll have Cruz propose and mass produce buzzers to CFD to attach to the back every ambulance in the city.

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 2

RItter's boyfriend is goofy looking.

I knew it was the wife poisoning the deli owner. You watch Dateline long enough, you know it's always the wife. Same network, too.

I still don’t understand why Violet took a demotion from being at PIC House 20 to work at 51 under Brett. 

Are you sure Violet was PIC at the other house? Or are you confusing her with Mackey, who left to become PIC?

It took only 2 episodes for Casey to just make a decision to see a doctor and get checked out?? 

We didn't see it happen. I don't believe he's actually seen a doctor, I think he's still in denial. I think this is building up to a season finale cliffhanger. 

No smoke alarm going off in the fire house when the bread was burning?

I'm not sure it would have been smoking that much. It's just bread. Generally ovens smoke when something is boiling over onto the surface from overheating. 

• LOL 2
25 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Are you sure Violet was PIC at the other house? Or are you confusing her with Mackey, who left to become PIC?

Violet was a PIC last season: https://tv.homeofthenutty.com/displayimage.php?album=1686&pid=1204928#top_display_media (from the season 8 finale; note the bars). 

Mackey didn't become a PIC. She's a newbie. Casey intimated last week that Mackey actually became PIC, but there is no possible way she's a PIC after 6 months on the job. The real CFD requires at least 18 months of career service as a fire paramedic to apply for a PIC position (and it's based on seniority, not being in a house when someone else leaves, but that's never been honored on this show). 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

We didn't see it happen. I don't believe he's actually seen a doctor, I think he's still in denial. I think this is building up to a season finale cliffhanger. 

It hasn't happen. We still need to see Grainger's rejection from Sylvie (when he arrives to pick her up wearing his new ski gear. Probably spent over $1,000 buying new clothes/equipment for him/her). Then we'll see Matt and Sylvie holding hands skipping to the doctor's office.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:36 PM, mxc90 said:

It hasn't happen. We still need to see Grainger's rejection from Sylvie (when he arrives to pick her up wearing his new ski gear. Probably spent over $1,000 buying new clothes/equipment for him/her). Then we'll see Matt and Sylvie holding hands skipping to the doctor's office.

I hope so! LOL.  This seems to be building up to Sylvie getting the partner she wants. 

39 minutes ago, MssdDrms said:

I hope so! LOL.  This seems to be building up to Sylvie getting the partner she wants. 

After the doctor visit, they’ll end up back at Brett’s place as “friends” and the terrible Veronicat will instantly warm up to Casey, in contrast to Grainger who wants to declaw and probably rehome the cat. Although Brett will instantly swoon and fall even further in love, Brett will ruin the whole thing with a new hoop to jump through, like asking why Casey still hasn’t put roots down again if he’s REALLY not holding out for Gabby. Hearing the familiar crack of a whip, he’ll finally move out of Stellaride’s creepy love den and go buy a brownstone with the Rolex money, just as Gabby rolls back into town. (I’m pulling for Brett and Casey to get together, I swear, but there’s definitely more obstacles coming because why not.)

And if Grainger goes out and drops a thousand dollars on this ski trip, he’s seriously bad at reading the room. Brett couldn’t have seemed more disinterested. But Grainger also seems a little slow altogether. 

• Love 2
On 4/8/2021 at 7:36 PM, mxc90 said:

We still need to see Grainger's rejection from Sylvie (when he arrives to pick her up wearing his new ski gear. Probably spent over $1,000 buying new clothes/equipment for him/her).

I hope Grainger has a helicopter fall on him or something equally gruesome, quite frankly. He suggested having Sylvie's cat declawed. Hey Grainger, how 'bout we chop off the tips of your fingers at the joint, because that's what declawing is. Stannis Baratheon would be proud.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I don't see why Brett can't go to the doctor's appointment and then go skiing.  So they leave an hour later.  It's not the end of the world.  It wasn't actually an either/or dilemma if one uses a little common sense.  Oh, right, that's why she was having problems with it...

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I don't see why Brett can't go to the doctor's appointment and then go skiing.  So they leave an hour later.  It's not the end of the world.  It wasn't actually an either/or dilemma if one uses a little common sense.  Oh, right, that's why she was having problems with it...

If Casey actually manages to get in to a doctor right after shift (which is when I thought Grainger wanted to leave), that could be an all day thing with multiple scans, waiting around, and getting bounced around departments. I just spent 10 hours with a family member at a major urban hospital for a scope and a CT between two specialists and an emergency room, and it was supposed to have been a 1-hour morning appointment with the first doctor. 

Plus, I think it would feel like a dick move to be there with someone who gets devastating bad news and then to rush away for a romantic ski trip. I wouldn’t leave him by himself if the news is bad (remember Vargas?). Even good news would warrant some level of friendly celebration. It’s his career on the line. IMO, you’re either there for someone or you’re not.

For both those reasons, I’d cancel the trip. Or bring Casey! That’d be fun. 🥳

• Love 1

Talk about playing out something way too long.... The writers need to either put Brett and Casey together or not. That character has taken more hits then anyone on the show over time and frankly it's to the point of overkill. With that said Casey in a different position in the department would at least give us some new material to deal with and or him taking a leave of absence to making a decision on his future would also at least give something different. Throwback to the Matt Casey construction days?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, dovegrey said:

If Casey actually manages to get in to a doctor right after shift (which is when I thought Grainger wanted to leave), that could be an all day thing with multiple scans, waiting around, and getting bounced around departments. I just spent 10 hours with a family member at a major urban hospital for a scope and a CT between two specialists and an emergency room, and it was supposed to have been a 1-hour morning appointment with the first doctor. 

Plus, I think it would feel like a dick move to be there with someone who gets devastating bad news and then to rush away for a romantic ski trip. I wouldn’t leave him by himself if the news is bad (remember Vargas?). Even good news would warrant some level of friendly celebration. It’s his career on the line. IMO, you’re either there for someone or you’re not.

For both those reasons, I’d cancel the trip. Or bring Casey! That’d be fun. 🥳

This though is in the same fantasy world where Casey just decides he will get an appointment with a specialist at a specific time on Friday without weeks to months of waiting first. And without an actual referral. So I'm sure he won't be there long. Also, every time I've got to the neurologist (a surprisingly high number), they always want scans done tried have to be approved by insurance and scheduled. Again, more waiting. He's not getting answers at this appointment except that it's magic TV medicine.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

This though is in the same fantasy world where Casey just decides he will get an appointment with a specialist at a specific time on Friday without weeks to months of waiting first. And without an actual referral. So I'm sure he won't be there long. Also, every time I've got to the neurologist (a surprisingly high number), they always want scans done tried have to be approved by insurance and scheduled. Again, more waiting. He's not getting answers at this appointment except that it's magic TV medicine.

If he makes the appointment with his GP, who then sends him to the hospital for scans, he could get that part done, get some radiology reports, and then a referral to follow-up with a neurologist. I’ve had exactly that scenario happen IRL; I went to my GP, GP sent me for same-day scans and bloodwork, it took six hours in my small town hospital to get scans/reports, a call from my GP who said “yeah, dunno,” and a referral to a GI specialist. For TV purposes, he could get a GP-ordered head x-ray and an MRI in the same day, and then he can stress out over a couple shifts until he goes to follow-up with a neurologist. Having been through too many hospital systems myself and for family, there’s no way he gets out of there for scans in under five hours. The whole day is blown; bring your phone charger; cancel the ski trip.

I mean, if we want them to be realistic, the episode would be Casey getting bounced between neurology because it’s headaches, ophthalmology because it’s tunnel vision, neurology again because WTF it’s not an eye problem, to the ED because it’s headaches now go away, psychiatry because maybe it’s psychosomatic and he looks a little stressed and probably DRUG SEEKING, to the ED again because the neurologist is on spring break now oops, then back to neurology because oh yeah there’s another neurologist on call, and then out to brain injury rehab because everyone else is sick of him, while he has it out with his insurance carrier over the phone who decides it’s really a worker’s comp issue and he needs to submit everything through the CFD, but, uh oh, he didn’t report the injury. And then he sells Uncle Jake’s Rolex to pay for it all. 😉 

I question more the fact that Casey apparently got away with sustaining two skull fractures (heh, I paused on the 2014 radiology report) and undergoing emergency brain surgery without being required to have follow-up appointments over the years. Nope, he just put it all in a drawer and went about his business...

• Love 3

You all are forgetting that 51 is on "best friends" basis with everyone at Med.  "Okay, Casey, no problem.  We'll slide you in here with the appropriate specialists because we can create an appointment slot just like that."  "Chief, I need to downstaff E51 for a personal matter tomorrow from 1-5 pm"  "No problem, Casey.  I'll find a floater to cover the engine because CFD has dozens of Captains hanging around."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Since it's TV you got to give the writers some slack but yes speaking on several years in the fire service Casey wouldn't be still active with his medical.( Then again officers don't move up without taking exams etc either)

If the show lacks one thing it's maybe too much happy ending and not enough real life in terms of the department. After thinking about it Casey could go to OFI and  or the Academy and still be part of the show since they put Severide I don't know how many times there, CFD has a special ops division that could use a Matt Casey as well. That open office next to the bullpen could be his HQ etc. I guess the show has played out a lot of these plots to the point of being lame some weeks. Two cents

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Littlebitofcheese said:

Since it's TV you got to give the writers some slack but yes speaking on several years in the fire service Casey wouldn't be still active with his medical.( Then again officers don't move up without taking exams etc either)

If the show lacks one thing it's maybe too much happy ending and not enough real life in terms of the department. After thinking about it Casey could go to OFI and  or the Academy and still be part of the show since they put Severide I don't know how many times there, CFD has a special ops division that could use a Matt Casey as well. That open office next to the bullpen could be his HQ etc. I guess the show has played out a lot of these plots to the point of being lame some weeks. Two cents

I mean, sure, but I doubt the Casey storyline is going anywhere with long-term fall out. I'd be surprised if anything more comes out of than, "Great news, Matt, your old injury is resolved and this new one wasn't a big deal. Go have a kid with Brett in season 10." This is the same show that introduced Severide as a desperate drug-seeking addict with a spinal injury, who refused to get help and pressured Shay into switching urine samples and taking drugs off ambo for him...and that resulted in some magical experimental spinal injury cure, period, full stop, nothing more to ever be said. Season 1. Any expectation for (medical) realism on this show is an exercise in frustration. 

• Love 4
On 4/8/2021 at 6:15 PM, iMonrey said:

RItter's boyfriend is goofy looking.

I knew it was the wife poisoning the deli owner. You watch Dateline long enough, you know it's always the wife. Same network, too.

I'm not sure it would have been smoking that much. It's just bread. Generally ovens smoke when something is boiling over onto the surface from overheating. 

Oh God I can see it now, he and Brett have at it with the sexytimes, then Casey passes out or collapses with Brett trying to revive him, fade to black end of season .

• LOL 1

Another episode on Chicago Fire Anatomy, another investigation. This time, carried out by Super Sylvie and newly appointed, Super Violet. The writer's are trying too hard. They need to get back to basics. This is a show about the lives of fireman and paramedics at 51. Not about investigations.

And if Sylvie insists on going to the doctor with Matt, to the point of cancelling her plans with her man, then just have it be as a friend supporting another friend. It would be a nice change if there wasn't another storyline where one character almost dying somehow makes a previously unavailable friend realize how much they loved them all of a sudden. That storyline is played out, across multiple shows. Let her still be a friend without needing to be in love with him. And considering they're bringing up Matt's head injury now, after 7 and half years, I doubt it's going to be something that's insignificant.

I will give credit to Severide for taking ownership of his own mess with the inept recruit, instead of having Boden fight his battles.. I can't say I would have entrusted the guy to refill oxygen, considering he doesn't even considering putting on gloves to pick up a hot metal object. At the same time, the dude's father blowing a gasket because Severide cut his son and taking away his training job is clear overstepping. Why would Severide, with no issue at all with the chief and no ulterior motives, cut his son for no good reason? He would have had to have documented the reasons why he needed to cut the kid, which the father could have read over.

• Love 2
On 4/15/2021 at 11:14 PM, WinJet0819 said:

And if Sylvie insists on going to the doctor with Matt, to the point of cancelling her plans with her man, then just have it be as a friend supporting another friend. It would be a nice change if there wasn't another storyline where one character almost dying somehow makes a previously unavailable friend realize how much they loved them all of a sudden. That storyline is played out, across multiple shows. Let her still be a friend without needing to be in love with him. And considering they're bringing up Matt's head injury now, after 7 and half years, I doubt it's going to be something that's insignificant.

I don't know. Grainger seems to be a Casey-replacement who's not doing the trick for Brett, just like Chaplain What's-His-Name was Brett's lukewarm fallback when Casey accidentally gave Brett the wrong signal and encouraged her to get engaged in season 7 (what a stupid storyline). Beyond all that, Casey and Brett already put it all out there in 9x2 and 9x3; they both already know the other has feelings, and they both individually seem to be aware of the intensity. Gabby's been the issue, along with Matt's penchant for backing off. (If he fights, he blows.)

I see this storyline as Brett getting over seeing Matt as some perfect fairy tale who's doing her a favor by being friends or hooking up (she told Gabby he was "perfect" in season 5...she's been crushing for a long time), and about Matt (hopefully) realizing he doesn't give a shit about Gabby. I equate it to a near-death experience that forces a person to realize it's time to get living. If, at the least, this storyline forces Matt to get living, with or without Brett in the picture, it'll be good. 

(And, really, the sooner they hook-up, the less soap opera drama there will be, unless they're going to be a repeat of the endless, nonstop, off-and-on Stellaride drama that's devoured the show for five years.)

14 hours ago, dovegrey said:

(And, really, the sooner they hook-up, the less soap opera drama there will be, unless they're going to be a repeat of the endless, nonstop, off-and-on Stellaride drama that's devoured the show for five years.)

I would like to see a normal, healthy, stable relationship play out in the background.  They are both more mature/stable individually than Severide and Stella (at least Severide for sure), so I think they could handle it.  Wishful thinking, perhaps.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2021 at 9:13 PM, dovegrey said:

Should they hook up, I feel it will be more of the same that we currently see with Stellaride, and previously between Dawsey. And with both of these relationships in full swing, the show will simply be a parody of itself, with relationship drama and annoying PDAs every week Stellaride drama one week, then Brettsey stuff the next. Ugh. I shudder to think.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

Should they hook up, I feel it will be more of the same that we currently see with Stellaride, and previously between Dawsey. And with both of these relationships in full swing, the show will simply be a parody of itself, with relationship drama and annoying PDAs every week Stellaride drama one week, then Brettsey stuff the next. Ugh. I shudder to think.

It’s been a parody since mid season 5. The shark was jumped when the angry chief disbanded 51 and Herrmann came in histrionically screaming at Boden, while Cruz and Capp went from Squad to 911 dispatch. It never consistently got better after that.  

I hope these writers are looking toward the end of the series (or at least the point where the originals leave), which hopefully means the original characters settle down and the relationships go more toward the Boden/Donna and Cruz/Chloe end of the spectrum. Dawsey was pretty settled from season 4 until Gabby left - I don’t miss her but I do miss that. I’m hoping against hope that Brettsey is a Boden l/Donna. (But I’d take Brettsey drama all day over Gallo/Violet and Ritter’s Insultingly Stereotypical Dating Adventures. I can at least pretend Casey and Brett have nuance and they at least have a few seasons of quality character development from the old days.)

On 4/7/2021 at 11:39 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Cindy's book club is super popular, and has been going on for years now.  Anyone else remember when Herrmann wanted to set up Cop Halstead with someone in Cindy's book club?  That was like 5 years ago.  I don't think I've been in a book club that's been able to last a year, and especially not during COVID.

IIRC, that was a girl in Cindy's exercise class...and then Will got jealous, asking why Hermann automatically thought of his brother and not him, and then Hermann mentioned the girl liked to play bingo or something, and both Halsteads laughed like crazy and said they'd pass.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:17 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I would like to see a normal, healthy, stable relationship play out in the background. 

There is! Mouch and Platt - I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:38 PM, SnarkySheep said:

IIRC, that was a girl in Cindy's exercise class...and then Will got jealous, asking why Hermann automatically thought of his brother and not him, and then Hermann mentioned the girl liked to play bingo or something, and both Halsteads laughed like crazy and said they'd pass.

There is! Mouch and Platt - I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

Actually, we're both wrong - Herrmann said "bridge club." 😉  They both laughed at them playing bridge.  I just caught a rerun of it recently.  Jay passed because he was dating Erin.

There's Mouch and Platt, and Boden and Donna.  I meant for the main characters too.  Let Casey and Brett get together, but now let's not have it shoved down our throats!   

• Love 1