Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06 How Does It Feel To Be So Beautiful?

• Start Topic

Sidelined because of her harrowing ordeal with Marilyn Felker, Clarice goes to Ruth Martin to be reinstated and gets roped into having dinner at the Martin residence. 

Heh, Clarice was brought to the Martin house to help Catherine and Catherine helped her.

So this is why the Krendler drama is in this show? Seems like a long way to go.

• Love 1

It must be great to work in the FBI standing around all day thinking about all the angles of a case that you have already "offically" solved. Ardelia making power moves by "unoffically" transferring to another division (good thing she is her own boss?).

Who would have thought that a "serial killer" show without any "serial killers" in it would be a little on the boring side. I hope at least they catch a case soon.

• Love 4

Through the entire show, I kept remembering I had missed last weeks "Young Sheldon".   Not good.  

Did Catherine always have that exaggerated, twangy accent?  At first I thought she was mocking Clarice's speech.  Then realized it was supposed to be legit.  I know they're from Tennessee, but I never caught that in previous episodes.   

And her finding Bill's mother is ridiculous.  She never leaves the house & there's no Internet or Google yet to search.  Such crap. 

This show will never dial down the Buffalo Bill schtick, so I guess it's useless to expect it.  I just tune out when they keep going back there.  

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Did Catherine always have that exaggerated, twangy accent?  At first I thought she was mocking Clarice's speech.  Then realized it was supposed to be legit.  I know they're from Tennessee, but I never caught that in previous episodes

I do remember original Catherine had a twang, but don't recall hearing this one enough to notice. Interesting, though, that the Senator doesn't seem to have any accent.

46 minutes ago, leighdear said:

And her finding Bill's mother is ridiculous.  She never leaves the house & there's no Internet or Google yet to search.  Such crap. 

This x1000. Writers, if you insist on doing an homage set in past times, at least check for anachronisms before airing it. Ask anybody over 50 to check the script first.

I would also point out that Catherine looked like this Catherine Martin The flat haired/long goddess curls look she's sporting on this show is a 21st century style. Maybe her depression made her hair droop?

• Love 4

That dinner was so awkward, Clarice was probably nostalgic for Buffalo Bill's pit by the end of the night. I liked having conversations between Catherine and Clarice, even if it sucks that Catherine is such a mess. Has her mom tried to get her into therapy? She probably wont go if she cant leave her apartment, although that just makes me wonder how she managed to find Bill's mom as a shut in. Did she find records her mom left around? Did they forget that this show is set in the 90s (like I keep doing) and you cant just Google people? 

I hope we get a few more killers of the week like when Clarice had to take down the Waco Wannabe, I hate when shows get all tied up into convoluted conspiracies and it eats up the whole plot. 

I really need to watch Silence of the Lambs again, I remember about as much about that final confrontation as Clarice does. I remember the gist but not a lot of details. I really hope they don't take Catherine further down this hole, I remember Catherine in the movie to be such a fighter so her becoming this empty shell reliving that pit over and over is just so messed up. Her being traumatized is understandable, but its sad to see her like this. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Wow. I have not seen the Ruth Martin actress in anything else, but I love how she is over the age of 50, she’s not stick-thin, and she’s stunning!

Jayne Atkinson was on several seasons of "Criminal Minds".  She played section chief Erin Strauss.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lostinthehouse said:

Jayne Atkinson was on several seasons of "Criminal Minds".  She played section chief Erin Strauss.

She was also (great) on 24. 

I made it through about half the episode. Deciding if I want to finish.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/3/2021 at 11:31 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Wow. I have not seen the Ruth Martin actress in anything else, but I love how she is over the age of 50, she’s not stick-thin, and she’s stunning!

She was also on Netflix’s House of Cards.  She’s been fairly busy lately.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Useful 1

I love Jayne A. in pretty much anything.  Always a solid performance, realistic portrayals of loads of different character types, looks great, but never tries to look too young & sexy.  For me, she will always be Karen Hayes on "24".  

Funny thing she was born Brit, but moved to the US at 9.  

But sadly, I don't like her momming in this show.  Too much.  

• Love 2
On 4/2/2021 at 11:35 AM, sempervivum said:
On 4/2/2021 at 10:42 AM, leighdear said:

This x1000. Writers, if you insist on doing an homage set in past times, at least check for anachronisms before airing it. Ask anybody over 50 to check the script first.

Not necessarily.  Google may not have existed in 1993/94, but computers and search engines have been around a lot longer than that.  Lexis/Nexis, a searchable database of legal cases and news stories, existed (Alan Dershowitz's novel The Advocate's Devil was published in 1994, and the bad guy using Lexis/Nexis to search for a certain kind of legal case played a big part in the plot.)  The Internet (aka the Information Superhighway) existed, even though everyone didn't have it in their home yet.

Catherine's mother is the freakin' Attorney General of the USA.  She most certainly has access to Lexis/Nexis and other search engines.  She probably has a Commodore 64 or a Tandy with a dialup modem in her home office.   And Catherine has shown that she has no qualms about posing as her mother when it serves her purposes - she may have gotten that information with a phone call!

Computer Geek's Christmas List from 1995

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

She probably has a Commodore 64 or a Tandy

IBM Clones / generic “desktop PCs” were also well on their way to common home use by then. (And you could build your own.) I think by 93/94 I had a regular (locally run) ISP. Google wasn’t around yet, but we had Lycos, or would soon.

(And yes, Lexis/Nexis. And phone books. :))

• Love 2

I don’t care about Catherine or her issues. I hope the show drops that plot. And there’s no way this group of people would have ever been let near VICAP; hell, there’s no way they would have it made to the FBI. Too many issues and personal problems. So I’m at the point where I’m finding most of the show wholly implausible. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/2/2021 at 3:05 PM, tennisgurl said:

that just makes me wonder how she managed to find Bill's mom as a shut in. Did she find records her mom left around? Did they forget that this show is set in the 90s (like I keep doing) and you cant just Google people? 

Commercially available broadband Internet and Google weren’t around yet in the mid-90s, but Mac and PC computers with dial-up Internet (Mindspring, EarthLink, Roadrunner, etc.) were; so was the World Wide Web and search engines - Gopher, Archie, Veronica, Jughead (yes really), Yahoo, Altavista, Infoseek, Lexis/Nexis, Yellowpages.com, etc.  They weren’t as easy to use as Google to be sure, but they were still functional; even more so than their current-day counterparts in some cases, because it took a while for personal privacy rights law to catch up to the Internet age.  Pulling up people’s personal telephone and residence info used to be SCARY easy, unless the target had already jumped through some pretty Byzantine crap to go through an arcane opt-out process - assuming an opt-out existed at all.  So Crazy Cat pulling up somebody’s home address from her penthouse suite at Agoraphobia Central isn’t really that far-fetched at all.  

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1