Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Chapter One: An Unkindness in London

• Start Topic

The story itself was kind of meh and didn't make much sense.  But I like the overall look and feel of the series and the actors are engaging so I'll keep watching to see if the storylines get any better.

• Love 3

I think I would have liked it better if the kids had been adolescent street urchins .. around the age of the kids in the first season of Stranger Things.  That could have been fun. 
Casting the main characters as teenagers (basically adults in Victorian times) makes me feel as if TPTB are wanting to go down the usual angsty , CW network route .. not my favorite thing .. but others may enjoy that. 
They are already setting up a love triangle -- only slightly less painful than having your eyes plucked out by birds. 

.. We will give it a few episodes to see how things go .. 

What is it with anachronistic Sherlock Holmes adaptations and creepy ravens? 

This is exactly the kind of ridiculous show that I love. Its super anachronistic, cliché, and fairly silly, but the actors are engaging and I like looking at a Sherlock Holmes story from the point of view of his plucky street urchin informants. I am really liking the supernatural elements, they seem sufficiently creepy, and its got a lot of action and that Victorian steampunk aesthetic that I always enjoy. Victorian London is a perfect place for monsters and magic and such, this could be a fun ride if they keep this energy up.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/27/2021 at 11:59 AM, humbleopinion said:

Bird Master is actor from GOT.

Nice to see The Hound as a family man.

I didn't know that was The Hound- will have to look again!  Good eye!!

Hmm, I wasn't expecting a supernatural take on SH but why not? It makes dealing with the anachronisms okay. But the moment vampires show up I'm out.

I did recognize the Hound and Jojo Macari looks like Alfie Allen's little brother. Thaddea Graham carried the episode quite impressively. Less convinced of Dr. Watson - he came across awfully flat but I'm intrigued by his relationship to the yet unseen Sherlock.

Pah, magic crows ravens*- nothing a good old shotgun couldn't have sorted out in a jiffy. But they were certainly not the right pets for a hemophiliac prince (who happens to look like James McAvoy's little brother).

Thanks Leopold for the bit of trivia about the iridescent hue on ravens feathers - at least some scientific fact.

• Love 2

Being a life-long Sherlock Holmes fan, I checked it out but found it to be utterly dreadful.  The look is marvelous but the story was boring and the constant anachronisms kept taking me out of it.  All I kept saying was, "Nobody refers to girls as "birds" in 1890's London, referring to a boyfriend instead of "your young man", etc.  Also, to my knowledge, Dr. Watson was always a gentleman and NEVER a totally obnoxious dick!   I found this even worse than Enola Holmes.  

• Love 2

Pegged it as YA in two minutes.

I was with Leopold informing them of the iridescent raven feathers for ten seconds until he said "only found in North West UK.' blah blah blah. Tower of London is crawling with ravens. There will always be ravens at the TOL. Leo should have known that. American writers. Terrible anachronisms like, "boyfriend".

So who is the gay character? You know there has to be one. There's quota of course. I'm guessing Billy.

Since when is John Watson such a cunt. 

I like the actress who plays Bea. And the fabrics on the costumes are dead on.

We hate watched this one I'm afraid.

• Love 2

Watson is a dick. There ain't nothing wrong with that girl wanting to be paid, don't throw it at her.

I'm liking this, the kids have interesting personalities and I love Bea. I could do without the love triangle but then I can always do without the love triangle.

On 4/11/2021 at 7:30 PM, MrsR said:

So who is the gay character? You know there has to be one. There's quota of course. I'm guessing Billy.

I was thinking Watson.

Watson is a notoriously unreliable narrator so I am up for a new interpretation of his character, Holmes’ character, and their relationship. Flipping the script so that Watson is the actual smart one keeping their business afloat could be an interesting take, if that’s where they’re going. Seeing the characters from the outside is interesting too. 

The anachronisms are doing my head in. Unchaperoned teenagers making out on the lawn, “hey you guys”, etc. The  love triangle is boring already, especially as the two boys look so much like each other. I agree with the previous poster that said it would be better if the main characters were younger. 

Right now I’m feeling this is very uneven—interesting elements clumsily applied and executed. First episodes can often have that problem so I'm willing to give it a chance.