Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: May 19, 2020

• Start Topic

I cried through most of that episode. Just family loving each other. Beautiful!

Speaking of family, didn't Darla have a father? I definitely remember Michael Michele, but didn't she have a dad too?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I cried through most of that episode. Just family loving each other. Beautiful!

Speaking of family, didn't Darla have a father? I definitely remember Michael Michele, but didn't she have a dad too?

I thought about that too!  Where was Darla's Dad? and off topic,  Darla sure is a better person than I would be,  for forgiving Nova. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, jrzy said:

Darla sure is a better person than I would be,  for forgiving Nova. 

They have pretty much all forgiven Nova which I can't get on board with on this show but I suppose they had to keep the show moving along with Nova still in it. Now she sits on her perch with her perfect madly in love Calvin and all is well in their fantasy world. Even Calvin's daughter loves her, apparently more than her own mother. 

• Love 7

Nova is still the most problematic character for me, she is self-righteous, self centered and unrepentant for the things she has done to hurt others in her family.  The show creators and writers have a real soft spot for her,  but it does the rest of the show a disservice that she is allowed to not pay for her actions.  Micah too is a character who would be unbearable in real life,  he is a spoiled brat.  

• Love 11

Darla is a very forgiving person allowing Nova to come to her wedding after what she did to her. I know that everyone has forgiven Nova for her horrible book, but I sure haven't. Not only was what she did horribly selfish and hurtful to her family, but it seems like she still isnt really sorry about it. She is just waiting for everyone to say that she was totally right to write the book and that it was "healing" for them and not exploitative and cruel. Her self importance just oozes off the screen, even now that the show is trying to ignore all the damage she did. At least Darla asked Charlie to be the maid of honor and Nova. If she asked Nova to be her maid of honor I was gonna throw things. 

The wedding itself was so sweet, Darla was just glowing and the low key backyard celebration was so lovely. It was such a great breather from the tragedy and sadness of this season, just sweetness and love. It was also funny when Vi was a bit salty about having to make a wedding cake AND find a yellow dress on short notice. The audacity! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

This was a really lovely episode. It was all about finding joy in tough times and that's something we all need more of. I especially enjoyed the conversation between Ralph Angel and Hollywood. You don't get many scenes on TV of Black men supporting each other in healthy ways so that was really good to see.  That said, here are my issues.

• Ralph Angel managed to build a whole trellis in a day? Then somehow clean up then show up to his own wedding. I'm not sure what kind of temporal rift St. Jo's Parish is in but it's not Earth time.
  • We're going to need to talk about Blue. He's moving into "Manny from Modern Family" territory for me.
  • Add me to the list of people who are not here for the insta-forgiveness of Nova. The show had her do something heinous that damaged numerous members of her family and she hasn't earned forgiveness. Not by a long shot.
  • Vi's not wrong. Who plans a same day wedding then has the audacity to have a dress code? 😄

My complaints are still relatively minor. I'm a soap fan from way back and I love a good wedding. I did a lot of smile crying through this whole episode.

• Love 10
38 minutes ago, marceline said:

Vi's not wrong. Who plans a same day wedding then has the audacity to have a dress code? 😄

I look terrible in yellow. A friend of mine did a dress code for her wedding - her side had to wear something yellow, his side had to wear something blue. I wore a print dress with some yellow in it and a yellow flower in my hair. I don't own anything all yellow like the Bordelon women had on because it looks bad on me and it's my least favorite color!

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I don't own anything all yellow like the Bordelon women had on because it looks bad on me and it's my least favorite color!

Same here. I was so jealous over how exquisitely beautiful they all looked because yellow is not my friend at all. I do love it though....just from afar.  I was pretty meh on Darla and RA's wedding but I did love Trudy's letter. As a new mom to a little baby boy, I often look at him and what kind of man he will be and who he will marry so that part just got to me.

I hope I get a Hollywood/Violet kind of love one day.

• Love 3

I thought the wedding was small and sweet and beautiful. 

Of course there was no way to pull off all of that in a day. That was just unrealistic and silly. Why didn't they just write it as a week-long preparation? That still would have qualified as a quick wedding, but at least it would have made sense.

Ralph Angel looks amazing in white. He should wear it all the time, every day. He should sleep in it.

I'm up for that discussion about Blue. It pains me to say it, but that kid irritates me. (ducking behind a tree now)

Wait, I need to add Micah to that list. His "wokeness" has come with a generous side of insufferable! 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, TVForever said:

Wait, I need to add Micah to that list. His "wokeness" has come with a generous side of insufferable!

Doesn't all wokeness? 

This episode was such a relief from the world and made me joyful. I regret that we will have to return to reality next week, and I expect something depressing will happen.

I have never owned a yellow dress and doubt I ever will! I guess if I came in my normal clothes, I would have to hide behind a tree!!

Nova is a total bitch and does not deserve the family's forgiveness or the perfect life she now has.  I love all the other adults. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, TVForever said:

I'm up for that discussion about Blue. It pains me to say it, but that kid irritates me. (ducking behind a tree now)

I'll be with you behind that tree because Blue has irritated me since Season 1, Episode 1. 

I love that viewers are holding Nova accountable even if the show's writers aren't. #neverforget

• Love 7
On 3/18/2021 at 6:07 PM, marceline said:

This was a really lovely episode. It was all about finding joy in tough times and that's something we all need more of. I especially enjoyed the conversation between Ralph Angel and Hollywood. You don't get many scenes on TV of Black men supporting each other in healthy ways so that was really good to see.  That said, here are my issues.

• Ralph Angel managed to build a whole trellis in a day? Then somehow clean up then show up to his own wedding. I'm not sure what kind of temporal rift St. Jo's Parish is in but it's not Earth time.
  • We're going to need to talk about Blue. He's moving into "Manny from Modern Family" territory for me.
  • Add me to the list of people who are not here for the insta-forgiveness of Nova. The show had her do something heinous that damaged numerous members of her family and she hasn't earned forgiveness. Not by a long shot.
  • Vi's not wrong. Who plans a same day wedding then has the audacity to have a dress code? 😄

My complaints are still relatively minor. I'm a soap fan from way back and I love a good wedding. I did a lot of smile crying through this whole episode.

The "Manny from Modern Family" quote made me spit out my coffee!   So true,  the writers better be careful. 

• LOL 1

Nova said she's made some mistakes with Darla. Gee, Nova, ya think?

I thought  that Zoom bachelorette party was cute.

Darla's mom seemed to be reading her lines from something off-screen. She kept trying to tilt her head to make it less noticeable but I still got distracted by it.

Charley and RA's race in the sugar cane field was sweet (no pun 😉).

Yeah, I'd be hard put too to come up with a yellow outfit for a wedding at the last minute. The only things I could scrounge together are an old polo shirt and some socks.

My goodness, Darla was a beautiful bride.

Apparently Darla and RA got the internet connection problem fixed if they could livestream the wedding to Darla's mom on the East Coast.

Calvin, seriously? You don't propose at someone else's wedding. Whatever, that is one marriage I am confident will never come to fruition.

I liked how mindful the characters were being of the safety protocols at the wedding. That must've taken a lot of production planning before it was filmed.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 4

Why wasn’t Prosper at the wedding?

I wondered about too. It was odd they didn't even mention him. Maybe the since all the other characters were paired off they felt he would've looked like the odd man out.

I really loved that episode, it a good lightened episode that was needed. Nice seeing RA and Darla finally getting married. It was a beautiful wedding and they portrayed them finally making it to the day so well. Darla's dress was so pretty, simple and perfect for it. 

I laughed at Vi's  the audacity dress code for the same day wedding and yellow too! I bought a yellow dress once because it was on sale years ago and still have it somewhere. This episode made me think of it, if i ever have a yellow dress code event pop up I'm covered! 

So happy Hollywood made it, wouldn't have been the same without him and especially doing the "best man" speech although Micah had the title. I was worried he'd have to give the speech, that would have been horrible.

Add me to the list that hates Nova being there and everyone forgiving her so fast. I prefer Calvin than Nova, Darla and RA should have both not wanted her there and Nova being at the bachelorette too. 

I think my favourite scene was RA and Charlie. Their kitchen bantering about taking Darla to Vegas and then their race in the fields. I love their relationship and the entire scene made me smile.  

• Love 3