Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: The Legend of the Murder Hotel

• Start Topic

This show finally did a murder hotel...and the ghost wasn't the culprit? I love it.

Nice way to subvert expectations. Like George said, not everything is ghosts, even if the town is haunted and everyone but Carson Drew seems to know,

I had totally forgotten about Nancy being a prospective college student, so I like that the show brought it up again. Those college girls were so warmhearted and nice, even if they bake pancakes in ovens.

Everett proving once more to be a total trashbag of a dad. Please Ryan, hurry up and take him down.

• Love 6

I'm loving this season. The cast has really gelled.

Nancy on paperwork duty for Carson...realistically amusing.

The "ghost" of the week was pretty creepy, and I admit I totally thought it would be supernatural, and really didn't see George / Odette coming. I like George's turns as sly Odette. But I hope they can free George soon, and it's not a season long thing.

Poor Nick, still in the dark about George being possessed. That is *not* going to go over well when he finds out.

The scenes with Nick and Ace stuck with the girls were great, lol.

Ryan continues to surprise me, in that I find his character interesting and watchable.

The preview for next week looks whoa.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 8

So that is what Amanda Bobbsey of the Bobbsey Twins looks like away from her hospital bed, she doesn't look as young as I thought she would be. Go get her Ace! But I thought that Nancy looked old enough to be Carson's wife standing next to him in the opening scenes. Go figure!

I hope the girl's scholarship and admission wasn't tied to her playing athletics, you don't want to switch everything up at college without giving it some thought first.

George is very skinny. I was hoping that the girls would have thought Ned was gay since he kept pining over someone named George, unfortunately the girls had already met George, so that didn't happen.

While Nick's instincts about George not being okay were correct, I hated that he used her locking a door at work as evidence of it. Everyone is entitled to privacy and boundaries, Nick. Back off there a little.

Oh, Ryan, you are an idiot. First you seriously thought you could just go ask your dad's private wealth manager and get access to his off shore accounts and records which is completely moronic. Secondly, you thought that your dad's private wealth manager wouldn't tell your dad that you asked for access to his off shore accounts and records? You really are dumber than you look.

Ha, I love that Ace and Nancy already have a private server set up for things like uploading hotel security footage. OF COURSE THEY DO.

Bess looked really upset/jealous/left out when she heard that though, and she had a similar reaction when she found out that George did some exorcisms without her, so I hope this isn't the beginning of Bess feeling like she's being excluded.

I loved how helpless Nick and Ace were with the three college girls. Then I realized that those three girls are the same age as Nancy and George.

While I get Nancy and Bess being understandably concerned about George being possessed by Odette, so far she doesn't seem to have done anything bad. If anything, she was nice to Jennifer (letting her borrow George's phone and getting her to the bus station). I'm not saying that Odette is 100% harmless (and as Bess pointed out, she did kill a lot of people as the Aglaeca) but she hasn't actually done anything bad just yet. Well, except for telling Bess that the only way for them to get rid of her is to kill George.

I love that Leah Lewis is getting this opportunity because the way she plays Odette is so different.

And Bess is married - DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN!

• Love 7

The show has really gotten better and better since the first half of season 1. I am now thoroughly invested in the series, care about most of the characters, and love the supernatural elements and how everyone is reacting to it.

I'm glad at least Bess and Nancy know about George's possession. Also, I LOVE that the three women teamed up this episode. We need more of just these three hanging out or solving mysteries. I totally understand George's fear about telling Nick about her possession; you could hear it in her voice when she pleaded with Bess to not tell him. She obviously will have to at some point and he isn't going to be happy to be left out on what's going on, especially when he's suspected that George is not alright. It's definitely a situation where they showed both sides to the inevitable fight between the two and I sympathize with both of them. But this show has done well at not letting secrets linger for too long (not including secrets that started pre-series, of course) so I'm hoping that Nick finds out in the next couple of episodes.

Ryan... *sighs* He means well, but he's making mistakes left and right. I'm guessing Nancy got her brains from her mother and Carson. Still, since it's 100% guaranteed that Elder Hudson will find out about Nancy, hopefully Carson and Ryan can have a plan set in motion before that happens. 

It was a fun mystery of the week to have it do nothing with ghosts, but using the fear of the supernatural. The college girls were a tiny bit too naive for me, but I chuckled at Ace/Nick not being able to handle them, and I did like how they made up with their missing friend at the end. 

Bess is married? Huh. For some reason, I wasn't really that surprised because I thought they mentioned it before but maybe not. Choosing to not show her husband/ex husband's face at the end was a weird choice, though. Did they not cast him at the time of filming this episode? 

• Love 7

I really love this show. I think my favourite bits was how exasperated Ace was with the girls. "Who raised you?" and that he called Nick for help, lol. I was really amused by those two trying to wrangle the girls. Also Nick's reaction when Ace abandoned him, heh. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

So that is what Amanda Bobbsey of the Bobbsey Twins looks like away from her hospital bed, she doesn't look as young as I thought she would be. Go get her Ace! But I thought that Nancy looked old enough to be Carson's wife standing next to him in the opening scenes. Go figure!

I hope the girl's scholarship and admission wasn't tied to her playing athletics, you don't want to switch everything up at college without giving it some thought first.

George is very skinny. I was hoping that the girls would have thought Ned was gay since he kept pining over someone named George, unfortunately the girls had already met George, so that didn't happen.

It doesn't help that Scott Wolf doesn't look near old enough to have a college age daughter.

Also, as soon as I heard Nick talking to the girls about George, I was kinda hoping they would jump to the wrong conclusion, just because they were just a weirdly unprepared for life.  I mean, I know you can make pancakes in the oven, but don't they usually need eggs? 

• Love 2

I love haunted hotels so of course I loved this episode, even if it turns out that there isn't an actual ghost this time. I like that this time it was just someone trying to increase tourism instead of an actual ghost and that someone was actually trying to use Horseshoe Bay's reputation of being haunted to bring ghost tourists in, that seems really real. Horseshoe Bay: Home of Lobster Rolls and Hauntings. Like George said, its not always ghosts. 

I have wondered if we would return to Nancy wanting to go to college, so this was a nice way to explore Nancy Drew, perspective college student. They tied that into the mystery pretty well and I thought the case was fun in general. The college girls were a LOT but watching Nick and Ace dealing with their energy was hilarious, and it was sweet that they still supported their friend when she said she didn't want to play volleyball. 

We finally get to see Amanda Bobbsey outside of her hospital, and she seems pretty cool and clearly has great taste in men. Ace is always awesome and hasn't had much romantic luck so I hope that this goes well for him. He's a real catch, he watches Downton Abbey! Of course he and Nancy have a private server already set up, I would be more surprised if they didn't. 

Ryan trying to take down his father should be interesting and I am glad that he is finally trying to do the right thing, but this plan is so obviously going to backfire. At least we get more odd couple hijinks between Ryan and Carson. "I only have $50s."  

Leah Lewis is clearly enjoying getting to play Odette as well as George, but George really needs to tell Nick the truth. He is going to be even more upset finding out that his friends are hiding this. In general, everyone in the group needs to start being upfront with each other about all of these secrets and plans are just going to lead to even more problems. Odette doesn't exactly seem to be evil now that she is herself, but she is also hanging around in George's body without her permission, so I don't know what her end game will be. Except that I am really loving sly French George. 

Bess is married? I guess she has been in the background for awhile now but this is new information right? Is there a reason we didn't see his face?

• Love 7

Kind of cool that the main case wasn't supernatural related for once and it even ended up not being an actual crime, but the supposed victim looking for an excuse to get out of dodge, because she was going through some stuff.  A refreshing change of pace.

Part of me thinks that the antics with the college students might have worked better if they were in high school, because it reminded me that both Nancy and George are their age too, and there is such a big gap there.  That said, I can buy that a lot of it might be that Nancy and George been through a lot compared to most girls their age (and that's not even including the supernatural stuff!), and probably just matured at a different rate.  Either way, the college students antics were a bit formulaic, but still fun: especially watching them frazzle both Ace and Nick.  And I did like that they were well-meaning and honestly did want to do everything to find their friend (and being understanding over her not wanting to be a volleyball player anymore.)  I actually wouldn't mind if they found a way to bring them back.  All of the actresses fit their roles well.

Hey, Amanda Bobbsey is back!  And totally making eyes at Ace (and vice versa.)  I'd be down with that!

George is actually being possessed by Odette from time to time, which is troubling but at least Odette is doing anything nefarious as of now.  Leah Lewis seem to be having fun with the French accent and being a bit "cool" in those scenes.  Of course her not telling Nick (right now) is totally going to backfire.

Speaking of which, I'm glad Ryan is sincere with trying to takedown Everett, but you just know he's going to end up being outplayed.  I just don't think the fellow has the smarts to stay on his dad's level.  Hopefully it will workout somehow.  I do like how it has led to him retaining Carson's services again.  Carson/Scott Wolf's face when Ryan said he "only" had fifty dollar bills had me laughing for a good few seconds.

So, Bess has a husband?  That should be juicy!

Really feels like this show has found its groove now.

• Love 6

Agreed that this show has really found its groove. 

1. Yes! More Nancy, George and Bess team-ups, please. Nothing against Nick and Ace exactly, but even leaving the books aside, the three of them work so well together.

2. That said, George, Bess, if I may make a slight suggestion? Invest in your own flashlights. Depending upon Nancy's single flashlight is probably not a good long term plan here.

3. Now that he's flirted - however poorly - with a Bobbsey Twin, Ace has to be a Hardy Boy, right?  And perhaps more importantly, a Hardy Boy who watches Downton Abbey.

4. And oh, man. Poor Bess. First she finds out that Ace and Nancy have a private server, then that George has been doing exorcisms without her, then she has to read Candide and she still has no idea what the book is about, and she was stuck in that ridiculous shirt, and now - wait, she's married? To a person who had the nerve to interrupt the cute Ace/Bobbsey Twin flirting? How dare you, sir.

5. Loved the scene with Nancy Drew at the bus stop. And pleased to see that she's starting her college applications. Nancy, you can use the name that's on your driver's license for that, which is presumably Drew, and then just explain the rest of it in your college essay. Bonus: not putting Nancy Hudson on an internet college application form increases the chances that your biological grandfather won't find out who you are and try to kill you. Also pleased that this show remembered that online classes exist - most TV shows tend to forget this - which would allow Nancy to go to college and chase ghosts when not in class.

6. On a related note, Ryan continues to be a total screwup, doesn't he? And, also, Ryan, I don't mean to be critical, but not all places can break a $50 or $100. Start carrying around some $20s at least. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, quarks said:

she's married? To a person who had the nerve to interrupt the cute Ace/Bobbsey Twin flirting? How dare you, sir.

Irrefutable proof that he is Not A Good Guy.

Also, what the hell was Bess wearing? Whoever came up with that - designer, costumer - needs a time out or something, cause that was stupid looking as well as poorly designed.

Edited by jelaine
forgot to add my revulsion at Bess's top
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, jelaine said:

Irrefutable proof that he is Not A Good Guy.

Also, what the hell was Bess wearing? Whoever came up with that - designer, costumer - needs a time out or something, cause that was stupid looking as well as poorly designed.

Given how the CW shows work, I'm fairly sure this was a designer offering the shirt to the costumer for free for promotional purposes. At least for me, though, it backfired - I know Bess is supposed to be the stylish, trendy, clothes-obsessed one, but the shirt was extremely distracting, looked ridiculous, and even on Maddison Jaizani, looked terrible. It might have worked if the Drew Crew had been heading to some sort of fancy party or even a bar, but since they weren't, yikes. 

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, quarks said:

Given how the CW shows work, I'm fairly sure this was a designer offering the shirt to the costumer for free for promotional purposes. At least for me, though, it backfired - I know Bess is supposed to be the stylish, trendy, clothes-obsessed one, but the shirt was extremely distracting, looked ridiculous, and even on Maddison Jaizani, looked terrible. It might have worked if the Drew Crew had been heading to some sort of fancy party or even a bar, but since they weren't, yikes. 

Exactly. It would have worked better if she had been doing something besides lurking in a hotel basement and sitting around the storage room at The Claw. At least if they'd gone out to a bar at night, it would have made sense why she decided to wear a giant transparent organza ribbon, but in the middle of the day while detectiving? It looked ludicrous and totally out of place, especially in a place like Horseshoe Bay.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Exactly. It would have worked better if she had been doing something besides lurking in a hotel basement and sitting around the storage room at The Claw. At least if they'd gone out to a bar at night, it would have made sense why she decided to wear a giant transparent organza ribbon, but in the middle of the day while detectiving? It looked ludicrous and totally out of place, especially in a place like Horseshoe Bay.

Especially since Nancy and George were wearing functional yet flattering clothes and especially especially since the show has made a point of noting that all of the characters have lockers right there which can presumably be used to store a couple of appropriate shirts. Or they can leave those in George's office, wherever. And especially especially especially since Bess knows at this point that Nancy's detective excursions frequently lead to creepy crawly places and woods filled with brambles/weeds and whatever; that shirt was just crying out to get caught on something. I know you're in Maine/Vancouver so a T-shirt might not have been warm enough, but there's nothing wrong with the long sleeved shirts and sweatshirts that Nancy, George and the volleyball team members were all wearing. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, quarks said:

Especially since Nancy and George were wearing functional yet flattering clothes and especially especially since the show has made a point of noting that all of the characters have lockers right there which can presumably be used to store a couple of appropriate shirts. Or they can leave those in George's office, wherever. And especially especially especially since Bess knows at this point that Nancy's detective excursions frequently lead to creepy crawly places and woods filled with brambles/weeds and whatever; that shirt was just crying out to get caught on something. I know you're in Maine/Vancouver so a T-shirt might not have been warm enough, but there's nothing wrong with the long sleeved shirts and sweatshirts that Nancy, George and the volleyball team members were all wearing. 

And on top of all that, when you're investigating, you want to blend in, not stand out. A nondescript outfit is much better for digging around a hotel for clues about a girl who disappeared than the kind of shirt that will make someone being questioned by Tamura say, "Oh, YES, the girl with the crazy green shirt! I totally remember her being here yesterday!"

• Love 4
On 3/11/2021 at 9:51 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved how helpless Nick and Ace were with the three college girls. Then I realized that those three girls are the same age as Nancy and George.

I thought Nick and Ace (and Bess) were supposed to be roughly the same age as George and Nancy. I was so confused by why they were acting like they were so much older than the college students. I thought the Drew Crew were all like 19/20/21 so basically the same age as the college students.

On 3/11/2021 at 11:04 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Choosing to not show her husband/ex husband's face at the end was a weird choice, though. Did they not cast him at the time of filming this episode? 

I was wondering if maybe with covid they just didn’t want to have him on set just for that brief scene.

This show is legitimately my fave show on the air right now and I feel no shame in that lol.

• Love 3

I love Ace and Nick being frustrated by the college girls. I think this really just emphasized the difference between our protagonists and normal young adults. It's nice to see them solve a normal mystery. I liked the girl and her conversation with Nancy, and that her teammates didn't seem bothered by her quitting the team and were just glad she was okay. I didn't think Bobbsey twin was being tricked when Nancy said she'd call in someone for the computer problems after she said the computer was password protected. I thought it was "ah, yes, wink, wink, of course your friend can work on the computer for the thing I just said I would help with if I could hack" two conversations at once thing.