Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: Funny What Things Remind Us

jewel21
  • Start Topic

While completing a task assigned by headquarters, Boden makes an unforeseen connection. Gallo is forced to make a surprise rescue to one of their own when the firehouse is called to the site of a construction explosion. Mouch reignites an old feud.

Airdate: 01/27/2021

I never thought I would hate donuts. Thanks Chicago Fire!

How is dropping donuts in front of a fire house funny to anyone? Some poor person is waking up early in the morning to just make donuts, no one is buying them and straight to the garbage. Waste of food.

I'm sure Mouch passed the clean up duty to Gallo and Ritter and Rutledge didn't clean up at his house. Too bad we couldn't get Boden's reaction to this.

If Kelly is getting freaked out over the talk around CFD about him and Kidd, he might as well kick out Casey from the apartment before word gets around the 3 lives there.

It probably went through Severide's mind to volunteer to the wife to watch the husband so he has another excuse to not be around Kidd.

So annoying watching Casey and Sylvie look at one another when they are talking to another person. How many seasons has this nonsense been going on? Writers! Please make a decision and come to a conclusion with this storyline. It's reached absurdity levels now.

Looked weird for Chief Boden to do that board up job. I can see that's something for Hermann to do.

Why was only 81 called to the demolition scene and the car crash? No need for rescue? Dispatch probably heard Cruz was in charge and passed.

Sydney didn't get a vibe that Casey is awkward!?? 

• Love 4

The writers hang their proverbial hat on these endless, frustrating will-they-won’t-they, multi-season soap opera romances…and, for me, it’s like, no, I’ve been waiting since season 1 for Casey to settle down and have a kid. Let him settle down and have a kid. If Casey and Brett are going to get together, put them together and be done with it. Or put him with this random Sydney character and be done with it. But just be done with it. No one cares about Gabby.

Plus, if Jesse Spencer and/or Taylor Kinney don’t renew for next season, this neverending will-they-won’t-they BS for either couple will be a short-sighted, ridiculous waste of time (and after, what, five years for Stellaride?).

How did Mouch have such a professional looking doughnut sign made in a few hours? And how did Mouch afford a dump truck? And how did Firehouse 40 afford a helicopter? Firefighters must be making bank…or have access to some pretty expensive favors.

I seriously can’t stand Kidd near-constantly begging Severide for professional help, or whining about him not helping. I haven’t liked it since the officer plot started for her last year. It IS nepotism. He doesn’t help ANYONE else, ever. JFC, Kidd, stop asking your officer boyfriend for professional favors. Ask Herrmann.

It’s sad that Severide doesn’t respect Kidd enough to tell her what’s going on and let her decide how to handle her own career. I'm cringing in anticipation of the scene where she pouts at him and says "awww, how sweet" when she finds out. Plus, his approach here doesn’t make much sense to me. The chief said the issue was Kidd dating someone who is friends with the commissioner, not Kidd dating someone who helps her on exam prep…so, since they haven’t broken up, what does he think he’s accomplishing? Will the chief magically know (or even care) that Capp and Brett helped Kidd instead of Severide?

Anyway, I think all these shows should be called Chicago Anvil. So freaking predictable.

Edited by dovegrey
  • Love 2

What is kelly waiting for to tell stella whats going on? How does he think this approach is better? Or maybe he hasn´t learn a thing and is just hiding. She needs to know was those people at HQ are saying behind her back.

I just want silvie and casey to get together and be done with it, but please no more rebound relationships in between, like how long is that gonna take? I hate that storyline already.

• Love 4

Haven't we done the 'fall in love with someone you rescued' storyline before in season 1? Notwithstanding that this season has been seriously hamstrung by CoVid restrictions, but holy hell it's tedious. 

Have squad actually done anything this year? 

The new chick isn't really doing much for me either, obviously they are trying to force her and Gallo, but there is literally nothing there to work with. The Gallo/Ritter dynamic had more promise, even as a bromance. And the Cruz thing is just getting creepy. 

Stella & Severide is as dry as four month old crackers. 

• Love 4

Anyone else feel bad for Capp?  He should take over Squad when Severide goes on a different assignment, because he's been there way longer than Cruz.

All of these guys brooding over stupid things that could easily be fixed with one adult conversation is stupid.  Oops, I used "stupid" twice in one sentence.  I guess that shows what I think about the storylines this season...  

The donut pranks?  Umm... super childish.  (There, I didn't use "stupid." 😉)  They weren't even funny.  And why does Mouch care so much about where he sits??  That's truly his only personality trait.  His gravestone will say "Here Lies Mouch, a man who only cared about where he could sit."  It took me a second to even remember that he is married to Trudy; when she showed up in that scene I first wondered why she was there.

I actually liked the story with Boden in this episode.  He's behind the scenes too much and it was nice to see him get a little time with a solo story.  Maybe I watch too much Chicago PD too, but I thought of a badge number right away; as CFD officers, they should have too especially if Boden's father was a police officer!  Is that a new detail?  I don't remember hearing that before.  

Edited by FnkyChkn34
fixed typo
  • Love 1

The writers hang their proverbial hat on these endless, frustrating will-they-won’t-they, multi-season soap opera romances…and, for me, it’s like, no, I’ve been waiting since season 1 for Casey to settle down and have a kid. Let him settle down and have a kid. If Casey and Brett are going to get together, put them together and be done with it. Or put him with this random Sydney character and be done with it. But just be done with it. No one cares about Gabby.

Amen to this. I'm so over Casey and Sylvie shooting each other mooning looks while the other talks to a potential date. It's so 7th grade. I want to say I can't believe the writing is this childish but I've been watching this show for nine years and I know better. 

Remember Hallie? Casey's original girlfriend who died in a fire? Weren't they at odds over having a child? And then the same thing with Gabby? It's a wonder Casey hasn't adopted by now.

Just let Casey get together with this new girl, settle down and have a kid. The workplace romances are Soap Opera 101.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, callmebetty said:

I hate Casey and Sylvie and their relationship.  I feel no chemistry.  So either put them together or finally end this. Either way I could care less.

I must have missed something, but didn't Brett marry a fire chaplain a few seasons ago??

4 hours ago, preeya said:

I must have missed something, but didn't Brett marry a fire chaplain a few seasons ago??

They were engaged in 7x22 and split two episodes later in season 8. All of season 9 has been about Brett and Casey finally hooking up.

• Love 1

What a waste of time and effort in the stupid donut games between those 2.  Did anybody find that funny? Writers?

The only one I care about on this show anymore is Boden and even that couldn't keep me watching to the end. 

• Love 1

Is this the first time we've heard Randall McHolland's full name?

I'd like to be in the next room if the helicopter pilot got called on the carpet by the FAA for dumping projectiles on a city street, and flying below 500' in the city.  Dropping objects is legal if done so as not to injure or damage property, but that would be a stretch here.  As they say, it's all fun and games until the cops show up.

Boden's story line was good.

16 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Is this the first time we've heard Randall McHolland's full name?

I'd like to be in the next room if the helicopter pilot got called on the carpet by the FAA for dumping projectiles on a city street, and flying below 500' in the city.  Dropping objects is legal if done so as not to injure or damage property, but that would be a stretch here.  As they say, it's all fun and games until the cops show up.

Boden's story line was good.

When Mouch ran for union president back in season 2 and tried to scramble support to save 51 from being shut down, his full name was mentioned a lot. (I remember that off the top of my head because I loved that stretch of season 2.)

Yeah, the whole donut thing went from being a mildly irritating distraction to a completely unrealistic stain on the episode. I think the writing room has the collective mental age of a 3rd grader.  

I liked Boden's storyline, too, but it also reminded me of the one-off storyline he had in season 7 about some woman he knew from high school whose kid tried to kill her. It was a one-and-done storyline, never to be mentioned again. I'd like for Boden to have a few good, meaningful story arcs instead of one special episode per season. Eamonn Walker is fantastic, and he was allowed to shine in the earlier years. (Remember the kid they thought was setting houses on fire, and that was Boden's ongoing season 1 storyline with a horrific ending? Something like that.)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, dovegrey said:

When Mouch ran for union president back in season 2 and tried to scramble support to save 51 from being shut down, his full name was mentioned a lot. (I remember that off the top of my head because I loved that stretch of season 2.)

Yeah, the whole donut thing went from being a mildly irritating distraction to a completely unrealistic stain on the episode. I think the writing room has the collective mental age of a 3rd grader.  

I liked Boden's storyline, too, but it also reminded me of the one-off storyline he had in season 7 about some woman he knew from high school whose kid tried to kill her. It was a one-and-done storyline, never to be mentioned again. I'd like for Boden to have a few good, meaningful story arcs instead of one special episode per season. Eamonn Walker is fantastic, and he was allowed to shine in the earlier years. (Remember the kid they thought was setting houses on fire, and that was Boden's ongoing season 1 storyline with a horrific ending? Something like that.)

Yeah, Boden is the only character I still like. I'd watch him in a spinoff just about him.

How can civilians just wander into the firehouse? You can't do that here. Hated the donut plot.

I actually enjoyed the Boden/Severide plot but not the Kidd/Severide plot. JUST TALK TO HER!

• Love 2
On 1/27/2021 at 9:20 PM, mxc90 said:

If Kelly is getting freaked out over the talk around CFD about him and Kidd, he might as well kick out Casey from the apartment before word gets around the 3 lives there.

So annoying watching Casey and Sylvie look at one another when they are talking to another person. How many seasons has this nonsense been going on? Writers! Please make a decision and come to a conclusion with this storyline. It's reached absurdity levels now.

OMG!!! Exactly all of this!!!! How hard can it be for Severide to have a simple conversation explaining to Stella that she needs to prepare for her Lt. exam on her own and not be so dependent on him? That's a much better option than simply ghosting her. And as a result, the show continues to make Stella seem weak because she "needs Severide to have her back." 

And I, too, am sick of the constant sideway glances the two keep sharing. We continually saw this on Med. This show is really starting to get the feel of Grey's Anatomy or Station 19. If they're not going to be together, stop wasting screen time showing these glances and envy when they're speaking to another person. Let them co-exist and not manufacture tension. It seems this season, in particular, all the Chicago shows are trying to push relationship tension down the viewers' throats. And it's getting tired.

Trying to push Gallo and Mackie together is another force job. In just her fourth episode, and they're already trying to push Mackie and Gallo. Stupid. They should have just let Gallo work things out with Violet from the previous season.

I really can't believe what this show has devolved into. Maybe it should be called Chicago Fire Anatomy.

The crap with the donuts is just plain childish. The fact Casey, a Captain, even allowed this is mind-boggling. That's not what the CFD does.

And as others have mentioned, why his Cruz now second-in-command on Squad when Capp and Tony have been there far longer? The accuracy of the show has really began to dip sharply these past few seasons.

The only redeeming quality was Boden's storyline with the old cop.

• Love 1
On 1/27/2021 at 9:22 PM, dovegrey said:

On 1/28/2021 at 11:42 AM, iMonrey said:

Amen to this. I'm so over Casey and Sylvie shooting each other mooning looks while the other talks to a potential date. It's so 7th grade. I want to say I can't believe the writing is this childish but I've been watching this show for nine years and I know better. 

Remember Hallie? Casey's original girlfriend who died in a fire? Weren't they at odds over having a child? And then the same thing with Gabby? It's a wonder Casey hasn't adopted by now.

Just let Casey get together with this new girl, settle down and have a kid. The workplace romances are Soap Opera 101.

Totally agree with both of you. The Matt-Sylvie crap is tired. The glances and the jealously just keeps prolonging the will they won't they. The writers said there would be a definitive answer on their relationship after the the first 3 episodes. They're not together, so it makes no sense to keep trying to push it with the forced tension. Portray them like normal first responders, and have them find love OUTSIDE of their house.

17 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

And as others have mentioned, why his Cruz now second-in-command on Squad when Capp and Tony have been there far longer? The accuracy of the show has really began to dip sharply these past few seasons.

The only redeeming quality was Boden's storyline with the old cop.

I can kind of buy that, though, to be honest. Time in grade or length of service doesn’t always (or even often) equate to leadership skill and ability to manage an incident scene. Some people are more skilled and/or happier NOT being in charge. With Tony and Capp being recurring at best, it’s probably also a main cast thing - should Cruz/Joe Minoso really get leapfrogged by a recurring character who totals about three lines a season? I’m more annoyed by Squad so frequently only having three available firefighters because Severide has to Do Other Things; yeah, no.

Now, the show has done exactly nothing to show that Cruz has more leadership skill under pressure than Capp or Tony. That’s a problem. I don’t think they’ve ever actually shown Cruz on a call as acting lieutenant, not even when he covered for Severide for that long OFI stretch last season. Maybe one of those serious storylines these writers are so hard up to find could center on Acting Lt. Cruz messing up a call, while Severide is roaming abandoned houses in Chicago so he can avoid talking to his girlfriend.

18 hours ago, dovegrey said:

I can kind of buy that, though, to be honest. Time in grade or length of service doesn’t always (or even often) equate to leadership skill and ability to manage an incident scene. Some people are more skilled and/or happier NOT being in charge. With Tony and Capp being recurring at best, it’s probably also a main cast thing - should Cruz/Joe Minoso really get leapfrogged by a recurring character who totals about three lines a season? I’m more annoyed by Squad so frequently only having three available firefighters because Severide has to Do Other Things; yeah, no.

Now, the show has done exactly nothing to show that Cruz has more leadership skill under pressure than Capp or Tony. That’s a problem. I don’t think they’ve ever actually shown Cruz on a call as acting lieutenant, not even when he covered for Severide for that long OFI stretch last season. Maybe one of those serious storylines these writers are so hard up to find could center on Acting Lt. Cruz messing up a call, while Severide is roaming abandoned houses in Chicago so he can avoid talking to his girlfriend.

Sort of in response to this question, it'll never be Tony - because Tony is a real-life Chicago firefighter and not an actor.  But alternatively, it probably SHOULD be Tony for exactly the same reason!  He's on Squad in real life. 😉 

https://chicagotv.fandom.com/wiki/Tony_Ferraris

• Useful 1