Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Alone Together

jewel21
  • Start Topic

In the aftermath of the dam break, massive mudslides wreak havoc throughout Los Angeles. As Athena fights to save herself and an agoraphobic woman after her house collapses, Bobby, Hen and Eddie rush to save hikers endangered by the falling of the Hollywood sign. Meanwhile, Buck and Chimney must rescue a group of pregnant women trapped in a submerged house.

Airdate: 01/25/2021

I felt like this episode didn't grab me right away, but about halfway through it really got going. I liked the hiker triangle, I didn't see it coming that Mud Guy was going to profess his love. He just seemed like a typical jerk because she moved in. Not like we haven't seen that type before in real life. Anyway, the segment where Athena helped save Sylvia and Chimney delivered the pregnant woman's baby girl was really good. And of course helped him to see that he needed to be at Maddie's side at home with her. 

Didn't really feel that emotional until I saw Christopher and Carla onscreen reading to him. And Hen and Karen's daughter is about the most precious thing I've ever seen. 

• Love 10

May really bothered me during this episode and it feels like bad writing that was untrue to the character. When she got on the radio and told her mother to leave an injured woman, that was just so awful. "Get out of there before you both die!" and she said it over an open channel where Sylvia could hear her. She has to know Athena would never do that. It just felt so out of character and heavy handed.

I like seeing Michael and David in a happy loving relationship. I especially like the glimpse at David's routine upon coming home. Those little things people do to keep their loved ones safe during this time are nice to see when out here in the real world others can be so cavalier.

The bedtime story between Carla and Christopher was sweet but it made me realize I want to learn more about Carla. She came on the show as a caretaker for Abby's mom then became a caretaker for Christopher. She's this ever present angel who can always be counted on to show up but we don't know anything about her life or background.

1 hour ago, HerkyJerky said:

What was the "Dad joke" that Chimney said when they were looking for the hikers?  Just like in real life, I have a hard time understanding people when they're wearing a mask.

He said that the hikers should've bought a vowel.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
26 minutes ago, marceline said:

May really bothered me during this episode and it feels like bad writing that was untrue to the character. When she got on the radio and told her mother to leave an injured woman, that was just so awful. "Get out of there before you both die!" and she said it over an open channel where Sylvia could hear her. She has to know Athena would never do that. It just felt so out of character and heavy handed.

I think it's a difficult situation because I do think part of it was weird writing...but May also almost lost her mom a few months prior in that attack. I could see how she would be scared enough with this immediate dire situation to say the entire wrong thing just to try to save her mother's life. And she's still very young, so I think the issue was more with HOW she said it, rather than her saying something like that. I'm glad Maddie handled the situation fairly well, besides not sending May away right away when she tried to listen in. But I also get it, since Maddie was trying to keep calm and help Athena and Sylvia at the time. 

The episode, overall, was just ok. I just wasn't as invested in it as the last two season openers and I can't quite figure out why. 

I did like Chimney's storyline this episode. I thought his fears about parenthood was done fairly well. I'm glad he finally went home to be with Maddie. And the weird adoption ring storyline was typical 9-1-1, in the sense that of COURSE the LAFD would stumble upon something like this during a crisis. But this episode was definitely more dramatic than I expected. It started out campy and turned super dramatic and serious. But it wasn't bad.

Michael and David seem to have a good system going. I can't wait to see more of them.

I'm glad we got a glimpse of Christopher and Carla. Her reading them both a bedtime story was so super sweet.

Buck is seeing a therapist! Called it! I'm glad he's seeing a therapist, though. After everything he went through, especially in 2019, he definitely needs it. Though how his roommates (Chimney and now Albert) don't hear what he's talking about, I have zero idea. It's not like he is in a room with a door blocking himself from the rest of his place. He's in an open concept apartment. Chimney and now Albert should be able to hear his therapy session quite clearly. 

• Love 5

Not as exciting or as crazy as the last few big two part disaster episodes, but still a pretty good episode, I think it got better as it went on and I was onboard by the time we got to the end. The opener with the quarantine love triangle was fun, I really should have seen some kind of twist coming with their issues and the roommates resentment. That is going to be a really long, awkward twelve hour drive home. 

May didn't handle hearing her mom in trouble over the emergency line, but it is at least understandable, considering her mom was badly hurt and could have died not too long ago. Maddie was right to send her away to take a break, I think that May will do a good job at the emergency call center long term, but she still has a way to go to handle these really intense situations. Especially as both her mom and her step dad are both emergency responders and everyone on this show is a major danger magnet. 

Athena really needs to learn her lesson about back up, just stop going off on your own, it never ends well! I did like her plot with Sylvia and Athena and Chimney and the pregnant women going at the same time, and that they helped them both hopefully get over some of their respective issues. I am especially glad that Chimney is finally moving back in with Maddie, his worries are understandable but they really do need to be together, as long as they keep taking precautions. 

Of course they don't just find a baby trapped in a collapsed house, its actually part of a baby trafficking ring and it filled with pregnant women being locked up and having their babies sold on the black market. Because its this show and everything is always at an eleven. 

It was nice to see a bit of Michael and his boyfriends routine, I am really glad to see him so happy in his new relationship, especially after everything that happened last season with him. I am also really glad that Buck is seeing a therapist, after everything that has gone down last season he could probably really benefit from it. 

Honestly, everyone on this show should probably be seeing a therapist, but this is a start at least. 

Nice seeing Carla, and especially Christopher, who is adorable as always. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

The episode, overall, was just ok. I just wasn't as invested in it as the last two season openers and I can't quite figure out why. 

Maybe we're becoming disaster weary? I mean, the main takeaway from this show is never move to L.A. Tsunamis, mudslides, earthquakes . . . stay away!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe we're becoming disaster weary?

In general too.

The guy who was the original boyfriend in the hiker triangle played a casually heartless killer in 10 episodes of Major Crimes, so I kept giving him the side-eye, heh.

Okay. This is a little crazy. The 2 actors playing the roommates are brothers in real life??? (Shane Coffey and Garrett Coffey, https://en.everybodywiki.com/Garrett_Coffey, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13621696/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast)

ETA: I wonder if the pandemic influenced casting brothers (if they were living together anyway). 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

I wonder what kind of feelings Buck's hiding from the people. And BTW, Buck was so hot in this episode!

When Athena switched on the lights on her car I wondered why didn't she switch on the sound too. The 'ioioio' would be much louder than she could ever be.

I liked the episode. I missed the 118 and the rest of them.

• Love 2

Hen and Karen's little girl is seriously giving Christopher a run for his money in the amazing adorable child in this show stakes. I just hope she doesn't get a disaster episode. Christopher has also clearly grown up a bunch since we saw him last. But the show jumped forward so he's still right on track. 

• Love 9

The moments with Christopher, oh that gives me the feels.

12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe we're becoming disaster weary? I mean, the main takeaway from this show is never move to L.A. Tsunamis, mudslides, earthquakes . . . stay away!

I was kind of rolling my eyes at the Hollywood sign coming down. I'm near L.A. and we have storm and mudslide warnings. So then I'm like, okay, it could happen.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There was a key component missing from this disaster. Chris and by extension Buck's bond with Chris made that whole scenario much more involving and gut wrenching. 

I have zero problem with May's reaction to her mother being harm.

It's her mom.

She's new to the job. She's learning. She also hasn't learned to detach her emotions from the situation yet.

I've said this many times but calling someone's behavior out of character never makes any sense to me when that's usually the point. They are nervous, upset, confused or many other things. People don't always react correctly for every situation. No matter how mature or level headed they are.

• Love 7

The moments with Christopher, oh that gives me the feels.

I was wondering if we'd see him this season. I thought maybe his parents wouldn't want him working during the pandemic. Notice he was far removed from the action of the episode and only appeared with one other actor.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

I had a REAL moment when they showed Michael getting things ready for David to come home.  David having to strip off his scrubs at the door and get in the shower before actually being able to be present with Michael...boy was that familiar.  I used to have to have my husband hold the cat so he wouldn't brush up against my legs while I was decontaminating.

I haven't watched a lot of shows that are dealing with pandemic issues, but given everything, I feel like 9-1-1 is handling it really well.

• Love 5