Type keyword(s) to search

FilmNight: Movies you watched recently

• Start Topic

On 6/26/2024 at 9:03 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

There isn't a thread for mini-series/tv show you watched recently, and this might as well have been a 10 hour movie, so I'm putting it here, since I don't know if a tv thread would have much traffic. We tend to discuss shows here as well, so I think it's okay?

Finally a mini-series from when I was a kid is available on Paramount+ and I watched it this week: Original Shogun with Richard Chamberlain.

I remember watching snippets of it when it first aired in 1980, but I swear, I don't remember that 90% of the dialogue was in Japanese WITHOUT subtitles! As we were seeing it from BlackThorne's side. It made me wonder how the viewing audience back then reacted to that. But it was a mega hit, so I guess I just answered my question?

And what a great cast. Who knew Father Alvito wasn't a nemesis, after all. Or was he, and just very clever?

God, the 80s were ripe with the epic mini-series' with high production values. Shogun, The Thorn Birds, North & South, to name a few.

I have no desire to see the updated one. Because it doesn't have...Richard Chamberlain. Lord, the man had such beautiful eyes, and what an actor. Now I'll be waiting until The Thorn Birds is streaming.

The only thing that annoyed me, if you will, is how Blackthorne/Anjin and Mariko suddenly started speaking in, what I would describe as Shakespearean (thee, thou, art) once they became lovers. Just made me roll my eyes, when before, they spoke using words like you, are, is, etc.

And I appreciated, that when stabbing themselves as part of seppuku, or getting beheaded, the audience was spared the blood and gore. And I understand the updated series on Hulu/FX is quite the gore-fest. No thank you.

And of course I downloaded the book, which is in two parts in Kindle version.

I remember all of them, from when I was little. I don't know how old I was when "Lace" was on over two or three nights. I just remember us all rushing to be ready when they started. I found that on youtube, when I couldn't sleep, last year. 

I think "I Know My First Name is Steven" aired when I was a teenager. 

Edited by Anela
On 6/26/2024 at 6:03 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

There isn't a thread for mini-series/tv show you watched recently, and this might as well have been a 10 hour movie, so I'm putting it here, since I don't know if a tv thread would have much traffic. We tend to discuss shows here as well, so I think it's okay?

There's a thread for Tales of Yesteryear: Movies of the Week and Miniseries of Yore.  It's a good read that brought back a lot of memories (and had me checking YouTube and streaming services to see if I could find several of them to revisit).

• Like 3