Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Fighting With Your Mom on Social Media

• Start Topic

Airs January 17, 2021

Myrka and Liliana have a blowout fight over social media. Jenna gives her parents an ultimatum - get along at the baby shower. Reanna and Taron sit down with their mums to sort out custody. Tyra gets stuck in a storm on the way to see Alex and Layla.

Ethan's parents should not talk badly about Myrka's mom,for a few reasons. They are not perfect parents, either and eventually Myrka may remember the good things about Lilliana, and resent Ethan 's family. I also think if they had not taken Myrka in, Lilliana may have possibly accepted the situation and made the best of it. Finally, teen parents almost always fail as a couple - what happens a year from now when Ethan meets someone new but Myrka is still living with/mooching off his family and not supporting herself  ?  And regarding the last segment, I agree with Lilliana. Myrka needs to spend less time on social media and more time planning for her future and her child 's future.

I like Tyra but she doesn't miss Layla. What exactly does Alex do all day ? Does he work or go to school, or just sit in the living room all day ?

Taron needs a lawyer pronto. Reana is really just mad about the one night stand he had. That's what this is all about. Reana's mom should yell at her daughter about her behavior not Taron for being a pushover. Taron "hopes" he can see his daughter, but isnt it his legal right ?

Jenna and Reanna are tied for Biggest Brat.

• Love 6

Jenna & Aden—Jenna’s mom was so pretty, and her dad’s not bad-looking either, even though he kind of looks like a thumb.  How did Jenna get...so fug?  Ok, I have to call out the show for some false drama, even though I have opined in the past that this show seemed organic, I think there is such a premium put on these baby showers so that the audience can have something tangible, instead of...an online argument, but it’s not working.

The problem is that it’s not interesting, because it’s not necessary.  A lot of women don’t have baby showers at all.  Jenna’s dad and Jenna’s mom both don’t want to be present at the same baby shower, and they are both willing to host one of their own for her, so there’s not really a conflict.  Good try, Jenna, by saying she wouldn’t know which baby shower to invite Aden’s family to, but that’s not hard—she can just invite them to her father’s baby shower, since he appears to be the custodial parent, and the one with her mom can be more intimate, if she has to have two.  

And she doesn’t want “two of everything”?  What a problem!  Get a registry, bitch!  Jenna, you lie, your mom doesn’t want to be a part of it—you want her to be a part of it.  Does Jenna understand footage?  Her dad is so much better of a person than me.  As soon as she threatened to balk from the baby shower, and then to remove him from the baby’s life, I would go upstairs, disassemble the crib, hand her the parts, and tell her she is free to bring it with her to the place where she raises her baby, as I’m not going to be in her or her child’s life, so clearly she won’t be living here, not because I am throwing her out of the house, but because she won’t let me around her child.  I understand hormones are raging, but this bitch is so out of sorts because no one ever told her “no,” and that can be solved quickly if her dad actually loves her enough to show her where her place is.  She’s not in a position to dictate the terms of anything to her parents.  Where does she get off?

Why doesn’t Jenna just let her dad throw the baby shower for this one, let her mom throw the shower for the second kid, her dad throw the shower for the third kid, etc, and by the time she’s 20, they’ll be even at two each?  

I am just not biting on these storylines.  This isn’t interesting.  Last season, the drama between Max and Chloe and whose family would be able to attend the baby’s baptism was much more interesting, because there is only one first baptism.  A baby shower just doesn’t pack the same emotional punch.  

Myrka & Ethan—I really don’t care.  I’m not sure what they’re fighting about.  The online post was only shown for a second, so I don’t know what it said, and I certainly don’t care enough to figure it out.  It all seems so unnecessary and immature, and, yeah, drama to make a show.  

Reanna & Taron—I don’t understand why Reanna doesn’t want to share custody.  Taron seems like he would be as decent a dad as she would be a mom, so why not give up the baby half the time so you can live freely a few days a week?  I would think the other teen moms would jump at this prospect.  I think there’s something wrong with Reanna.  Not because she doesn’t want to share custody, but she just acts like she’s 10 in the way she speaks and refuses to communicate.  

Tyra & Alex—it seems so dysfunctional that the baby moves every time there is a social shift in one of the households.  Baby is with Alex’s family, Alex’s mom’s boyfriend moves in, baby moves in with Tyra’s mom, Alex’s mom’s boyfriend leaves, baby moves back to Alex’s...holy shit.  Tyra is sounding so selfish about going to “my ami.”  If she’s not getting paid to go there, or if there’s not a scholarship contingent on it—or even if there is—who is taking care of her baby?  Unless there is a really well-designed plan in place and plenty of money to throw around for au pairs and nannies and plenty of resources to vet strangers coming into the child’s life, I don’t think the parents should be off globe-trotting when their child isn’t even in a stable home.  I would say the same thing if it was the father going off (though I might even be harder on the father, because the guys tend to be less articulate, which makes me impatient).  Speaking of “my ami,” I am really not convinced Tyra knows there is a place called “Miami”; the way she pronounces it makes me think she thinks it that everyone has their own “ami,” like it is a self-designated special place, and Tyra is going to her “ami,” thus when she speaks it is “my ami.”  Just me?  Probably.

I feel bad for the child, I don’t feel bad for Alex.  If he’s “not a little-ass kid,” as he asserts (though I beg to challenge that assertion), then he should advocate for himself.  Until he does this, he is going to get walked over.  He should do it for his kid if not for himself. 

Why do these people on this show—first Reanna and then Jenna’s mom—say “whenever” instead of “when”?  It sounds so trashy.  Reanna has said several times that she needs to get a Cesarian because “whenever I was younger, I had surgery,” and now Jenna’s mom is saying, “whenever I was married to Jenna’s father.”  Where did this new blight on the English language come from?  Ugh!

Speaking of ugh, next week is Lilly.  I see the stupid and useless train is pulling into the station.  

• Love 13
2 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Reanna & Taron—I don’t understand why Reanna doesn’t want to share custody.  Taron seems like he would be as decent a dad as she would be a mom, so why not give up the baby half the time so you can live freely a few days a week?  I would think the other teen moms would jump at this prospect.  I think there’s something wrong with Reanna.  Not because she doesn’t want to share custody, but she just acts like she’s 10 in the way she speaks and refuses to communicate.  

I bolded these three comments because they explain (for me) that everything seems to be working just fine for Reanna.  She has to pretend to listen to her mother's complaints...but she (like Jenna) just does what she wants to do.  Both girls have probably been like that all their lives.  Something IS wrong with Reanna; TLC should require family counseling AND parenting classes for everyone to whom they give an "Unexpected" contract.

And "whenever."  Me too!

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Myrka's all "No one else is paying for anything for my baby!" Um, YOU sure as hell aren't paying for anything, child, so get off your high horse. Ethan's parents are 100% supporting you two. 

I thought Myrka’s rant was terribly disrespectful to Ethan’s parents. They’ve taken her in, free room and board, rides to wherever, parties, and that ungrateful little girl is crying about poor her? No one is lifting a finger for her? Yeah, okay. Gee, I wonder who is paying for her phone, you know, the one she’s using to put her nonsense on FB.

Myrka, stay off of social media. It’s not your friend and nothing good will come of your need to give a lecture about the benefits of teen pregnancy or whatever the hell it was you were trying to say. No one cares what you think. 

• Love 7

I think Reanna's mother hates her.  I think Reanna is a brat but I can't imagine speaking to my Child like that in front of others. Cause and effect - Reanna is the way she is because of the way she was raised  Furthermore, no newborn baby needs to be shuffled back and forth between parents like they are proposing.  What is she breastfeeds (okay, doubtful)?  

These kinds of discussions are fruitless at this point.

Edited by RoxiP
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Jenna & Aden—Jenna’s mom was so pretty, and her dad’s not bad-looking either, even though he kind of looks like a thumb.  How did Jenna get...so fug?  Ok, I have to call out the show for some false drama, even though I have opined in the past that this show seemed organic, I think there is such a premium put on these baby showers so that the audience can have something tangible, instead of...an online argument, but it’s not working.

The problem is that it’s not interesting, because it’s not necessary.  A lot of women don’t have baby showers at all.  Jenna’s dad and Jenna’s mom both don’t want to be present at the same baby shower, and they are both willing to host one of their own for her, so there’s not really a conflict.  Good try, Jenna, by saying she wouldn’t know which baby shower to invite Aden’s family to, but that’s not hard—she can just invite them to her father’s baby shower, since he appears to be the custodial parent, and the one with her mom can be more intimate, if she has to have two.  

And she doesn’t want “two of everything”?  What a problem!  Get a registry, bitch!  Jenna, you lie, your mom doesn’t want to be a part of it—you want her to be a part of it.  Does Jenna understand footage?  Her dad is so much better of a person than me.  As soon as she threatened to balk from the baby shower, and then to remove him from the baby’s life, I would go upstairs, disassemble the crib, hand her the parts, and tell her she is free to bring it with her to the place where she raises her baby, as I’m not going to be in her or her child’s life, so clearly she won’t be living here, not because I am throwing her out of the house, but because she won’t let me around her child.  I understand hormones are raging, but this bitch is so out of sorts because no one ever told her “no,” and that can be solved quickly if her dad actually loves her enough to show her where her place is.  She’s not in a position to dictate the terms of anything to her parents.  Where does she get off?

Why doesn’t Jenna just let her dad throw the baby shower for this one, let her mom throw the shower for the second kid, her dad throw the shower for the third kid, etc, and by the time she’s 20, they’ll be even at two each?  

I am just not biting on these storylines.  This isn’t interesting.  Last season, the drama between Max and Chloe and whose family would be able to attend the baby’s baptism was much more interesting, because there is only one first baptism.  A baby shower just doesn’t pack the same emotional punch.  

Myrka & Ethan—I really don’t care.  I’m not sure what they’re fighting about.  The online post was only shown for a second, so I don’t know what it said, and I certainly don’t care enough to figure it out.  It all seems so unnecessary and immature, and, yeah, drama to make a show.  

Tyra & Alex—it seems so dysfunctional that the baby moves every time there is a social shift in one of the households.  Baby is with Alex’s family, Alex’s mom’s boyfriend moves in, baby moves in with Tyra’s mom, Alex’s mom’s boyfriend leaves, baby moves back to Alex’s...holy shit.  Tyra is sounding so selfish about going to “my ami.”  If she’s not getting paid to go there, or if there’s not a scholarship contingent on it—or even if there is—who is taking care of her baby?  Unless there is a really well-designed plan in place and plenty of money to throw around for au pairs and nannies and plenty of resources to vet strangers coming into the child’s life, I don’t think the parents should be off globe-trotting when their child isn’t even in a stable home.  I would say the same thing if it was the father going off (though I might even be harder on the father, because the guys tend to be less articulate, which makes me impatient).  Speaking of “my ami,” I am really not convinced Tyra knows there is a place called “Miami”; the way she pronounces it makes me think she thinks it that everyone has their own “ami,” like it is a self-designated special place, and Tyra is going to her “ami,” thus when she speaks it is “my ami.”  Just me?  Probably.

I feel bad for the child, I don’t feel bad for Alex.  If he’s “not a little-ass kid,” as he asserts (though I beg to challenge that assertion), then he should advocate for himself.  Until he does this, he is going to get walked over.  He should do it for his kid if not for himself. 

Why do these people on this show—first Reanna and then Jenna’s mom—say “whenever” instead of “when”?  It sounds so trashy.  Reanna has said several times that she needs to get a Cesarian because “whenever I was younger, I had surgery,” and now Jenna’s mom is saying, “whenever I was married to Jenna’s father.”  Where did this new blight on the English language come from?  Ugh!

Speaking of ugh, next week is Lilly.  I see the stupid and useless train is pulling into the station.  

I used to live in the south and heard "whenever" instead of "when" for the first time in my life and so often that I made a Facebook post 10 or so years ago about how much it irritated me 😂 I truly don't understand it. 

• Love 3
On 1/17/2021 at 10:23 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

Well, she is 15 so not that far off from 10.  She is behaving this way because she can.  If Taron goes to court and forces the visitation issue, she can have all the 15 year old temper tantrums she wants, she will lose.  She's doing this out of spite against Taron.  It has nothing to do with hormones and everything to do with gaining and keeping control.  As long as the baby is inside her, she keeps that control, but once born, she will have no legal or ethical choice and there will be plenty of folks around that aren't related to her that will make that certain.

That said, I applaud Taron (and Alex) for doing the right thing and staying involved, whether wanted or not.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

No one is lifting a finger for her? Yeah, okay.

On this one, I will call some hormonal stuff involved.  But honestly, her mother is one of the worst I've ever seen on a reality show.  Her mom is mad, underlying, because in throwing Myrka out, Liliana has lost her full time day care giver for her son.  Certainly that makes life a little difficult for Lilana, but she shouldn't be taking it out on Myrka.  If Myrka did what she did, which she clearly has, she did it because of having no adult supervision - Myrka went out and found the love she was missing because Mom was never around and we don't know where Dad is.

I believe Myrka was referring to her own family in no one lifting a finger for her.  I know, because Myrka has said, she totally appreciates what Ethan's parents have done for her, as the alternative would've been to be on the street (or to concede the point and have an abortion).  Myrka has the right to be far more angry with her mother and that relationship will be interminably broken as time goes on.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, b2H said:

Myrka has the right to be far more angry with her mother and that relationship will be interminably broken as time goes on.

I think Mryka should be angry with herself for choosing to get kicked out of the house.  Liliana had made her position clear, and Myrka obviously thought she was bluffing.  Turns out she wasn't, and I don't know much about their interactions, but I don't think I would have pegged Liliana as a bluffer, and I certainly wouldn't have tested it on something this big. 

Myrka has no one to blame but herself. 

• Love 11
On 1/17/2021 at 10:23 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

On 1/18/2021 at 11:10 AM, Chris Knight said:

The Duggars do the "whenever" thing, too. So annoying. 

It is like they think "whenever" and "when" are interchangeable!  It must be a regional thing.  Stephanie from Real Housewives of Dallas uses it too, and it is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I think Mryka should be angry with herself for choosing to get kicked out of the house.  Liliana had made her position clear, and Myrka obviously thought she was bluffing. 

Totally agree. Myrka knew what the result of getting pregnant would be. I think she also got sick and tired of having to take care of her younger brother and this was her way out. From the frying pan into the fire. 

Reanna needs to realize that a court order in favor of Taron is going to wipe that smirk right off her face. Reanna would be better off agreeing to visitation/custody than rolling the dice in court. You cannot control what a judge will ultimately decide.

30 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

It is like they think "whenever" and "when" are interchangeable!  

What about “me” and “myself?” Argh!

• Love 8

Babies going for long car rides is not ideal, but it may be the best alternative in the crummy situation these teens have created. It's priceless long term for the dad and his family to be invested in their relationship with the baby. We sure haven't seen Reanna voicing any reasonable arguments like "I won't be able to handle overnight separation until she's sleeping through the night." She's just sulking and stonewalling.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, b2H said:

Well, she is 15 so not that far off from 10. 

I beg to differ.  From my subjective experience, 10 year olds are playing with Barbies and watching Disney movies, and at 15, people have complex relationships, sometimes romantic, sometimes sexual, taking PSATs and begin to seriously discuss college.  

I think a 15 year old acting like she’s 10 is dysfunctional on a level somewhere between a 10 year old acting like a five year old or a 20 year old acting like a 15 year old.  It’s not normal, or to the extent that is is considered the norm and/or accepted, I think someone in the teenager’s life should intervene, not co-sign it as all being well, because at least the cognitive functions of the person in question are within a half a decade of where they should be.  😳 I guess now I can see why her mom does get so frustrated.  

I don’t know that I agree that it has “nothing to do with hormones,” though I suppose Reanna is throwing a fit chiefly to maintain control.  And this may be where maturity does come into it—she doesn’t realize that the court can just force her hand, the way a 20 year old might, and she doesn’t realize that giving up custody a substantial portion of the time to a person just as adequate at this as she is, who is also the child’s father, is probably the best thing for all parties involved, unless and until there is ample evidence to the contrary, such as abuse.

I sympathize with the idea that Reanna is mad at Taron for having sex with someone else, but I don’t think that fact alone makes him an unfit father and she’s either going to learn that the easy way or the hard way.  Or at least I hope she’ll learn.  I’ve heard horror stories about cases being dragged through the courts for years, allegations of abuse, false restraining orders, etc, and sometimes the non-custodial parent just gives up on their kid, and there are times I can’t blame them.  This is all very sad.  

Pivoting to Myrka, I think her mom would have ‘let her’ have the baby and give it up for adoption, so long as she didn’t have to care for Myrka when the baby was being born, or support the pregnancy.  Liliana has already compromised on some issues, so Myrka could have probably rolled the dice on this one and came out alright.  I’m not saying she should definitely give up her baby, because that is a personal choice that involves many factors, but I’m starting to come to the conclusion that Myrka rejected adoption, so then it became this false equivalency of the mother who wanted her daughter to have an abortion “or else,” but it is very strange that this option hasn’t been broached once.  All it would have taken was one talking head about why adoption is not a viable option.  I understand that is a tall order...for a reality show about unwed teens who have unexpected pregnancies.  It reminds me of that old trope on scripted TV when a kid is going off to college and the parents don’t have the cash on hand to pay full tuition and it is all, “oh no, what is going to happen???  Will we have to sell our house to avoid our child’s future in tagging cans at K-mart?!!”  As if there are not student loans or community college.  It’s incomplete storytelling, thus it is bad storytelling.  

Does anyone else find it a bit much that every time Myrka and Ethan get screen time, there is this furious rush of flamenco music with some women chanting “they call me fuerte!”?  And whenever Reanna and Taron come on, they get a country song, when there is nothing particularly country about them?  

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Does anyone else find it a bit much that every time Myrka and Ethan get screen time, there is this furious rush of flamenco music with some women chanting “they call me fuerte!”?  And whenever Reanna and Taron come on, they get a country song, when there is nothing particularly country about them?

I don't even know why ANY of these shows have gone to the expense of adding music anyway.  I certainly don't care ... and until you mentioned it, I didn't notice the incongruities--just the waste of time, money, and mis-identifying genres.  AND...I learned the word "fuerte" today.  I know many Spanish words...just hangin' around my neighborhood as a kid--never FUERTE!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I definitely agree that some of the drama is manufactured or emphasized for the sake of the show (ie baby shower) but I guess they're trying to show issues that pregnant teens would face. A baby shower certainly isn't, or at least shouldn't be, the major event that the show makes it into, but I do think it's realistic for a teen to make a huge issue of it. So, while I worry that the show is headed in the direction of Teen Mom, I do think for now it's serving the purpose of showing teens that pregnant life won't be what they may think it is. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, abracadabra said:

So, while I worry that the show is headed in the direction of Teen Mom, I do think for now it's serving the purpose of showing teens that pregnant life won't be what they may think it is. 

High schools should build classes around this show. Every week the class watches the show together and then has a discussion about it. Teacher simply acts as the moderator and keeps the discussion focused and civil. I think teenagers would profit from something like that. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 5

Who wouldn't want 2 parties???? I can't decide if she's being ridiculous or mature in thinking 2 parties is just ridiculous. 

The dad won't even let her pull into the driveway so he's going to be ok with her coming into his house? Ooookkkkkkk.  They better get a rental space. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Dmarie019 said:

Who wouldn't want 2 parties???? I can't decide if she's being ridiculous or mature in thinking 2 parties is just ridiculous. 

The dad won't even let her pull into the driveway so he's going to be ok with her coming into his house? Ooookkkkkkk.  They better get a rental space. 

Yeah,  this is a strange situation to figure out. In a way I think this is the most insightful Jenna has been and it shows some maturity that she sees the benefit of getting along for the sake of a child. On the other hand, this may just be another case of wanting the world and everyone else's feelings to stop for her, because she believes she's that important. I kind of see this one both ways. 

• Love 5

I think her mom would have ‘let her’ have the baby and give it up for adoption, so long as she didn’t have to care for Myrka when the baby was being born, or support the pregnancy.

Maybe, though I think Liliana's very concerned about what the neighbors etc. will think, and the fact of the teen pregnancy would be obvious to everyone. The bigger issue is that Myrka clearly, strongly wants to parent that baby. Being forced to give up a child she wants to raise could be even more traumatizing than being forced into an abortion she doesn't want.

3 hours ago, abracadabra said:

In a way I think this is the most insightful Jenna has been and it shows some maturity that she sees the benefit of getting along for the sake of a child. On the other hand, this may just be another case of wanting the world and everyone else's feelings to stop for her, because she believes she's that important. I kind of see this one both ways. 

I'm with you. Both of those may be going on at the same time.

• Love 1

Although I think Jenna is an entitled twit I had an ounce of sympathy for her...having parents who refuse to try to get along is difficult on a child and it is obvious that they have used her as a pawn between them.  Kind of makes you understand why she's so rotten spoiled - I mean, why wouldn't she be?  Both of her parents seem to have made it their purpose in life to be her friend instead of parent her.  Now that doesn't excuse Jenna and yet I can now see why she's that way.  Both of her parents need to grow up - it is obvious that it was more important to them to be jerks to one another (mom can't pull in the driveway to pick Jenna up - REALLY?) than to raise a decent human being.

• Love 5
On 1/20/2021 at 2:55 AM, abracadabra said:
On 1/19/2021 at 2:18 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

Does anyone else find it a bit much that every time Myrka and Ethan get screen time, there is this furious rush of flamenco music with some women chanting “they call me fuerte!”? 

Yes, I HATE the song for Myrka! FWIW I thought they were saying fuego. 

According to the captions, it's:  "They call me fuego, they call me fire, they call me all that you desire."  I think that's right, since "fuego" means "fire" in English.

• Love 1

Pivoting to Myrka, I think her mom would have ‘let her’ have the baby and give it up for adoption, so long as she didn’t have to care for Myrka when the baby was being born, or support the pregnancy.  Liliana has already compromised on some issues, so Myrka could have probably rolled the dice on this one and came out alright.  I’m not saying she should definitely give up her baby, because that is a personal choice that involves many factors, but I’m starting to come to the conclusion that Myrka rejected adoption, so then it became this false equivalency of the mother who wanted her daughter to have an abortion “or else,” but it is very strange that this option hasn’t been broached once.  All it would have taken was one talking head about why adoption is not a viable option.  I understand that is a tall order...for a reality show about unwed teens who have unexpected pregnancies.  It reminds me of that old trope on scripted TV when a kid is going off to college and the parents don’t have the cash on hand to pay full tuition and it is all, “oh no, what is going to happen???  Will we have to sell our house to avoid our child’s future in tagging cans at K-mart?!!”  As if there are not student loans or community college.  It’s incomplete storytelling, thus it is bad storytelling.  

We already saw this exact story when Kailyn from Teen Mom did her episode of 16 and Pregnant. Myrka is in the honeymoon phase with her boyfriend's parents. This is not going to end well. When the relationship doesn't work out, as it most certainly won't, it's going to be a train wreck. Myrka should stay on her mother's good side in case she needs to come home. And while I don't think she needs to be ashamed on her pregnancy, there is a middle ground between Lilliana's total rejection and the other side acting like this is a perfectly normal situation and not a disaster waiting to happen. That gender reveal was over the top ridiculous for two people who have nothing to provide for a baby. Instead of spending thousands on a party, put that money aside for when they're going to need rent money.

• Love 3