Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Keep Ya Head Up (2)

WendyCR72

You may notice I added a (1) to last week's title. It's because the episode database did, too, and this appears to be part 2. Airing on November 23, 2020:

Lola may be asked to recuse herself from a case after the video of her detainment is leaked. Also, Mark continues to seek the hate crime enhancement in Jesse’s trial, even after being met with resistance, and the case is further complicated when Jesse is suspected of having a medical condition.

It was driving me crazy that Emily's mask kept falling down. Surely production could get her one that fit properly, so were they doing that on purpose????

So... it was Luke who wanted to split up. 

The real solution to case backlogs is to have A LOT more staff, not to take shortcuts on cases. But that's never even considered. I hate our system.

Love Lola, though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Echoing,...For the love of God, Emily! Get a mask that fits!!! It barely covered the tip of her nose when she wasn't speaking and the moment she would open her mouth, down it would go. Unless it's leading into a "if your mask doesn't fit properly, you'll get COVID" storyline, there is just no point in it. Everyone else's mask (no matter the style) seemed to fit them, why not her?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I'm loving this season so far. I even like that we got some resolution with Sara's 2 second mention of things fizzling out with Ben Benner. It was such a throwaway line, but most shows can't be bothered to acknowledge minor characters once they leave. On a shallow note, I'm enjoying Lola's maternity fashions. And her neck mounted face shield makes me want one. 

I'm not too surprised that Luke was the one who ended things, but I hope they explore his reasons in more detail. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

I am so glad that Mark and Lola made up! I love their friendship and them fighting made me sad, even Robin took some time to root for them to make up. I am so ready for Lola in fabulous maternity clothes. 

So I guess Luke initiated the break with Emily, which is surprising, but probably for the best. Luke always seemed more invested in their relationship than she was, and I guess he finally realized that. I thought that Emily was really crappy to Sam for no reason when she was trying to make nice with her, its not like the pile up of cases is her fault personally, and it was clear that she was more pissed about her possibly being with Luke than her delivering cases. Then after she was all snippy with her, she still asked her to leave the coffee and food, real classy. Also, keep your mask on Emily! 

Sara and Judge Benner had a fun little subplot, and we got a bit of follow up to Sara's brief romance with Benner's son, with very little drama. It didn't work out, no fuss no muss. 

There still seems to be some stuff that happened during the time jump that we don't know about, especially with Sara, Emily, and Luke. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Luke always seemed more invested in their relationship than she was, and I guess he finally realized that.

It doesn't sound like Luke broke up with her over their different investment levels based on what Luke was saying.  I suspect this is the big mystery this year.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It doesn't sound like Luke broke up with her over their different investment levels based on what Luke was saying.  I suspect this is the big mystery this year.

Yeah, it seems like something else led to Luke wanting to split up, or "take time apart" or whatever they were saying last week. I am guessing that it was something to do with the protest, but I am not sure what. Possibly because Luke was on security that night and something happened with that? I guess Emily will get with the protester guy for at least a bit, but I don't feel like Luke and Emily are totally over quite yet. 

I also think that something went on with Sara and Emily, even if it wasn't so dramatic that they don't still hang out. Maybe its me, but I have gotten a vibe that Sara might be irritated with Emily about something. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

Yeah, it seems like something else led to Luke wanting to split up, or "take time apart" or whatever they were saying last week. I am guessing that it was something to do with the protest, but I am not sure what. P

But didn't their conversation take place at the protests?  It sounded like they were already splittsville by the time that happened.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I am so glad that Mark and Lola made up! I love their friendship and them fighting made me sad, even Robin took some time to root for them to make up. I am so ready for Lola in fabulous maternity clothes. 

So I guess Luke initiated the break with Emily, which is surprising, but probably for the best. Luke always seemed more invested in their relationship than she was, and I guess he finally realized that. I thought that Emily was really crappy to Sam for no reason when she was trying to make nice with her, its not like the pile up of cases is her fault personally, and it was clear that she was more pissed about her possibly being with Luke than her delivering cases. Then after she was all snippy with her, she still asked her to leave the coffee and food, real classy. Also, keep your mask on Emily! 

Sara and Judge Benner had a fun little subplot, and we got a bit of follow up to Sara's brief romance with Benner's son, with very little drama. It didn't work out, no fuss no muss. 

There still seems to be some stuff that happened during the time jump that we don't know about, especially with Sara, Emily, and Luke. 

Actually, Emily demanded that Sara leave the coffee and food. Whatever her issues are (Luke or work-related) Sara didn't cause any of it.  Yep, she needs to put all that snippiness away. Not feeling her right now.

I wonder if the next few episodes will tell those stories of what we missed in the time jump.

I'm actually sorry that Sara and Ben didn't work out- that could have been such a cute SL. Maybe they couldn't get the actor back...

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, TVForever said:

Actually, Emily demanded that Sara leave the coffee and food.

I believe you meant "Sam" (not Sara). Sam is the one who works for the DA and is dating (or whatever) with Luke. Sara is Emily's former roommate who is the court reporter.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I don’t feel like there’s much of a mystery so Luke. I kinda got the vibe the writers wanted to kaput Luke/Emily at least for now so kind of just had them end things. The first episode made it seem like there was more mystery to what actually happened.

ive a feeling he and Sara aren’t together either and whatever is going on there won’t be what they’re leading us to believe.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I guess Emily will get with the protester guy for at least a bit, but I don't feel like Luke and Emily are totally over quite yet. 

I hope they are. Luke deserves much, much better.
And protester guy may be cute and all, but to me he gave me a whiff of stalker vibes. Maybe it will be nothing and he just likes her, but he seems... overly invested.

Happy that Lola and Mark are on the mend.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I hope Milk Eyes just likes her and isn't stalker. Emily has had enough boyfriend catastrophes already, and I don't want them writing her to be a damsel in distress trope. I also hope we're not headed for a triangle. I hate that, but tv writers love it, so I guess that's a likely direction. I really don't like any of the romance stories on this show. Stick to cases and friendships, y'all. You're no good at writing the other stuff.

• Love 12

I originally thought maybe when Milk Eyes posted the photo of Emily's impassioned close up conversation with Luke in full riot gear that was in a way to discredit Emily's "fighter for the people" internet persona she was using to raise money for the funeral expenses for her client that died of COVID-19.  Which.....speaking of that....what a weird juxtaposition of the pandemic and BLM.  Thankfully that all turned out OK. 

There's a lot of backstory here we haven't seen yet.  I'm still waiting to hear what happened to the girl with the backpack that started this whole thing.  Obviously this is eating at Lola.

I'm calling it now.  Lola's baby will be a girl, and they'll name her for the girl with the backpack. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

I hope Milk Eyes just likes her and isn't stalker. Emily has had enough boyfriend catastrophes already, and I don't want them writing her to be a damsel in distress trope.

Oh God, I just got this whole mental picture of a plot where Emily starts dating Milk Eyes, and there is a kind of love triangle with Luke, but then Milk Eyes turns out to be a stalker and he shows up at Emily's apartment with a weapon and she only just manages to get a message to Luke and Luke has to run in at the last moment to save her and they get back together while Emily cries into his chest and it all sounds so melodramatic and stupid and I really hope that I am totally off base. I would hope that this shows writers would know better, but the siren call of using cheap drama and turning the women in the romance into a damsel to save to get a couple back together can sometimes be too temping for any writers room. 

Or it could just be a boring love triangle. I cant even decide which scenario makes me roll my eyes harder. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Oh God, I just got this whole mental picture of a plot where Emily starts dating Milk Eyes, and there is a kind of love triangle with Luke, but then Milk Eyes turns out to be a stalker and he shows up at Emily's apartment with a weapon and she only just manages to get a message to Luke and Luke has to run in at the last moment to save her and they get back together while Emily cries into his chest and it all sounds so melodramatic and stupid and I really hope that I am totally off base.

Sorry for putting that out into the universe! I also really hope that does not happen.

I'll show myself out now...

Edited by A.Ham
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

I completely missed that show was airing again. I’m happy to have the characters back but I’m not sure how I feel about the writing. The resolution of case with the kid who attacked protesters felt like the show chickened out. I can’t help but feel that doesn’t bode well for the other protest related storylines. 

My biggest question is what the hell the writers are doing with Emily. Is she the devoted lawyer or the petty jealous ex? They don’t seem to know. She’s determined to get her client out but avoids talking to the one person who could help her over personal issues. I’m sure they wanted to show she was stymied by the system but I can’t help thinking her client might have gotten help in time if she had talked to Luke earlier. Then she’s so shaken by the death she is outraged by people referring to her clients as files so decides to drag out their cases without even looking at the offers. 

On 11/24/2020 at 3:00 PM, Irlandesa said:

But didn't their conversation take place at the protests?  It sounded like they were already splittsville by the time that happened.

Yeah, Emily mentioned he was avoiding her before the protests so whatever was going on with Luke started before that night. Speaking of that, I really wish they had given Sara and Emily a better reason for being in the protest than looking for Luke. It just made them both look like idiots. 

On 11/24/2020 at 3:16 PM, TVForever said:

Actually, Emily demanded that Sara leave the coffee and food. Whatever her issues are (Luke or work-related) Sara didn't cause any of it.  Yep, she needs to put all that snippiness away. Not feeling her right now.

I hated Emily in that scene. Emily demanding Sam leave the coffee and food while refusing to do her actual job and even look at the offers made her look immature and incompetent. 

Edited by Guest
On 11/24/2020 at 10:59 AM, sarkygal said:

And her neck mounted face shield makes me want one. 

Mine just arrived today. Lol. I had the one that goes on the head, but it was fogging up too much that I had to take it off.

I am so happy that Lola and Mark made up. I felt the conflict was genuine, but their relationship was (obviously) my favorite in this show, so I didn't want them not speaking for too long. 

I enjoyed the episode, but once again, Emily was FF worthy for me. 

• Love 2
On 11/27/2020 at 12:49 AM, Dani said:

I completely missed that show was airing again. I’m happy to have the characters back but I’m not sure how I feel about the writing. The resolution of case with the kid who attacked protesters felt like the show chickened out. I can’t help but feel that doesn’t bode well for the other protest related storylines. 

My biggest question is what the hell the writers are doing with Emily. Is she the devoted lawyer or the petty jealous ex? They don’t seem to know. She’s determined to get her client out but avoids talking to the one person who could help her over personal issues. I’m sure they wanted to show she was stymied by the system but I can’t help thinking her client might have gotten help in time if she had talked to Luke earlier. Then she’s so shaken by the death she is outraged by people referring to her clients as files so decides to drag out their cases without even looking at the offers. 

Yeah, Emily mentioned he was avoiding her before the protests so whatever was going on with Luke started before that night. Speaking of that, I really wish they had given Sara and Emily a better reason for being in the protest than looking for Luke. It just made them both look like idiots. 

I hated Emily in that scene. Emily demanding Sam leave the coffee and food while refusing to do her actual job and even look at the offers made her look immature and incompetent. 

I think Emily is one of those characters that the audience is supposed to relate to and root for but she's just not likable.

• Love 1
On 11/24/2020 at 6:26 PM, illdoc said:

I believe you meant "Sam" (not Sara). Sam is the one who works for the DA and is dating (or whatever) with Luke. Sara is Emily's former roommate who is the court reporter.

Oops! Can I blame SpellCheck 🤪?

On 11/27/2020 at 12:49 AM, Dani said:

This. wandering around like tourists.  Ridiculous.