Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E05: An Unexpected Guest

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, MrsWitter said:

As someone who was a journalist and transitioned from being a working journalist to an academic, I have studied news media and taught about it extensively. I can promise I am not confused. I understand the purported difference between their news and opinion programming. And I don’t judge a network simply based on its primetime programming. I’ve also known people who have worked at the network.

I’m not trying to make this about conservative vs. liberal networks, but about journalistic practice. And the overall behavior (both in and outside of work) that is and isn’t tolerated in each environment. Based on my knowledge and understanding, I don’t believe anything Rick is doing with Kelly would raise the eyebrows of his superiors. And I don’t believe it will harm his career. That said, the industry (including Fox) is in tremendous flux so that might change and I could be wrong. But since Kelly has already crashed one of his live shots and flipped off people during his broadcast and nothing has come of it (that we know of), I think Rick’s job is just fine. 

I think we agree more than we disagree about current journalistic practices. I agree with you that the industry is in an incredible flux, and the difference between journalists and opinion hosts isn’t so black and white than even 10 years ago.

Regardless of network, I would be concerned about a significant other “bombing”  a news report. that is unacceptable, especially flipping off people. That shouldn’t be tolerated anywhere.

I did do my doctoral dissertation on Political Ideology and the influence of media, so this subject is always of interest to me. We all look at things from a different lens and I appreciate hearing from others and their perspectives as it helps me to understand those outside my circle.

I appreciate the dialog. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

Regardless of network, I would be concerned about a significant other “bombing”  a news report. that is unacceptable, especially flipping off people. That shouldn’t be tolerated anywhere.

Seriously! But Rick married her months after that happened so it seems he’s cool with the crazy or he just makes bad life decisions. 

I also appreciate the dialogue!

F31BBC71-1FA4-4F2C-89EF-385616B58365.jpeg

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Regardless of network, I would be concerned about a significant other “bombing”  a news report. that is unacceptable, especially flipping off people.

Yikes!  Did Kelly do that?  If so, that's really crass, but not surprising coming from her.  I think her middle name is crass.  There are moments where she shines, but then there are other moments where she's a bit intolerable to me.  I'm not even sure who the 'real' Kelly is!   

• Love 9
20 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

You may not take them seriously, but Fox News is taken very seriously by many, many people.  I read that in June and July, Fox News was the highest-rated tv channel in prime-time hours of 8 to 11 pm - For ALL of television.  In October, Fox News had the highest-rated month in cable news history.  People watch Fox News for news.

I assume Rick is doing the show because Kelly asked him to, and he loves her.  Not sure why they are doing so many bedroom scenes, but like someone said upthread, it is WAY less nauseating than Tamra and gross Eddie in the tub.

You are absolutely correct.  Plus, people on the other station have done worse, but let’s not go into that.

• Love 4
On 11/15/2020 at 7:16 PM, ChitChat said:

Serious news anchors like sex too! 😉  I have a feeling that most people are unaware of who Kelly Dodd is.  Most people I know don't usually pay much attention to the entertainment industry, and nobody I know is aware of the Housewives franchise.   For the ones who saw the news blurb about them, well, they probably thought "there goes another older man/younger woman" and didn't really think a thing about it.   Being a contributing journalist/reporter, I don't think Rick is as well known as some the main news people. 

Smart thinking.  Like I said, people have Done much worse.

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Love 2

Folks, Your points have been made regarding news networks.  That is not a topic on the show.  At the current point in the episodes, he is Kelly's betrothed.  Let's get back to talking about the show itself and not about faith or lack thereof in various news media.  Thanks!

• Love 7
On 11/17/2020 at 6:19 AM, Silver Bells said:

I can’t figure it out if Gina is smart or stupid.  I know forgiveness is better for her, but geeze, I don’t get her letting the flame of the week girlfriend into her house and letting her join them for dinner.  That’s a little too much.  I’d be choking on my food.  Gina is a saint, too soft and too forgiving.  She’s probably still very hurt, and this guy is getting away with murder, practically.

Well, if I had to vote whether Gina was smart or stupid, I'd choose smart.  What does she gain by holding on to bitterness and bad feelings over their marriage breaking up -- the upper hand?  the martyr prize?  We already saw how deliriously happy her daughter was to have her dad at her birthday party.  

Gina has a new relationship, so does Matt.  From where I sit, Matt isn't getting away with a damn thing since Gina is planning on appearing at Matt's sentencing and giving her victim statement which will be on his record permanently.  It's far better for the kids' well being for their parents to stay on good terms.  If they both have to swallow a little pride (hers for graciously hosting his flame of the week [love that!] and his for standing up in open court and owning up to his criminal behavior), so be it -- not too big a price to pay for your children's happiness now and in the future.

Edited by Anne Thrax
  • Love 10
On 11/11/2020 at 10:33 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

Right? But she’s already had one, she just needs attention. 

Braunwyn is playing straight out of the RHW textbook. A vow renewal, an addiction (which I believe is real, but still...)...All she needs is a little vaginal rejuvenation to complete the trifecta. 

Did Shannon’s daughter Stella insinuate that Shannon’s beau (John?) can’t support Shannon financially? Zing! What does that guy even do? What do ANY of the men on this show ever do?

Does Elizabeth have a lot of money or something? I wish she would address that. 

1 minute ago, ladle said:
Edited by ladle
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 11/12/2020 at 5:38 AM, CrinkleCutCat said:

I was shocked that Sophie thinks it’s ok to think a woman needs a man to support her financially! Gobsmacked! Are we *still* not past that view?

I mean, that’s not the kind of relationship I personally have or would want but these women are extremely regressive in a lot of ways. So “he can’t support her financially” is definitely a zinger within the context of this show. 

Along similar lines, Emily thinks she’s brave for appearing on TV while not being a size zero. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ladle said:

Braunwyn is playing straight out of the RHW textbook. A vow renewal, an addiction (which I believe is real, but still...)...All she needs is a little vaginal rejuvenation to complete the trifecta. 

Did Shannon’s daughter Stella insinuate that Shannon’s beau (John?) can’t support Shannon financially? Zing! What does that guy even do? What do ANY of the men on this show ever do?

Does Elizabeth have a lot of money or something? I wish she would address that. 

I didn't interpret it that way, per se,...

She said Shannon needs someone who can support her both financially and emotionally.

Let's face it, supporting Shannon emotionally is a full-time job. The woman can't take a second to assume Kelly had no clue what a tincture is misunderstood her; she immediately flew off the handle. She gets in her own way. I can't' imagine living with her.

Shannon also likes to spend money. She's not flashy with the Chanel labels, but I don't assume Dr Moon and his treatments are inexpensive, or covered by insurance, not to mention her other preventatives/remedies and cosmetic procedures.

I think her daughter was pointing out how needy (financially and emotionally) Shannon is, and how fulfilling both of those needs is a tall order that he (whatever the boyfriend's name is) may not be up to. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

• Love 8
On 11/25/2020 at 3:21 PM, ladle said:

Along similar lines, Emily thinks she’s brave for appearing on TV while not being a size zero. 

Pfft. Vicki and Jeana are both plus sized. So was Quinn.  Elizabeth, whoever she is seems comfortable and plus sized, and Gina doesn’t seem too upset about her weight gain. Emily is just unpleasant with her sour fart face and scoldy school marm voice. Sure she could lose weight for health reasons, but she has a great figure. I always thought the Ick had a great figure too. 

• Love 1
(edited)

On 11/11/2020 at 8:52 PM, Shannah Banana said:

Nothing screams RICH like attaching them thar store bought receipts to the serving bowls.  I'm not even remotely rich, or even particularly cultured, but I even have to turn my nose up at that one.  🤭

SMDH

lol same! I hope she addresses it in a future episode. 

On 11/13/2020 at 8:06 PM, ladypoodle said:

While I have no interest in kids lives, it was nice to see them portray brownwind and her husband being so supportive. Too often on these shows portray LGBT+ people as the bitchy makeup artist, sassy friend of one of the housewives and it was nice to see both parents, particularly his dad, showing support and love. 

100% that was one of my favorite Braunwyn scenes.

Edited by RealHousewife