Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Girl Meets Sneak Attack

(edited)

It's available on the Watch Disney website. Definitely has things more settled than the pilot, and nicely establishes the family dynamics as well as core friendships between the four kids. Unlike Minkus, the girls are clearly shown to be friends with Farkle, who is called the "biggest flirt in seventh grade" And Topanga's officially a lawyer! Growing up is the theme of the episode, with all the kids eventually realizing they don't want to grow up too fast, which also is the theme of Boy Meets World's second episode, which I thought was a nice subtle nod to the previous series. 

Edited by bettername2come

It's available on the Watch Disney website. Definitely has things more settled than the pilot, and nicely establishes the family dynamics as well as core friendships between the four kids. Unlike Minkus, the girls are clearly shown to be friends with Farkle, who is called the "biggest flirt in seventh grade" And Topanga's officially a lawyer! Growing up is the theme of the episode, with all the kids eventually realizing they don't want to grow up too fast, which also is the theme of Boy Meets World's second episode, which I thought was a nice subtle nod to the previous series. 

Yeah, the lawyer thing was not only not mentioned in the Pilot, but from some of the pre-show material I think people (at least on TWoP) were sure they meant to have Topanga doing something else with her life.  Glad they undid that if that had actually been their intent.  I know being a lawyer doesn't seem to interject her into the kids lives as much as lets say... owning a shop they all hang out in (the plan they allegedly had for her), but it serves HER character better to have actually followed through with what was supposed to be her life's plan.

(edited)

Yeah, the lawyer thing was not only not mentioned in the Pilot, but from some of the pre-show material I think people (at least on TWoP) were sure they meant to have Topanga doing something else with her life. Glad they undid that if that had actually been their intent. I know being a lawyer doesn't seem to interject her into the kids lives as much as lets say... owning a shop they all hang out in (the plan they allegedly had for her), but it serves HER character better to have actually followed through with what was supposed to be her life's plan.

Plus The Cosby Show did it and that still worked when the focus the show at home as they did well in this episode. It was a nice balance of home and school like BMW. I also like how the class subject paralleled with the current subject at hand.

Edit: Also want to add, based on the previews and The Futon Critic, that this is likely episode three. You do magically have the airdate right.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/girl-meets-world/listings/

Edited by Skyfall

I'm glad they made Topanga a lawyer.  I didn't like the first plan they had for her character.

They definitely dialed back Farkle and I'm glad that you can see here that he is not only friends with the girls, but also a good friend.  I still find the messages of the two episodes I've watched really very muddled though and I'm not sure what they were trying to say here exactly?  I understood Riley not wanting her crush to date other people while she knowing that she herself isn't really ready to enter the dating world just yet.  I understand being caught in the middle of all those confusing feelings.  I also liked that she acknowledged that she didn't have any right to ask Lucas not to hang out with that other girl.  But like is Lucas not allowed to talk to other girls short of Riley and Maya?  Why exactly is this other girl bad news?  Because she is ready to date?  I don't know.  Like I said, the message felt really muddled overall.

(edited)

I watched this last night and I agree that the message was muddled. I was really confused why Lucas suddenly changed his mind about going to the movie with "the bulldozer." (I don't remember her name.) Was it just because Riley told him not to? I hope that Lucas goes back to Texas after the first season. His character has not impressed me. I feel like all he's there for is to be the pretty face for all the tweens. 

I liked Farkle a lot better in this episode than I did in the pilot. I think he's a better character than Minkus was. He and Riley and Maya are actually friends instead of Riley and Maya constantly putting him down as Corey and Shawn did to Minkus.

I'm also really liking Riley. She's a good little actress and plays award 12-year-old very well. I'm really excited to see her grow through the series. What was she wearing in this episode though? That odd suspenders thing. Is that fashionable?

I thought Riley's "teach me how to flirt" scene was funny. I'm also glad they decided to have Maya not ready to flirt as well. Shawn's character was very mature. The first episode of the second season had him making out with an older girl in a locker. I'm glad the show is teaching that it's okay to not be ready for flirting and dating at 12. I know I wasn't ready then. 

Auggie's storyline was cute. He's adorable. I loved Topanga's response to the bratty girl trying to demand that Auggie give her the really creepy looking toy. 

I really love seeing Cory and Topanga again. I love their relationship and how they relate to each other and their kids. I'm not sold on Cory as teacher though. The scenes in the classroom this episode were cut strangely. Cory would be lecturing, then the camera would cut to the kids and Cory would go silent to let the kids have their conversation, then he would continue lecturing. It feels like he doesn't care if they pay attention or not. In Boy Meets World, if I remember correctly, most of their conversations in class involved the teacher as well.

Anyway, I'm definitely sticking with this series because it has a lot of potential.

Edited by DeepPoet117
(edited)

It looks like with this episode, the show is starting to find a more comfortable energy level with the acting. Farkle definitely seemed toned down, although I think he was really funny in the pilot even if OTT; in this episode it was sweet seeing him portrayed as a true friend to the girls. I found the detention classroom scene to be awkward. The dialogue Lucas had felt very forced.

For some reason, the Auggie plot with Topanga did not seem interesting at all. I was distracted by Topanga's facial expressions, which seemed stiff and perhaps botox-induced.

Overall, I think I should reserve judgement of how the show will fair because there have only been two episodes to watch. You never know how it will evolve. But so far, I am getting a major trying-too-hard vibe from all the dialogue. 

Edited by purpleflowers
(edited)

Three episodes in and Lucas is still an utter waste of space. He spent the whole episode just smiling blankly as people fought over him and decided where he was going and when and only got around to making his own feelings known after way too long. He just seems like a vacant trophy for people to obsess over. I feel like Lucas was a mandate and they don't really know what to do with him. They want him to be Prince Charming, but they also want to have relationship conflict, so first it's Cory . I think I'd like him better if he was just a platonic friend. He's too saccharine as a love interest.

Edited by NickDisnCart
  • Love 1

I watched this last night and I agree that the message was muddled. I was really confused why Lucas suddenly changed his mind about going to the movie with "the bulldozer." (I don't remember her name.) Was it just because Riley told him not to? I hope that Lucas goes back to Texas after the first season. His character has not impressed me. I feel like all he's there for is to be the pretty face for all the tweens.

I can't say yet that the problem is Lucas, or the actor.  I think the intention is to very much make Lucas a regular part of the Riley, Maya and Farkle group.  Plus to of course be the inevitable love interest for Riley.  But the issue is that Lucas isn't really friends with the group yet.  The show can portray the others as having this long history together, but they've only known Lucas for like two seconds.  The writers need to find a way to add some depth to Lucas and incorporate him as more than just the crush.  At least in these initial two episodes the writers haven't really asked the actor to do anything beyond look cute.

Also while I can certainly appreciate the show pushing the message of not growing up too fast, it just didn't feel like Lucas owed anything to Riley at this point. They barely know each other and if he is allowed to date and wants to date, then why not.   If the show had portrayed it as Lucas admitting he wasn't ready either, that would be one thing.  But it seemed like he just randomly changed his mind with absolutely no motivation.  I also think it's weird to villify the random girl for being a 7th grade flirt when the very same show is pushing Farkle as well, a 7th grade flirt.  What makes the former bad news, but not the latter.

• Love 1

Riley is written as such a young Cory it's crazy. The actress is great at this. I actually really started to like Farkle. I like how he's not only seen as a friend by the girls, but he actually is a friend.  Maya is also a good Shawn analogue. Auggie is adorable.  I love seeing Cory and Topanga as a married couple.  Lucas is just...boring. He just smiles and stares and says maybe 1-2 lines.

Characters aside, the plot was just silly. I  agree with people who thought that the message was muddled. Lucas just isn't shown as much of a friend to be able to pull that off. Wouldn't it make more sense as a Riley/Maya plot? I think there was a BMW where Cory and Shawn dealt with girls coming between their friendships. Or to make it different, make it a girl trying to get Farkle and Riley/Maya getting upset. Or a guy getting inbetween the threesome. Actually, if they wanted to shoehorn Lucas in, why not have Farkle be slightly upset that his best gal friends have found another guy friend? That way they could show Lucas easing into the group and have their friendship message as well.

What's up with the classroom scenes? In BMW, they did a good job showing that teaching was going on and there was just whispering going on. Or Feeny or Turner would actually react to their lessons being interrupted. Here it just seems really off.

• Love 1

Characters aside, the plot was just silly. I  agree with people who thought that the message was muddled. Lucas just isn't shown as much of a friend to be able to pull that off.

Remember you're missing episode two in the storyline.

(edited)

Remember you're missing episode two in the storyline.

Or a lot more if this was actually originally slated to be Episode #14, as the former IMDB numbering suggested (which they've since changed and now note it as Episode #3). It's worth noting though that they also currently have "Girl Meets Boy" recorded as Episode 2, but something called "Girl Meets World" (as an episode title, not a series title) as Episode 1.  So SOMETHING is confused, since so much stuff I saw for the ep. which already aired referred to it as "Girl Meets Boy". 

So who the heck knows.  

EDIT - Hmm.  This (what's on the other end of the link I'm providing) suggests "Girl Meets Boy" IS an actual different episode from the Pilot, and will be airing on the 11th, and the name that was bounced around for the pilot back in June must have in fact been either "Pilot" or "Girl Meets World"  - http://www.tvrage.com/shows/id-33436/episodes/1065555698

Edited by Kromm

Ah, weird.  Well, I still think he had the personality of white bread this episode.

All the more better for tweens to project their fantasies onto. Hehe.

I can't get over how much older he looks like than the girls. He looks out of place in the classroom, but he just looks too pretty. Then again, I don't watch this show for the teen aspect. I do agree that casting for Riley is almost perfect. She really is Cory's daughter.

I didn't mind the Topanga spot. It was kinda cute seeing her as a Mom and I've never liked Topanga much.

It appears I'm the only one bothered by Rowan Blanchard's lisp. I didn't notice it at all in the pilot and it only showed up in a few scenes in episode 2. I think the more wacky she gets the more obvious it becomes. Which has led me to liking Riley less and Maya more. It's like tptb decided to make Farkle less OTT but gave some of that to Riley instead.

I'll give this a few more episodes to get in the groove before I give up.

• Love 1

Rowan seems a bit nasal to me, like she needs her adenoids out or is prone to sinus issues. But it doesn't bother me. She's young and the more they can show imperfect children on television the better. I like that their efforts to cast a kid that looks like Ben Savage also meant they got a kid who isn't weirdly older teen looking for a 12 year old. If only they could have managed that with the other kids.

• Love 1

It looks like with this episode, the show is starting to find a more comfortable energy level with the acting. Farkle definitely seemed toned down, although I think he was really funny in the pilot even if OTT; in this episode it was sweet seeing him portrayed as a true friend to the girls. I found the detention classroom scene to be awkward. The dialogue Lucas had felt very forced.

For some reason, the Auggie plot with Topanga did not seem interesting at all. I was distracted by Topanga's facial expressions, which seemed stiff and perhaps botox-induced.

Overall, I think I should reserve judgement of how the show will fair because there have only been two episodes to watch. You never know how it will evolve. But so far, I am getting a major trying-too-hard vibe from all the dialogue. 

That's kind of how I feel. Mainly about Topanga's dialogue a lot of the time though :(. It just doesn't seem all that natural. Sometimes it happens with the other's dialogue too. I'm trying not to judge in that regard, but it's rather hard when it keeps on being there, sticking out like a sore thumb. That's one area where they need to step it up. Improve the dialogue, don't have the lessons be so 'hit people over the head', have it be more subtle. Kids are more then able to learn from them, even if they aren't as easily noticeable.

• Love 1
(edited)

1. Riley/Lucas do nothing for me, whether together or as individuals I just don't care about them. I care about Riley when the focus is on her relationships with Cory and Maya, but thats about it. Maybe if they would give her something to do other than obsess over Lucas they could show me a side of her that will make me life her.

In addition to looking like a 17 year old in a class of 13 year olds, Lucas to just to dang bland. There's no character or charisma to him. I do admit to liking all of his interaction's with Maya though, but that was mostly because of Maya.

2. I liked the scenes with Cory, Topanga, and Auggie. Seeing more into the home life of Cory and Topanga was great; as was the reveal that she is indeed a lawyer and not running a trendy pudding shop.

3. Cory pausing his lessons while the kids have a conversation and only continuing once the stop is annoying.

4. Farkles was toned down, thankfully. But the fact that he lurks outside of Riley's window is creepy. Just please drop his love for the girls. I did like that he was otherwise portrayed as a good friend.

5. Maya was great as usual. There were a couple of good insights to her life such as Topanga mothering her and serving her breakfast, and her not knowing how to flirt and not being ready for that yet.

6. The adult themes were funny. The allusion to Cory and Topanga's sex life like Cory apparently saying "whoa, baby" when hopping to bed with Topanga. lol

All in all, I enjoyed everything other than Riley and Lucas. Its a shame they were such a major part of the episode. This is the third episode in a row where RIley is obsessing about him, and from the previews it seems that will continue next week as well.

Edited by Lord Kira
  • Love 2

This episode kinda had me at "Whoa, mama!" and "...because this many tells this many what to do!"  It's definitely the gentlest of the three aired so far, though I do tend to come down on the side that thinks Lucas is still a little too cardboard for the plot we got here with him and Missy (OTOH, the show got it out of the way and he's pretty enough that it was damn near ineviitable one way or another).  Maya and Farkle were both toned down as well, which was nice.  And Cory's ongoing lesson about Pearl Harbor and WW2, sped through as it was, was actually appropriately Feenyish (not completely Feeny, there can be only one--just Feenyish).

(edited)

6. The adult themes were funny. The allusion to Cory and Topanga's sex life like Cory apparently saying "whoa, baby" when hopping to bed with Topanga. lol

I finally got to see part of the third episode today and that was the part I saw :). Made me grin like an idiot. I was like, 'Finally!', in regards to it. Meaning the characters were finally hitting their stride and the writing seems to be getting better (hope they keep it up). I recognized both Cory and Topanga in that scene (not just because of the innuendo either XD). They still have it (chemistry). The scene showed it and that it really comes down to the writing.

Edit: Just saw this episode in its entirety. Really liked it! They finally got Topanga down in regards to the writing and I hope they can keep it up. Laughed my butt off during a lot of the episode. Hope they get rid of the dumb laugh track though.

Loved the ending and how it was one thing in regards to their son, being playful... and another when it came to them XD. So, so well done.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
(edited)

Is it Disney Channel policy that teachers on sitcoms not mention enemy combatants during lesson plans?

Cory has already taught a lesson on the Civil War without mentioning the Confederate States and one on Pearl Harbor without mentioning the Japanese.

I did love Topanga's "Whaaat?' response to Ava's theory on age being a controlling factor in a relationship.

Edited by BigPaul25

Is it Disney Channel policy that teachers on sitcoms not mention enemy combatants during lesson plans?

Cory has already taught a lesson on the Civil War without mentioning the Confederate States and one on Pearl Harbor without mentioning the Japanese.

I did love Topanga's "Whaaat?' response to Ava's theory on age being a controlling factor in a relationship.

Interesting point... maybe they're trying not to alienate parts of the audience, or they could be focusing on the lessons and how they relate to the present day.

Yea that was so fitting. And she had every right to do what she did in regards to handling that spoiled brat.

I thought this episode was cute.  Cuter than the previous ones for sure.  I liked seeing Topanga more and her interactions with Cory are just perfect.  

I also loved the "this many gets to tell this many what to do" bit with Topanga and Augie's little girl friend.  I'm using that line on my husband next time I want my way :) (and for the record, he likes this show more than I do!).

I hope they keep this toned-down version of Farkle.  He's funny and odd without being really over-the-top and annoying. I can see that character growing into something more as the girls get older.  I like him much better than Lucas, he seems and looks more age appropriate.  Lucas bothers me.    

• Love 1

it's funny i loved this episode when it first came out, then when i rewatched it and rewatched i realized... THIS EPISODE SUCKED! lol dialogue was off, riley was annoying, there's NO chemistry with her and lucas, lucas again CAN'T ACT to save his poor handsome soul, and ava needs a SMACK to the face. i found myself rooting for missy lol go missy, get your man girl lol. maya was good for what little she had, glad to see she showed that it's just not natural to know how to flirt as a KID. kids need to see that, stop trying to act grown you brats out here >:) all in all this episode, and riley's attire, was BAD. not horrible, just not what it was when i first watched it.