Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Mind Wars

After freeing Matt from the Espheni Youth Camp, Tom encounters two mysterious strangers in the woods, who attack his family before embarking with him on a violent journey. Hal faces almost insurmountable odds as he tries to lead the remaining Volm and 2nd Mass to a place of perceived safety. Lexi and Anne have a difference of opinions – resulting in dangerous consequences.

It seems like they are doing all they can to make Anne as unlikeable as possible this year.  She doesn't even mention Matt and Hal as potential people she has lost.  Then she doesn't even express any concern that she just severely injured Ben.  It's annoying.  I'm hoping someone goes ahead and ties up Lourdes now.  

I knew it wasn't real, but I was still really hoping that I got my wish and Matt was shot in the face.  But maybe some of that nazi youth camp stuff rubbed off on Matt?  He is suddenly all into the sanctity of life now.  How did Weaver and Matt get so far behind Mason and the bros? They were standing RIGHT THERE when the other three walked away.   

• Love 3

It was nice seeing Chief Tyrol, even in such a thankless role.

So now it's official-- Lexi has two daddies! That reveal was totally unsurprising. What will be interesting will be Anne's reaction. Oh, who am I kidding? Anne will do what every other sci-fi fantasy mom with a hybrid monster baby does. She'll ignore the danger inherent in the monster and insist there's nothing wrong that a mother's love can't cure. Ugh.

To me, it's no contest. The creepy kid is the spawn and ally of the species that has destroyed humanity, a species that Anne herself said were monsters. Lexi and Lourdes would be swiftly killed by anyone not drinking the Kool-aid.

^^^They hid out till the coast was clear, still being short on weapons and on info. I wasn't sure Coop didn't know he just shot up sleeping bags. 

^^^Vala Maldoran tried, but basically she was ready to off Adria, and was part of the group that nearly did her in. 

Ann is still obsessed with Lexi and it's not just her. Lexi is messing with her mind. However, Ben is a freak and he doesn't really matter in the end. I suppose if you have to have earth shattering psychic powers suddenly turn out to be part of science, at least Falling Skies is moving the plot along. When are the Volm going to figure out that Lexi is the power source they've been looking for. Lexi will almost certainly die at the climax of the season I think. I expect Ben sacrifices himself for the real people at the end of the series.

Anne's 80s Cannon Films action-heroine thing was awesome in its single-bloodymindedness, if perhaps exacerbated by Lexi's "You're not the boss of me!" thing.  OTOH, this was largely Will Patton and Maxim Knight's episode (Matt, God bless the little guy, isn't all the way to Red Dawn territory yet).

I was completely underwhelmed by this episode. I shouldn't be surprised that Tom and the gang happened upon two other white men because this show doesn't understand diversity to save its life.

• Love 1

Did Ben ever get a scene reuniting him with  Denny? Or did they only have the budget to pay the actor for only one episode?

I'm bored with the show. I think my interest is inversely proportional to the number of lines the members of the Mason family have.

• Love 1

Wait, was I suppose to be surprised that Lexi has two daddies and one of them is Espheni dude?  That might have been the most obvious twist this summer, Falling Skies.  I prefer you when you just play it safe, because trying to be "smart", is just making you look silly, IMO.  Christ, do I hate this subplot.  Even Anne isn't saving it, because, while right in a lot of ways, she's still coming off too bull headed and obnoxious.  Didn't she really think beating up the Espheni was going to accomplish, anything?  Dammit, Anne.  If you want to vent off steam, at least do me the favor and smack Lourdes.

Hal, Pope, and the gang have a bit of an issue, but they already handle it by the episode's end.  Like that was ever going to be any doubt about that.  It's only in the "special" episodes or season finale, when things start messing up.

If I had been one of those two brothers, I would have been at least somewhat suspicious over Tom's reaction to Matt's "death."  Tom really didn't act like a guy who "lost" his son, during the majority of the ordeal.  I know the whole "people morn in different ways" comes into play, but I figured he would have sold it a bit more then he did.  But, between that and them not noticing the obvious way he was leaving "bread crumbs", those two clearly weren't the brightest.  Again, everything is already wrapped up, and it's back to the same old, same old.  No suspense at all.

Dr. Kadar?   Yay!  Only one scene?  Boo!

(edited)
It seems like they are doing all they can to make Anne as unlikeable as possible this year.  She doesn't even mention Matt and Hal as potential people she has lost.  Then she doesn't even express any concern that she just severely injured Ben.

That's TWICE now she's harmed a harnessed kid by beating the hell out of or straight up stabbing/killing the skitter or Espheni they are attached to. That they are attached to for HER and everyone's benefit by facilitating the conversations when needed. Ugh! Of all the changes, screw-ups, and confusions we've been subject to this season, the drastic change in Anne's character is the biggest individual character assassination. First, she goes from mild-mannered (but smart/strong) doctor to Sarah Connor over the 4 month jump in the first episode. Everyone around her is so okay with this that they allow her to lead the group despite the fact that there are much more seasoned fighters and soldiers with her (Anthony!) and despite the fact that she has no strategic or tactical plan in her head, and isn't concerned with ANYTHING besides finding Lexi, and doesn't care about anyone but Lexi. Having found her, Anne's brought her Lexi-tunnel vision to new heights/depths. Good grief.

Am I supposed to believe that Lourdes got the drop on Anthony that quickly and well-enough for Espheni Daddy to immediately escape like that? Why is Anthony being written this way? And I still don't get what Lourdes' deal is. In the season premiere, I thought everyone in Chinatown was sort of spaced out somehow on some hippie-dippie peace-loving mostly gentle mind-control emanating from Lexi. Aside from Lourdes, Maggie was acting pretty hippie-dippie herself. But now Maggie's her old self, Ben is unaffected, so is the Good Doc Kadar, leaving just Lourdes as seemingly unable to control herself from being completely in Lexi's thrall. Why?

It was nice seeing Chief Tyrol, even in such a thankless role.

It was!

^^^Diversity at Goldman Sachs? I know it's just scifi but let's not talk crazy!

Okay, I straight burst out laughing at that, got some funny looks on the train, lol.

Edited by mattie0808
  • Love 2
(edited)

Ok, that was awful. Anne, you are officially dead to me. I did have to laugh when I realized that this episode was the yearly "no one is as pure as the Mighty Masons" message.  There seems to be one each year that explores how all others are unscrupulous bastards and only the Mason's (and those deemed worthy to be associated with them) are the only good folks left on earth (or at least "good" as the Mighty Mason's define it).

Hey, did I miss it (which is very possible as I give this show very little attention) or did Tom NOT free any kids? Was there some explanation as to why? 

Again, Anne? Fuck off and die. 

Edited by Iamsweetdee
  • Love 1

Matt, it's been three days - shoot the effin' rabbit and let's make a stew!  I had high hopes for you this season, kid, but it looks like they've reverted you back to your previous self.  How long you sell out humanity for an Espheni hoverboard?

Didn't need Maury Povich for Lexi's baby daddy news.  It was pretty friggin' obvious that the Epheni was her father.  My only question is, did she get Tom's DNA as well?  Lexi said the fishhead was "also" her father, leading me to think that he only contributed some DNA in order to create her powers.  This would explain why she looks totally human.

I'm pretty sure the producers and writers of this show don't intend for us to yell "Oh for crying out loud would somebody just kill that damn Lexi already" every time her face graces the TV screen. Pretty sure. Not 100% - maybe that is their intention? No, pretty sure.

Seriously, I think my main beef with the show this season pretty much boils down to Lexi. The show has never been perfect, but I've sensed something different about it this season that's bad in a new way, and it's really Lexi I'm sick of. I didn't mind the scenes with Tom, Weaver and Ben. They weren't great and seemed like a pointless diversion, but they were OK. But every time they cut to Lexi I just groaned. I'm so over it. Her and Lourdes both, need to die.

And how would it have been even possible for Lourdes to set the Espheni captive free? He's being held by Anne's guys - it's not like they'd just let her stroll in there and untie him. That was dumb. 

The parts with Hal's group were pretty good, although if you can just bulldoze a Mech by ramming him with a jeep it's kind of hard to believe they were responsible for the destruction of most of the planet.

• Love 1

The parts with Hal's group were pretty good, although if you can just bulldoze a Mech by ramming him with a jeep it's kind of hard to believe they were responsible for the destruction of most of the planet.

I think that only worked because it was distracted by the trip wire.  Although, how Pope knew that would happen before he went barreling down the road is another story.  Of course, maybe I missed it and it was part of the plan all along?  Otherwise, it was just a steal from the Ewoks.

• Love 1

Seriously, I think my main beef with the show this season pretty much boils down to Lexi. The show has never been perfect, but I've sensed something different about it this season that's bad in a new way, and it's really Lexi I'm sick of.

The other thing that is different this season is that the aliens have become actual characters more and more.  I'm not particularly crazy about that development so far.  I'm getting sick of the Volm and the Espheni Overlords.  Since the show does not actually have satisfying answers to anything, I think its better that they are shadowy beings with mysterious motives than actual speaking parts.

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree that Anne has become annoying, but so have a lot of the others.  I like that at least one group is headed by a female (for a change).  I don't have a problem with Anne changing from being a doctor to a resistance leader over the course of several months.  Tom was a mild-mannered history professor who became a resistance leader pretty quickly in Season 1.  In desperate times, people do what they have to do.  If I thought I'd lost everyone I loved, I'd change into someone grimmer too.  As for leading despite other more experienced fighters in her group, well I expressed the same sentiment about Hal leading his group despite there being other older and more experienced fighters in his group - even Pope has more leadership and fighting experience. 

However, Anne is part of the special snowflake Mason clan - so they must always lead and their agendas must always take precedence - whether it's Anne searching for Lexi or Tom rescuing Matt.  BTW, what happened to Tom's promise to Matt to go back and rescue the other children?

What a waste of Chief Tyrol.

Edited by tv echo

What a waste of Chief Tyrol.

I have to disagree. If anything the tragedy of the two brothers was too loosely related to the story of the Mason family, and too easily detached, put into a separate category where the intensity could be denied. Everybody knew that the series was going to be, however implausibly, the triumph of humanity as exemplified in one family, right? So why is there this ugly, horrifying total defeat stuck in the middle of the series? It doesn't really fit. My feeling is that it was strong, a use of Aaron Douglas far better than the wretched BSG, and wanting to put it in is the kind of thing that makes Falling Skies better than its tired space war/humanity triumphant premise.

I cannot tell a lie......I FF'd through all but about 10 minutes and decided to come here to see what happened.  Same old, same old it seems.  The only part I remember is Matt not wanting to kill for food.  Really?  You would rather starve to death?

• Love 1

It seems like they are doing all they can to make Anne as unlikeable as possible this year.

Even Anne isn't saving it, because, while right in a lot of ways, she's still coming off too bull headed and obnoxious.

I don't have a problem with Anne changing from being a doctor to a resistance leader over the course of several months.

The problem is, Anne as Leader isn't earned, and S4 Anne is completely OCC from pre S4 Anne. She wouldn't torture anyone. She'd be aware when people were hooked up to the skitters before killing them. She wouldn't wail on an overlord because why? She would listen and heed Anthony's advice and they'd work together. She also completely 1D now. This isn't character development. This is also a colossal waste of a very good actor. Whatever she's been in, and she's been in some weirdo shows, MB keeps it real, so you can buy in to the show. The new TPTBs are just completely disrespectful to the actor.

Vala Maldoran tried, but basically she was ready to off Adria, and was part of the group that nearly did her in.

Exception that proves the rule. Also, Vala was played by the radiant Claudia Black. If CB was on this show, the aliens would be like, "uh oh, it's Claudia Black. We'd better get out of here."

Aside from Lourdes, Maggie was acting pretty hippie-dippie herself.

To be fair, Maggie intimated to Ben later on that she was pretty much lying low after she saw that Kadar was outcast because, oh, the baby is suddenly 20 y/o now so maybe we should look into it. 

I actually didn't mind Hal. I thought he was pretty good. His crack to Cochese about staring at each other was funny and well delivered. I kind of like Weaver and Matt too. I thought the actor did a good job of not being condescending while still firmly "I'm the adult here". 

Of course, maybe I missed it and it was part of the plan all along?

I thought it was. I thought Pope was supposed to crash into the mech and then Lady Pope popped up right before and wanted in on the plan. 

The Lexi scenes are just so awful. For one, the actor doesn't have the chops to pull out something interesting from this drivel. And that's not fair to her because not a lot of actors can do that. For the other, anyone in the history of the world who has watched/read scifi doesn't like the force grown alien hybrid plot. It's the tropiest trope that ever troped. I think I liked it in The Gap Cycle and it worked there because it was so fucked up. 

I don't understand how TPTBs could think something like that would be a good idea. I mean, you have to tell the story you want to tell, and not what viewers want. I'm fine with the show being about the Magical Masons, for example. Something this egregious though. I wonder if it's more like, "I know this has been done poorly on other shows, but *this* time it's going to work." It never does though. 

It's ridiculous to expect any long term planning on television. I don't know why because I could bang out an outline in a day, but that's the way it is. But you'd think TPTBs would have some general endgame in mind as a guide. This is a finite show. The humans win. It's not like Mad Men where they could just unfold season to season and then decide that they're going to end it. 

• Love 1

If I had been one of those two brothers, I would have been at least somewhat suspicious over Tom's reaction to Matt's "death."  Tom really didn't act like a guy who "lost" his son, during the majority of the ordeal.  I know the whole "people morn in different ways" comes into play, but I figured he would have sold it a bit more then he did.  But, between that and them not noticing the obvious way he was leaving "bread crumbs", those two clearly weren't the brightest.  Again, everything is already wrapped up, and it's back to the same old, same old.  No suspense at all.

The producers of FS should hire the writers of The Walking Dead. The writers of that show know how to create vicious sadistic drifters that you would find on the road in a post-apocalyptic world. Instead we get two wimpy dysfunctional brothers that Tom could easily manipulate.

Come to think of it, I don't think there has been anyone or any alien that Tom has come across that he wasn't able to outwit and outlast. The man is unreal. There is no suspense. Tom Mason's plans and machinations always succeed.

(edited)

I loved the episode, pretty much all of it.  It felt old school Falling Skies for me, and it put characters together, working together.  It didn't advance the story so much as focus on the characters, and I don't mind that at all in an episode every now and then.  Then again, I seem to be in the minority that I actually like these characters.

Tom's kidnapping (and I don't think he'll reveal his real name anymore to strangers) had very little to do with Tom and everything to do with Weaver and Matt bonding.  By removing Tom from them, Matt and Weaver were able to talk and discuss their losses.  Weaver had just lost his daughter, and he was now focused and driven (when I don't feel he was in the ghetto prison.  He was too focused on Jeannie).  With Jeannie gone, he is all soldier again.  Matt is reminiscent of Ben in season two when hatred was dominating Ben's thoughts, and Tom had to remind him that if hatred is all Ben had left, then the Espheni had already changed him.  Weaver was doing the same with Matt, but Matt had to learn the lesson himself.  Weaver put the rifle in Matt's hand to shoot and kill another human being, and Matt couldn't do it.  He isn't that hardened yet.  I also loved that Tom and Weaver immediately sensed that these guys were all wrong.  It's exactly what I would have expected seasoned fighters to figure out.  Tom and Weaver were suspicious immediately, and Weaver even knew to not sleep in the sleeping bags and move into the woods.  Tom knew that Weaver had taken Matt into the woods, and I enjoyed how Tom layed out his (and Weaver's) suspicions about the two men:  Mormons and liquor, a perfect stash of goods, the Skitter Farm where everyone but the two brothers had escaped.  It was nicely layed out.  I was not surprised that the brothers didn't pick up on Tom leaving breadcrumbs because what experience does the two brothers have overall?  None.  They were prisoners in a Skitter Farm and were about to be harnessed, and the older brother sacrificed everyone to save himself.   Am I suppose to believe that they are SO smart and clever that they can figure out Tom and Weaver's plan?  No.  These guys did not have any of that experience.  They were amateurs.  Lastly, I liked how the Tom/Weaver/Matt arc ended with Tom and Matt's discussion of family - real family.  It wasn't about blood relatives.  True brothers are the ones that are there for you when you need them and will give their lives for you.  I loved that there was no cheesy dialogue of affirmation between Tom and Weaver, and I was expecting Matt to say "You mean like the Colonel is your brother?"  I was very happy not to hear that because it wasn't necessary.  The conversation Tom and Matt were having clearly confirmed that Weaver IS family to the Mason's.  It was said silently between Tom and Weaver - and Matt.  I liked that.

The Hal/Pope/Tector arc was also good.  They were working together and listening to each other, and everyone had a say in the plan.  There was no fighting, which I can get tired of.  I did almost cringe at the idea of them "tripping" a Mech, but it was a tongue-in-cheek moment where the Mech stopped short of the rope and Pope, instead, just rammed into the Mech toppling it offer.  I didn't know what the plan was until I saw the Volm take the power source out of the Mech.  I thought that made sense.  A mech would have a record in its memory of where the rest of the Espheni forces are located.  I thought that made sense.  Simple but effective.  

Lexi is still the weak link, but I did like the fact that Anne was acting like Anne.  Some have asked why the 2nd Mass would allow Anne to lead and they would follow just to save her daughter, and the answer, imo, is that they are family.  These remnants of the 2nd Mass views each other as one family.  Anne needs to find her daughter, and Anthony (and the others) who considers her family, is going to help her.  I liked that Anne, Anthony, Maggie, Ben all treated the Espheni Overlord as the enemy.  They are not drinking the kool-aid.  I was a bit upset that Ben wasn't being utilized more until that new twist (which I still haven't quite figured out or confirmed) is whether or not Ben is not connected, officially, to the Espheni overlord (Geminus).  When he was being beaten by Anne, Ben felt everything, and he wasn't near the Overlord.  So what did Geminus do to Ben?  Is Ben also part of his plan along with Lexi?  Is Ben now helpless against Geminus to control him?  I like the relationship also between Ben and Maggie.  I don't have a problem with it.  The only character that can die now is Lourdes.  She's annoying.  I wasn't surprised that Geminus' DNA is part of Lexi.  How else could she have the powers she has, but then again, we have not seen the Espheni have any extraordinary powers.  So that's still something that hasn't been explored.  

So overall, I thought it was a solid episode.  I enjoyed it.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 1

When Ben first woke up, Lexi said something about the three of them being needed. Anybody remember details?

She spoke about the necklace she was wearing, which represents three circles, and when she spoke to Ben, she seemed to imply that she and Ben were two of the three.  I'm beginning to think that the third entity in that triade is Geminus, based on how Ben became linked to him during the beating.

• Love 1
Instead we get two wimpy dysfunctional brothers that Tom could easily manipulate.

Super Tom can do anything. Including walk up on two strangers, whom you are concerned enough about that you have your colleagues sneak around to flank, and then when asked your name, knowing that the Espheni and Espheni allies would recognize it, actually reply, "Tom Mason." It would be like going to a Brazilian slum and saying, "Hi, I'm president of a big, wealthy company."

It was pretty friggin' obvious that the Epheni was her father.

I thought the show had already told us so. The reveal was just bizarre. So that leaves me with only one question: Why does Lexi have "powers"? Espheni don't seem to have powers. They wouldn't need mechs and soldiers if they did.

a use of Aaron Douglas far better than the wretched BSG,

Say what now?

(edited)

Super Tom can do anything. Including walk up on two strangers, whom you are concerned enough about that you have your colleagues sneak around to flank, and then when asked your name, knowing that the Espheni and Espheni allies would recognize it, actually reply, "Tom Mason." It would be like going to a Brazilian slum and saying, "Hi, I'm president of a big, wealthy company."

Why would Tom think that he couldn't use his real name?  Why would he suspect that humans would give him up to the Espheni?  He also had no reason to assume that "The Ghost" was known anywhere except in the ghetto prison.  Now that he knows otherwise, I'm sure he won't make that mistake again in the future, but in THAT particular moment, he had no reason to believe that the two brothers were useless human beings, one of which sold his nephews to the Espheni to save his own hide.  I would have been more disappointed if Tom and Weaver hadn't seen through the two brothers immediately considering how much Weaver and Tom have been through.  Being played or manipulated by those two brothers would have been an insult.  So I had no problem with Tom getting the better of them.  Last season, when they came across that other family, the Picketts, the father was much more on the ball, and he got the drop on Tom.  This time around, Tom was able to get the drop on these two dimwits.  I don't have a problem with it.

Edited by Bishop
Why would Tom think that he couldn't use his real name?  Why would he suspect that humans would give him up to the Espheni?

I thought of it, enough to wonder how he would answer. "We're just drifters ..." or "My name isn't important, I'm just passing through" maybe. I mean, for pete's sake, they even had him say "we" with no visible companions, had one of the brothers ask, "Who is we?" and had Tom dismissively say, "That's not important." I mean, talk about waving a flag in someone's face.

That and the fact they already knew the Espheni were searching for them en masse, and had referred to that fact several times ... I think there were plenty of obvious reasons for the guy who broke out of a prison, after BBQing an Espheni, and is traveling on foot so he can't be far from where he escaped, to be at least a little cautious about identfying himself with his real name to strangers. But not Super Tom.

And that is why watching this show makes me laugh out loud a couple times each week. Because Mason can do no wrong, even when he is being amazingly silly.

• Love 1
(edited)
I thought of it, enough to wonder how he would answer. "We're just drifters ..." or "My name isn't important, I'm just passing through" maybe. I mean, for pete's sake, they even had him say "we" with no visible companions, had one of the brothers ask, "Who is we?" and had Tom dismissively say, "That's not important." I mean, talk about waving a flag in someone's face.

I don't know about waving a red flag.  It would have made me cautious about him, but I don't see how the two brothers could have assumed that Tom was trouble.  Frankly, it was a mistake on Tom's part (only proving he makes mistakes).  I'm thinking that they hadn't eaten in three days, were hungry and tired, and they were willing to take some chances.

That and the fact they already knew the Espheni were searching for them en masse, and had referred to that fact several times ... I think there were plenty of obvious reasons for the guy who broke out of a prison, after BBQing an Espheni, and is traveling on foot so he can't be far from where he escaped, to be at least a little cautious about identfying himself with his real name to strangers. But not Super Tom.

Lol, I'm guessing you don't like Tom? That's fine.  But you are making an assumption that everyone would know Tom Mason.  I mean I can see your point to a degree about being cautious, but I don't think Tom and the 2nd Mass have come across many humans who have sold their soul to the Espheni.  I think it's a leap to assume that because the Espheni were looking for the escaped prisoners that everyone knew Tom Mason.  The people in the prison knew Tom becaues they were with the 2nd Mass.  People outside the ghetto don't know Tom from Adam (or so we thought), and so why would Tom assume that they knew of him?  The only reason Cooper knew (I'm guessing) was because he had been a prisoner in the Skitter Farm camp, and I assume word got out about the prison break (perhaps), and they offered Cooper a chance to save himself if he helped with the prisoner escape.  Regardless, Tom had no way of knowing.  So he went out first, gave his name (not realizing that anyone knew him.), and I'm guessing when he found out they were brothers and camping out, that they were okay.  So he called in Weaver and Matt.  They WERE hungry, having not eaten in three days.  So I can see them taking the risk to eat.  It's not like Tom and Weaver ever lowered their guard, and once they had a chance to look around and talk to the two brothers, they knew something was up.  I thought it was well played, actually.  Like I said, they needed to eat.

And that is why watching this show makes me laugh out loud a couple times each week. Because Mason can do no wrong, even when he is being amazingly silly.

Not sure where you get the idea that Tom can do no wrong, especially since Tom has made mistakes over the last four seasons.  You make it sound like every decision he's ever made has been gold.  He's a smart guy, but he's made mistakes.  Also, Tom tends to make decisions with Weaver's input, before he makes a move.  He doesn't make unilateral decisions.  Even going after Matt did not put the rest of the 2nd Mass in danger.  It was Tom's personal mission, and if it got him killed, then he got killed.  He didn't take the 2nd Mass with him.  I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.  I didn't find his actions in this episode silly at all.  I thought he (and Weaver) were pretty smart.  They got to eat, and they got out, and now Tom knows that people - humans - may be working for the Espheni.  I doubt he'll trust strangers again.  Lesson learned.

Edited by Bishop
(edited)

She spoke about the necklace she was wearing,

whch represents three circles, and when she spoke to Ben, she seemed to imply that she and Ben were two of the three

That might be right, I had (naively) assumed it was humans, Espheni, and Lexi (the hybrid).

I'm in the camp that has known about Lexi being a Hybrid since she was born.  Remember, Dr. tested her DNA shortly after she was born because she was worried about her, and found the alien DNA then.   No humans grow at her rate, or have the power she has been showing, or can hear the Espheni directly.  We didn't need all of the hints from this season to explain it to us, Am glad they finally revealed which Espheni it was. 

Which leads me to wonder, did Lourdes ever really recover from her eye worm?  Is her obsession with Lexi a continuation of her behavior right after Lexi was born?

As for Tom, this is not the first or even second time he/Weaver have come across humans working with the Espheni.  There was an old woman in an apartment building reporting on the 2nd mass,  there was a group of people stealing the children and giving them to the Espheni, he just got Matt back from a school run by humans connected with the Espheni.  They've also run across just the everyday criminal.  However, the Espheni already knew where Tom was, since they had adult Skitters?(Jeann ie)following them, and they just rescued Matt..

Edited by mythoughtis
(edited)

That might be right, I had (naively) assumed it was humans, Espheni, and Lexi (the hybrid).

I don't think you're naive.  It could be that Ben is not involved, but I sense that he is only because he does have alien DNA in him (or Skitter DNA), and he did make a connection to Geminus during that beating.  I think Geminus did something to Ben that has now formed a permanent connection to him.  I was reading some reviews, and one of the theories, which is an interesting one, is that now that Ben may be connected physically to Geminus, the 2nd Mass won't be able to kill him, not without killing Ben.  I thought that was an interesting twist, if proven true.

I'm in the camp that has known about Lexi being a Hybrid since she was born.  Remember, Dr. tested her DNA shortly after she was born because she was worried about her, and found the alien DNA then.   No humans grow at her rate, or have the power she has been showing, or can hear the Espheni directly.  We didn't need all of the hints from this season to explain it to us, Am glad they finally revealed which Espheni it was.

I'm glad they didn't drag their feet on the reveal as well.  I always wondered how Lexi had become a hybrid, and I assumed that something had been done to Tom on the ship, but then that would have made him part alien, and we never saw that brought into the story.  Now we learn, that the transfer of alien DNA happened while Anne was still pregnant, which makes sense.  However, when did the aliens have access to Anne?  My guess is that while Lourdes was under the influence of the eye worms, she drugged Anne and brought her to the Espheni during her pregnancy.  Just a theory.

Which leads me to wonder, did Lourdes ever really recover from her eye worm?  Is her obsession with Lexi a continuation of her behavior right after Lexi was born?

I have to agree.  She could have been conditioned to be Lexi's caregiver by the Espheni.  Even though Lexi removed the eyeworms, she has shown to be loyal to her other "father."  So by saving Lourdes, she has made Lourdes loyal to her - and by extension, Geminus.

As for Tom, this is not the first or even second time he/Weaver have come across humans working with the Espheni.  There was an old woman in an apartment building reporting on the 2nd mass,  there was a group of people stealing the children and giving them to the Espheni, he just got Matt back from a school run by humans connected with the Espheni.  They've also run across just the everyday criminal.  However, the Espheni already knew where Tom was, since they had adult Skitters?(Jeann ie)following them, and they just rescued Matt..

I remember that old woman in the apartment building, but she also had some mental issues, if I remember correctly.  The main point in the conversation in this thread was more about "How could Tom not know he was famous or his name well known?"  And my argument is how could he possibly know that?  Yeah, some people might know of him, but everyone, all humans?  The argument is why would Tom reveal his real name to a few human strangers that he just met, and I don't see how he could jump to the conclusion that 1) they knew who Tom Mason was; and 2) that they were working for the Espheni.  Granted, he has learned that lesson now, and I don't see him telling people who he is or even mentioning the 2nd Mass, which I would think is also famous at this point.  I just don't think he (or Weaver) would automatically assume that all humans are selling out their own.  I think Tom is going to be more leery now because Cochise did tell him that it was highly unusual for an Espheni warlord to oversee a ground operation, and that's when Weaver pointed out to Tom that Scorch was looking for Tom, specifically.  

I want to bring up another theory that I mentioned in an earlier thread which is - what if the Espheni have no soldiers of their own, and their soldiers consist of other species that they have conquered and mutated in other battles.  I say this because we've never actually seen Espheni ground soldiers, only Overlords.  Their "soldiers" consist of Skitters and Mechs and mutated human children.  I am still of the mind that the Espheni are so arrogant that they consider it beneath themselves to actually fight a war against their enemies, and therefore use other species to fight their wars for them.  It's almost like a game between Overlords - "My plan is better than your plan, and let's see who wins."  

I think this season has been pretty good so far, and I think it's raising lots of interesting questions.  It's nice to actually discuss the story theories with someone.  Thanks for that.

Edited by Bishop

Why would Tom think that he couldn't use his real name?  Why would he suspect that humans would give him up to the Espheni?  He also had no reason to assume that "The Ghost" was known anywhere except in the ghetto prison.

In and earlier scene in this episode Tom acknowledged that the big alien he and Matt escaped from was looking specifically for him. And, like @MyThoughts mentioned upthread, this is not Tom's first rodeo with human traitors.

In and earlier scene in this episode Tom acknowledged that the big alien he and Matt escaped from was looking specifically for him. And, like @MyThoughts mentioned upthread, this is not Tom's first rodeo with human traitors.

Yes, but it'seems a leap for him to assume that all humans in the area were alien traitors. Should he have been more cautious? Sure. I'm sure he's learned that lesson now. Another example that he's not perfect. I just don't see it as a big deal. It was a mistake that he will learn from.

I was completely underwhelmed by this episode. I shouldn't be surprised that Tom and the gang happened upon two other white men because this show doesn't understand diversity to save its life.

This show is about aliens from other worlds.  Sounds like plenty of diversity to me.