Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Who's the fairest of them all?

• Start Topic

I am neither worried nor do I intend to cheer. I simply have watched network tv for long enough to know that we should never count on the renewal of a show with the ratings Once is getting. Better shows than this with better ratings have been cancelled before. Do I think it will be renewed for all the reasons stated in this thread? Yes. Is there a possibility it won't be? Yes. 

All I care about at the moment is that A&E are given enough advanced notice to write their series finale and not just end it on some 10 minute tacked on wrap-up of their normal season finale, be it 5 months, 12 months, or 17 months from now. 

• Love 11

All I care about at the moment is that A&E are given enough advanced notice to write their series finale and not just end it on some 10 minute tacked on wrap-up of their normal season finale, be it 5 months, 12 months, or 17 months from now. 

What I don't want to see is everyone randomly having a party at Granny's and Snow saying, "Well, looks we all got our happy endings! Teehee!" with a fade to black for the final scene. All this crappy conflict going on in S6 is the same filler we've been getting since S4. There's nothing conclusive about any of it, and 6B can't possibly make it any better.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

What I don't want to see is everyone randomly having a party at Granny's and Snow saying, "Well, looks we all got our happy endings! Teehee!" with a fade to black for the final scene. 

If won't be Once Upon a Time if the series doesn't end with a mysterious figure banging the door open and promising to take away all their Happy Endings, if that's the last thing they do. And then, Emma turns to Killian and says, "Here we go again." :-p

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Souris said:

I expect the show to get a S7, whether shortened or not, but I also wouldn't be shocked if it didn't.

The S6 renewal was announced on March 3 last season. But just because that's when it was made last time doesn't mean that's when it would be made this time.

With how sloppy ABC has been lately in every aspect of the company it wouldn't surprise me if it's later. ABC really is a mess lately.

19 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

What I don't want to see is everyone randomly having a party at Granny's and Snow saying, "Well, looks we all got our happy endings! Teehee!" with a fade to black for the final scene. All this crappy conflict going on in S6 is the same filler we've been getting since S4. There's nothing conclusive about any of it, and 6B can't possibly make it any better.

It'll probably end with some kind of flashforward to adult Henry reading the offsprings of all the pairings(including CS babies) the storybook and maybe everybody in the background. Bonus if it's Emma's birthday as well.

I was doing some basic calculations with the remaining episodes. Because there's an award show airing on May 14, Once has to end on the 7. Even with a double episode for the finale, they still need to run an episode in February with no breaks from March to May to show all 12 episodes remaining. ABC airs the Academy Awards the final Sunday in February, so would they air episode 11 and then break for a week before getting to the rest of the season? How do you do press for the show coming back and then be like yeah sorry you only get this episode and then we're off for another week. The scheduling is going to be horrendous unless they decide to do a double episode sometime before the finale.

10 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Well, at least for this show, double episodes don't have to be remotely related to each other, so any old episode can be thrown together if need be.

"Aladdin and Jasmine attempt to steal a bundt cake from the Blind Witch's cousin. They meet Dorothy, Red, and Third Wheel along the way, who are still on the hunt to find Red's pack. Meanwhile, Jasmine gets some advice from her former college roommate, Merida."

You have what it takes to work in the Once Writers' Room.

RIP my potential writing career. ;)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 5
On 12/3/2016 at 7:05 PM, KAOS Agent said:

I was doing some basic calculations with the remaining episodes. Because there's an award show airing on May 14, Once has to end on the 7. Even with a double episode for the finale, they still need to run an episode in February with no breaks from March to May to show all 12 episodes remaining. ABC airs the Academy Awards the final Sunday in February, so would they air episode 11 and then break for a week before getting to the rest of the season? How do you do press for the show coming back and then be like yeah sorry you only get this episode and then we're off for another week. The scheduling is going to be horrendous unless they decide to do a double episode sometime before the finale.

There are 10 Sundays between The Oscars & Billboards.  If ABC goes forward with putting American Crime and We Will Rise on Sundays starting the week after Oscars, then it would leave two weeks where Once could air two episodes as while Crime is 10 episodes, Rise is only 8.  

I'd guess they doublepump the final four eps of the season on Apr 30 and May 7, with Rise having ended on Apr 23.

Edited by Tiger
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:05 PM, KAOS Agent said:

They've doubled up before, so it's still possible.

1 hour ago, KingOfHearts said:

So... freaking March? I think I will be over the show by then.

They've had hiatuses like this before, there's just even less to look forward to (if anything at all).

12 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

I think this time we may be waiting another week.

The last few seasons have been around that time.

1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Maybe the first episode back will be two hours and then the final episode as well? Those are when the best ratings happen, where usually the ratings do a semicircle during the in-between episodes.

Those usually had something going for them except for the random filler episode.

Once is Back to .9 

I am not happy about it!

I want a final season.

Really thought Princess Emma, the E. F scenery could have brought back some viewers. Adding to the fact that NCIS L.A  was not playing.

But, didn't like what they did to Emma characterisation. So not sad either!

4 minutes ago, maryle said:

Once is Back to .9 

I am not happy about it!

I want a final season.

Really thought Princess Emma, the E. F scenery could have brought back some viewers. Adding to the fact that NCIS L.A  was not playing.

But, didn't like what they did to Emma characterisation. So not sad either!

You'll get a final season. IMO we're gonna get a S7, not a full one but a final one.

I'm personally glad last nights episode dropped it was horrible and deserved a bad rating. Plus maybe it'll wake Adam and Eddy up to realize nobody wants to see a SQ finale ever again.

1 minute ago, Hookian said:

You'll get a final season. IMO we're gonna get a S7, not a full one but a final one.

I'm personally glad last nights episode dropped it was horrible and deserved a bad rating. Plus maybe it'll wake Adam and Eddy up to realize nobody wants to see a SQ finale ever again.

I don't know about nobody, but if they don't get it 6 seasons in, they're not gonna get it.

I'm experiencing some serious Regina induced fatigue. There's been too much of her, too much propping and I'm ready to fold at this point.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I don't know about nobody, but if they don't get it 6 seasons in, they're not gonna get it.

I'm experiencing some serious Regina induced fatigue. There's been too much of her, too much propping and I'm ready to fold at this point.

Truly, the Regina overload this season was overwhelming. It was too much and needs to stop.

11 minutes ago, Souris said:

Once tied with a rerun of Bull on CBS. A RERUN!

A&E won't learn. If they were open to learning, they would have learned by now.

That's not a big deal. CBS always has inflated ratings, always. From 60 minute carry out same with Fox except there's is from Football.

Edited by Hookian

So, is it safe to officially call this episode a show-killer yet?

So, S6 has gotten 0.9 episodes thrice now, has sunk to 0.8 in one half-hour, the current average is 1.0 and guaranteed to sink to 0.9 (OUATIW's average) and possibly lower when it returns in March.  The 18-49 demo is the key demo, and if it is so uninterested in the show at this point, then the show isn't going to last. I still think we'll have a final S7, but at this point it being cancelled right here and now isn't beyond the realm of possibility. 

I wouldn't call it a show killer. They've been struggling all season with this drawn out Evil Queen nonsense. If anything, it will hopefully be a sign to turn it down a notch before the back end of the season starts up again. I know we've been lamenting the long break this time around, but I think it will be needed to retool and reedit if they want to hold on to the viewers they have for 6B.

That being said, I just don't think the OUATIW is a fair comparison. That show ended two years ago when many more people were watching network television. It's amazing how much the market has sunk since then with cord cutters. Here's a great chart for comparison. This is the 2013 ratings ranked by P2+ viewers -- not the usual 18-49, I know. But if Once was ranked on this 2013 list based on their 2016 numbers from yesterday -- 3.25 million viewers -- it would be around the 130th show and wayyyyy below OUATIW in 97th place. Instead, it was at 35 in 2013. Better than where it probably ends up on today's overall lists on a weekly basis, but also much better than Wonderland ever did.

And look at a Cancel/Renew index like this one. All the shows ahead of Once are half-hour comedies except for one. You have three hour-long dramas doing worse than Once -- including Agents of Shield, which is also being propped up by Disney for company synergy -- and two additional dramas that have already been kicked to the curb. I know a fractional number isn't good, but don't compare it to an ABC show two years ago. Compare it to now. ABC is hurting for hour-long dramas, and Once fills a hole they haven't cracked yet. Maybe they will give it a shortened seventh season, but depends more on what's in the pipeline for next season than the actual ratings number itself. And I just can't imagine they have anything great in that pipeline just yet.

• Love 2

But it's still gotten to the point where taking a risk on a new drama to fill Once's slot looks more profitable than keeping Once around.

Even without the OUATIW comparison, I'd say that when you go fractional in the key demo, you're in trouble.  The main reason I suspect that it will still receive a S7 is that the average for 6A is 1.0, just above going fractional, and they'll gladly use that as an excuse for a renewal for a final season.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Hookian said:

Plus maybe it'll wake Adam and Eddy up to realize nobody wants to see a SQ finale ever again.

Definitely not nobody. The SQ moments were the only redeemable parts in this finale. 

I think we'll get a S7, but it'll be a gift. Time to wrap it up.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Souris said:

Once tied with a rerun of Bull on CBS. A RERUN!

A&E won't learn. If they were open to learning, they would have learned by now.

They don't care, it's S6 and the writing has only gotten worse.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Souris said:

FWIW, somebody has completed a demo breakdown of each ep of every show this season. Once's page.

Fascinating. My takeaway from this is younger women abandoned the show after 6x02 and really have never come back (just looking at trends, not individual episode ratings). That's a pretty steep 0.3 decline that they never really recovered from.

Whereas, 6x02 was a complete outlier for younger men. Go figure.

Supports my theory that the show is losing women, because it abandoned its romantic focus when the writers read some coverage about how Grey's Anatomy reinvented their show after killing off a popular male character and said "Hey...we can do that, too!" Or something.

Still think it's better than even odds this show is moved next year. Fractional ratings at 8PM on Sunday is just embarrassing. Even Fox doesn't do that.

• Love 1

Supports my theory that the show is losing women, because it abandoned its romantic focus when the writers read some coverage about how Grey's Anatomy reinvented their show after killing off a popular male character and said "Hey...we can do that, too!" Or something.

The romance has been one of Once's biggest draws. There are so many people just watching for the pairings. I don't understand why the writers are not banking on that. They killed off Robin, dropped the Captain Swan focus, and made Rumpbelle a living tragedy. Snowing is just happy they got something, anything, to work with. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

The romance has been one of Once's biggest draws. There are so many people just watching for the pairings. I don't understand why the writers are not banking on that. 

Because they listened to the CS haters screaming all S5 about there being too much romance and the show should go back to focusing on family only (read: the Swan Mills family).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Tiger said:

ABC has removed scenes of Once from its commercial for the Watch ABC app.  

Oh god, I don't think I can handle OUAT getting cancelled this year. I need a Season 7 to fix the terrible mess that is Season 6. As long as it doesn't have a dual Regina plot, it'll already be a huge improvement.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Curio said:

Oh god, I don't think I can handle OUAT getting cancelled this year. I need a Season 7 to fix the terrible mess that is Season 6. As long as it doesn't have a dual Regina plot, it'll already be a huge improvement.

I don't think the show is getting cancelled, and by the time the show comes back I'm sure we'll know one way or another.

BTW since this is the appropriate thread I actually DMed Adam on Twitter about a S7 and he basically said that ABC and him and Eddy have talked over S7 and that he hopes it will go longer then 7 seasons.

I was like please no Adam. Just use this season as the penultimate and wrap the show up in a final 13 episodes with a pretty little bow. So from what he told me it does sound like ABC is planning on giving OUAT a S7 at least at the moment.

Which isn't shocking they literally have nothing going for them ATM. All their new shows are expected to be DOA. Designated Survivor is now down to a 1.3 in it's first season. The ratings landscape is changing consistently and new shows are dying very early now.

Edited by Hookian
8 hours ago, Souris said:

What scenes were they?

IIRC, there were two: one with EQ smirking at someone and then purple poofing herself, and the other I think was Charming on a horse.

3 hours ago, Hookian said:

I don't think the show is getting cancelled, and by the time the show comes back I'm sure we'll know one way or another.

BTW since this is the appropriate thread I actually DMed Adam on Twitter about a S7 and he basically said that ABC and him and Eddy have talked over S7 and that he hopes it will go longer then 7 seasons.

I was like please no Adam. Just use this season as the penultimate and wrap the show up in a final 13 episodes with a pretty little bow. So from what he told me it does sound like ABC is planning on giving OUAT a S7 at least at the moment.

Which isn't shocking they literally have nothing going for them ATM. All their new shows are expected to be DOA. Designated Survivor is now down to a 1.3 in it's first season. The ratings landscape is changing consistently and new shows are dying very early now.

Of course Adam, and Eddy, would say that.  Their Freeform show bombed, and they know that when this show is done they are unlikely to sell another at least to ABC.  

Designated is putting up huge live+3, C3, live+7, live+30, on-demand, and second screen/streaming numbers.  Housewife isnsoing very well and like Blackish being financed by in-show advertising.  Speechless is also solid.  

On top of that the studio is trying to save Quantico, Channing is trying to save Conviction, Sherwood and Iger want more comedy, and when you look at the revenue streams, politics, and real estate, the possible roads to renewal for Once are closing. 

Speaking exclusivly to the real estate, let's say they only add one additional hour of comedy next fall.  That hour, like with the Tues expansion this year,.will come at the expense of drama, not alternative. 

So lets say ABc does something akin to this next fall:

Mon: Dancing/drama

Tue: 4 comedies/Inhumans & Shield

Wed: 4 comedies/Designated

Thu: 3 Shonda hours

Fri: 4 comedies/2020

Sun: AFV/Shark/drama/drama

So you have Once, Conviction, Quantico, potentially Time After Time, Catch, and Starcrossed, and whatever new dramas the network picks up, all fighting for three slots on the fall schedule.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Tiger said:

So you have Once, Conviction, Quantico, potentially Time After Time, Catch, and Starcrossed, and whatever new dramas the network picks up, all fighting for three slots on the fall schedule.

When is that Disney theme-park show supposed to be for? It seems like the obvious replacement for Once. So I figure when that's ready, Once is done. Will they fast-track it for fall? Or midseason next year?

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

On top of that the studio is trying to save Quantico, Channing is trying to save Conviction, Sherwood and Iger want more comedy,

Wouldn't it be easier to give Priyanka Chopra and Merrin Dungey the leads in a new comedy than trying to save the mess that are Quantico and Conviction?

Back to OUAT, I'm more and more convinced that this is the last season, because after that mess of winter finale, I expect the spring numbers to be terrible. I just hope the studio informs A&E with time so they don't end in a cliffhanger, the actors can start searching for a new pilot and the fans can mentally prepare themselves.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 3

The TVbythenetwork made this report about OUAT...

There’s no polite way to put this, not that the Bear is having a sudden attack of politeness: “Once Upon a Time” is struggling this season.

It’s down more than 30 percent vs. this time last year (1.07 rating vs. 1.57 in 2015). It ended last season right at the network average for scripted shows; this season it’s about 0.25 below that.

And yet The Bear could still see ABC trying to squeeze one more year out of the show and the seemingly bottomless supply of Disney IP to which it has access. With “Quantico” shipping out to Mondays and “Secrets and Lies” done, the network is already rebuilding half its Sunday schedule. Moving “OUAT” away at the end of this season would mean pretty much a full teardown. That’s not a good prospect to face going into next fall.

There’s also a case to be made, if ratings take a turn for the worse in the spring, that ABC will announce an end date a month or two out and let the show go out with a bit of dignity intact.

The former scenario is probably the more likely, but a little more time will tell. The Bear is keeping “Once” a tossup for now, leaning a little toward renewal.

So they predict one final season as well.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

IIRC, there were two: one with EQ smirking at someone and then purple poofing herself, and the other I think was Charming on a horse.

Of course Adam, and Eddy, would say that.  Their Freeform show bombed, and they know that when this show is done they are unlikely to sell another at least to ABC.  

Designated is putting up huge live+3, C3, live+7, live+30, on-demand, and second screen/streaming numbers.  Housewife isnsoing very well and like Blackish being financed by in-show advertising.  Speechless is also solid.  

On top of that the studio is trying to save Quantico, Channing is trying to save Conviction, Sherwood and Iger want more comedy, and when you look at the revenue streams, politics, and real estate, the possible roads to renewal for Once are closing. 

Speaking exclusivly to the real estate, let's say they only add one additional hour of comedy next fall.  That hour, like with the Tues expansion this year,.will come at the expense of drama, not alternative. 

So lets say ABc does something akin to this next fall:

Mon: Dancing/drama

Tue: 4 comedies/Inhumans & Shield

Wed: 4 comedies/Designated

Thu: 3 Shonda hours

Fri: 4 comedies/2020

Sun: AFV/Shark/drama/drama

Why is Shield on there, no way is that getting renewed. That essentially is cancelled with the announcement of the Inhumans series.

I think OUAT will get a final season in it's timeslot IMO. Conviction is done, horrible ratings all around. Quantico is probably done especially if it still sucks on Mondays. The new shows are gonna be DOA as predicted. 

I think what they'll do is give OUAT one final season airing in fall and then lead in to the Disney theme park TV show for Spring.

Why would Shark go on Sundays? That is a Friday night show. 4 new comedies on Friday, they might as well be DOA on impact, what with Friday nights being the death slot for shows.

I could see them moving OUAT to Fridays for the final season. Or have it stick on Sunday.

Edited by Hookian
4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Thanks, Tiger -- as you are someone who clearly works in this industry, I really appreciate your perspective. I can follow a bunch of ratings-focused Twitter accounts and read all the Zap2It entries my heart desires, and I still don't have your knowledge. Please continue to share your insights!!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Hookian said:

Why is Shield on there, no way is that getting renewed. That essentially is cancelled with the announcement of the Inhumans series.

I think OUAT will get a final season in it's timeslot IMO. Conviction is done, horrible ratings all around. Quantico is probably done especially if it still sucks on Mondays. The new shows are gonna be DOA as predicted. 

I think what they'll do is give OUAT one final season airing in fall and then lead in to the Disney theme park TV show for Spring.

Why would Shark go on Sundays? That is a Friday night show. 4 new comedies on Friday, they might as well be DOA on impact, what with Friday nights being the death slot for shows.

I could see them moving OUAT to Fridays for the final season. Or have it stick on Sunday.

Inhumans is only 8 episodes though, so they still have a lot of holes to cover up either way.

Fridays is actually doing a whole lot better than Sundays which has sunk much lower for ABC.

• Love 3

Interesting, cancel Bear analyze Once and his reason to said the show struggle this year. He is a little more pessimistic than the reaper but still leaning toward renewing. 

1) he wrote it is down more than 30 pourcent than same date( this year 1.07  versus 1.57 en 2015)

2) ..." It ended last season right at the network average for scripted show this  0.25 below that."

So, it really beginning to smell the end of Once era. 

Still  believing we are getting a final season7  but beginning to prepare myself for a possible cancellation sooner.

The important thing i this year or next year at this date. I will have cs engage and happy.

9 hours ago, Hookian said:

1) The budget for Shield five seasons of 22 eps each was "buried" in that for the first Avengers movie.  

2) Conviction isnt done.  Channing is trying to save her sister's show.

3) Quantico was explicitly mentioned in the recent Disney earnings report and call about the report.  It's international sales are making ABC Studios a shit ton of money.  

4) Once definitely wont be used to launch jack.  It's viewers and now demos are lower than AFV.

5) Shark Tank will be on the move if ABC goes forward with a Friday comedy 4 block.  Mark my words, ABC will be adding an hour of comedy next fall and Fri at 9 or Sun at 8 are the only available options.

Look, Once was a successful show with six seasons and I believe almost 130 episodes.  But the sun has set on it.  It's just like when ABC cancelled Desperate and Home Makeover a few years ago.  They were once huge hits that defined the network and Sunday nights, but their time came to an end and the network moved on.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 5

Hmm, Once's season is currently at 76% of the major network average rating.

Desperate Housewives was at 116%. Brothers and Sisters ended with 87%. Castle ended with 75%. Extreme Makeover Home Edition was at....89% in S8; then, I believe to make room for Once, it got shuffled around and ended 2 seasons later with 53%. Private Practice ended with 63%, with the previous season 96% - mostly from losing Grey's as a lead-in. Alias ended at 57%, with the previous season 103% (a combo of losing Lost as a lead-in and being shuffled around a lot). 

Edited by jjjmoss

Regarding Quantico's international sales, they may have been mentioned in the Disney report, but that doesn't mean they're the only show that is making extra money for ABC Studios. Agents and Once were the only ABC shows represented in the Comic Con main hall and autograph signings, they're the only ones with extensive merchandise lines. No one is lining up for a Kiefer Sutherland Funko Pop doll or wrapping themselves up in Modern Family throw blanket from Hot Topic.

Listen, we have to be honest. This show is struggling. It'll likely be seven seasons by the time this show is done. But some of the doom and gloom here is a little too much doom and gloom. And who knows. Maybe pairing it with something like Time After Time or Still Star-Crossed would actually help it. Shows have died on Sundays after Once because none of them matched up with Once. Revenge, 666 Park Avenue, and now Quantico and Secrets and Lies? How is a show about terrorists or a murder mystery a good match for a fantasy show? I keep going back to this from the Cancel Bear today:

And yet The Bear could still see ABC trying to squeeze one more year out of the show and the seemingly bottomless supply of Disney IP to which it has access. With “Quantico” shipping out to Mondays and “Secrets and Lies” done, the network is already rebuilding half its Sunday schedule. Moving “OUAT” away at the end of this season would mean pretty much a full teardown. That’s not a good prospect to face going into next fall.

I really have no idea if the show will get another season or not.  Frankly, I'm not really sure it matters from a standpoint of getting a satisfying ending whether they have warning or not. 

I kind of wish they'd put it at 9 or 10 PM in season 7 just to see if it would shake any thinking enough to make a change. I guess I'm still disappointed that I signed up for a show that I thought taking a new look at the great fairy tales of literature (or at least movies) and I ended up getting a new take on theme park rides.

I do have to admit that even though I had heard Conviction was circling the drain, the first thing I thought when I saw them advertise the move to Sunday was....'they are going after the Good Wife audience.  Smart.'  Conviction is better at being the type of show it is than OUAT is at being the type of show it is.  If Conviction can find a Sunday audience, I think that hurts OUAT chances more than anything.

16 hours ago, Free said:

Inhumans is only 8 episodes though, so they still have a lot of holes to cover up either way.

Fridays is actually doing a whole lot better than Sundays which has sunk much lower for ABC.

5 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I really have no idea if the show will get another season or not.  Frankly, I'm not really sure it matters from a standpoint of getting a satisfying ending whether they have warning or not. 

I kind of wish they'd put it at 9 or 10 PM in season 7 just to see if it would shake any thinking enough to make a change. I guess I'm still disappointed that I signed up for a show that I thought taking a new look at the great fairy tales of literature (or at least movies) and I ended up getting a new take on theme park rides.

I do have to admit that even though I had heard Conviction was circling the drain, the first thing I thought when I saw them advertise the move to Sunday was....'they are going after the Good Wife audience.  Smart.'  Conviction is better at being the type of show it is than OUAT is at being the type of show it is.  If Conviction can find a Sunday audience, I think that hurts OUAT chances more than anything.

Conviction find an audience? LOL that's a joke. Abysmal ratings after a very strong lead in. That's not gonna change on Sundays.

Edited by Hookian
  • Love 1