Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Who's the fairest of them all?

• Start Topic

Wow, Once did good considering it was Easter!

I was afraid to look at the ratings too, at first.

It wasn't just Easter but the Elite 8 pushed the last two games later than usually which pushed into Prime Time so there was that too!

I know some people were disappointed two weeks ago there was no Rumple.  So this makes me scared for next week, since this one again had no Rumple.

Don't these episodes coincide with Robert's press duties for Barney Thomson?  I figured they wrote him out of the filming schedule for that.

That's because ABC renewed it prematurely before it hit cancellation-worthy numbers, just like Once. It's next season, which will run concurrently with Once's 6th season, will most likely be the last one, just like Once's 6th season.

Nashville has been doing cancellation-worthy numbers for the last two seasons. 

• Love 1

Not true, it's stayed between 1.9 and 1.0 (only just recently going under, like Once is about to do soon), and even now it has a larger audience than Once does (regularly getting over 4 million viewers live, whereas Once has now sunk to over 3 million.)

Edited by Mathius

Based on SpottedRatings' look at a show's average ratings vs. broadcast TV's average ratings, Once's decline from S3 to S5 is about the same as from S2 to S3:

S2 129% of the broadcast TV average rating

S3 116% of the broadcast TV average rating (-10%)

S5 estimated 92% of the broadcast TV average rating by season's end (-21% over 2 years, so that would be as if it had 2 annual -11% declines.)

Nashville had 78% S2, 80% S3, and an estimated 63% S4.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 2

The sad thing (about the future of traditional television) is that Quantico is considered a success for doing in S1 about the same ratings Once is doing in S5. If you looked at the ratings of shows that were canceled 5 years ago, they would equal "huge success" for today.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's probably too late for others in this situation, but I realized at 8pm that my PVR was not turning on, and I found that the Canadian network that airs "Once" (CTV) has decided to skip tonight's episode in favor of airing some music award show.  Switch to record on ABC if you have access to it.  That was a close one... almost missed tonight's episode.  Though I had to watch some of the middle parts to make sure it was taping correctly, and that's not really ideal... but I'll watch the episode from the beginning once it is over.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

It's probably too late for others in this situation, but I realized at 8pm that my PVR was not turning on, and I found that the Canadian network that airs "Once" (CTV) has decided to skip tonight's episode in favor of airing some music award show. Switch to record on ABC if you have access to it. That was a close one... almost missed tonight's episode. Though I had to watch some of the middle parts to make sure it was taping correctly, and that's not really ideal... but I'll watch the episode from the beginning once it is over.

it aired on ctv2. I always watch on abc anyways but it was the one time this year that the Canadian channel took over and I missed the preview.

Question: Has a date been published for the S5 finale yet? I think I'm going to go ahead and save that date. :)

Answering my own question:

SUNDAY, MAY 15

7 pm Once Upon a Time (two hours; “Only You”/”An Untold Story”)

• Love 1
SUNDAY, MAY 15

7 pm Once Upon a Time (two hours; “Only You”/”An Untold Story”)

Ugh, I'll be out of town. But I should be free for the evening. The conference will be over, and the hotel surely will get ABC. I can get takeout or room service and watch in my hotel room. Unless someone in Chicago is planning a viewing party.

It's probably too late for others in this situation, but I realized at 8pm that my PVR was not turning on, and I found that the Canadian network that airs "Once" (CTV) has decided to skip tonight's episode in favor of airing some music award show.

Well, it's definitely too late now, but for the future, they did move it to CTV TWO  at the regular time.

For interested non-Canadians, Canadian stations (e.g. CTV and Global)  simulcast a lot of US programs from a number of different broadcasters and will sometimes get caught out by specials (either one program running a double episodes or shows like the Oscars). They will either shunt programs to an earlier time or to their second tier stations (which are not always available in all markets). They sometimes pitch the episode altogether (or may air it on a different, obscure day). You can generally watch it on their on-line, site though (for a week).

Last night they aired Canada's version of the Grammies called the Junos.

I wonder if I have CTV Two.  My PVR wasn't "smart" enough to realize it... it didn't even know to tape it on ABC.  I'm just glad I saw just in time.  It doesn't happen very often so I was surprised.

Ratings

The seventeenth episode (”Her Handsome Man”) of Once Upon A Time’s season five stayed steady with last week’s initial 1.1 in the demographics. It declined only a tiny bit to a 3.70 million viewers, from last week’s 3.78 million.

Once actually went up in the ratings, a 1.2 in the second half. 

Also ABC has renewed Castle w/o Stana and Nashville. There's no way next season is Once's last. They need dramas on the network that are not Shonda shows.

• Love 1

The drop in the second half-hour would probably be to all the bigots tuning out when they saw where this was going.

I think we'll have a better idea how much 5x18 may affect the rest of the season.

It's just a sad day when people are so closed minded, and so set in their own ways that they can't see how good a thing that kiss was last night. Making abstraction of the whole ship controversy, the TLK and the happiness that followed that was a really nice moment.

Once actually went up in the ratings, a 1.2 in the second half.

Also ABC has renewed Castle w/o Stana and Nashville. There's no way next season is Once's last. They need dramas on the network that are not Shonda shows.

They havent renewed Castle or Nashville. And IF Castle continues it will be without Stana Katic, Tamala Jones, and possibly others.

And Once shouldnt exactly celebrate. There are rumors that ABC took a shotgun-axe to the budget.

If this show needs to cut its budget, it could save a lot of money if they just axed the already way-too-large regular cast. I can think of 4-5 regular characters off the top of my head who could easily be cut to recurring or guest star.

• Love 1

I mean, it was a 6% drop from the first to second half hour. Quantico had a 7% drop; I'm *guessing* it didn't have a lesbian storyline episode. 

I think last week had a similar drop too. And the week before that.

Edited by jjjmoss

They havent renewed Castle or Nashville. And IF Castle continues it will be without Stana Katic, Tamala Jones, and possibly others.

And Once shouldnt exactly celebrate. There are rumors that ABC took a shotgun-axe to the budget.

When did those rumors start? I haven't seen anything about an axed budget.

Deadline confirmed that ABC was planning on renewing Castle and Nashville have confirmed they'll have new show runners for S5. I don't think you need to put two and two together for it to be clear they will be back.

Once should celebrate because on a network that is doing horrible it still manages to shine and it's the best drama aside from the Shonda trio. Also a reminder that they're not gonna kill all their old dramas in one year. 

Once won't end next season.

• Love 1

I think Once viewer who still watch I probably there for the rest of the season ( I do not believe that the kiss will have a big impact, but will see) so I am happy with the rating for now.

I unfortunely it does seem Castle will be back for at least one more season.

Even without a big draw next season will beginning with a little boost adding the actual trend in the rating I believe more than I used to that Once will have a 7 season short or not.

Helpful for the show's position on the network totem pole is that The Catch just went below a 1 rating, so 100% of ABC's new shows failed to maintain a 1 rating. If next season is as awful, a full S7 should be a cert.

• Love 2

Ugh, looks like they're doing the two-hour season finale starting at 7pm. But seriously, why? Is The Family doing well at all? In the past, they've bumped other shows to following week so they could get the two hours for Once starting at 8pm. It's a little odd, and makes me worry about the ratings for the finale. (image from tumblr user hooks-and-feathers)

tumblr_inline_o57u4kEzVz1t41xsz_540.png

Edited by sharky

Okay, that's smart if it's because of GOT, but hopefully they promo it well (ABC... promoing OUAT well? Yeah, I know, I'm dreaming).

It will probably be promoted at the end of episode 5x21. Next week at a special time, a special 2 hour event.

And that will be about it. People who don't watch the promo might not even know that it's an hour earlier than usual. 

Once might benefit from AFV's ratings which I don't think are all that bad. I could also be totally wrong about that.

(never mind, ratings aren't all that great for AFV).

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 1

I think Once viewer who still watch I probably there for the rest of the season ( I do not believe that the kiss will have a big impact, but will see) so I am happy with the rating for now.

I unfortunely it does seem Castle will be back for at least one more season.

Even without a big draw next season will beginning with a little boost adding the actual trend in the rating I believe more than I used to that Once will have a 7 season short or not.

And Castle still has yet to be renewed and is looking less and less likely as the days go by. The producers have yet to approach Jon Huertas and Seamus Dever, and they are still in negotiations with Nathan Fillion.

Regardless, Castle getting or not getting another season has nothing to do with Once getting a 7th. They aren't fighting for the same place on the schedule. Ultimately, Once is fighting with new shows and the few existing shows ABC could move into the slot.

Last night got a 1.2, which matches the revised number from last week. Also, it tied with The Simpsons as the best primetime show of the night (looks like it also tied with America's Funniest Home Videos but some people don't consider 7pm on Sundays as primetime). TVbytheNumbers

• Love 1

You know things are slow and steady when it takes forever for someone to update this thread. Sure enough, 1.2 and 3.8 million viewers again in the demo last night.

A few things to consider for next week. First, two shows that compete against Once in the 8pm slot -- Little Big Shots and Madam Secretary -- had their finales last night so those won't be there next week. Second, the episode starts at 7pm next. So will ABC give it extra publicity because of the different start time? Will the difference affect the 7pm ratings or the 8pm rating? Why the hell is ABC doing that in the first place when The Family and Quantico are such underperformers?

Anyway, slow and steady wins the season I guess. Let's see what happens next week.

A 7:00 start is family-friendly and abc cares about those viewers. This is a family show and Sunday is a school night. Lots of kids who watch the show have a 9:00 bedtime.

But in the past, these two-hour finales have started at 8pm and gone until 10pm, so I don't know why this year is different. It's a valid argument, sure, but doesn't seem like one they've taken into consideration before. Also, it's better to have a show start at it's normal time and run longer than start at a different time and end as usual. ABC is really going to have to push to make sure viewers remember the change.

There are lots of viewers who watch AFV and then stay tuned for OUAT so for them it is not a huge change. In past years there was a drop in live viewers for the second hour, maybe in part because people have other shows, like GoT, they want to watch live at 9:00. I suppose the new president wants to try something different.