Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: My Life In 7 Suitcases

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, TzuShih said:

That IS SO COOL, Pamela, that you got to do The Saga of Jenny in a musical revue.  What fun that must have been!!  YouTube has videos of Gertrude Lawrence singing the song, as well as Julie Andrews in the film STAR.  Am so happy to have found someone else who put "TLC Jenny" together with the 'poor Jenny' of Kurt Weill.  ☺️☺️  "But she would make up her mind!☺️☺️

I did two musical revues that year (1978), one at my college and one at a neighboring university where I was part of the MT crew, and got to perform the most fun, eclectic batch of songs ever between the two!!!

IMHO Lady in the Dark was so unsung (pun unintended) ... “My Ship” was one of my main audition songs for years, done a little jazzier. 

Also ... my other fave line in Jenny”? “In 27 languages she couldn’t say no!”

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
On 6/23/2020 at 7:22 PM, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

Yazans father is beautiful, very striking and  handsome. 

I agree, he has a very kind face and wise eyes. 

On 6/23/2020 at 8:13 PM, mamadrama said:

I liked him, too. A lot of times westerners look at Muslim marriages (which are often, though not always, arranged) and because of the no dating, no kissing, no physicality, no being alone before marriage stuff they see them as transactional without love being involved. There really CAN be a lot of romance involved, though. Him suggesting the flowers was sweet. Father Yazan knows a thing or two. 

When I worked at the dental school almost all our Masters students were Muslim, mostly from Saudi,  but also from Kuwait, UAE, Jordan, Syria, Dubai, all over the Middle East. One of my jobs was to receive their theses and upload them to an online database--I always made it a point to read their acknowledgements and their dedications. They all, men and women, included lovely and touching tributes to their husbands and wives. It always made my day. Just because they conduct their private lives behind closed doors does not mean they don't have loving partnerships. 

On 6/23/2020 at 11:43 PM, Leilani said:

Dare I say I'm tired of the crying from Armando and Kenneth.  I also know several women who have been been married to down low men who decide to come out later in life and the women are devastated by the deception.  Armando feels victimized and victimized a woman in the process.

(raising hand) ME! I am sick of all the sniveling and sobbing. Armando came out to his parents years ago and they've refused to talk about it, covering their ears and going "LALALALALALALALA". He's 32 years old! Sure, its sad that he's moving further away but, like Kenny, he's not moving to Tierra del Fuego or Irkutsk or Easter Island. He's a comparatively easy distance and they can see him all the time. Ditto Kenny's Greek chorus of weepers. Jesus, you'd think he was off to Molokai to minister to the lepers, never to be seen again. I like them both as individuals but they need to stop borrowing trouble. 

On 6/24/2020 at 12:04 AM, John M said:

I would suggest you not struggle and have almost exclusive sympathy for the child tortured with hatred that he has to live with his entire life and not the people that, at a minimum, enabled it.

Internalized homophobia and our relationship with the people, often our own family, that committed that act of violence against us is a very understated trauma that almost all gay people have to live with, even with "pride".

Thank you for saying this. Armando's parents aren't adorable, blameless, loving parents who are just bewildered. 

On 6/24/2020 at 1:55 AM, RealReality said:

Have we discussed her braces?  Her teeth look nice and straight to me, so is she just wearing the braces for aesthetics?  I think someone said that the person who put them on has to take them off, but still...those braces are......a lot.

That was me, per an Orthodontics resident I knew when I worked at the dental school. Anyone with more detailed knowledge feel free to correct me! 

On 6/24/2020 at 8:20 AM, snarkish said:

This was what I was wondering from the first sight of her. With my 2nd about to finish Orthodontics...yeah. I can't imagine she's already found herself a Jordanian Orthodontist wiling to pick up her treatment (with adjustments/visits needing to be made every 4-8 weeks). And as for her treatment she appears to be near the end, but I did notice a wonky upper incisor when she smiles so I think she's not quite finished yet. 

Exactly. Orthdontic treatment isn't like any other specialty. 

On 6/24/2020 at 12:45 PM, Colfrmb said:

Does Yazan’s culture/religion allow for multiple wives and I wonder if they have discussed that?  Let’s see a season where the woman moving out of the US is actually planning to integrate into a harem type situation.  These ones who do stupid things that are even illegal in the US and then rant about their uber rights as an Americans while behaving badly abroad are losing their charm for me.

Its a tenet of Islam that a man can have up to four wives. BUT he has to treat them all the same. One gets a diamond necklace, they all get a diamond necklace. One gets a vacation, they all get a vacation. The harem is pretty much outdated nowadays. Harem just means women's quarters anyway, so it would be mother in law, aunts, nieces and so on, the whole extended family living in a compound. Its simply not practical for most Muslim men to have multiple wives--who can afford it? Unless you're a member of the Saudi Royal family or something. Yazan, on his fishmonger's salary, isn't likely to be able to go there. It is very uncommon these days. And in most Muslim majority countries a woman can have it written into her marriage contract that her husband will not take any additional wives. 

For background, try Marianne Alireza's book, "At the Drop of a Veil". She married a Saudi Arabian man in 1945 and spent 12 years living in the harem. Now, this was over 50 years ago, and times have changed. But its very interesting! https://www.amazon.com/At-Drop-Veil-Marianne-Alireza/dp/1568591020

And Queen Noor of Jordan, (formerly Lisa Halaby from Washington DC), is a very interesting woman who wrote a wonderful book-"Leap of Faith, Memoirs of an Unexpected Life". Its great for some insight from an American perspective on living in a Muslim country (though of course as queen, her life is rarefied and privileged, not like Brittany's life as the wife of the fish stall guy, would be). And of course, background on Jordan. Too bad Brittany didn't pick it up before giving up her wig stand and tequila. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 6/25/2020 at 12:53 AM, Armchair Critic said:

Sumit still seems like he is doing something shady and Jenny is a drip. The only person I am rooting for is Sumit's wife, I hope she gives Sumit and Jenny hell. LOL

I agree. I hope she takes Sumit to the cleaners. Imagine having to go home and tell your family and friends that your husband prefers a delusional wrinkly whinging 60 year old! 

On 6/28/2020 at 7:46 PM, mamadrama said:

I like to think the flower pot on the head thing was just them messing with her.

I have to agree! 

15 hours ago, TzuShih said:

That IS SO COOL, Pamela, that you got to do The Saga of Jenny in a musical revue.  What fun that must have been!!  YouTube has videos of Gertrude Lawrence singing the song, as well as Julie Andrews in the film STAR.  Am so happy to have found someone else who put "TLC Jenny" together with the 'poor Jenny' of Kurt Weill.  ☺️☺️  "But she would make up her mind!☺️☺️

I saw the movie "Star!" and had the soundtrack album! Poor Jenny! Bright as a penny! 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Thank you for saying this. Armando's parents aren't adorable, blameless, loving parents who are just bewildered. . 

And Queen Noor of Jordan, (formerly Lisa Halaby from Washington DC), is a very interesting woman who wrote a wonderful book-"Leap of Faith, Memoirs of an Unexpected Life". Its great for some insight from an American perspective on living in a Muslim country (though of course as queen, her life is rarefied and privileged, not like Brittany's life as the wife of the fish stall guy, would be). And of course, background on Jordan. Too bad Brittany didn't pick it up before giving up her wig stand and tequila

For the record, since this was a reply to me and before this takes on a life of its own, I never said that Armando's parents were "blameless" or "bewildered." I never said that anybody's parents were, nor did I suggest that such attitudes were acceptable or okay. I simply said I had "sympathy" for the parents who desired to be accepting but whose culture and upbringing dictated otherwise. My respect is for those who grew up like that yet later in life recognized that their beliefs are NOT okay and have tried their best to change moving forward. Because that's not easy. And for real changes to be made we're going to have to see a lot more people making those changes and letting go of long-held beliefs.

Queen Noor is an interesting person. Even though Jordan may be considered more progressive in some ways, Yazan's family seems to be conservative. This was never going to work, and I don't think Brittany cares if it does or not. She's just here for the cameras.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

For the record, since this was a reply to me and before this takes on a life of its own, I never said that Armando's parents were "blameless" or "bewildered." I never said that anybody's parents were, nor did I suggest that such attitudes were acceptable or okay. I simply said I had "sympathy" for the parents who desired to be accepting but whose culture and upbringing dictated otherwise. My respect is for those who grew up like that yet later in life recognized that their beliefs are NOT okay and have tried their best to change moving forward. Because that's not easy. And for real changes to be made we're going to have to see a lot more people making those changes and letting go of long-held beliefs.

???? I wasn't responding to you at all, but to @Leilani and @John M, who I quoted in my post. 

I suggested Queen Noor's book in case anyone was interested. Not to say that it gave a complete portrait of Jordan, or that the culture is one size fits all. 

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I did two musical revues that year (1978), one at my college and one at a neighboring university where I was part of the MT crew, and got to perform the most fun, eclectic batch of songs ever between the two!!!

IMHO Lady in the Dark was so unsung (pun unintended) ... “My Ship” was one of my main audition songs for years, done a little jazzier. 

Also ... my other fave line in Jenny”? “In 27 languages she couldn’t say no!”

Yes! I LOVED that "In 27 languages she couldn't say no!" line!!!  Gotta say, I envy your ability to sing these songs.  I've been in the acting profession for lots of years (tho I haven't done a show very recently), and my BIGGEST lament was never being able to belt out a song.  Or. dance.  Forget "triple threat!"  I was consigned to be an actor ("single threat?") ☺️ and never have had the fun of musicals (except in community stuff).  But still -will 'live 'n die loving acting!  Good luck to you...& applause for your good taste in audition material!

• Love 1