Type keyword(s) to search

Paris Match: The Media Thread

• Start Topic

I just found this Twitter thread where a Parisian hate watches (mocks endlessly) Emily in Paris. Every episode has a few tweets about it and then a tweet linking to the next episode's review is usually at the end.  It's hilarious but also brings up so many valid criticisms that I hadn't seen mentioned yet.

• Love 2

So is this an American production shot in Paris so it would be eligible for the Golden Globes and Emmies but a show like Lupin is a French production, financed by Netflix, so it wouldn't be eligible for Golden Globes or Emmies?

BTW, Lupin has some interesting photography of Paris.  Aside from the pilot filed under the Louvre Pyramide, they don't go for the same postcard type of shots at Emily in Paris.  It's more at th ground level, going to places where people live.

Vive la difference!

• Useful 1

Golden Globes gonna Globe.  

39 minutes ago, aghst said:

So is this an American production shot in Paris so it would be eligible for the Golden Globes and Emmies but a show like Lupin is a French production, financed by Netflix, so it wouldn't be eligible for Golden Globes or Emmies?

I don't know if it'd be eligible.  I think it would be as some British productions get nominated.  

Lupin wasn't eligible this year because it came out in 2021. 

This is hilarious as the show - while cute - was terrible. However for some reason Lilly Collins charm makes me overlook this and I’m just happy for her.

I’m gutted there’s no red carpet and proper show as would love to see what she would have worn.

• Love 1

I can't get worked up about which show or actor got snubbed. The Golden Globes are voted for by just ~90 foreign journalists - not industry experts or critics - who also have a bit of a track record for nominating popular actors/shows just to make their red carpet more insteresting. The GG are no indicator of quality. We shouldn't complain about snubs, but rather laugh about the HFPA's bad taste in movies and TV shows.

Edited by Aulty

If you're still scratching your head over how this show got two Golden Globe nominations, the LA Times did a story about the HFPA. Among other things:

Many observers also were confounded by the multiple major noms for Sia's widely panned and controversial film Music and the aforementioned TV series Emily in Paris. While the former remains inexplicable, the Times reports that Paramount Television flew more than 30 HFPA members to France in 2019 to visit the set of the latter. There, they were treated to "a two-night stay at the five-star Peninsula Paris hotel, where rooms currently start at about $1,400 a night, and a news conference and lunch at the Musée des Arts Forains, a private museum filled with amusement rides dating to 1850 where the show was shooting," the Times reported.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 2/22/2021 at 1:31 PM, dubbel zout said:

The Golden Globes have always been a joke. It's about getting big stars to show up to the broadcast.

Yeah, it's like a step above the MTV Movie Awards. That's why you've always tended to see more popular, fluffy entertainment repped here, because the Golden Globes were always more transparent about being a popularity contest as opposed to the more highbrow Oscars. Emily in Paris is perfectly in line with the vibe of the Golden Globes. Why are we suddenly taking this seriously? 

Edited by methodwriter85

Costume Designers Guild Award nomination!

Excellence in Contemporary Television
Emily in Paris: "Faux Amis" – Patricia Field & Marilyn Fitoussi
Euphoria: "Part 1: Rue - Trouble Don’t Last Always" – Heidi Bivens
I May Destroy You: "Social Media is a Great Way to Connect" – Lynsey Moore
Schitt's Creek: "Happy Ending" – Debra Hanson
Unorthodox: "Part 2" – Justine Seymour

But it's not really limited to this show.

Monica and Rachel's apartment is in a neighborhood of properties which go well into 8 figures.

TV shows in general build studios which are expansive, to have room for lighting, cameras and other gear, to be able to film with multiple people.

So depictions of apartments in big, expensive cities are bigger than they would be.

Maybe Girls showed them living in relative squalor.

• Love 1

In Friends, I think the excuse they used was that Monica was basically committing fraud -- it was some great aunt's rent-controlled apartment she let Monica take over or something.  

To it's relative credit, I think in Emily in Paris, the company was helping to pay for her housing and did pay for her to relocate, so that article should've left out her travel costs and discounted her rent.      

• Love 1

ModernGurlz did another review on the show. She did actually find the show improved from what it was like in the first season, although she hated that Camille's fashion sense was destroyed this year. LOL. This review does include spoilers.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I don't have the link handy, but I read an article a few weeks ago saying Kim Cattrall was a possible cast addition for Season 3, playing her SATC character Samantha Jones (who has been written out of the SATC revival And Just Like That as having moved to Europe -- IRL, she's not part of the revival because she and Sarah Jessica Parker legit hate each other). It would just be a matter of who owned the character for TV purposes: Darren Star, HBO, or Candace Bushnell.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I recently binged watched the Netflix series "Emily in Paris" and I have to say, it was a delightful watch. From the moment the opening credits rolled and the beautiful shots of Paris appeared on screen, I knew I was in for a treat.

The show follows the story of Emily, a young American woman who moves to Paris for work. As someone who has never been to Paris, I found myself envious of her experiences and the stunning shots of the city throughout the series. The show's protagonist, Emily, is a relatable and likable character, played by the talented Lily Collins. I found myself rooting for her as she navigated the cultural differences between the United States and France, which lead to some humorous and endearing moments throughout the series.

One of the things I loved most about the show was its diverse and well-developed supporting cast. Each character was unique and brought their own charm to the show, from the stylish and sophisticated Sylvie, Emily's boss, to the charming and flirtatious Gabriel, a love interest for Emily. The dynamic between the characters was enjoyable to watch and added depth to the story.

Additionally, the show explored themes of culture, career, and relationships in a relatable and thoughtful way. It gave me a lot of to think about and reflect.

Overall, "Emily in Paris" is a feel-good series that will transport you to the City of Love and leave you wanting more. With its charming characters, beautiful scenery, and heartwarming storyline, it's a must-watch for anyone in need of a little escapism. It may not be the most groundbreaking, deep or complex show but it definitely is a nice and fun one to watch.

• Like 2