Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation: Season Forty Six of SNL

• Start Topic

Until the pandemic, I'd expected a fairly high number of departures - I'd guessed Aidy, Cecily, Kate, Beck, Kyle and Pete. Now I'm not sure. I am mostly wondering about Kate and Cecily, because of the last sketch (Cecily being the centerpiece and everyone waving goodbye to her; Kate waving goodbye to us and fading out). Aidy has seemed to suggest she wants to come back.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/podcasts/aidy-bryant-snl-shrill-1234618031/

Aidy Bryant admits that she does think about the day when she’ll say goodbye to “Saturday Night Live.” “I sometimes see these new people, and I’m like, ‘I want to make room for them,’” Bryant, who has been with “SNL” since 2012, says on Thursday’s episode of the Variety and iHeart podcast “The Big Ticket.” “But I’m still having so much fun there, and I still feel challenged there, and it’s my home. It’s truly where I started. When I got hired, I had never been on camera in any form.”

I Think if they are not going back to the studio, then they Need to make New episodes at home. I don't think Beck should leave just because Kyle leaves if Kyle does leave . I don't think it is enough to have just Mikey. I Think they need both Mikey and Beck . I think that Aidy should stay if she is still having fun and is even being challenged. They can have Aidy and the newer people.

On 5/31/2020 at 1:09 AM, Pete Martell said:

Until the pandemic, I'd expected a fairly high number of departures - I'd guessed Aidy, Cecily, Kate, Beck, Kyle and Pete.

That's a lot of people. I don't think Lorne would willingly let that many go at one time. Remember when Kristin and Andy left, he specifically told Bill Hader and Sudeikis that he still needed them for another year. Jason in particular seemed very half-hearted about it, but he did it. (The wiser cast members always stay on Lorne's good side. The fact that Taran didn't get that or care about it still kills me. He's not going to have the career he should have, but I digress.)

Aidy doesn't sound like she's going. Not trying to sound snotty, but will Beck and Kyle really find a better gig or platform suited for their talents?  I just don't see either of them being ready to leave.

Kate, on the other hand, is in a very interesting and strange spot. She's already graciously given Lorne an extra year (I remember him asking publicly- I think it was at the Emmys?), and  she's obviously more than ready to take her leave. The only thing is she's in a bit of a holding pattern waiting to see how much Elizabeth Warren is needed in the Fall. Doesn't make sense to say goodbye only to come back for a debate sketch and what have you.

Pete is also really hard to know. I get the sense someone got to him after his angry interviews about being disrespected and assured him they love him. Or his Mom and quarantine did some wonders for him. Whatever happened, he was more at peace in the Home shows that I've ever seen him. He was clearly having fun.

All of this is fun to speculate on when you are still stuck at home.     

• Love 3
7 hours ago, vb68 said:

That's a lot of people. I don't think Lorne would willingly let that many go at one time. Remember when Kristin and Andy left, he specifically told Bill Hader and Sudeikis that he still needed them for another year. Jason in particular seemed very half-hearted about it, but he did it. (The wiser cast members always stay on Lorne's good side. The fact that Taran didn't get that or care about it still kills me. He's not going to have the career he should have, but I digress.)

Aidy doesn't sound like she's going. Not trying to sound snotty, but will Beck and Kyle really find a better gig or platform suited for their talents?  I just don't see either of them being ready to leave.

Kate, on the other hand, is in a very interesting and strange spot. She's already graciously given Lorne an extra year (I remember him asking publicly- I think it was at the Emmys?), and  she's obviously more than ready to take her leave. The only thing is she's in a bit of a holding pattern waiting to see how much Elizabeth Warren is needed in the Fall. Doesn't make sense to say goodbye only to come back for a debate sketch and what have you.

Pete is also really hard to know. I get the sense someone got to him after his angry interviews about being disrespected and assured him they love him. Or his Mom and quarantine did some wonders for him. Whatever happened, he was more at peace in the Home shows that I've ever seen him. He was clearly having fun.

All of this is fun to speculate on when you are still stuck at home.     

I agree. 

I was basing my thoughts on Beck and Kyle partly on Kyle saying last year (I believe) he might just do another year or two (I think this was on Marc Maron's podcast), and Beck's wife seems to do a lot of work on the West Coast, but that's just spec and was pre-pandemic, of course.

I also agree that normally so many cast wouldn't leave at once. It's more that there has never been this many people who have been around for such a lengthy period of time. Beck and Kyle were on 7 seasons, Cecily and Aidy 8, Kate 8 and a bit of change. Pete is at 6. So a part of me thinks something will give, particularly when they will still have about 11 or 12 people in the cast. 

I do wonder how much budget cuts will influence the decision. 

I keep forgetting Kate may still be playing Warren. I guess if that becomes an issue, they could have Chloe play her. I think she has outside of SNL.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I keep forgetting Kate may still be playing Warren. I guess if that becomes an issue, they could have Chloe play her. I think she has outside of SNL.

I don't think Kate's Warren is especially indispensable. I'd be happy to see someone else do it -- although Chloe seems to tend toward more fragile and ethereal characterization. If Chloe can pull it off though more power to her.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I don't think Kate's Warren is especially indispensable. I'd be happy to see someone else do it --

After the election when things hopefully calm down, sure. They probably wouldn't need it very often anyway.  But in all the hype (and typically higher ratings) leading into November, Lorne will want his A team on the field.

5 hours ago, vb68 said:

After the election when things hopefully calm down, sure. They probably wouldn't need it very often anyway.  But in all the hype (and typically higher ratings) leading into November, Lorne will want his A team on the field.

I guess I just don't see Kate's Warren impression as her A game and I don't see any reason why she should stay for that alone, election or no election. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I feel even more certain now that Lorne and who knows maybe Colin and Che all sat down with Pete after his angry interviews early this year that he was being dissed on-air and hugged it out. When the Home shows started, you could immediately see the difference in Pete.

Some of his videos were really quite good especially the one with Sandler. It certainly doesn't bother me if he stays.

The one I'm most worried about losing is Cecily. I think her absence will leave a hole, especially with her impressions. Chloe is good but not quite there all the way yet for me.  Another year and she probably will be, but Cecily's impressions are the best. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, vb68 said:

I feel even more certain now that Lorne and who knows maybe Colin and Che all sat down with Pete after his angry interviews early this year that he was being dissed on-air and hugged it out. When the Home shows started, you could immediately see the difference in Pete.

Some of his videos were really quite good especially the one with Sandler. It certainly doesn't bother me if he stays.

I thought maybe the dynamic at home meant that Pete was insulated from the competition and what he perceived as unfriendliness of the studio environment, and also of course that he found it easier to live a cleaner lifestyle. I don't know whether that would stick once he is back in the studio.

• Love 4

Wow, I didn't realize Pete had six years in, probably because he's done so little.

He should move on, as should Aidy and Kyle. 

6 hours ago, vb68 said:

The one I'm most worried about losing is Cecily. I think her absence will leave a hole, especially with her impressions. Chloe is good but not quite there all the way yet for me.  Another year and she probably will be, but Cecily's impressions are the best. 

If she goes I will miss Cecily - I would have rather she stayed one more year as a changing of the guard, of any of the longstanding women in the cast - but it did feel to me like she was saying goodbye most of last season. If the newer group were in a bit stronger shape (Melissa is still struggling and I think Heidi was only just finding her sea legs in the At Home episodes) I would be more alright with her going. As it is now I hope she may consider one more season. 

13 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought maybe the dynamic at home meant that Pete was insulated from the competition and what he perceived as unfriendliness of the studio environment, and also of course that he found it easier to live a cleaner lifestyle. I don't know whether that would stick once he is back in the studio.

That's also my concern. Once we go back to the norm, with Pete barely appearing most weeks (if he is even in an episode), the resentments will return, and so will the unhappiness. Hopefully Lorne can work something out, because the conflict was becoming untenable by the time of the shutdown. I'd like Pete to have a more positive (presumably) final season.

• Love 3

I hope Cecily doesn't just disappear between seasons. I'll never forget the big, emotional farewell Kristin Wiig got in her last episode, and I think Cecily deserves something similar when she leaves. She's made as big a contribution to the legacy of the show, IMO, and it should be recognized. Same with Kate, whenever she goes. 

• Love 6
(edited)

So if Colin was being sincere that he's ready to check out after November, where do they possibly go with Update then?  Does Che stay on? I  rather doubt it, but he has seemed over it to me for some time now.

I could see Bowen getting a look at it, but that's just a guess with nothing to support it.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, vb68 said:

So if Colin was being sincere that he's ready to check out after November, where do they possibly go with Update then?  Does Che stay on? I  rather doubt it, but he has seemed over to me for some time now.

I could see Bowen getting a look at it, but that's just a guess with nothing to support it.

Grain of salt, cuz it's Michael and all, but he says he'll leave when Colin does.

I think Bowen would kill it at Update, but he also seems like the type who has a lot of "guest" type characters, and I can't see them wanting to give that up for him to anchor.

We also can't discount them giving it to whoever one of the current head writers is, as that's been SOP for over 20 years.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I hope Cecily doesn't just disappear between seasons. I'll never forget the big, emotional farewell Kristin Wiig got in her last episode, and I think Cecily deserves something similar when she leaves. She's made as big a contribution to the legacy of the show, IMO, and it should be recognized. Same with Kate, whenever she goes. 

I think the dream that Cecily had in the third episode at home was her Exit ! The streets of New York were Full and there was the Studio where she worked and she waved to her cast mates ! Then, they waved back and Kate and maybe others Faded away and she woke up ! That was maybe their way of saying Cecily would not have that kind of life any more meaning she was Leaving !

• Love 1

This is a great question.  In my pool would be Celicy leaving (and I'll miss her), perhaps to come back to host in a year or two, Kate depending on where Elizabeth Warren's career goes, and Che and Jost giving it one more year on update, as a transition.  I think everyone else will stay, in part because of the virus cutting filming options for other things, but we'll also see more people who skip an episode or several to work on side projects as those restart.  (California just approved filming to resume later this month, though it takes time to restart production even in normal times.)

It's also possible I'm wrong.

• Love 1

Cecily Strong was on Watch What Happens Live last night and she didn't give any indication that she was leaving either.  She talked about not knowing yet whether or not they'd be in studio in a way that made it seem like she'd be on the show regardless.

• Love 2

And on the other side of the equation, if they have to continue with the @Home Shows going into the Fall, which sadly still seems possible, I'm not sure they can properly audition and then hire new people?  That might be part of the thinking.  

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/10/2020 at 11:12 AM, vb68 said:

And on the other side of the equation, if they have to continue with the @Home Shows going into the Fall, which sadly still seems possible, I'm not sure they can properly audition and then hire new people?  That might be part of the thinking.  

Steven Castillo, one of the writers, tweeted this a few days ago:

This doesn't have to be about SNL (he could have a comedy special, his own show, or could just be joking), but if, say, Kyle and Beck are leaving (and by the end of last season Kyle did seem to be shifting back to his old roots), hiring someone inhouse would help save them time (and he'd probably be pretty good if given the chance).

Turns out it wasn't about SNL.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

I think this would be around for sometime until a vaccine is discovered. A set like SNL is a huge super spreader with the AC and lack of social distancing between audiences, crew members, etc. I was watching a bunch of SNL episodes and the audience in the front row is really close to the crews and the actors. No way Lorne is going to do that and you know there would have been lawsuits coming around. So the Stay at Home episode is the wise choice. 

• Love 2

I think the absolute best they could hope for would be doing in-studio episodes but without an audience. But even then, it's not just the cast that would be back in the building--writers, crew, etc. as well. 30 Rock is an old building with narrow hallways and probably not the most high-tech HVAC system. I fully expect at-home episodes for at least the rest of 2020.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I think the absolute best they could hope for would be doing in-studio episodes but without an audience. But even then, it's not just the cast that would be back in the building--writers, crew, etc. as well. 30 Rock is an old building with narrow hallways and probably not the most high-tech HVAC system. I fully expect at-home episodes for at least the rest of 2020.

Fallon has started his shows back in studio, but no audience, remote guests, and a bare bones crew and band. It's a bit odd. I wonder if Lorne is trying to see how it goes - maybe the sketches will still be remote but the host and the musical guest will be on the stage? 

7 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Fallon has started his shows back in studio, but no audience, remote guests, and a bare bones crew and band. It's a bit odd. I wonder if Lorne is trying to see how it goes - maybe the sketches will still be remote but the host and the musical guest will be on the stage? 

This is definitely possible, but that would limit them to NYC-based guests. If it's still not safe to have an audience in September, it won't be much safer for people to make the flight out from LA. International guests are likely also out of the question for quite some time.

There's also not going to be a lot to promote come fall, either. They're already starting to push October film releases into next year.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

This is definitely possible, but that would limit them to NYC-based guests. If it's still not safe to have an audience in September, it won't be much safer for people to make the flight out from LA. International guests are likely also out of the question for quite some time.

There's also not going to be a lot to promote come fall, either. They're already starting to push October film releases into next year.

There are a ton of NYC-based performers and also various friends/alum of the show who would probably host without having anything to promote (like Mulaney), but you're right. It may not be worth the trouble. 

Colin Jost had an interview today talking about how much he would prefer to go back if they could. If this wasn't an election year, then I'd say they might wait until even November, December, or January, but election years are often bread and butter for SNL so I'm not sure they would. 

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Colin Jost had an interview today talking about how much he would prefer to go back if they could. If this wasn't an election year, then I'd say they might wait until even November, December, or January, but election years are often bread and butter for SNL so I'm not sure they would. 

The situation would have to be completely untenable for them not to have political sketches before the election. Lorne knows full well that that's what drives the show. I could see it being very limited, though. They could just do Weekend Update Thursday if they had to or have half hour shows the night after debates.  They have done that before in prior years.

I really do agree that how The Tonight Show does with its limited crew/staff is the test case for them. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

4 hours ago, vb68 said:

The situation would have to be completely untenable for them not to have political sketches before the election. Lorne knows full well that that's what drives the show. I could see it being very limited, though. They could just do Weekend Update Thursday if they had to or have half hour shows the night after debates.  They have done that before in prior years.

I really do agree that how The Tonight Show does with its limited crew/staff is the test case for them. 

Here's an idea. Limit the live cast to say 7 people. Don't do such elaborate makeup and hair and focus more on politicians' personality, foibles, etc. rather than appearance and bringing in outside big names. Let that smaller cast move out of their comfort zones and try different things. I mean I know it's a radical idea, but I could see that kind of SNL succeeding for a year or so.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, wknt3 said:

Here's an idea. Limit the live cast to say 7 people. Don't do such elaborate makeup and hair and focus more on politicians' personality, foibles, etc. rather than appearance and bringing in outside big names. Let that smaller cast move out of their comfort zones and try different things. I mean I know it's a radical idea, but I could see that kind of SNL succeeding for a year or so.

I could see that working - I guess they might still not be able to have an audience though.

• Love 1
(edited)

That's a possibility. Though I am concerned about the AC itself in Rockefeller Center and I remember reading a person that went to a taping in the studio and saying it is very cold there. And that person reminded everyone willing to go to SNL to bring a jacket because it could be 40 or 50 degrees there, even if it's cold outside. Trust me. New York weather is very unpredictable.

Edited by Robert Lynch
10 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

That's a possibility. Though I am concerned about the AC itself in Rockefeller Center and I remember reading a person that went to a taping in the studio and saying it is very cold there. And that person reminded everyone willing to go to SNL to bring a jacket because it could be 40 or 50 degrees there, even if it's cold outside. Trust me. New York weather is very unpredictable.

Why do you talk about the Air Conditioning ? Nobody talked about the Air Conditioning other Seasons ! This is for the Fall Right ? Has the Air Conditioning been off and you think they would turn IT real high OR has the Air Conditioning been ON all this time and that would Freeze Them ?

All TV and film sets are kept heavily AC'd because of how hot the lights get. The SNL taping I went to was in November and I wore my coat the entire time, and I generally run on the warmer side.

I think so much of this depends on where we are in September. NYC has been doing really well recently, but that's because we've been avoiding things like cramming 200+ people into a tiny studio in an old skyscraper with outdated ventilation. I guess we'll see how this test case works out with Fallon. The major difference I see between the two shows is how much crew they would need. Fallon's set is stagnant; SNL's has to change after every commercial break. Not to mention makeup and costumes. They could maybe do some kind of combination of at home/pre-taped stuff and live stuff, with more time to change things over for sketches in the studio and with minimal personnel, and the writers could keep working remotely, but there definitely won't be an audience.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, helenamonster said:

All TV and film sets are kept heavily AC'd because of how hot the lights get. The SNL taping I went to was in November and I wore my coat the entire time, and I generally run on the warmer side.

I think so much of this depends on where we are in September. NYC has been doing really well recently, but that's because we've been avoiding things like cramming 200+ people into a tiny studio in an old skyscraper with outdated ventilation. I guess we'll see how this test case works out with Fallon. The major difference I see between the two shows is how much crew they would need. Fallon's set is stagnant; SNL's has to change after every commercial break. Not to mention makeup and costumes. They could maybe do some kind of combination of at home/pre-taped stuff and live stuff, with more time to change things over for sketches in the studio and with minimal personnel, and the writers could keep working remotely, but there definitely won't be an audience.

Rockefeller Center was built in the late 1930s and when SNL aired in 1975, it was already a 30+ year old building. And when Lorne started SNL, those old seats on top are originally from the Yankee Stadium which are still there to this day. One thing about theaters and audience setting in NYC is that they always close together. Which means you are touching butts and what little space you have.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1
On 7/16/2020 at 3:19 AM, Jody said:

Why do you talk about the Air Conditioning ? Nobody talked about the Air Conditioning other Seasons ! This is for the Fall Right ? Has the Air Conditioning been off and you think they would turn IT real high OR has the Air Conditioning been ON all this time and that would Freeze Them ?

Maybe because the ventilation system helps spread particles and because the AC has to be turned up so strong, they worry about disease spread, in addition to close seating issues.

Or not...  

• Love 2

Any Strokes fans who happen to be on here may want to know that they were apparently going to be the MGs on the April 11th episode of season 45 (Colin Jost talks with them in this video). So I guess they could be a possible S46 musical guest if things ever go back.

In cast speculation news, a few days ago Melissa Villasenor tweeted a vague statement which some interpreted as being about the show possibly going back to a studio (she basically said she doesn't even do anything without wearing a mask - she did not specifically mention SNL or 30 Rock though). This led to someone suggesting she would be "Jay Pharoah'd" (fired). She deleted her tweet, but did post this:

Usually cast exits start to come out in August so I guess we'll know for sure soon enough if she is going, or if anyone else is. Between the large amount of longterm players and the possibility of budget cuts with everything going on in the industry now, I will be surprised if we don't get at least a few exits. If Melissa is staying I just hope they will use her better. 

18 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Usually cast exits start to come out in August so I guess we'll know for sure soon enough if she is going, or if anyone else is.

Several years ago now Brooks Wheelan did his "Live from New York, you're FIRED!!" tweet in July. So it's very possible Melissa knows if she was cut or not. It's still kinda considered a faux pas to just announce it early. You don't get invited back for reunions or anything that way.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, vb68 said:

Several years ago now Brooks Wheelan did his "Live from New York, you're FIRED!!" tweet in July. So it's very possible Melissa knows if she was cut or not. It's still kinda considered a faux pas to just announce it early. You don't get invited back for reunions or anything that way.  

Melissa seems to wear her heart on her sleeve, so I do wonder if she knows and is subtweeting, or if it is just a coincidence. 

Going into this season, I'd wondered about Melissa, Alex, Kate and Cecily (the latter two being voluntary departures). I guess I still will.

• Love 1

On a different note, I'm very curious how committed Sudeikis is to playing Biden. I think through the Fall and election is probably fine. But is he willing to do it for another potential four years?  Somehow I just don't see it. Those discussions must be going on right now. I also don't view handing it off to Woody Harrelson either fulltime or part time when Jason isn't available as particularly viable, either.

I'm sure either Mikey or especially Alex would be fine in the role but god knows they are fond of handing the big political roles off to guest stars these days. And in fairness, it does get them more buzz than they would otherwise.     

Have Alec Baldwin do it one time and then have Lorne Jedi mind trick him into coming back again and again!  (Kidding.)  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, vb68 said:

On a different note, I'm very curious how committed Sudeikis is to playing Biden. I think through the Fall and election is probably fine. But is he willing to do it for another potential four years?  Somehow I just don't see it. Those discussions must be going on right now. I also don't view handing it off to Woody Harrelson either fulltime or part time when Jason isn't available as particularly viable, either.

I'm sure either Mikey or especially Alex would be fine in the role but god knows they are fond of handing the big political roles off to guest stars these days. And in fairness, it does get them more buzz than they would otherwise.     

Have Alec Baldwin do it one time and then have Lorne Jedi mind trick him into coming back again and again!  (Kidding.)  

I don't know if Jason is based in New York - if not that may make it harder for him to come back. I still wonder how much his Biden reflects today's Biden (although he did a decent job in his return this past season), but I would think Lorne would bring him back if he has the option. 

I guess they will stick with Baldwin to the end, but I would rather see them give two cast members this opportunity. They have the perfect reason to wean viewers off cameos with the present climate. If only...

• Love 1

So Cecily was on The Tonight Show last night, and it sure didn't sound like she was leaving. Jimmy even wished her luck on the upcoming season at the end of the interview.

• Useful 1
On 7/27/2020 at 9:16 AM, Pete Martell said:

I don't know if Jason is based in New York - if not that may make it harder for him to come back. I still wonder how much his Biden reflects today's Biden (although he did a decent job in his return this past season), but I would think Lorne would bring him back if he has the option. 

I guess they will stick with Baldwin to the end, but I would rather see them give two cast members this opportunity. They have the perfect reason to wean viewers off cameos with the present climate. If only...

Hello Pete Martell. Jason Has A New Show Named Ted Lasso ! I Think IF Joe Biden Wins The Election, Then, They Should Have John Mulaney Play Joe Biden ! I Like Jason Better, But I Was Not Completely Thrilled with Woody Harrelson I Don't Know Who Is Better Woody OR Mulaney, But I Like John Mulaney As A Person Any Way ! He IS Very Funny And I Think He Would Just Be Around More Than Woody ! Don't Get Me Wrong ! I Don't Have Any Thing Against Woody As A Person And I Liked Him In Cheers !

5 hours ago, Jody said:

Hello Pete Martell. Jason Has A New Show Named Ted Lasso ! I Think IF Joe Biden Wins The Election, Then, They Should Have John Mulaney Play Joe Biden ! I Like Jason Better, But I Was Not Completely Thrilled with Woody Harrelson I Don't Know Who Is Better Woody OR Mulaney, But I Like John Mulaney As A Person Any Way ! He IS Very Funny And I Think He Would Just Be Around More Than Woody ! Don't Get Me Wrong ! I Don't Have Any Thing Against Woody As A Person And I Liked Him In Cheers !

Jason recently said the decision is up to Lorne, so I guess if he can work it out he might return. I do think that with the pandemic they might be better off just trying to have cast members play Kamala and Biden, but that seems very unlikely these days. We will probably just get a lot of pre-taping instead. 

https://www.buzzfeedzz.com/en-us/video/other/jason-sudeikis-reveals-if-he-ll-return-to-snl-to-portray-joe-biden-exclusive/ZZ17CjCs

Jason was asked again about returning as Biden and said that was up to Lorne. The vagueness still makes me wonder if they aren't sure what they will do - whatever happens hopefully the writing will be sharp as I'm sure Jason can play it well.