Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

(edited)

Dominick returns to work before fully recovering from his accident; heavily medicated, Dominick recalls the disturbing incident that led to Thomas' first hospitalization while counting down the hours to Thomas' hearing with the Hatch review board.

Original air date: 5/31/20

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
4 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

At the end of this episode,

Hide contents

what was the opera that played over the trailer for episode 5 which showed his grandfather in Italy?

I think it's "Aria Nova," a folk song by an unknown artist, which was also played in Episode 1 when Dominick looked at the picture of his mother and grandfather. Link here.

This was an even harder episode to watch than 1-3 because of so many closeups of Dominick's face contorted with pain. 

The guy playing Dominick's hospital roommate Steve seemed kind of old for Nedra, and I was irked by the too convenient coincidence as I was in the book. I guess she visited Steve while Dominick was sleeping and recognized the guy in the other bed?

• Love 1

I was not expecting the old man to shoot himself so I legit gasped when that happened.

I want to like Dominick but it drives me crazy when he chooses to be so difficult. When he called Lisa and whoever answered the phone said she wasn't there and tried to take a message, Dominick would only give her his first name. He refused to give his last name or tell her why he was calling.

Yes, Lisa probably only knows one Dominick and she can probably assume that he's calling to find out what happened at Thomas' hearing but Dominick was a total dick to whoever was taking the message FOR NO REASON.

I know I should cut him some slack since he was probably traumatized, possibly still in pain, and definitely on drugs but this wasn't the first time he's been rude without provocation.

I know that Juliette Lewis warned Dominick not to read his grandfather's story but I want to know what his manuscript said!

Joy was really sticking to that "you're the father" story even after he told her that he'd had a vasectomy. That's some deep denial.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I want to like Dominick but it drives me crazy when he chooses to be so difficult. When he called Lisa and whoever answered the phone said she wasn't there and tried to take a message, Dominick would only give her his first name. He refused to give his last name or tell her why he was calling.

Yeah, and everyone knows (or should know) that organizations are not going to give out personal information (home phone, address, etc.) on employees. At best you hope they'll take your name and number and give the person a message. Come on, Dominick you're smarter than that!

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

The guy playing Dominick's hospital roommate Steve seemed kind of old for Nedra, and I was irked by the too convenient coincidence as I was in the book

IRL Joe Grifasi is old enough to be Juliette Lewis' father. I'd estimate he's about 30 years older.

Edited by preeya
21 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I think it's "Aria Nova," a folk song by an unknown artist, which was also played in Episode 1 when Dominick looked at the picture of his mother and grandfather. Link here.

Thanks. But, that was played over the end credits to the episode. I wanted to know the opera played over the preview to the next episode, number 5. 

4 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

Thanks. But, that was played over the end credits to the episode. I wanted to know the opera played over the preview to the next episode, number 5. 

La Boheme, the main tenor aria Che Gelida Manina.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

As much as I loved the book, I found the manuscript to be the most difficult part of the book as in my opinion it was twice as long as it needed to be to make the point it was conveying.  It’s a lot of history and some mystery/superstition of his life in the old country and his and Concettina’s emigration to America.

Without giving anything away, keep in mind the title is A Great Man from Humble Beginnings -  quite an arrogant title to refer to himself as a great man.

A small correction--Concettina is Dominick and Thomas's mother.

Spoiler

Domenico's wife is named Ignazia. He married her in America; he was a bachelor when he emigrated.

16 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

As much as I loved the book, I found the manuscript to be the most difficult part of the book as in my opinion it was twice as long as it needed to be to make the point it was conveying.  It’s a lot of history and some mystery/superstition of his life in the old country and his and Concettina’s emigration to America.

I'm assuming the manuscript was like a book within a book. Is this going to be another whole series we'll be watching once Dominick decides to read it? Will Ruffalo be portraying his grandfather?

Dominic - or Domenico as the social worker likes to call him - can be tough to like. Even though I've read the book, I've forgotten so much of it, but I do recall thinking "yikes Dominic!" a few times when I read it. It's the same now, but I also think it's a byproduct of who he is, how he was raised and living with a mentally ill twin. It's becoming clear that he has always born so much responsibility for Thomas - since the beginning, really. So there's that mix of resentment, love and obligation that's doing battle in there. And then you add in the abusive step-father and the dead daughter. That's just a lot.

When Dominic climbed the ladder to remove the shutters, I knew something bad was going to happen with the homeowner, but I couldn't remember exactly what. And then the guy came to the window and ugh, I remembered. I can't imagine witnessing something like that literally face to face. I have a friend who did the same and to even think about what she did is disturbing enough; to have to witness it (or even the aftermath) would be the stuff of nightmares and PTSD.

Rosie O'Donnell is, surprisingly, really working for me. I love the vibe between her character and Dominic. Honestly, I think the whole cast is superb. The story is a tough watch - we have to make sure we're in the right mindset before we watch it (and it's really hard these days). But I'm glad we're doing it because I think HBO has done a great job adapting this book.

17 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

Commenting on this in the book thread....

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Maysie said:

When Dominic climbed the ladder to remove the shutters, I knew something bad was going to happen with the homeowner, but I couldn't remember exactly what. And then the guy came to the window and ugh, I remembered. I can't imagine witnessing something like that literally face to face. I have a friend who did the same and to even think about what she did is disturbing enough; to have to witness it (or even the aftermath) would be the stuff of nightmares and PTSD.

Rosie O'Donnell is, surprisingly, really working for me. I love the vibe between her character and Dominic. Honestly, I think the whole cast is superb. 

I was about to ask in the book thread if the homeowner really shot himself, or if it was a pain meds induced hallucination, so thanks for answering my question before I asked it 🙂 

I'm so sorry about your friend 

I'm enjoying Rosie O'Donnell (and the rest of the cast) also. She & Mark Ruffalo as Dom have a good chemistry. She is really selling a detached but caring vibe regarding the Birdsey brothers. Really good performance from her; I forget I'm watching R O'D.

I hope Dominick & Dessa are end game. Not sure I could forgive a vasectomy, but they are obviously still in love with each other, and Dom needs a break. He's already like Job at this point, and I have no doubt there is much more to come. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

A small correction--Concettina is Dominick and Thomas's mother.

Reveal spoiler

Domenico's wife is named Ignazia. He married her in America; he was a bachelor when he emigrated.

Yes what I meant to type was Concettina’s mother. I figured if I said Ignazia people who hadn’t read the book wouldn’t know who that was. Then i went and botched it worse!

Gosh this is so hard to watch with all the depressing things going on right now.  I know he’s looking out for Thomas but wouldn’t the best place for him to be is in an institution if he’s not going to take the meds he needs?

• Love 1

Dominick brings a lot of grief on himself...very poor judgment in all areas of his life. Out of control....it suddenly occurred to me that he likely has Borderline Personality Disorder. Seriously...it’s as difficult to treat as his brother’s illness. He is not capable of being a caregiver for Thomas. Not even close.  

Didn't the director realize that no matter how much you press the morphine button, you only get a therapeutic dose? Lol

I’m trying to imagine what Rosie character and Dominick envisioned daily life like with Thomas, he and the girlfriend in that little apt. (This was before the accident.)

• Love 2

Dominick’s girlfriend not knowing he’d had a vasectomy rang false to me. If you started dating someone and having sex regularly wouldn’t you at some point talk about birth control? I can’t imagine a guy like him not saying something like “Don’t worry baby, I’m safe” when he was first seducing her. 

(edited)

You’d be amazed at how many people don’t discuss birth control or safety.  Some don’t even consider it. 

And Dominick isn’t exactly what I’d consider a catch or a desirable sexual partner.  He and the girlfriend both seem unstable and barely functioning. So depressing. 

Edited by LydiaE
Typos
  • Love 3

Yeesh, why dont they call this show A Series of Unfortunate Events or something? Dom can be really hard to like a lot of the time, and I think that he causes a lot of his own problems with his temper and defensiveness and inability to be honest with people, but his life is so relentlessly awful, with even the few good things in it falling apart (like his marriage to Desa) I mostly just feel really bad for him. 

Hopefully they can find a better place for Thomas, but he probably does need to be in a facility of some kind, I dont think that Dom has the training and ability to handle being his full time caretaker, which he clearly needs, and it seems like Thomas is getting worse. He needs more help than Dom can give him, and that sucks, but him being somewhere where he can get more advanced care is for the best. 

The acting is really great, and I especially love everything between Dom and the social worker, but could they maybe turn the lights on a bit more? Its always blue, everything has this dark tint, and its really not needed! The story is already depressing enough, we dont need even the lighting to be dark!

• Love 6