Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (AU) In the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

Here's a long-ish Daily Mail article on Ben: https://outline.com/2kxS9m (It may be the same stuff as in the links already posted here, but thought I'd mention it anyway.)

Yikes. Well, I suppose now I don't have to feel bad for him! 

On 5/12/2020 at 11:17 AM, katisha said:

I didn't even watch S1 but knew about Chris and Julia. Was this news to any of you?

It was to me - I had absolutely no idea. 😄 But then of course, AU celebrities don't very often appear in gossip rags in this side of the world.  

Edited by Rosenrot

I think my gaydar is broken. I know Reece and Brendan are besties but I didn't want to assume that a straight bloke and a gay bloke couldn't be good mates.  But I'm really glad Brendan has found his way back to better mental health through self-acceptance, and that he seems to have a good, supportive partner. 🙂

Meanwhile, Laura copped some Twitter abuse over the incident the other day after the pressure test when she tried to comfort Sarah T and there was kind of an awkward exchange which ended in Laura saying, "Oh, OK. I'll just go and hug someone else, then."  I'm not Laura's biggest fan but I don't think she had any ill intent in this case.

1 hour ago, katisha said:

Meanwhile, Laura copped some Twitter abuse over the incident the other day after the pressure test when she tried to comfort Sarah T and there was kind of an awkward exchange which ended in Laura saying, "Oh, OK. I'll just go and hug someone else, then."  I'm not Laura's biggest fan but I don't think she had any ill intent in this case.

That actually made me chuckle and like Laura a bit more. I found it a cute way to spin a clearly awkward moment. I think what she actually said was "I'm gonna go hug everyone else, then," which to me made it more like, "I'm gonna continue making the rounds comforting everyone else to give you some space." Not surprised about that, though. Laura strikes me as the kind of female contestant that isn't well-loved among fans (which says more about how society views women than about her specifically, imo).

I guess my gaydar is broken, too, katisha. Courtney also flew right over my head. Good for Brendan, though! He is a cutie and deserves to be happy.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, katisha said:

Agreed. I don't care for her, but I don't think she meant anything bad by it. Most people in other forums seem to really dislike her as well. 

Aww, Brendan. 🥰 I 100% thought he was straight! Just goes to show that you can't ever tell by appearance. 

• Love 1

Channel 10 claiming it was "not aware of the nature of the charges laid against Ben Ungermann by Victoria Police."

Seems... hard to believe, given they kicked him off the show. Because it could've been an arrest for all sort of minor things that you wouldn't expect to lead to his firing. I mean, it's possible the cops showed up at the hotel/apartments where they were all staying and arrested him there and that was enough to do it, but... they didn't ask?

Good grief! I can't believe how ready people are to get all ragey about stuff.  I remember the comment and I didn't take it AT ALL the way that some out there in social media clearly did.  And I don't think Reece did either.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, katisha said:

Good grief! I can't believe how ready people are to get all ragey about stuff.  I remember the comment and I didn't take it AT ALL the way that some out there in social media clearly did.  And I don't think Reece did either.

Yeah it was a joke made after he said that cooking fish was out of his comfort zone, and he gave a cheery "exactly" to her remark. If she'd penalized him for actually making a cake, sure, that would've been hypocritical without similar reprimands for Laura and Reynold etc, but that is not what happened. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, xchouchoutex said:

I just saw this on tweeter, it’s a cute picture but where is the 6’ distance required ?

03742EE1-FE67-4509-BDF8-62117D313F47.jpeg

We all know that when it comes to the contestants, it's just for show, they're trying to keep the aesthetic up for the public.  It's well known they live together and arrive together in vehicles (unless it's an elimination challenge... and wastefully use separate ones).  Possible cross contamination to and from the judges is the main concern, especially when we know they aren't constantly sequestered like the contestants are.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ReallyRealReality said:

We all know that when it comes to the contestants, it's just for show, they're trying to keep the aesthetic up for the public.  It's well known they live together and arrive together in vehicles (unless it's an elimination challenge... and wastefully use separate ones).  Possible cross contamination to and from the judges is the main concern, especially when we know they aren't constantly sequestered like the contestants are.

I believe actually this season they put them up in separate serviced apartments rather than one big house (and I don't think we've seen the cars since they started the "social distancing" episodes). 

But I would've thought it wasn't so much the judges but the large crew around them all -- touching all the same surfaces and equipment, miking them up, etc. Every cameraman and PA and stylist is going home to their family at the end of the day, maybe even catching public transport. 

Anyway, the contestants are outside in that picture and not breathing in each others' faces or touching each other so they're probably fine. I reckon they're worse off when they're all crammed in the pantry together. And the judges also seem to come up waaay closer than six feet to them during the cooks and talk face to face. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, SnideAsides said:

Who had "Reynold is a raging homophobe" on their 2020 bingo card?

Wow, is he ever on the wrong season! Doesn't exactly make me want him to win, either.  

2 hours ago, katisha said:

Wow, is he ever on the wrong season! Doesn't exactly make me want him to win, either.  

It was 2014 & he sounds mortified by it now. Could be damage control but I suspect he's grown up a lot since then.

Can you really grow from something like that? 

It really shouldn't be very hard to just be naturally decent about these matters and not need to grow. Now I really hope ANYONE but Reynold wins! And like hell will I ever eat anything from Koi again! 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Can you really grow from something like that? 

I kinda agree. Of course he says he's sorry and he's not that person anymore now that's it out there. I feel like if you're, say, 40+ and you're being crucified for something you said when you were 20, you can make a claim that you've grown from that and it's more believable. Six years isn't such a long time, I feel - more so because what he said was really quite hateful. I mean, can you really go from "homos are mentally ill freaks who should be put on an island" to "I wholeheartedly support them and care deeply for them" in 6 years? Or in a lifetime, for that matter? I guess it's possible, but I'm skeptical. 

And moreover, even if you felt like that way about gay people, what makes you want to spew that poison out loud? Like really? God knows I wasn't the most mature human being at 20, but it would never ever even cross my mind to go on a discussion forum and say something like that, no matter what the topic. Ever. 

Either way, even if he has grown from that, the fact that he has actually felt like that at some point in time is enough for me to feel VERY disappointed. 

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 2
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Rosenrot said:

I kinda agree. Of course he says he's sorry and he's not that person anymore now that's it out there. I feel like if you're, say, 40+ and you're being crucified for something you said when you were 20, you can make a claim that you've grown from that and it's more believable. Six years isn't such a long time, I feel - more so because what he said was really quite hateful. I mean, can you really go from "homos are mentally ill freaks who should be put on an island" to "I wholeheartedly support them and care deeply for them" in 6 years?

I second this.  If he'd said something milder than that, I might be more tempted to buy it. In the context of what he's now known to have said a few short years ago, now that I think about it, this season Reynold has always been much more friendly with the straight guys, especially Ice-Cream Ben.  Maybe they bonded over body-building.  Maybe, in view of what we now know of ICB's arrest, they bonded over toxic masculinity. 

I also had slightly different attitudes when I was 20 than I do all these years later, but in terms of things I've always been dead-set against, such as racism or homophobia or mocking disabled people, my views have never changed one iota.

Edited by katisha
  • Love 2

^ Right! It's not like he said "I don't accept homosexuality because of my culture/religion/XYZ" or something like that (I wouldn't approve of that either, but it would at least make it a bit more understandable) - he went all out.  

And I realize the nature of that forum, and get that people probably say shit like that all the time in there. Still... not cool. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, xchouchoutex said:

I found this on facebook, pictures of Tessa’s birthday.. is she pregnant ?

Nothing's been said about it whatsoever but it sure looks that way!

• Love 1

My misfiring brain read the year 2013 as Reynold being 13 when he said the hate speech and thought him saying he is no longer that man was a reasonable response. Saying something stupid at  13 shouldn't follow someone their entire life. Then, a comment made me relook and saw it was 2013 not when he was 13 and I'm surprised it wasn't found when he was on the show the first time. 

I will never understand why people don't try and clean up their social media accounts before going public. Even though it was a website, not his personal IG, I'm surprised he didn't try and delete it.

(edited)

It looks like Reynold's infamous remarks didn't hurt his brand that much.

For whatever it's worth, it doesn't seem to me that Khanh, Reece or Brendan have any issues with Reynold.  Hard to say, though, whether that's because a) they didn't know about his remarks at the time of filming; b) they knew and don't care because he is fine in his interactions with them; or c) they are very good at hiding their true feelings.

Meanwhile, here is a nice interview with Simon following his booting where he talks about how close a friendship he and his partner struck up with Callum, Callum's wife and their young daughter.  Awww!

Edited by katisha
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, katisha said:

Meanwhile, here is a nice interview with Simon following his booting where he talks about how close a friendship he and his partner struck up with Callum, Callum's wife and their young daughter.  Awww!

It was a very nice interview with Simon.  What I find interesting is that Simon and Callum were roomies at the hotel, but they had Simon's partner and Callum's wife and baby with them.  I guess they had to offer some incentives to all the returning contestants.  I also guess that it was a hotel suite with two bedrooms and a kitchen, based on what Simon said.  I wonder if they will go back to a house for next season.

• Love 1
On 6/10/2020 at 5:09 AM, katisha said:

Sometimes I think we've come a long way in this country, and then you read things like this and realise we've got a ways to go.

Jesus. And I hadn't even heard about the Tudge thing. Although neither should have to spend their time and energy dealing with or educating people about this bullshit, good on Sarah for calling out Triple M and I'm glad that Melissa was able to back her up. Can you imagine the old judges offering anything constructive here? 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Is anyone watching Plate of Origin with Mat and Gary? Just wondered if it was worth it....

I am!!!! It's decent! Some really good cooking and the contestants are very positive. No crazies!

If you don't mind the judges (I've always found the judges to be fine for the most part) I think it's really watchable.

I actually just popped in here to recommend it to anyone who is still visiting this forum!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Rosenrot said:

A question, now that we have a premiere date for the Junior Masterchef: shall we be talking about it in here? Are people generally interested in discussing about it? I know I am. 😄 

Yes, please! I missed the premiere date - when does it start?